PDA

View Full Version : Is Deron Williams Underated?

Mishmin
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Since the all-star break, the Jazz are #1 in just about everything, they have the second seed in a ridiculous western conference, Williams averages about 19 points, 10.5 assists. The guy's been in the shadow of Chris Paul his whole career and just made his FIRST all-star game..? I wouldn't put him ahead of Durant, Kobe, Lebron, but it's not a stretch to include him in MVP talk. Just a rock every game. Is he the best point guard?

JNA17
04-06-2010, 11:40 PM
he's better then chris paul, there i said it.

IversonIsKrazy
04-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I always say this, he falls under the radar, but I see him as the best PG in the league today. Better than CP this season, best PG this season, and considering this was his only first all-star selection, hes vastly underrated.

NYK_kidd77
04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I think so he never really is talked about and is arguably the best pg in the game.

Kakaroach
04-06-2010, 11:53 PM
So under-rated its not even funny.

Chi City23
04-07-2010, 12:05 AM
I always say this, he falls under the radar, but I see him as the best PG in the league today. Better than CP this season, best PG this season, and considering this was his only first all-star selection, hes vastly underrated.

I agree.. I said it in another thread that he's my favorite PG. Best PG in the game right now!

Mishmin
04-07-2010, 12:07 AM
..posted this about 15 minutes before that crazy game winner. do it deron.

Baller1
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
He's the best PG in the NBA, and I've been saying it for the past 2 years.

You want highlights and flashy plays? Take Chris Paul.
You want the best, strongest PG in the NBA? Take Deron Williams.

Swashcuff
04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I don't mean to turn this into a comparison between him and paul but I'll just say that Paul (IMO) is the better all round PG/Player. Deron is the better leader though. I don't think he is underrated in the eyes of true basketball fans. By the wider media/ fans yes he is.

Chronz
04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
So overrated its not even funny, hes nowhere near CP3.

Lakers4ItAll
04-07-2010, 12:19 AM
I am starting to finally believe he is the best PG in the NBA now that Billups is on the decline. He can run the point as well as shoot the ball.

Raph12
04-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Underrated by many, overrated by some...

CP3 (healthy) is hands down the best PG in the league.

td0tsfinest
04-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Deron Williams has been the best point guard in the league this year.

We see so many posters talk about Rose, Rondo and even Jennings but Deron is better than all of them.

jackdawson
04-07-2010, 12:32 AM
He is known as the #2 pg in the league. How is he underrated then??? Please explain. He is playing on a better team, and he is playing out of his mind now, but that doesn't mean he is the best pg. Chris Paul is the hands down best pg in the league. CP3 is more complete, rounded, and pure pg.

Swashcuff
04-07-2010, 12:33 AM

We see so many posters talk about Rose, Rondo and even Jennings but Deron is better than all of them.

very true statement. And its not even debatable. Don't forget Curry.

kurivaimu
04-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Deron is a monster.
He's very underrated. Just to think that he made his first ALL-Star appearence this year..he should have been a lock a long time ago.

What amazes me is the CP3 best PG thing. In face to face matchups, Deron has basically killed, overpowered, owned, CP3 every time.

In my opionion, there is really no discussion.
Deron is better that CP3 and the best PG currently in the NBa.

JayW_1023
04-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Right now, no PG OR SG is playing at a higher level. Deron is playing better than just about everyone right now.

ragee
04-07-2010, 07:20 AM
He is slowly getting noticed... I definitely think he is the best pg right now...

alencp3
04-07-2010, 07:33 AM
You people forget how good CP3 can be

Ray_R
04-07-2010, 07:58 AM

I dont think most poster think that either Rose Rondo or Jennings are better that Deron Williams. When they bring them up it is based on young Talent.

Deron Williams is like someone said underrated by some and just slightly overrated by some. Me I believe he is Underated.

Spiderman 1nner
04-07-2010, 08:13 AM
of course he's underrated, but he plays in Utah, what do you expect? Only way he'll get more attention is if tha Jazz make it to tha Finals. He's definitely got my vote for best point guard in the game.

