PDA

View Full Version : Can All the Lower Seeds in the West Upset?

shep33
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Interesting when you look at this, I was listening to a podcast on ESPN and they were breaking down the matchups saying all the lower seeds could win (seeds 5-8).

LA vs Portland
Dallas vs San Antonio
Denver vs OKC
Utah vs Phoenix

I mean its possible i guess, i think LA with Bynum would make short work of the Blazers, but if he's out Portland's got a decent shot with their matchups.

Dallas vs San Antonio would go 6-7 IMO. Spurs playing great right now with Manu.

Denver vs OKC, Nuggets are struggling and their coach might miss the 1st round (hope he gets better). OKC can get hot, and depending on how Kmart is they could win

Utah vs Phoenix is very close. Williams vs Nash will be fun. Easily go 6-7 IMO. The seem to match up well, Boozer vs. Stoudamire, etc.

still1ballin
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I think Portland can def. upset the Lakers w/o Bynum, especially the way Lakers play in Portland.

JasonJohnHorn
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, everyone of these teams can upset. I would pick the Lakers personally, but the Trailblazers have got some realy talent, shooters that can spread the defence, and a clutch shooteer in Roy. The Spurs are the Spurs, so even though they have a hole at center, they have the talent and the coach. the Sun I wouldnt put money on, but Utah has underachieved in the playoffs in the past (and have also over achieved), so that could go either way, and OKC has some talent too, but I'd got with Denver's depth. I would likely pick the home court team in each of these series with the exception of Mavs/Spurs (because I'm a big Duncan fan, but I'm likely wrong since the Mavs knocked them off pretty easily last season), and maybe Phoenix, though I think Utah has a better roster and a better coach, Amare and Nash are just amazing in my book (even if both are defensive liabilities), and can really light it up when they are on fire, and Amare has been playing his best basketball of the season lately.

ManRam
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I think they all could. They obviously wont all.

Portland has they height to deal with LA, and a superstar in Roy. OKC has the talent, and if Durant and Russy get hot, they could easily win a few games, or the series. PHX and SA are some of the hottest teams in the league right now, and can definitely beat any given team on any given day.

I think OKC is least likely, followed by Portland. I'd be hard pressed to really say that if either of the other two won that it would be an "upset".

randomness
04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
They all can but most likely they won't all upset.. maybe 1 or 2 at most.

Raph12
04-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Spurs and Suns can do it, Melo can exercise his demons by destroying KD in the playoffs.

ballpd05
04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
The Suns have the best chance. I don't see OKC, Spurs, or Portland getting it done. The spurs could make it interesting though.

The goods
04-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Spurs and Suns can do it, Melo can exercise his demons by destroying KD in the playoffs.

lol excercise his demons i like that yea he can and i think he will
and yes with the exception of portland but at the same time i wouldn't guarantee a lakers victory either these are good match-ups and cant wait

G-Funk
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Portland ca make it interesting but they can't win in L.A at best I see it going to 7

Mavrix
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
If Dallas plays SA it won't go more than 5 just like last year. Dallas has owned the Spurs since 06

RaptorsDoItBest
04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Interesting when you look at this, I was listening to a podcast on ESPN and they were breaking down the matchups saying all the lower seeds could win (seeds 5-8).

LA vs Portland
Dallas vs San Antonio
Denver vs OKC
Utah vs Phoenix

I mean its possible i guess, i think LA with Bynum would make short work of the Blazers, but if he's out Portland's got a decent shot with their matchups.

Dallas vs San Antonio would go 6-7 IMO. Spurs playing great right now with Manu.

Denver vs OKC, Nuggets are struggling and their coach might miss the 1st round (hope he gets better). OKC can get hot, and depending on how Kmart is they could win

Utah vs Phoenix is very close. Williams vs Nash will be fun. Easily go 6-7 IMO. The seem to match up well, Boozer vs. Stoudamire, etc.

You have to understand that Kobe Bryant is a different person in the playoffs. Brandon Roy CANNOT and i repeat, CANNOT hold Bryant, especially in the playoffs. No way Portland will beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. Dallas and San Antonio can go either way but i got Dallas to win that series. Denver vs. OKC is a no-brainer, Denver will MOP OKC. PERIOD. You guys have to understand that the playoffs and the regular season are alot different. The players feel different, play different, communicate different. OKC has 0 playoff exp. Utah vs. Phoenix is can also go either way but IMO i think Phoenix will come on top.

ballpd05
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
It is easier to steal games when the games come in a random order. Sometimes you catch fire, or you have a gameplan specifically for that team that they can't scout. In a 7 game series they know your style of play and what you are going to do, so that is when it comes down to who is better.

PC
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jazz and Nuggets get upset but I can't see the Lakers or Mavs losing in the 1st round

jimbobjarree
04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Suns cant win in Salt Lake City if their lives depended on it. They better hope for homecourt if we meet

jackdawson
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
West is unbelievable. You can't really pick a favorite team over the other...well except may be the Lakers.

JayW_1023
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
If Dallas plays SA it won't go more than 5 just like last year. Dallas has owned the Spurs since 06

True... mostly because Dirks game is kryptonite to the spurs. But now both teams are significantly different so I wouldn't be so sure of a series win.

shep33
04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
You have to understand that Kobe Bryant is a different person in the playoffs. Brandon Roy CANNOT and i repeat, CANNOT hold Bryant, especially in the playoffs. No way Portland will beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. Dallas and San Antonio can go either way but i got Dallas to win that series. Denver vs. OKC is a no-brainer, Denver will MOP OKC. PERIOD. You guys have to understand that the playoffs and the regular season are alot different. The players feel different, play different, communicate different. OKC has 0 playoff exp. Utah vs. Phoenix is can also go either way but IMO i think Phoenix will come on top.

I completely agree that the playoffs are different, and Kobe and the Lakers will likely step it up. However, with Bynum out, i don't know if you've been watching the Lakers bench lately, but they've been hideous, I found this stat where they were outscored something like 100-38 in a couple of their past losses. Lakers need Bynum to put LO back on the bench and get stability. I still think LA will beat Portland, but it could also drag out a bit longer then they want without Bynum. As good as the Lakers are, its tough to win with 4 players doing all the scoring for them. I think with Bynum though, they have a great shot at getting back to the Finals.

Denver vs OKC is interesting man, Denver hasn't been the same without Kmart and George Karl plain and simple. When you lose your head coach especially Karl who the players love, its a big downer man. Only advantage right now if both teams were gonna play is Denver's experience, cause the Nuggets have injuries across the board, and if they're not healthy by playoffs they could get a tough series vs OKC.

junion
04-05-2010, 03:09 PM
the way the talent is set in the west, i think it's more possible this season than any other recent season, but i don't see 7, 8 beating 1, 2 in the west, but the middle 3-6 looks like it can be anyone's game, but i still think there could just be one or two "upsets".

braveniler58
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Whoever plays Denver first round has a good chance of upsetting them -- no Karl.

mikantsass
04-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I really dont see the Lakers losing to Portland, but the other 3 upsets are possible