PDA

View Full Version : Changes I'd like to see in the NBA

majmarcus
04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Even though I know it won't happen. But I was thinking back to when Phil Jackson gave his HOF induction speech. He said something about the league should raise the basket. At the time I kinda laughed it off. But the more I think about it, it'll be kinda cool if Stern did make some physical changes to the court i.e. raise the basket another foot or so. I say that because take dunking for ex... When I was growing up, seeing if someone could touch the rim was a big thing. If you're dunking, you're a hero,lol. But not so much now...Now, dunking on someone is more intriguing than just dunking. You look at how humanity has evolved physically over time and for me personally, it seems dunking happens with little or no effort at all. I really think that making this change along with expanding the court itself, would add a new level of excitement & renewed energy to the NBA.

Another ex: Spud Webb was like 5'6-5'7? Dude could get up at the time...it was huge deal. So the shorter u are, maybe it's a big step or something. Now Lebron is what...6'8 6'9?!?!? "Look how high he got over the rim!" LoL...dude is 6'8 & freakishly athletic & the hoop is only 10ft. He damm well better get an elbow or some ish over the rim!!!! When you look at 10 players on the floor now. It just seems something isn't quite fitting. Almost as if the floor is too crowded or something...Either the players are too big for the court or the court is too small for the players, I dunno. But since people are gonna continue to grow....I say make the changes to the court and start with said suggestions!!!!!!

Please, I really wanna see what everyone thinks!!!!

ldc62
04-08-2010, 09:52 AM
When everyone is a 7 footer... then maybe

JDizzle
04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
wont happen.. but I do get what your saying

mikantsass
04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Why not raise the hoop to 15 feet and put a trampoline on the low blocks...

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
This would be like asking FIFA to increase the size of the football (soccer) field just because players are now able to run and cover more of the field due to advancement in fitness information and technology (NOT due to human evolution... :facepalm:).

No. Way.

BOSTON617
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
i agree basketball is dif then soccer bro ppl are taller now and more athetic a soccer field is huge a football field is huge.... a basketball court is big but its mostly about your size the bigger your are the better chances you have to be better.... i agree i think if everyone in the league can dunk make it higher.... lol like look back in the 80s dunking wasnt around like that.... i feel it would be more exciting to watch basketball be more defensive again then offensive

Bluffmasta
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM

that would make for sum interesting basketball lol

Raoul Duke
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
If they adopt the "topless cheerleaders" idea that I keep emailing them about, then I'll be fine with any changes they make to the height of the basket. Because that way I can just focus on boobies, and ignore the fact that my beloved sport had been raped.

ragee
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM

They have that league! I forgot what it's called! LOL

TopsyTurvy
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
The three point line will be moved or removed before the basket is altered in any way.

Swashcuff
04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
If they adopt the "topless cheerleaders" idea that I keep emailing them about, then I'll be fine with any changes they make to the height of the basket. Because that way I can just focus on boobies, and ignore the fact that my beloved sport had been raped.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

GSW Hoops
04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
They have that league! I forgot what it's called! LOL

Slamball.

Swashcuff
04-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Make halfcourt a 4-point shot. It would be hard to do it and change backourrt violations but it would be interesting.

alot of ppl are against it but i have to admit it would be interesting though. They could probly try it in the D League and see how it goes.

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
i agree basketball is dif then soccer bro ppl are taller now and more athetic a soccer field is huge a football field is huge.... a basketball court is big but its mostly about your size the bigger your are the better chances you have to be better.... i agree i think if everyone in the league can dunk make it higher.... lol like look back in the 80s dunking wasnt around like that.... i feel it would be more exciting to watch basketball be more defensive again then offensive

How is it that raising the basket would make the game more defensive? There would be less dunks but those would be transformed into layups.