JasonJohnHorn
04-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I would say he is rated about where he should be. He is considered by many to be the best young point guard in the league, and, and most people either put him even with or just behind CP3, which seems fair to me, and some put him ahead of him, which I can understand because he has a size advantage over CP3, and though guys like Billups, Nash and Kidd all make huge impacts to their teams beyond what stats really show, he is generally rated above even these great point guards by many, and I usually see him ranked ahead of Rose.

So since he is often considered the among the top two or three in the league, I would say he is rated about where he should be since he is not clearly better than CP3, though an argument could be made. I think with CP3 having a rough year with injuries, and the Hornets underachieving the last couple of years, many of us forget how amazing CP3 really is, but there is no doubt D-Will is as good as just about anybody in the league and makes as big an impact to the Jazz as guys like Billups, Nash and Kidd make for their respective teams.

Chi City23
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I think true NBA fans don't underrate him, but the media sure does.

Iodine
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Deron will skull-**** you in front of your girl, then she will leave you for him. thats how ****ing sexy he is this year

^^^ I still agree though. Plus with all the ZOMG underated threads he gets, he may soon get the Disease of Ben Wallace/David West (get talked about being underated so much they end up being overated)

Paul has more talent and skill (there is a difference between those two things)

But Deron just has that it factor that makes him an insane leader

Shkelqim
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
The team in general is underated. He doesn't force anything which is a positive because a lot of players struggle (Al Harrington)(Andre Iguodala)(D-wade)(Manu)

Hawkeye15
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
In my book, he is right where he should be. The second best PG in the league, though I would take Billups ahead of him in the playoffs
and all star games don't measure **** to me. Those things are jokes

D-Will4Prez
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Deron is a monster.
He's very underrated. Just to think that he made his first ALL-Star appearence this year..he should have been a lock a long time ago.

What amazes me is the CP3 best PG thing. In face to face matchups, Deron has basically killed, overpowered, owned, CP3 every time.

X2

this guy said it perfectly :)

ragee
04-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Nah... I know how good CP3 is but I would still pick D-Will over him... His size and his crossover makes a deadly combination...

Chronz
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Nah... I know how good CP3 is but I would still pick D-Will over him... His size and his crossover makes a deadly combination...

Sounds like you dont know how valuable CP3 is, you see he doesnt have to rely on his crossover to create space, as a result is less turnover prone. So why are you listing an argument (ballhandling) that actually benefits CP3 case? Oh yeah because it looks SOOO SWEEEET right... His size? That will help him age but it doesnt help him at his peak, CP3 is easily the better player and its not even remotely close.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-08-2010, 12:08 PM
DWill has been tha best PG this year, since CP has been injured.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Deron is a monster.

You would have a great point if they were playin 1 on 1... but theres 8 other guys on tha court. sooo, therefore irrelevant.

t_money25
04-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I've always felt like he is the best PG in the game. No disrespect to Chris Paul but Deron gets my vote. Paul may put up slightly better assist numbers but Deron out plays him every time the Jazz and Hornets play eachother, which is a better sign of who is better. He's #1 IMO....

Sadds The Gr8
04-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Underrated by many, overrated by some...

CP3 (healthy) is hands down the best PG in the league.

These.

D-Will is good but healthy CP3 just runs his life. Like people already started calling CP3 one of the best PGs they ever seen...never heard those remarks for D-Will b4

pebloemer
04-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Underrated? Depends who is rating him???? I think most people appreciate Deron Williams for what he does on the court and consider him Top 10-15 player in the league and Top 2-3 PG in the league. Would the OP say that is underrating him?

I think overall that is about right. He has clearly had an excellent season though and I love watching the guy play. Better than CP3? Depends night to night.

sargon21
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
best PG in the league, it doesnt help paul that he doesnt stay healthy tho

wolf3742
04-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Nope I do not hink Deron is underated, he is rated rightly. He is the best PG this season but watch out for Paul next season.

CP3 would have been healthy this season if not for the freak accident where he hit a camera on his knee during a fast paced drive.

Tony_Starks
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
He was an allstar and won the gold with Team USA last year... I think he's getting his props!

