PDA

View Full Version : David Lee

beardown78
04-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Just wondering why D Lee doesn't seem to get the buzz of Amare or Bosh when free agency is discussed when IMO he's A better value with similar production at 20ppg and 12 rpg shooting at A 54% clip from the field and only 26 years old. Its seems alot of D Lee's hate comes from Knicks fans anxious to see him gone. Is Lee viewed as an upper echelon big man or is he viewed as just an average player putting up good numbers on A bad team? You're thoughts

RadiantShot
04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
David Lee is great. His only downfalls are his size on the team, and his defense, which can inadvertently be traced back to the size issue. The fact that he's on the Knicks doesn't help either.

29$JerZ
04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
He plays no D and his agent thinks he is a superstar type talent that deserves double digit millions annually.

Iodine
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
He has red hair so I sometimes confuse him for Satan (Matt Bonner)

On a serious, I don't see him as being the main frontcourt player on a championship team, but as a great secondary player

PC
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
David Lee is great. His only downfalls are his size on the team, and his defense, which can inadvertently be traced back to the size issue. The fact that he's on the Knicks doesn't help either.

Even when he plays guys his size, he refuses to contest shots so he could go after rebounds

abe_froman
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
because he sucks on defense and plays in a system that has the perception of inflating your stats

ChiSox219
04-08-2010, 03:24 PM
His production is impressive and the development of a mid-range J really improves his value. I think he's comparable to Amare, certainly not the same kind of offensive force but Lee is a much better rebounder, passer, and gives you a more consistent effort.

You look at Amare, you get a guy who has played most of his career in an up tempo offensive and with one of the best offensive PGs in league history. Given his penchant for slacking, I wonder if his numbers wouldn't drop off if he went to a team like Chicago or NY.

Lee is a year younger and has a better health history. Paying him $10-12 million might be the better alternative to paying Amare $16 million

Tony_Starks
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
He's not an top tier player. He's playing undersized C on a garbage team with an uptempo style. To his props he has worked on his J, but most of his J's are uncontested since the Centers are reluctant to leave the paint and put a hand up.

Now if he went to a Phoenix or Golden State where he could play the exact same way, he'd be a legit option. But on a team where he's expected to be a traditional 4 his numbers would reduce drastically.

Also he plays classic matador D.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Lee should command around $10 million per year in the open market this offseason. You get a good rebounder and decent scorer in the paint, with no defense, but he is a good PF who will fit a role

MagicDojo
04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
He's not an top tier player. He's playing undersized C on a garbage team with an uptempo style. To his props he has worked on his J, but most of his J's are uncontested since the Centers are reluctant to leave the paint and put a hand up.

Now if he went to a Phoenix or Golden State where he could play the exact same way, he'd be a legit option. But on a team where he's expected to be a traditional 4 his numbers would reduce drastically.

Also he plays classic matador D.

He is the best player on a bad team. With good wing players as the number one option he will dissapear offensivly.

Hustla23
04-08-2010, 03:51 PM
He possesses an elite combination of scoring, rebounding, and passing.

His offensive efficiency is superb.

Like everybody knows, his defense has been severely lackluster and that is what mainly brings down his value.

I value him at 8-10 million dollars.

If you put him next to a defensive big that clogs the paint and gets offensive rebounds, then he will flourish greatly.

Brooklyn Mets
04-08-2010, 04:06 PM
He plays no D and his agent thinks he is a superstar type talent that deserves double digit millions annually.

x2

SaimoNETS
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow, Knicks fans don't seem to like him very much. I think he's pretty solid, and if we get him in the FA, we would have a pretty beast frontcourt with Lopez & Lee.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2010, 04:18 PM
x2
david lee is the shining star on the knicks. donnie is gonna sign him again, and quite frankly i think he is on the same level as bosh or amare (yet he comes without the pre-madonna attitude that you see from bosh or amare). put david lee on the same team as a joe johnson, or a lebron and watch the knicks move swiftly up the rankings in a mediocre eastern conference. if the knicks wanted to get rid of him they would have (channing fry, nate robinson, trevor ariza) the truth is, david lee is a player that does all the intangibles. he's the type of player that top tier teems like the celtics, lakers, magic, cavs would love to have on their squad because he would make their team truly DOMINANT instead of successful on a mediocre level. its like pau gasol on the grizzleys, an amazing player with not that much talent around him. put him with talent and he wins championships.

Draco
04-08-2010, 04:29 PM
david lee is the shining star on the knicks. donnie is gonna sign him again, and quite frankly i think he is on the same level as bosh or amare (yet he comes without the pre-madonna attitude that you see from bosh or amare)...

But he can't or doesn't create for himself as well as Bosh or Amare, doesn't draw as many fouls and has never been part of a winning team.. on top of being a poor defender and undersized. He's a very productive role player on a very bad team..

soonabooma
04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Lee plays in Mike D'Antonis system, that's all it comes down to on defense. You can't tell me he's a lazy player, becuz he works his butt off every night. He hasn't gotten the proper coaching that players need on the defensive end, that's all. Put him on San Antonio, Boston, Cleveland, Charlotte, OKC, etc....and I bet he becomes a better defender.

As far as the rest goes, my theory is.....any guy who can go out and hold his own on most nights while giving up size is a heck of a player. Lee is consistently going for 20/12, that's not easy for a guy who's about 6'9/250 at best. He pretty much carries that team and we know they're not a good team, but you can't say Lee doesn't do his part. He needs to be on a better team where he won't have the burden of carrying the entire weight of the team on his back.

If we could get him in OKC for 10 million a year, I'd be fine with that. I'll take a starting 5 of Durant/Green/Westbrook/Sefolosha/Lee any day. But then again, I'd be fine with Serge Ibaka starting as well. Either way, if Lee becomes available, somebody better jump on it quick, becuz he's a good player who just needs a change of scene. He needs to be in a better system, and there's nothing wrong with that becuz even some of the best players in the league are in the same boat. Put Lee on a better team that plays defense and emphasizes good team ball, and he'll do just fine.

madiaz3
04-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Exactly, pairing him with a defensive center would be perfect. Lee and Camby even at Camby's age would be perfect.

jackdawson
04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Ahh..David Lee, my Gator.

I wish he was on a different team and put up the same numbers; He would be rated as high as Bosh/Amare now. Playing for D'Antonie hurts his apparent reputation a lot. You can't really judge his value untill he plays under a defensive minded coach. Heck, ex-Heat center Earl Barron who spent most of his three year heat career in street clothes had a 17/18 game and is averaging 14 ppg and 11 rpg over 3 games for the knicks now!

Tony_Starks
04-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Lee could be a solid contributor on a solid team... sort of like Al Horford... but he's not the type of Big that you can just throw him the ball and he's going to get his money. IMO his best bet is to stay where he's at/ where's he comfortable.

Hopefully his agent won't go all Bob Sugar on him and screw up a nice deal for him.

KnicksorBust
04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
He possesses an elite combination of scoring, rebounding, and passing.

His offensive efficiency is superb.

Like everybody knows, his defense has been severely lackluster and that is what mainly brings down his value.

I value him at 8-10 million dollars.

If you put him next to a defensive big that clogs the paint and gets offensive rebounds, then he will flourish greatly.

This.