I don't agree that the bigger you are, the better chances of you becoming better. Who's the biggest guy in the NBA now? If it's Yao Ming, he's good but not the best. People widely consider LBJ or Kobe to be the best players in the league right now. MJ wasn't the biggest guy around and people widely consider him to be the GOAT. Size and physicality matter yes, but more important is the skill level of the player. It doesn't matter if you're a behemoth like Shawn Bradley if you don't have the skillset to compliment your physical advantage.

Finally, I beg to differ: I prefer offense over defense by miles. Give me the beautiful flowing game of offense over the cranky boring crap that defense gives you.

majmarcus
04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
This would be like asking FIFA to increase the size of the football (soccer) field just because players are now able to run and cover more of the field due to advancement in fitness information and technology (NOT due to human evolution... :facepalm:).

No. Way.

How in the world is that even comparable to what I said? I clearly said I knew these changes wasn't gonna happen! But lookin at your sig tells me you was determined to do everything in ur power to find a reason to say something about soccer! What's wrong buddy, not enough soccer threads for ya? Hmmm, what's more interesting: David Beckham signing a lucrative deal to score in the neighborhood of (.4 assist a game) or his razor thin almost sickly lookin wife Posh Spice getting just as much if not more attention than he does for her reality show that got canceled in between 1st & 2nd segments? To quote the great HoopsDrive ":facepalm:"

iFYouSeekAmy
04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Full-court shots would be considered an automatic game-winner.

Sadds The Gr8
04-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Lol SLAMBALL!!!!!

Anyone else remember that $shitt?? That game was nastyyyyyy

Wisdom Listens
04-08-2010, 02:22 PM

I think you are referring to Slamball.

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 03:22 PM
How in the world is that even comparable to what I said? I clearly said I knew these changes wasn't gonna happen! But lookin at your sig tells me you was determined to do everything in ur power to find a reason to say something about soccer! What's wrong buddy, not enough soccer threads for ya? Hmmm, what's more interesting: David Beckham signing a lucrative deal to score in the neighborhood of (.4 assist a game) or his razor thin almost sickly lookin wife Posh Spice getting just as much if not more attention than he does for her reality show that got canceled in between 1st & 2nd segments? To quote the great HoopsDrive ":facepalm:"

Your proposal: increase the height of the basket because nowadays players are able to dunk much more frequently than in the 80s. PS: You also somehow involved an improvement in defense to the increase in the height of basket which is complete bull****.

My comparison: increase the size of the field of football (soccer) because today, football players can cover the whole field with much more ease than before. PS: as players will need more time to run from one side of the field to the other, less goals will be scored and the game will become more defensive... not.

You propose to increase the height of the basket because players are able to pull off feats (dunks) that were much less commonplace or flashy before. I propose to increase the size of the field because players are now able to cover the field with much more ease at full throttle and without getting tired as fast as before.

Both proposals are foolish because their changes are based on a past standard. I'll ask again: how the **** does increasing the height of the basket improve the defense seen in an NBA game? Wtf?

Btw, the facepalm I gave was not for the proposal (almost warrants it however) but for the statement that humans evolved in the spam of 25 years. Wtf? The advancements in technology that control and improve the physical capability and limits of athletes and the new breed of athletes that place a lot of emphasis on physical capability (ie: sticking to a diet, hitting the weight rooms, etc) has led to the increase of dunking in the NBA as well as its many forms (ie: slam dunk, etc).

Also, stick to the issue buddy. Did I even mention David ****ing Beckham, a guy that I find the most overrated football player ever, once in my OP? Yeah, you deserve another big ol' fat :facepalm:

MagicDojo
04-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I would like to see a coach able to challenge a ref call like in the NFL.

BoognishMN
04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Calling traveling violations would be a great place to start.

majmarcus
04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Your proposal: increase the height of the basket because nowadays players are able to dunk much more frequently than in the 80s. PS: You also somehow involved an improvement in defense to the increase in the height of basket which is complete bull****.

My comparison: increase the size of the field of football (soccer) because today, football players can cover the whole field with much more ease than before. PS: as players will need more time to run from one side of the field to the other, less goals will be scored and the game will become more defensive... not.

