PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith: Durant has passed Melo in recognition

JordansBulls
04-03-2010, 04:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/asksam_100402.html

Sam: I’ve long believed Carmelo will end up with the Knicks in the summer of 2011 and you already can see that developing. That’s what I hear around Anthony and the Knicks already are talking about this being a process and not being just about this summer. Anthony, I believe, prefers New York. He played at Syracuse and is from Baltimore. Chicago is Denver to him, and he’s been upset that even Durant, whom I see resigning with the Thunder, has passed him by in recognition because he is playing in Denver. And now you can see the Nuggets beginning a decline with Kenyon Martin hurt again and Chauncey Billups again slowing some as the season concludes. Carmelo knows their window is short and he’s gone. It would be a huge risk for a team like the Bulls given Anthony could—and likely would—leave in a year. Plus, most teams ride it out, especially the way the Pistons were burned letting go Billups for fear of him declining or eventually losing him.

barreleffact
04-03-2010, 04:32 PM
carmelo is a bum. without everyone together he loses. he needs players to make him more efficient and better. as a player, durant has already overtaken him with ease in every way except clutch shooting

Clutch6
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Agreed, solid point. Durant is way more popular than Melo at this point.

E.O.21
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
carmelo is a bum. without everyone together he loses. he needs players to make him more efficient and better. as a player, durant has already overtaken him with ease in every way except clutch shooting

Hell no... Durant hasnt won ****... just a game of horse

barreleffact
04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Hell no... Durant hasnt won ****

thats the dumbest deciding factor there is. its like saying if a player has no rings their career was trash. durants skillset is better than melo's in nearly every way. durant is more consistent as well. the deciding factor is what can he do when his other stars go down. idk yet since durants team hasnt been healthy but i do know that denver is crap even with melo there if they dont have billups and or martin. its a shame too.

GodsSon
04-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Durant has passed Melo...I'd even consider putting him over Wade

AntwanN21
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
yes Durant is better than Melo at this point, Durant has taken his team to almost 50 wins, after not making the playoffs or comin close last year. Melo is a great player and is on a great team. But, as of right now Durant is the better player.

And i agree with him over Wade as well

HouRealCoach
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Have to wait until Durant goes thru the injury stage... Not many players make it thru that stage :)

AntwanN21
04-03-2010, 04:45 PM
We all know Melo is going to the raptors......

NYtilIdie
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Durant is already ahead of Melo IMO and would be ahead of Wade, but Wade has been playing like last year as of late.

So Durant would be 3rd or 4th on my rankings right now.

jackdawson
Durant has passed Melo...I'd even consider putting him over Wade:facepalm::facepalm:

Sure. Bosh, Bergs, demar, Durant, Lebron, wade...in that order.

E.O.21

KD is 1 of if not the best scorer in the league but have u seen what wade has done with such a crap team.. i think theyve won like 6 straight or something like that

ldc62
04-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Melo isn't actually quoted so I will believe what Sam Smith says (for the sake of argument).

I don't understand why players whine about "not getting enough attention". If you want attention, earn it by going far in the playoffs. Throughout his career he was been a playoff bust (first round exits, except last year). OKC isn't that big a market and KD is getting recognition because of he has earned it. If Melo wants to pass KD in recognition he should just play the game instead of planning on where he should go to get it.

:facepalm::facepalm:

:facepalm: What he said wasn't that far-fetched. Durant in some people's mind is better than Wade; not mine, but what he said wasn't crazy.

tredigs
04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Can't say that surprises me.

Toenail Clipper
04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Durant surpassed who?
Haha just kidding.
But yes, I agree with Smith.

Baller1
04-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Better players usually get more recognition. Simple concept.

D Roses Bulls
04-03-2010, 04:56 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: oh dont do it

tredigs
04-03-2010, 04:58 PM
thats the dumbest deciding factor there is. its like saying if a player has no rings their career was trash. durants skillset is better than melo's in nearly every way. durant is more consistent as well. the deciding factor is what can he do when his other stars go down. idk yet since durants team hasnt been healthy but i do know that denver is crap even with melo there if they dont have billups and or martin. its a shame too.

Well, Melo didn't get out of the Western Conference first round until his 6th year in the league, and he had a prime Marcus Camby and prime Andre Miller. Those are some solid role players. So that's not a true gripe.

