PDA

View Full Version : Do Cavs win HCA in the West?

G-Funk
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
The Western Conference is just out of this world. Never has there been such a battle between 8 teams, These teams are just going to war right now. Or are the Cavs really that good? Would they be battling for 1st against the Lakers or for the 2nd seed?

Example: Suns Schedule since yesterday

Spurs(48-30)
Thunder(48-30)
Rockets(40-38)
Nuggets(51-27)
Jazz(51-28)

For the Cavs that would be like going against:

Bobcats(42-36)
Raptors(38-40)
Bulls(37-40)
Celtics(49-29)
Bucks(44-34)

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
They still would be fighting for the 1st seed and HCA but it'd be helluva tougher to get it and not the cake job they have in the East.

I'd still have them narrowly getting the 1st seed.

G-Funk
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
^ I wanna agree but it's a long season out West! I can definitely see them losing 5 or 6 extra games in the West.

Raoul Duke
04-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Uhmmm... aren't the Cavs 23 and 7 against the west teams? So they've won 79% of their games against east teams and 76% of their games against west teams. They've also beaten the Lakers twice, Utah once, Dallas once, San Antonio once (iirc...). Hell, the only team out west that they seem to have real trouble with is Denver.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the Cavs would dominate out west, too.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
it would depend on health. Look at the Lakers. They had such an easy schedule to begin with, there was talk of 70 wins. And then the reality of the western road trips set in, and they are right where they should be. The Cavs would struggle to win 60 in the west, but would fight for HCA for sure

Chronz
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Its a myth that strength of conferences really alters a teams destiny all that much. Cavs could easily win more games with the switch. Its just a matter of which conference has more for sure wins. As in bottom feeders.

G-Funk
04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Uhmmm... aren't the Cavs 23 and 7 against the west teams? So they've won 79% of their games against east teams and 76% of their games against west teams. They've also beaten the Lakers twice, Utah once, Dallas once, San Antonio once (iirc...). Hell, the only team out west that they seem to have real trouble with is Denver.

Your'e missing common sense, Cavs play the Top 8 teams in the West 16 out of 82 games. A team like the Nuggets will play the Top 8 teams in the West 32 times. That's a tougher schedule to deal with.

MagicDojo
04-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Its a myth that strength of conferences really alters a teams destiny all that much. Cavs could easily win more games with the switch. Its just a matter of which conference has more for sure wins. As in bottom feeders.

That is exactly right. :D

Chronz
04-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Your'e missing common sense, Cavs play the Top 8 teams in the West 16 out of 82 games. A team like the Nuggets will play the Top 8 teams in the West 32 times. That's a tougher schedule to deal with.
Isnt is suppose to be a tougher schedule regardless? Yet they come away with a more impressive record. Ill say its more likely they lose a 1 or 2 games, but not a certainty and last year when the East had more parity the majority of Western teams struggled against the East, because the amount of bottom dwellers in the West outside the playoff teams was massive. This year with the West getting all the best draft picks I dont think its the same issue.

The last 2 years the Cavs have fared better against the West than the East.

xBLAMEITON24x
04-08-2010, 05:32 PM

I think the cavs might still have HCAplaying out west. but no way will they dominate the west meeting the Lakers, Mavs, Spurs, Nuggets etc four time a year would hurt any eastern conferences team record.

RaiderLakersA's
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
If the Cavs were in the West -- if just about any team in the East played in the West -- they wouldn't have HCA.

Chronz
04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
If the Cavs were in the West -- if just about any team in the East played in the West -- they wouldn't have HCA.
LOL sure guy

Lakersfanla24
04-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Isnt is suppose to be a tougher schedule regardless? Yet they come away with a more impressive record. Ill say its more likely they lose a 1 or 2 games, but not a certainty and last year when the East had more parity the majority of Western teams struggled against the East, because the amount of bottom dwellers in the West outside the playoff teams was massive. This year with the West getting all the best draft picks I dont think its the same issue.

The last 2 years the Cavs have fared better against the West than the East.

Ill agree with the bottom feeders arguement to a point but you also have to take into consideration the time change. east teams coming out west gain 3 hours of time while west teams headed east lose 3 hours. Thats a big difference and can account to some added wins when east teams head west where as a west team headed east, losing those additonal hours of rest, can account for a couple more losses on the west teams behalf. Would the cavs compete for HCA out west? sure. would they have the same amount of wins? absolutley not.

SteveNash
04-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Well the swept the Lakers, the supposed best team in the West. So say they move over to the West and get to play the Lakers four times. That basically means they'll get two more wins in the West than they would in the East.

xBLAMEITON24x
04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Well the swept the Lakers, the supposed best team in the West. So say they move over to the West and get to play the Lakers four times. That basically means they'll get two more wins in the West than they would in the East.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Keep telling youself that.

G-Funk
04-08-2010, 06:24 PM

What exactly makes you think that the Lakers wont win the other 2?

SteveNash
04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
What exactly makes you think that the Lakers wont win the other 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipfzvlgMcNE

Lakersfanla24
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM

ladies and gentleman we have a dumbest post of the year candidate :clap:
:laugh::laugh:

Young2Kinsler
04-08-2010, 06:32 PM
With the MUCH rougher schedule( it's not even close in the 2 conferences) the Cavs would still be a top tier team, but they could easily lose 4-8 more games per year out West.