You propose to increase the height of the basket because players are able to pull off feats (dunks) that were much less commonplace or flashy before. I propose to increase the size of the field because players are now able to cover the field with much more ease at full throttle and without getting tired as fast as before.

Both proposals are foolish because their changes are based on a past standard. I'll ask again: how the **** does increasing the height of the basket improve the defense seen in an NBA game? Wtf?

Btw, the facepalm I gave was not for the proposal (almost warrants it however) but for the statement that humans evolved in the spam of 25 years. Wtf? The advancements in technology that control and improve the physical capability and limits of athletes and the new breed of athletes that place a lot of emphasis on physical capability (ie: sticking to a diet, hitting the weight rooms, etc) has led to the increase of dunking in the NBA as well as its many forms (ie: slam dunk, etc).

Also, stick to the issue buddy. Did I even mention David ****ing Beckham, a guy that I find the most overrated football player ever, once in my OP? Yeah, you deserve another big ol' fat :facepalm:

(SMH) Take it easy Sally....Ur probably just late and it's NOT that serious ;)

BlinkManJan02
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I agree that it does seem crowded on the court. And my dad has always said they need to raise the basket a few feet haha.

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
(SMH) Take it easy Sally....Ur probably just late and it's NOT that serious ;)

Pitiful.

Avenged
04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
How about eliminating the salary cap. :D

asandhu23
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Crabdribble is a travel

majmarcus
04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
How about eliminating the salary cap. :D
Dude, if doing away with the salary cap would happen. I honestly think the Lakers would be most like The Yankees. They'll be the "Evil Empire" of the NBA/West Coast!!!

Crabdribble is a travel
It has been, still is, and always will be

Pitiful.
LoL...Fams, I'm just effen wit'cha aight! Let's call a truce before the mods start cleaning house,cool? :cheers:

KnicksorBust
04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
For the first two minutes of every quarter, shot values are doubled.

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
LoL...Fams, I'm just effen wit'cha aight! Let's call a truce before the mods start cleaning house,cool? :cheers:

Agreed, there are better things to waste our energy on like Rose, LBJ and this summer's free agency :rolleyes::D

ThuglifeJ
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
rather have them lower the rim to 9 feet. itd be crazy.

Toenail Clipper
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
There should also be side baskets (one to the right and one to the left) to make more ways to score :cool:

majmarcus
04-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Agreed, there are better things to waste our energy on like Rose, LBJ and this summer's free agency :rolleyes::D

Cool. But lemme ask...Would you make ANY changes to da game? U gotta not like sumin about it?!?!!?

NPH
04-08-2010, 07:30 PM
they have that league! I forgot what it's called! Lol

slamball

NY-SportsFan
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Humans are not "evolving" into a bigger species. Athletes are bigger(muscle wise) and more athletic because of better training and diets. People are not evolving into a taller species over 25 years. lol

I wouldnt mind if they raised the rim to 11 feet. it would make for a better brand of basketball where players would have to rely a lot more on skill and teamwork instead of pure athleticism. Only the freak athletes and 7 footers would be able to do that.

Of course it would never happen because dunking is "exciting" and gets tv ratings.

NY-SportsFan
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh and I would make the towel boys not be able to clean up sweat off the floor. The extra wet spots would add another aspect of drama and difficulty with people having to avoid them not to fall down. Maybe we could add a puddle right under the hoop so people would have to jump over when they went for a layup or rebound...

montazingmvp
04-08-2010, 09:03 PM

lol your an idiot...there are 10 soccer forums online to every 1 basketball one. you do realize that soccer is vastly more popular than basketball?

and besides that, instead of making a rational argument you start a rant about your dislike for a sport....

not the brightest eh?

majmarcus
04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
lol your an idiot...there are 10 soccer forums online to every 1 basketball one. you do realize that soccer is vastly more popular than basketball?

and besides that, instead of making a rational argument you start a rant about your dislike for a sport....