Durant, this year... 21, is putting up better numbers than Melo's best year. Offensively and defensively. We'll wait for the playoffs to set it in stone, but by all accounts he has been surpassed.

Iodine
04-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I dunno, Durant is my 3rd favorite player in the league and I love his game, but still I dont want to put him out to be this good until the playoffs. and by this good I mean for sure top 3 or 4 guy

I just usually reserve the top 5 players in the NBA for guys who get it done in the playoffs, and not saying Durant wont, but its still an unknown

Iodine
04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
carmelo is a bum. without everyone together he loses. he needs players to make him more efficient and better.

You just described Reggie Miller perfectly

If you want I could list a bunch of other guys like that

jackdawson
04-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Melo isn't actually quoted so I will believe what Sam Smith says (for the sake of argument).

I don't understand why players whine about "not getting enough attention". If you want attention, earn it by going far in the playoffs. Throughout his career he was been a playoff bust (first round exits, except last year). OKC isn't that big a market and KD is getting recognition because of he has earned it. If Melo wants to pass KD in recognition he should just play the game instead of planning on where he should go to get it.

:facepalm: What he said wasn't that far-fetched. Durant in some people's mind is better than Wade; not mine, but what he said wasn't crazy.:facepalm::facepalm:

Well, in some people's mind he's better than the greatest ballhog ever from LA too. what's the point??

Avenged
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I'd still pick Melo over Durant right now. Maybe cause i've always been a fan since his college days. Durant if he continues at the pace he is now, will no doubt in my mind surpass him without a doubt.

mrblisterdundee
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Kevin Durant surpassed Carmello Anthony this season. He was on a lesser team, which has been overachieving the entire season. Anthony also hasn't shown the same leadership abilities as Durant.

NYK_kidd77
04-03-2010, 05:14 PM
After this summer fail Knick fans can get all excited about Melo and then have it fail on us another time :(

barreleffact
04-03-2010, 05:16 PM
You just described Reggie Miller perfectly

If you want I could list a bunch of other guys like that

we all could. and those players arent truly elites...

valade16
04-03-2010, 05:21 PM
:rolleyes:
Kevin Durant surpassed Carmello Anthony this season. He was on a lesser team, which has been overachieving the entire season. Anthony also hasn't shown the same leadership abilities as Durant.

welcome to the NBA, home of the fans with five second memories...

In case everyone has forgotten, the Nuggets still have a better record than Durant's Thunder, AND they went to the WCF's last year.

Not to mention 'Melo is a more complete scorer. He's a better post player, his drives are better, he's a great shooter (though not as good as durant), he's tougher.

And this amazing Durant year is only 1.2 ppg better than Melo, whil Melo still brings almost as many rebounds, slightly more assists and less turnovers...

I wonder what happens to everyone's opinions if the Thunder get bounced in the first round and Melo makes it to the finals?

Something tells me A LOT of people will be changing their tunes

Iodine
04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
we all could. and those players arent truly elites...

Haha yeah I agree, I see now I worded it wrong

avrpatsfan
04-03-2010, 05:24 PM
yes Durant is better than Melo at this point, Durant has taken his team to almost 50 wins, after not making the playoffs or comin close last year. Melo is a great player and is on a great team. But, as of right now Durant is the better player.

And i agree with him over Wade as well

This.
/Thread

kjoke
04-03-2010, 05:25 PM
durants a beast, i agree

DodgerBulls
04-03-2010, 05:39 PM
or we can just have them play 1v1. Since we are talking about the individuals rather than the team, a simple 1v1 on the court should settle this argument.

tp13baby
04-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Well, Melo didn't get out of the Western Conference first round until his 6th year in the league, and he had a prime Marcus Camby and prime Andre Miller. Those are some solid role players. So that's not a true gripe.

Durant, this year... 21, is putting up better numbers than Melo's best year. Offensively and defensively. We'll wait for the playoffs to set it in stone, but by all accounts he has been surpassed.

Melo was young with andre. Marcus was a little old and usually always injuried.

durant overall has to do it all because they dont have the scorers. Billups is a better scorer than westbrook and i could go on.

I do believe Durant will be better but im not going with him until he does something in the playoffs.

I predict OKC wins it all in 2 years though if not next year.

