PDA

View Full Version : Should Coach and GM salarys count against the cap?

Hellcrooner
04-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Make it wider of course but count them in too.

I mean the salary cap i meant to help teams be equally competitive thats what Draft, having to match salarys in trades and all those measures are bout too.

Well , think of it a Good coach can mean a real upgrade with the same roster example PJ wining it all with basically the same bulls team others had failed or wining it with Shaq and KObe when others had failed.

So A good coach is a Factor in that competitiviness the league wants to foment.

Also Having a Good GM can make you stronger via good trades.

ITs feasable that good coachs and Gms will demmand MORE money than others so they competitive advantage they bring should be taking on account too.

SO, what do you say , include them in the Salaray Cap?

Just check , Nets are offering 15 M to Coach K.

Hawkeye15
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
no way. But there should be a hard cap that everyone plays by imo.

CostanzaNumba0
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
there shouldn't be a cap period, or players contracts shouldn't be guaranteed.. lack of competitiveness in NY and Chicago for so long is killing the league (they lost 300 million this year alone) and thats the direct result of the bs cap system

Miltown34
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
There should be a cap for coaches maybe but seperate from the players(so salaries don't get out of hand) example coach K mgiht get 15 mil from the Nets, salray cap is needed, cus the Lakers will pair LeBron, Kobe, and whoever else they want to. Wow Milwaukee will not be able to re-sign big time players, just like in baseball we do the ebst we can with almost 85-90 million dollar payroll, but the NY teams just offer way more. The only reason why basketball you get the same teams competing is because there's only 12 players on a roster and 1-2 stars can swing a team from being bad to being dominant..I like seeing smaller market teams do well. The only reason in bball that a team doesn't succeed is bad personnel decisions. With no salary cap you can cover up your bad drafting by out spending teams. I like the strategy that you have to make good decisions and your team pays for it when you make dumb decisions. Baseball not so much

thescore53
04-05-2010, 09:37 AM
there shouldn't be a cap period, or players contracts shouldn't be guaranteed.. lack of competitiveness in NY and Chicago for so long is killing the league (they lost 300 million this year alone) and thats the direct result of the bs cap system

oo you want the nba to be like baseball where there are unfair amount of talent on big market teams

avrpatsfan
04-05-2010, 09:49 AM
No.

arkanian215
04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
oo you want the nba to be like baseball where there are unfair amount of talent on big market teams

hmm he lives in queens but no way is he a mets fan.

CostanzaNumba0
04-05-2010, 10:12 AM

Compare the health of the two leagues and get back to me, and baseballs not the only sport without a salary cap, go check out the European soccer leagues and see how they're doing as well. I'm not saying abolish a cap, I'm saying get rid of the guaranteed contracts like the nfl does. I don't believe that fans should suffer a decade of poor play because of a few boneheaded contracts.. whether you ny haters like it or not, we are the media capital of the world,, it helps any league's health if our teams are competitive whether you like it or not

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
no way. But there should be a hard cap that everyone plays by imo.

NO:no:

td0tsfinest
04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
^ it's the same thing with European soccer teams. The nba has built a system where cities like Orlando and San Antonio can still compete with the big market cities and it's great for the game.

CostanzaNumba0
04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
but its not great for the game, look at the revenue generated this year, they are hemhoragging money

mikantsass
04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
No, coaches and GMs should not count against the cap.

Hawkeye15
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
NO:no:

why?

ballpd05
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I think there should be a coaching cap that includes the Scouts, Assistant Coaches, and Head Coaches.

TopsyTurvy
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
European club soccer is a far cry from the financial stability found in the MLB. In the EPL alone there are 4 or more teams facing serious enough financial woes to get them relegated from the Premship if their wage spending is not adjusted. Picture a team like the Yankees having to shed 10-20 million in cap per year to be able to continue to play...

abe_froman
04-05-2010, 01:09 PM
hell no

NY-SportsFan
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
There should be a cap.
Contracts should not be fully guaranteed like they are. There are so many players that get their big contract and become lazy because there is no motivation.

CostanzaNumba0
04-05-2010, 01:22 PM
^^ I think thats a healthy compromise

hvg
04-05-2010, 01:31 PM
The NBA will certainly make more money without a cap. This will allow the big markets to put out better teams and the big markets generate more revenue. As a fan though, I appreciate that they don't do this. I'd much rather have a league where every team has a fair shot of being competitive.

I'm not sure adding coaching salaries in a cap is a good idea though. Two biggest reasons:
- Coaches can't be traded
- Coaches can't be benched
If a highly paid player is under-performing, you can try replacing him with a less paid/younger player in the line-up or try trading him. The only solution to an under-performing coach is firing him, and that could hamper a team for years (if he's included in the cap).

Mr. Net32
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I'll just says this BIG MARKET TEAMS MISSING THE PLAYOFFS IS BAD for any and every sports league or association!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
why?

cause you may can't even keep your own players

Hellcrooner
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
mmm can we stay on topic im asking bout gms and coaches being includd in the cap.

Not about if there should or shouldnt be a cap.

IM thinking on making a comparison between soccer and nba in that regad and writing an article it may lead to some surprises.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Nope

Qdawg
04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
No, shelling out money for a good coach is the owner's decision, but the league does need to keep a cap for players, I hate how the Yankees can spend ten times as much as the Marlins in baseball.