There is no logic that anyone can use on me to convince me the East is tougher than the West. Yes they may still be individually better than the West teams, but during a schedule with travel, injuries ect... the road is much tougher in the WC.

SteveNash
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
ladies and gentleman we have a dumbest post of the year candidate :clap:
:laugh::laugh:

You mad?

Raps18-19 Champ
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I say they still get 1st.

G-Funk
04-08-2010, 06:36 PM

So since Lakers beat the Suns 3-1 means that if we play another 4 against Suns. Lakers will be 06-02 against the Suns?

And Since Bobcats whoop ur *** twice means that they can whoop it 2 more times if they played in the West??? That deserves a BIG :facepalm:

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 06:46 PM
The bottom feeder point is a pretty good one.

There are 4 assured bottom feeders in the West with the Wolves, Warriors, Kings and Clippers. Best case scenario is they land in the Pacific division with 3 bottom feeders for a whopping 12 games assured against bottom feeders. If they land in the Northwest though...

In the East and the Central division... they have 4 games with 2 bottom feeders each in the Pacers and Pistons for 8 games.

Taking into account the overall strength of each conference and the number of bottom feeders available, I'm going out on a limb and saying that they end with a slightly worse record in the West but still get the 1st seed and HCA.

Lakersfanla24
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
You mad?

why would i be mad at a post with absolutley no logic behind it whatsoever??

D Blue987
04-08-2010, 06:59 PM
ya for that person who threw out the win % of 79 percent, give me a break. That stat doesnt mean squat if you are playing an entirely different schedule period. You play the west teams at least 3 more times each which by the toughness of the conference would dictate that the Cavs would not be able to maintain that winning percentage by a long shot. They would for sure not even be close to the record they have now and would be contending with the Lakers for the number 1 seed out west but with a less inflated record than what they have now.

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Remember that if the Cavs are in the West, they'll be inflicting some damage to other team's records as well. For instance, they might add an extra loss to the Lakers, the Mavs, Nuggets, etc.

I definitely see the Cavs getting 1st seed and HCA throughout but it would be way tougher to do so in the West.

G-Funk
04-09-2010, 10:15 AM
The bottom feeder point is a pretty good one.

There are 4 assured bottom feeders in the West with the Wolves, Warriors, Kings and Clippers. Best case scenario is they land in the Pacific division with 3 bottom feeders for a whopping 12 games assured against bottom feeders. If they land in the Northwest though...

In the East and the Central division... they have 4 games with 2 bottom feeders each in the Pacers and Pistons for 8 games.

Taking into account the overall strength of each conference and the number of bottom feeders available, I'm going out on a limb and saying that they end with a slightly worse record in the West but still get the 1st seed and HCA.

Not really, I bet the West bottom feeders would rather play in the East then having to face 8 50 win teams.

JordansBulls
04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Cavs are 23-7 against the West this year.
Lakers are 22-8 against the East this year.

Cavs were 26-4 against the West last year.
Lakers were 21-9 against the East last year.

Cleveland has done better than LA against the West than LA has done against the East, so I don't see how it would be any different if the Cavs were out west.

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Everybody plays everybody twice, so 30/82 games the Lakers played against eastern conference teams, and got to play the Suns (good team), Clippers Kings and Warriors in their division. Those teams have combined for 127 wins so far this season.

The Cavs play 30/82 games against the west, and played the Bucks Bulls Pacers and Pistons in their division. 137 wins combined. So the Cavs have played in a tougher division than the Lakers and played 3/8ths of their games against the west.

The teams that have it harder are the teams that are in the tough divisions, not so much the tough conferences, so Dever, Utah, Portland and OKC are beating each other up in the Northwest, and in the Southwest its even worse as the Spurs, Mavs, Griz, Hornets and Rockets are beating each other up (the worst team in that division is the Hornets and they have 35 wins, 20 more than the worst team in the NWD, and 11 more than the worst team in the Pacific).

I think a tough division creates more issues in terms of a potential record than a tough conference does.

Avenged
04-09-2010, 11:30 AM
If the Cavs are the best team in the NBA like everyone claims they are, then there's no reason for them not to get HCA in the west. The best team will always win regardless of conference.

G-Funk
04-09-2010, 12:08 PM
cavs are 23-7 against the west this year.
Lakers are 22-8 against the east this year.

Cavs were 26-4 against the west last year.
Lakers were 21-9 against the east last year.

Cleveland has done better than la against the west than la has done against the east, so i don't see how it would be any different if the cavs were out west.

because the west have tougher games more often. That **** can wear a team out. Cavs are not that worn out when they take small trips to the west, teams in the west are wearn out.

Chronz
04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Not really, I bet the West bottom feeders would rather play in the East then having to face 8 50 win teams.

If they did, the Eastern teams record would improve, whereas if we put some of the Eastern slightly better bottom feeders the Western teams record would decrease. Theres more to the balance than 8 50 win teams.

Chronz
04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
because the west have tougher games more often. That **** can wear a team out. Cavs are not that worn out when they take small trips to the west, teams in the west are wearn out.

Then why dont they take out the teams that should be easy? It wears you out? Thats your reasoning?