Venomous88
04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I'd even consider putting him over Wade

And i agree with him over Wade as wellNo, Wade is still the more complete player than Durant. Durant and Melo are much more natural scorers , but they doesn't do as much on the defensive side as Wade. Especially given the fact that they are both bigger than Wade, Wade plays much bigger than his size and is one of the best shot blocking guards to ever play. Currently, I would rank it as:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. LeBron James
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Kevin Durant
5. Carmelo Anthony

However, Carmelo can't ignore the fact that he was getting recognition (MVP talks) at the beginning of the season when he was leading the league in scoring and Denver was back and forth for the best record in the West. If he plays well and his team wins, he will get the recognition he deserves. But as of now, all of the fore mentioned players have played a much better game.

thescore53
04-03-2010, 06:30 PM
ok so he's saying carmello is likely to leave to go play for a big market, beacuse durant who is playing in a even smaller market is more famous than him, wow, melo needs to hyperize while they'll be criticizen he needs to his thing like everyday

thedfactor
04-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Not going to argue, I'd take Durant over Melo

Go_NUGGETS
04-03-2010, 07:06 PM

In case everyone has forgotten, the Nuggets still have a better record than Durant's Thunder, AND they went to the WCF's last year.

Not to mention 'Melo is a more complete scorer. He's a better post player, his drives are better, he's a great shooter (though not as good as durant), he's tougher.

And this amazing Durant year is only 1.2 ppg better than Melo, whil Melo still brings almost as many rebounds, slightly more assists and less turnovers...

I wonder what happens to everyone's opinions if the Thunder get bounced in the first round and Melo makes it to the finals?

/THREAD....

These confused fans always change their tune overnight on this site.

shep33
04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I love KD, and i think he's gonna be even better. But give me Melo right now over KD easily.

I just like Melo's aggression on offense a bit more than Durant. Melo seems like he can bang down low with the bigs whenever he wants, and Durant can't do that. So for me IMO i'd still take Melo.

BkOriginalOne
04-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't think you can put Durrant ahead of anyone until we see how he does in the playoffs, honestly.

Rego247
04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't think you can put Durrant ahead of anyone until we see how he does in the playoffs, honestly.

exactly, i mean there threads that say hes the next Michael jordon. kid hasnt won a playoff series, so id have to take a more established player like melo.

based on skill set its 50/50, but in the end id still take melo, just waiting to see how kd performs in the playoffs

_KB24_
04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
No, I'd still take Melo. In my eyes, he's still the better scorer; both on the perimeter and hands down in the paint. Melo is much more physical and stronger, and can bully his way into the lane against anybody. Melo also is a proven leader. Led his team to the NCAA title, made the playoffs in his first season and ever since, and a leader on the Redeem team.

D Roses Bulls
04-03-2010, 08:02 PM

:clap: instead of the NBA, it should be PSD members home of the 5 second memories. some people on this site change their opinion faster then ESPN does and I never thought anyone had a shorter memory then ESPN writers, but some of you guys proved me wrong.

Go_NUGGETS
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
By the way...Sam Smith is an idiot...Jumping to all sort of conclusions because Nuggets have hit a hump.

Draco
04-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Durant passed Melo in recognition because Melo plays in Denver... while Durant is playing in OKC?

Jahari Kavi
04-03-2010, 10:53 PM
was jus thinking about melo in NY this past week........

blah-blah
04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Melo hes got an all around game and durant just seems like a scorer

Hugbees
04-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Old news imo.

JordansBulls
04-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Durant passed Melo in recognition because Melo plays in Denver... while Durant is playing in OKC?

Yeah, that didn't make sense either.

ElMarroAfamado
04-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Agreed, solid point. Durant is way more popular than Melo at this point.

its simple to like kd

melo not so much

alencp3
04-04-2010, 06:24 AM
1.LBJ
2.KD
3.Kobe
4.Howard
5.Wade

tjlipford
04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I like Melo, but as someone said earlier, u can sort of see the decline when K-mart got injured. I know he is a big piece to that team but the way that team is constructed it seems that everyone needs to be 100% healthy and playing at their highest level in order to actually make some noise.

Melo is a beast but Durant has the Thunder playing well and he is carrying that team through a lot of tough games. (I know they have other good players like westbrook, green, etc.)

Melo doesnt seem like he can carry his team the way Kobe has or LB has. IMO

Raoul Duke
04-04-2010, 10:11 AM
its simple to like kd

melo not so much

Yeah. If Durant is more popular, then it's not because he's a drastically superior player. It's because Melo has shown the propensity to be a complete douche bag whereas Durant hasn't.