not the brightest eh?
Shouldn't you be somewhere anxiously awaiting ur fav soccer team to break a 1-1 overtime tie? Which btw seems to happen every other game! Soccer has got to be the only sport where every team is tied for scoring avgs of .7 ppg. What the h3ll is that? Funny thing is....I actually like soccer,LoL

Homie, lemme say that football is my #1 fav sport! I don't give a ish what sport is more popular than the other or who has more threads. When PSD starts holding some kind of Online Grammys for The Most Threads Created, gimme a call. But as far as your beloved soccer goes....God bless. But what I don't get is, why do dumb damm mofos like yourself gotta come in gettin personal coupled with MEANINGLESS RESEARCH/STATS. To each it's own! So why are you gettin so defensive about my views on soccer? U and all the other mind numbingly stupid overly sensitive readers act as though YOU invented the sport,LoL. My opinion is stated and will ALWAYS be stated when I feel it's appropriate. The thread I created was not baiting, trolling, or any other violation. It was a mere thought that I found interesting! Check my stats Gary Poppings...I lead by example. I don't initiate juvenile riffs! I may fall into them, but I don't start them. I've read PLENTY of threads and posts that were just as dumb as this crap I'm replying to. But I'd rather NOT say anything as opposed to takin a jab at anyone. If you don't like my thread or post...just move along quietly or respectfully disagree. It's that simple. I'm certain even an IDIOTIC BOX like yourself can agree to that right?!?!?!

Avenged
04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Dude, if doing away with the salary cap would happen. I honestly think the Lakers would be most like The Yankees. They'll be the "Evil Empire" of the NBA/West Coast!!!

Exactly.:nod:

asandhu23
04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Exactly.:nod:

LOL after Larry Ellison buys the Warriors... hehehehehehehe :D

jrodmesche
04-08-2010, 11:00 PM
no cuase then i couldent dunk anymore haha

blah-blah
04-08-2010, 11:09 PM
it wont be as exciting and a lot of players wont like it

wileyisTOFU
04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
less rigorous drug testing

_KB24_
04-08-2010, 11:56 PM
More physical contact. I'm tired of NBA players acting like thugs off the court and playing like ******* on the court. I say allow fighting like in Hockey, so we can expose how soft everyone really is in the NBA. (Not serious about bringing fighting in)

majmarcus
04-09-2010, 12:02 AM
More physical contact. I'm tired of NBA players acting like thugs off the court and playing like ******* on the court. I say allow fighting like in Hockey, so we can expose how soft everyone really is in the NBA. (Not serious about bringing fighting in)

Fams, I feel u on this one. Nba is sorely missing that 1980's style gameplay!

80's NBA...Where The REAL NBA happened....:clap:

Mudvayne91
04-09-2010, 12:11 AM
A new commissioner that doesn't have bias refereeing.

ShockerArt
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Fams, I feel u on this one. Nba is sorely missing that 1980's style gameplay!

80's NBA...Where The REAL NBA happened....:clap:

You'll never get back to the 80's attitudes, not with these guys all playing together in AAU ball. There were more true rivalries amongst players back then. Now that they all grow up playing together in AAU and camps, the players don't have the same competitive fire or dislike/hatred towards other each other.

ShockerArt
04-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Most of the changes that I want to see in basketball involve the college game. I wish the NCAA would shorten the shot clock, get rid of the possession arrow, and change the technical foul penalty from 2 FTs to 1 FT (like the NBA).

As for the NBA, I would like to see the free agency/cap rules tweaked so that expiring contracts weren't such big trade values.

Meth
04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Hotter chearleaders.

jrodmesche
04-11-2010, 04:01 PM
^ you must be on meth cuase those cheerleaders are fine as ****

prodigy
04-11-2010, 04:08 PM
We should raise the hoops to the roof. Whoever makes the first basket wins. no?

The changes I would make.

1. Tell refs to fellow the rule book or your fired.

2. Give each HC 2 flags. They can use these flags at any point on ANY CALL. Including fouls.