PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com's If last year's draft was redone today....

asandhu23
04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
They say hindsight is 20/20.

Knowing what we know now, for instance, do you think the Grizzlies would still take Hasheem Thabeet at No. 2? And would the Clippers still take Blake Griffin with the top pick, knowing he would hurt his knee and miss the entire 2009-10 season?

Those were the questions that were posed this week as I joined my NBA.com colleagues Sekou Smith and Vince Thomas on their Hang Time Podcast. (Which, by the way, is great and should be a regular download. You can find it on iTunes.) We took turns playing the role of GM, taking into account everything that's happened since the draft, and making our picks with the advantage of hindsight.

This is how the lottery played out:
10_Columnist_Banner_Rookie.jpg

1. Clippers (Packham): Tyreke Evans
2. Grizzlies (Smith): Stephen Curry
3. Thunder (Thomas): Blake Griffin
4. Kings (Packham): Brandon Jennings
5. Wolves (Smith): Darren Collison
6. Wolves (Smith): Omri Casspi
7. Warriors (Thomas): DeJuan Blair
8. Knicks (Packham): Ricky Rubio
9. Raptors (Smith): Taj Gibson
10. Bucks (Thomas): Jonny Flynn
11. Nets (Packham): James Harden
12. Bobcats (Smith): Jonas Jerebko
13. Pacers (Thomas): Ty Lawson
14. Suns (Packham): Terrence Williams

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/04/06/rookie.rankings/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

What do you think?

asandhu23
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Whoa... this thread was actually posted. :speechless:

GSW Hoops
04-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Kings would take Collison over Jennings.

IRUAM #21
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I think the Raps take Harden.

yanks19791024
04-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Knicks (Packham): Ricky Rubio- I guess I could dream

mikeman0000
04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I guess Jrue still gets no love. :(

:sigh:

jetsfan28
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
LOL at Thabeet, a guy known to be a project when he went #2, not going in the lotto. That's ****ing stupid. And Blair 7th when the long term health concerns are no different than they were when the draft happened? Again, ****ing stupid.

PC
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Casspi and Blair are up way too high

Hawkeye15
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I think nba.com sucks.

king4day
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Griz still woulda taken Griffin.
Hell, the Clippers still take Griffin.

JDink24
04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I cant imagine Jrue Holiday not being a loto pick.

R_O_W_E
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
What a stupid redone draft, why would the Grizzlies take Stephen Curry over Blake Griffin?

Why is Blake Griffin not the #1 pick?

They're completely forgetting why the Draft is done, its to fill teams' needs. Tyreke Evans wouldn't be as effective with the Clippers as he currently is with a depleted Kings squad, and the same for Curry in Memphis compared to what he has with the Warriors.

Thabeet not a lottery pick? Thabeet would still be a Top 5 Pick because he is a project big man who may take a few years to develop into a goalie around the basket swatting anything that comes close.

topdog
04-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Pretty sure Rubio would still be up there, Griffin still is #1 regardless of injury, Thabeet doesn't drop out of the top 10, Casspi and Blair still should not be lottos... ect, ect.

Pretty dumb especially after one season.

Swashcuff
04-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I cant imagine Jrue Holiday not being a loto pick.

us sixer fans rate our rooks way to high every year. I still am not sold on Jrue as ever being a star in this league.

PBG
04-08-2010, 01:37 PM
blair and jerebko going from late second round picks to lottery picks! im glad everyone passed on jerebko because hes been our only bright spot this season.

DLeeicious
04-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Taj was such a steal in that draft.

avrpatsfan
04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
The thunder with Evans or Griffin would be scary.

JDink24
04-08-2010, 01:43 PM
us sixer fans rate our rooks way to high every year. I still am not sold on Jrue as ever being a star in this league.

Are you sold on Darren Collison, Omri Casspi, DeJuan Blair, Taj Gibson, Jonny Flynn, James Harden, Jonas Jerebko, Ty Lawson, Terrence Williams being stars?

Im not saying Jrue should have gone top 5 or anything but I'd rather have him than alot of those guys on the list.

Swashcuff
04-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Hey of those guys you have listed i have only heard of one of them being spoken of by any fan of any team the way the sixers fans talk about Jrue. People say blow this team up and build around him and im like uhhhhhhh.... Of all those PGs you listed he has shown the least.

And i watched the sixers all the time. And please don't blame either A.I. for that. I rout for the guy i really hopes he turns into a star but IMO we rate him too highly.

clehmun
04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
so what's the difference between this "redraft" and the 2010 rankings for rookie of the year? (other than the fact that Blake is still top 3).

this is only one year, and i still think guys like thabeet, harden, derozan, etc, will have more potential than casspi, blair, jerebko, etc.

i'd still have griffin the number 1, tyreke 2nd...

JDink24
04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey of those guys you have listed i have only heard of one of them being spoken of by any fan of any team the way the sixers fans talk about Jrue. People say blow this team up and build around him and im like uhhhhhhh.... Of all those PGs you listed he has shown the least.

And i watched the sixers all the time. And please don't blame either A.I. for that. I rout for the guy i really hopes he turns into a star but IMO we rate him too highly.

I hear ya.

While I agree that we sometimes overrate our players (Thad, Speights) I donít think we are overrating Jrue. He is the youngest player in the league, playing the toughest position on the court and having success with it. I wouldnít go as far as saying build the team around him but I do think given his build, age and performance thus far that itís not farfetched to think that he can be a special player in this league one day.

Swashcuff
04-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I hear ya.

While I agree that we sometimes overrate our players (Thad, Speights) I donít think we are overrating Jrue. He is the youngest player in the league, playing the toughest position on the court and having success with it. I wouldnít go as far as saying build the team around him but I do think given his build, age and performance thus far that itís not farfetched to think that he can be a special player in this league one day.

True!

I must apologise I took you for one of those who said he's the real franchise player.

Sadds The Gr8
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
ooo no Derozan? ouch.

Sadds The Gr8
04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
True!

I must apologise I took you for one of those who said he's the real franchise player.

I think Philly has a pretty good future even if Iggy leaves. Jrue has shown signs of being a good PG...it took him awhile but he's so young. Thaddeus Young is disgusting...I think he will be a 20 ppg and 6-8 rbg player. And I think Speights can be productive as well...Sammy D and Brand are just in the way right now. U guys need to get rid of those 2. ESPECIALLY BRAND!

ChiSox219
04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Are you sold on Darren Collison, Omri Casspi, DeJuan Blair, Taj Gibson, Jonny Flynn, James Harden, Jonas Jerebko, Ty Lawson, Terrence Williams being stars?

Im not saying Jrue should have gone top 5 or anything but I'd rather have him than alot of those guys on the list.

I don't have an issue with any of those guys you listed being picked over Jrue. Lawson, Collison, and Harden are all guys I'd much rather have if I needed a ball handler.

Blair and Gibson aren't going to be much better than they already are, so maybe I take Jrue based on potential or need.