Trust me. I work with a bunch of guys who don't watch the NBA at all, but they remember all the players who have had off-court issues.

JordansBulls
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
1.LBJ
2.KD
3.Kobe
4.Howard
5.Wade

How can you be the 2nd best player in the league if you haven't been in the playoffs yet in your 3rd season?

koreancabbage
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Carmelo is a perennial allstar player but that's about it. Unless he wins a championship anytime soon, he'll fade in Durant's shadow, cuz Durant is on the rise.

until durant wins a championship in the next 3 years, Durant will also sink back to being JUST an all-star pretty soon as well.

JordansBulls
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Carmelo is a perennial allstar player but that's about it. Unless he wins a championship anytime soon, he'll fade in Durant's shadow, cuz Durant is on the rise.

until durant wins a championship in the next 3 years, Durant will also sink back to being JUST an all-star pretty soon as well.

Why is this?

GodsSon
04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
:facepalm::facepalm:

Heat fans stay true to their rep and continuously *****...question, has Wade taken a step back this year? Yes, he has...Has Durant vastly improved this year? Yes he has...I don't care what Wade's previous accomplishments were, I think Durant has slightly passed him this year; just look at what him and OKC are doing out in the West right now...

And before any Heat fan interjects and disagrees with the bolded part saying "look at his supporting cast", I suggest you look through your own forum and read the comments that claim Beasley will be better than Bosh, JO is back to 2002 form and Mario Chalmers is better than Rose

JNA17
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
1.LBJ
2.KD
3.Kobe
4.Howard
5.Wade

90% of humanity are stupid, i am sticking to that statement.

alencp3
04-05-2010, 04:47 AM
90% of humanity are stupid, i am sticking to that statement.

I guess u are the 10%
Thats the right list u like it or not

kurivaimu
04-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Hell no... Durant hasnt won ****... just a game of horse

what has Melo won ? lol

a trip to the WCF? and that due to Chauncey..
before chauncey melo and the nuggets sucked balls...couldn't get out of the first round

barreleffact
04-05-2010, 05:34 AM
How can you be the 2nd best player in the league if you haven't been in the playoffs yet in your 3rd season?

how many seasons did it take lebron?

tredigs
04-05-2010, 05:44 AM

Do you really need this answered? I'll give you three reasons.

1. The main reason is because he wasn't a top 2-5 talent in the league until this season. His defense is finally catching up to his offense.

2. The Thunder as a team were extremely young the past two seasons (still are), and we're in a major rebuilding process after losing Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen, on top of being a bottom dwelling team WITH those two.

3. They play in an extremely tough Western Conference.

It took Lebron 3 years in the Eastern Conference before he was able to lead them to the playoffs as well (widely considered a top player in the league at the time). Durant's leading the Thunder to within 1.5 games of the 2 seed in the West, I'd say any praise he's getting is well deserved. Final test is to see how they do in the playoffs.

JNA17
04-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I guess u are the 10%
Thats the right list u like it or not

ah the "right" list. Love the homerism :facepalm:

BOSTON617
04-05-2010, 08:27 AM
lol @ this thread everyone has there own opinion i can put kd first does that mean hes the best no... heat fans praise wade he is no where close to lebron or kobe do i look at you guys crazy no.... is kd being the 3rd or 4th best in the league a crazy statement no... so let it be lol wade has been on the decline but id still put wade a head of kd because of his accomplishments but wade is at a dif postion then kd... kd is a freak hes going to be a problem but AS OF NOW WADE IS JUST SO GOOD AT TURNING A GAME AROUND ILL TAKE WADE...but kd will have the better career book it

JordansBulls
04-05-2010, 08:27 AM
how many seasons did it take lebron?

3 seasons. And by then he was maybe a top 3-4 player.

DaBUU
04-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Durant is top 5 on any list

Bring The Heat
04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Wade > KD sorry guys... I like KD and think he's top 5 but he's not touching Wade yet... Wade is a beast on both ends of the floor...Come on dude is 6'4 and leads SG's in blocked shots... Wade blocks 7 footers at his height like nothing..... Apparently nobody has been watching him as of late... Heat have won 8 in a row and are sitting at the 5th seed... Wade has had a couple of 40point games... not only points but tacking on more assists, steals, rebounds... He's been doing it all... Not too mention he doesn't have a supporting cast like Durant has... Yeah that team is young but they are LOADED with talent and compliment durant well

td0tsfinest
04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
so it's no longer about 2010, it's about 2011?

nuggetsyankees
04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
We'll just have to see...they're playing on Wed.