DaBUU
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Not underrated at all, basketball fans that know the game know Deron is the best. I can only hope Rose one day leads the Bulls the way he does the Jazz.

Iceman778
04-08-2010, 03:06 PM
So under-rated its not even funny.

but still it looks Funny:)

MagicDojo
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Nope I do not hink Deron is underated, he is rated rightly. He is the best PG this season but watch out for Paul next season.

CP3 would have been healthy this season if not for the freak accident where he hit a camera on his knee during a fast paced drive.

I think he is constantly counted as one of the better guards.
Jameer Nelson is underated.

THE_FLASH_21
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM

lol... Dwill has owned Paul.. And Dwill is not scoring much because he doesn't need to.. Dwill is a top 10 player in all of the NBA

THE_FLASH_21
04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Dwill is the most underrated player in the league.. it use to be Durant!! But Dwill has been ignored since he came in the league

dtmagnet
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Well I consider him to be the best PG in the NBA, so I don't see how that could be underrating him.

Vinny642
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I dont think he is the best PG, or underrated. I dont see how if you guys are saying he is the best PG, he is underrated. People know who he is... people forget about CP because CP hasn't played much this year.
CP is more of a leader, CP is more of a person that I would want. Chris Paul plays so aggressively and always wants to help his team win, no matter how hurt he is.

I agree Deron is the best PG of this season, but no he is not even close to being better than Paul.

ALSO!!!
You people that say he destroys Paul in head to head matchups..... your wrong.
He did earlier in their careers but now when they play they are even.

RenegadeRiot36
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
how are people saying hands down cp3? i just dont understand it. most of the people havent ever even seen a jazz game, let alone deron's skills outside of just the highlights. ive said for the last two years that hes is the best pg in the game overall. plus, hes almost as flashy in his passes. he just gets no recognition for playing in Utah

Vinny642
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
how are people saying hands down cp3? i just dont understand it. most of the people havent ever even seen a jazz game, let alone deron's skills outside of just the highlights. ive said for the last two years that hes is the best pg in the game overall. plus, hes almost as flashy in his passes. he just gets no recognition for playing in Utah

I guess New Orleans gets a lot of recognition then?

Tony_Starks
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Ever notice how any Dwill convo turns into DWill vs CP3... any Kobe convo becomes Kobe vs Lebron... Rondo vs D Rose..etc etc.

Can any players just be good in their own right?

Vinny642
04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Ever notice how any Dwill convo turns into DWill vs CP3... any Kobe convo becomes Kobe vs Lebron... Rondo vs D Rose..etc etc.

If this thread stayed only Deron, then I wouldn't mind keeping it like that, but I will not have people put down my favorite player.

wolf3742
04-08-2010, 04:53 PM

The same with the Hornets. How many are even watching them play out of the entire league. One thing that really helped out CP3 is how he continually lift this team up even while playing with sub-par players. If CP3 did not even got that freak of an accident, they could very well be in the playoffs with the supporting cast of Peja, Posey, Mo Pete as his starters :speechless:. He could have been MVP 2 season ago.

Nope because it will just make all the threads in PSD a one pager :smoking:

Vinny642
04-08-2010, 04:55 PM
The same with the Hornets. How many are even watching them play out of the entire league. One thing that really helped out CP3 is how he continually lift this team up even while playing with sub-par players. If CP3 did not even got that freak of an accident, they could very well be in the playoffs with the supporting cast of Peja, Posey, Mo Pete as his starters :speechless:. He should've have been MVP 2 season ago.

Nope because it will just make all the threads in PSD a one pager :smoking:

Fixed

jmastert
04-08-2010, 04:59 PM
He does get alot of credit. But i do think he is deserving of more. He truly is a fantastic basketball player.

Silent
04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Every Nba Anaylist has said deron is #1

Chronz
04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
lol... Dwill has owned Paul.. And Dwill is not scoring much because he doesn't need to.. Dwill is a top 10 player in all of the NBA

LOL your talking about what 3-4 games out of 82. And if DWill doesnt have to score as much nor carry the offensive load, couldnt he atleast be more efficient, or does he not need to hold on to the ball or make it go in that circular bucket thing as much either?

