PDA

View Full Version : Can A Great Team Win A Championship With A Bad Coach?

R_O_W_E
04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Do you think it is possible? It seems like the teams in NBA history who won NBA Champions had good or great coaches that led them to the Title.

Could The Bulls Dynasty have won as many titles as they did if their coach was someone like ML Carr?

In the last 30 years of the NBA, the teams who won Championships were led to a Title by a good/great coach. For example, Phil Jackson, Greg Poppovich, Pat Riley, KC Jones, Rudy Tomjanovich, etc. Most of those guys are in or will be in the Hall of Fame one day.

Not to take anything away from the likes of Sloan and Nelson because they each were/are good basketball coaches.

ink
04-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Do you think it is possible? It seems like the teams in NBA history who won NBA Champions had good or great coaches that led them to the Title.

Could The Bulls Dynasty have won as many titles as they did if their coach was someone like ML Carr?

In the last 30 years of the NBA, the teams who won Championships were led to a Title by a good/great coach. For example, Phil Jackson, Greg Poppovich, Pat Riley, KC Jones, Rudy Tomjanovich, etc. Most of those guys are in or will be in the Hall of Fame one day.

Not to take anything away from the likes of Sloan and Nelson because they each were/are good basketball coaches.

Since not a lot of bad coaches are just handed over championship teams we'll never know. The two go together. Usually the coach has already played a huge role developing the team that is now a contender.

R_O_W_E
04-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Since not a lot of bad coaches are just handed over championship teams we'll never know. The two go together. Usually the coach has already played a huge role developing the team that is now a contender.

Kings.

Handed the team from Rick Adelman to Eric Musselman. A team of Bibby/Martin/Artest/Salmons/Miller could've done some damage together with some good draft picks. Im not saying they were Championship level either, but they were a talented team that didnt have enough time to grow together.

Ever since then they have struggled.

I personally think that the coaching will have an impact. Mike Brown unfortunately gets outcoached in the Playoffs.

SwaggaIke
04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
No baiting intended, but I never thought Doc Rivers was the GREATEST coach. Some of Bostons offensive sets in their championship run were brutal. At times it looked like nobody had a clue what was going on.

dtmagnet
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Well if the Cavs win a championship this year then the answer will be yes, Mike Brown is just awful.

R_O_W_E
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
No baiting intended, but I never thought Doc Rivers was the GREATEST coach. Some of Bostons offensive sets in their championship run were brutal. At times it looked like nobody had a clue what was going on.

I think Doc is not a "great" coach but hes a good coach. His players despite their superstar egos seem to respect him and play how he wants them to play.

KG could probably still put up 20/10 if he wanted to but he bought into the team basketball mentality under Doc.

ink
04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Kings.

Handed the team from Rick Adelman to Eric Musselman. A team of Bibby/Martin/Artest/Salmons/Miller could've done some damage together with some good draft picks. Im not saying they were Championship level either, but they were a talented team that didnt have enough time to grow together.

Ever since then they have struggled.

Isn't your question whether a great team can win a championship with a bad coach? How does Musselman make your case when he didn't win a championship and he inherited a team that was declining since 01-02? They had just been eliminated in the first round for the two years leading up to Musselman's hiring.

He didn't win. So, no, it's not common to see a championship team/contender get handed over to a bad coach.

VCaintdead17
04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Doc Rivers has never really been that good of a coach IMO.

GspLAL
04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Doc Rivers isn't really an X's and O's coach, he's more of a motivator. As far as coaches go I give most of the credit for Bostons 08 title to their assistant coach Tom Thibodeau.

tdunk21
04-06-2010, 06:09 PM
doc rivers has never really been that good of a coach imo.

+1

Kakaroach
04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Doc Rivers isn't a great coach, but the thread says "bad coach" and Rivers isn't a bad coach either.

As for the question, I think no. A bad coach can't control his team's personalties and can't use his players to their maximum ability. And its things like those that end up in championships.

Raph12
04-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes if the GM is good enough to put together a team so dominant, then yes, it could happen.

tredigs
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Understanding how bad / good / great a coach will always be a bit of a mystery to people (or me, at least) unless you yourself are part of the organization. You can get a good grasp of it through seeing how they react in the game; but a lot of coaching is done in practice, and none of us know exactly how good or bad these coaches are when it comes to practice, team dynamic/rapport, etc.

Also, it's a chicken vs. egg type of deal. Who knows how great of a coach Phil Jackson would ultimately be considered if he ran shop in Milwaukee rather than Jordan's Bulls or Shaq and Kobe's Lakers. Definitely not as great as he is now.

All that said, with a good enough team that had a solid veteran presence/leadership, you could probably have a pygmy rat run the team and the would be contenders/champions.

Isn't that the case in Cleveland?

Raps18-19 Champ
04-06-2010, 06:42 PM
What everyone said.

Doc isn't the greatest coach.

Mike Brown will be added beside him if Cavs win a title.

ink
04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Doc Rivers isn't a great coach, but the thread says "bad coach" and Rivers isn't a bad coach either.

As for the question, I think no. A bad coach can't control his team's personalties and can't use his players to their maximum ability. And its things like those that end up in championships.

This.

Tblaze
04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Well if the Cavs win a championship this year then the answer will be yes, Mike Brown is just awful.

Agreed.

Also Doc Rivers showed you can if you have enough leadership in your lockerroom I guess..

R_O_W_E
04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Agreed.

Also Doc Rivers showed you can if you have enough leadership in your lockerroom I guess..

He also showed you can be very lucky coaching an inexperienced young squad the previous season, only to then to acquire 2 future HOFers, and win a Championship.

I think the Lakers get the repeat anyways.

ldc62
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
IMO Mike Brown is overrated. Hes not that good, and if they win this year, that will be as close as it gets.