JDizzle
04-05-2010, 11:55 AM
damn right he has

alencp3
04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
ah the "right" list. Love the homerism :facepalm:

Homerism?!?!:clap: Thats the list about this year. Not about overall career or talent.Durant turned his franchise from 20 to 50 wins with only one solid player on his team!

philliesfan26
04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
durant is growing to be one of the best in the nba. And in my eyes deserves a mvp and i think will be a future hall of famer and is better than mellow DURANTULA!!!!

Chronz
04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
3 seasons. And by then he was maybe a top 3-4 player.

So then what are you so confused about?

Raph12
04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Maybe defensively, but on offense, Melo, Roy and Kobe are on a completely different level... Durant still needs to work on his ballhandling, slashing and postgame.

alencp3
04-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe defensively, but on offense, Melo, Roy and Kobe are on a completely different level... Durant still needs to work on his ballhandling, slashing and postgame.

Howard needs too.:D

Raph12
04-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Howard needs too.:D

x2

SteveNash
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Carmelo Anthony (Den) 2,137,560
Kevin Durant (OKC) 870,567

Sam Smith is an idiot. :rolleyes:

JNA17
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Homerism?!?!:clap: Thats the list about this year. Not about overall career or talent.Durant turned his franchise from 20 to 50 wins with only one solid player on his team!

even this year is dumb. And one solid player? Your a funny guy :rolleyes:

DaBUU
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Sam Smith = :facepalm: (Always)

This is the same guy who wrote Lebron is going to stay in Cleveland because in todays media market he can still be the biggest star in the world and he doesnt need NY. But I guess Denver is even a smaller market than Cleveland and Melo needs to go to NY.
As I said:
Sam Smith = :facepalm:

RadiantShot
04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Wade > KD sorry guys... I like KD and think he's top 5 but he's not touching Wade yet... Wade is a beast on both ends of the floor...Come on dude is 6'4 and leads SG's in blocked shots... Wade blocks 7 footers at his height like nothing..... Apparently nobody has been watching him as of late... Heat have won 8 in a row and are sitting at the 5th seed... Wade has had a couple of 40point games... not only points but tacking on more assists, steals, rebounds... He's been doing it all... Not too mention he doesn't have a supporting cast like Durant has... Yeah that team is young but they are LOADED with talent and compliment durant well

He's not touching Wade?

:facepalm:

Say no more.

JordansBulls
04-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah the allstar votes. But Melo is more popular because of the olympics.

soonabooma
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I like Wade alot, he's definitely one of my favorite players in the league, but I'm not buying all that "he doesn't have a good supporting cast" crap. That's just ridiculous. There is good talent in Miami. Maybe it was poor coaching, or maybe it was just poor team chemistry as a result of too many egos and laziness. But they've definitely come on strong lately and they're playing with more focus and a sense of urgency, so maybe they'll make a little noise in the playoffs.

But I think there's no question at this point....Durant has become a solid leader, we know his individual play still shines more than his team play, but he's definitely becoming a better team player and learning how to get his teammates involved. It usually takes a little while for a player of his caliber to really get to the point where they get recognized for their leadership/team play as much as their individual achievements. KD is really coming on strong and our team is looking good. For a team this young to make strides this fast is just unheard of. There are solid teams in the league right now that didn't even look half as good at this stage of their development. Things are going well, and the best part is....our players are not getting ahead of themselves, they're staying hungry and humble to the point of knowing they haven't done anything yet, it's all still a work in progress and they must continue to work to get better each day. We're after bigger and better things than just making the playoffs, and we're gonna strive to achieve those things the right way. There is alot of reason to be excited about what the future brings in OKC. ;)

mr_relevant
04-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd say they're pretty even right now, but if Melo decides to bolt for a big market team, his stock will soar through the roof.

Iceman778
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
dont get why you'd increase a 31 year olds contract by 2 million every year when his level of play will most likely decline not increase. He had to be extended though.

Nighthawk
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Duarant is better

But Durantula is the worst nick name ever