Chronz
04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
You dont understand it because your not attacking the points being made, your just generalizing the fan base as one who doesnt see enough of Deron. Youve been wrong for the past 2 years.

Vinny642
04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Every Nba Anaylist has said deron is #1

NBA Analysts are the most flip floppy people alive, when they show Hornets highlights they say CP is the best when they show Jazz they say Deron. SO they don't mean anything.

PS- Spell analyst correctly.

ldc62
04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I said he was the best PG since the beginning of this season. Deron Williams = Best PG, so no IMO im not underrating him, but everyone else is.

SteveNash
04-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Best PG of this generation.

dwadefan03
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
its easy to forget how good cp3 is when hes been injured all year. i think both of thewm have their strengths and in my opinon both are on the same level. i dont see why you have to pick one over the other. dwills has a better crossover/size and cp3 is more quick/flashy. they are better than each other in certain areas but IMO neither of them are better than each other overall

dwadefan03
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Fixed

yea i thought so too, kobe stole that one

Toenail Clipper
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
He's underrated, but I'll still take Chris Paul over him.

The Prodigy
04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
NBA Analysts are the most flip floppy people alive, when they show Hornets highlights they say CP is the best when they show Jazz they say Deron. SO they don't mean anything.

PS- Spell analyst correctly.

And fans of players are the most biased people alive.

Vinny642
04-08-2010, 07:22 PM
And fans of players are the most biased people alive.

Yes they are.

NINER/BLAZER
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I believe most people consider him #1 or #2 pg in the league so i dont think he is underated. Of course jazz fans believe he is the best ever. As a blazer fan and jazz hater I sadly must agree with them, he is amazing. I would trade as many players as they wanted excluding roy for d-will. I think it would take a while to mesh, but B-Roy and D-Will together is my fantasy. Yeah I just said that!

albertc86
04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I've always felt that Deron Williams was better and more exciting than Chris Paul. Although, I do think that Chris Paul is better at controlling a game than Deron. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either one but you can't forget about Nash either.

MrFastBreak
04-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Since the all-star break, the Jazz are #1 in just about everything, they have the second seed in a ridiculous western conference, Williams averages about 19 points, 10.5 assists. The guy's been in the shadow of Chris Paul his whole career and just made his FIRST all-star game..? I wouldn't put him ahead of Durant, Kobe, Lebron, but it's not a stretch to include him in MVP talk. Just a rock every game. Is he the best point guard?

How could you prove that DWill is the guy behind Utah's success? The whole team's play has been more of the reason they're the 2nd seed and he's only had 3 or 4 GREAT games this season. I appreciate the player he is; a great passer, ballhandler, and one of the most dangerous PnR point guards in the league, I think. He's not the type to change a game in my eyes, but the one to make it flow. Unfortunately for him, CP3 can do both, which is why he beats him in almost every advanced metric there is and is considered the much better player, especially when healthy.

ragee
04-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Sounds like you dont know how valuable CP3 is, you see he doesnt have to rely on his crossover to create space, as a result is less turnover prone. So why are you listing an argument (ballhandling) that actually benefits CP3 case? Oh yeah because it looks SOOO SWEEEET right... His size? That will help him age but it doesnt help him at his peak, CP3 is easily the better player and its not even remotely close.

Dude, I am just pointing out that he has a killer crossover... I am not using it as an argument to point out that he has better ball handling skills than CP3... Lighten up... Oh, and I don't get the highlighted part... His size will make him grow older or something? Or are you saying it will help him when he gets old? Like what Kidd is doing? I don't know man... His size creates a hell of a mismatch problem... That was why even those years when CP3 was better than him, he was still able to be the better man whenever they face each other... Unlike other pgs, he can drive to the basket strong and not afraid to get bumped coz he has a strong upper body...

iFYouSeekAmy
04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Maybe because Jazz has been contenders for SO long that people start to forget about him?

Maybe if they reach the finals he'll get more recognition. Then in many years he'll become overrated.

LA_Raiders
04-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes he is, that dude plays great O & D

momoneyyyy
04-09-2010, 12:51 AM
i think deron is the top point guard right now..