PDA

View Full Version : Is Making Money More Important Than Winning A Championship?

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
This is always discussed and talked about during Free Agency but in some cases you really have to wonder what is more important for NBA players.

Is the pursuit of a NBA career to amass financial gains or is to win a Championship at the highest level of basketball in the world?

For example:

In 2008 Corey Maggette had been to the Playoffs once in his entire career and after opting out of his contract with the Clippers he had to choose between making more money while losing or making less money to win. With Boston, under his former coach Doc Rivers, Corey could've signed for the Full MLE assuming James Posey's role signing a contract similar to what Artest signed with the Lakers in a 5 Year, $33 Million dollar contract. If Corey had signed with the Celtics, they would be better than what they are currently and he would be praised for his role on a successful team while competing for a NBA Title. Corey instead chose the Golden State Warriors, where he signed a 5 Year, $50 Million dollar contract which pays him $17 Million more than what he would've made in Boston. Corey is now viewed as overpaid, he isn't underrated because hes not praised at all for his ballhogging and lack of effort. We're not going to the Playoffs or competing for a NBA Title anytime soon, unless we are able to deal Maggette elsewhere.

Not everybody is lucky like Kobe, Shaq or Duncan in which they're among the highest paid players but win Championships. 98% of the NBA has to make that choice of what matters most, money or titles? I'd love to see some guy pull a Ron Harper and sign to play for a Championship caliber team for the sake of winning Titles.

ManRam
04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
It depends. I know that in my profession, I'd rather make more money than pretty much anything else (besides like hours working, location, etc.).

I'm sure every player wants to win, but they are all more concerned with money. Usually after two big contacts will a player make a sacrifice to win.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-03-2010, 09:18 PM
If I was Maggette I would rather make money but if I was a star and already had endorsements I would take less money to win big.

tdunk21
04-03-2010, 09:22 PM
boozer was supposed to sign with cavs long back.....if boozer played for the cavs with lebron he would have won a ring which he could not accomplish in utah....he chose money therefore givin up his chances to win a championship.....

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 09:24 PM
It depends. I know that in my profession, I'd rather make more money than pretty much anything else (besides like hours working, location, etc.).

I'm sure every player wants to win, but they are all more concerned with money. Usually after two big contacts will a player make a sacrifice to win.

Sometimes when they realize they want to win, their egos wont let them accept a diminished role due to their skill level(AI, Malone, Spreewell,) or they simply aren't healthy enough to continue to play basketball in the NBA.

It seems like you have time it perfectly or push for a trade to a contender as your skill set starts to diminish.

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 09:28 PM
boozer was supposed to sign with cavs long back.....if boozer played for the cavs with lebron he would have won a ring which he could not accomplish in utah....he chose money therefore givin up his chances to win a championship.....

I would disagree but I dont see any way Boozer can win a Championship with Utah unless they make a huge deal to acquire a legit SG/SF.

Discr3t
04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I hate when players choose money over winning. I understand the choice I guess where they have to take care of themselves but it just irritates me because it ruins the intensity of the game.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Sometimes when they realize they want to win, their egos wont let them accept a diminished role due to their skill level(AI, Malone, Spreewell,) or they simply aren't healthy enough to continue to play basketball in the NBA.

It seems like you have time it perfectly or push for a trade to a contender as your skill set starts to diminish.

Didn't Malone sign with LA for like 1.5 million in hopes of winning a title?

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Didn't Malone sign with LA for like 1.5 million in hopes of winning a title?

Then if I remember correctly he talked with Minnesota, but when they offered a bench role, he retired.

Romo2Bryant
04-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I hate when players choose money over winning. I understand the choice I guess where they have to take care of themselves but it just irritates me because it ruins the intensity of the game.

Will that's obviously easy for you to say... Let's say, if you were B. Lopez and the Nets offer you 5 years 100 million, but the Lakers offer you 5 years 20 million. Which one would you rather take? And remember after there careers are over, how are they gonna make money? Not, everyone can be NBA analysis.

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Magette was young and was being offered a bog contract. When guys are young they take the pay day, when they get older they go ring chasing. That's how it works. Get security, then chase your dreams.

Ask this of the owners and see what the answer is. Most I bet would say making money ;)

Raps18-19 Champ
04-03-2010, 09:53 PM
For big star players, they would want the Championship.

But for guys who have felt underpaid or don't want to accept a smaller role(aka Magette), they could go to the team that offers more cash and a bigger role even if the team is sub par than a championship team that is tight on its rotation of players meaning less playing time.

xBLAMEITON24x
04-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Money is more important than winning a championship for nba players, players like Kobe, Lebron, KG etc view a championship as the most important because they are already making 8-firgures a year. The majority of nba players for the money.

Qdawg
04-03-2010, 10:21 PM
It really depends on the player, it's their choice. If a player wants to make money then let him, he has about a 15 year window to make the money that may support him for his whole life, so naturally it's ok to want to make as much as possible. However if you're a superstar who already has all the money you'll ever need then it makes sense to go for the ring, it just depends on the player.

kswissdaf
04-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Honestly who gives a **** about winning. If you were in the NBA would you want money or a ring? its a business

PBG
04-03-2010, 11:46 PM
honestly who gives a **** about winning. If you were in the nba would you want money or a ring? Its a business

+1

kblo247
04-03-2010, 11:50 PM
All depends on the person:

Some were poor and just want to never be in that situation or have their family be in that situation so they get all the money they can, while they can

Some want to win and just can't settle for not being the best and use that as their motivation.

A few lucky individuals win and make money, but the likelihood of doing both aren't always there so you have to take into account their pasts as well.

dtmagnet
04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
For a young player you definitely want to get yourself set financially. Winning becomes a priority when you're old and rich.

_KB24_
04-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Depends on who it is and their situation. Role players HAVE to go for their money. Star players, have the choice. They are already set for life, and if they are missing that ring, they should put them in the bets position to win.

D-Will4Prez
04-04-2010, 12:35 AM

...And who's got the 2nd seed in the west? :eyebrow:

Miltown34
04-04-2010, 12:42 AM
depends. If I was a star and someone was willing to overpay for my services and I'm like 29-30 years old and they offer me 16 mil a season. I would accept it instead of playing with a championship team for 5 mil. Now if the Championship team offered me atleast 12 mil then I would accept it. If I was say a 34-35 year old player with 2-3 solid years left. My last couple of years I would take less money.