PDA

View Full Version : NY Knicks coach sees no future with McGrady

JordansBulls
04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Link (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/not_big_on_mac_qGbcJbQ7Fymv3am3RACuPN)

Though the final decision belongs to Knicks team president Donnie Walsh, coach Mike D'Antoni feels it would be prudent to move on without Tracy McGrady next season, according to team sources.

D'Antoni has seen McGrady labor for 21 games, averaging 8.5 points, 3.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists.

And last night McGrady, who said he experienced swelling in his left knee for the first time this season, was shut down by the medical staff at halftime after looking miserable -- 1-for-4, three points -- in the Knicks' 128-117 loss to the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena.

The team source said D'Antoni feels McGrady has too far to go in his comeback to be counted on next season as an important piece of a rotation the coach expects to be massively improved.

If the Knicks sign a wing player with a maximum contract, either LeBron James or Joe Johnson, re-signing McGrady as a rotation player, even at the $1.9 million veteran minimum's salary, seems highly doubtful because of his injury risk.

D'Antoni denied he has ruled out McGrady for next season, saying it is too early to predict next season's roster with too many unknown factors because of their massive amount of cap space. D'Antoni acknowledged McGrady is not a priority, however. When McGrady joined the club in February, D'Antoni expected him to be their best player.

D'Antoni and Walsh have not discussed the final evaluation of McGrady, and the Knicks president said McGrady is on their radar for 2010-2011 at the right price.

"Maybe he can't be the guy, but I think he can be one of the top guys on a team," Walsh said earlier this week. "At least by what he's saying, [he can accept it], and I believe what he's saying. The way he's come into the locker room, everything's been very good."

McGrady still carries himself like a superstar and talks like a superstar, telling The Post Wednesday he will be a "great player" again. By contrast, McGrady also has said he would love to remain a Knick if they sign two max guys and be a role player. "It takes a while to get back. I agree with them, and I don't have it now," McGrady said, referring to the skeptics. "That's why it's a great sign for me to know I will be back to being explosive, to being the type of player I was. I came back quicker than a lot of people expected. It's a great sign to where I was, to where I am now, to how my body feels and knee feels."

When asked if it sounds like he's putting lots of pressure on himself, McGrady said, "I'm not putting pressure on myself. I know I'll be there again. I'll be a great player. I'll be able to have an influence on a team, on a game."

The Knicks have given McGrady everything he wants -- a chance to audition for the NBA. They even allowed his personal bodyguard, Harveaire Berrien, to travel with the club and be in their locker room -- a privilege reserved for the game's elite.

Knucklz
04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Shocker, T-Mac is done.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-03-2010, 01:55 PM
like I said...he's done

29$JerZ
04-03-2010, 01:57 PM
He isn't done but expecting him to play more then 75% of a season is foolish. He is worth a cheap investment but nothing more.

GodsSon
04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
T-Mac should just disappear already

Giaps
04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
First of all, NBA fans need to get used to the name Marc Berman. He's the worst. He is the most negative of all NY reporters and most his stories have absolutely no quotes (LIKE THIS ONE).

I recommend JB to look at the source first. :)

Evolution23
04-03-2010, 02:17 PM
First of all, NBA fans need to get used to the name Marc Berman. He's the worst. He is the most negative of all NY reporters and most his stories have absolutely no quotes (LIKE THIS ONE).

This X2

td0tsfinest
04-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Damn this guy is only 30 years old but his career seems to hit a brick wall. Last year, it was AI, this year it's T-Mac, wonder who's going to be the next star to drop off.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Damn this guy is only 30 years old but his career seems to hit a brick wall. Last year, it was AI, this year it's T-Mac, wonder who's going to be the next star to drop off.

Arenas:shrug:

AirCanada15ORL
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Ya ik, it seems like he's 37 and should be retiring. Miss Tmac and AI.
Plz dont let the next star be VC. I think it'll be Shaq. I dont think he has any left after this year. Kobe, Kidd, Nash, VC and whomever else from that era seem to have some left.

Edit: I Take that back, It will be Pierce, book it

macc
04-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Brick wall? Where do you guys come up with this stuff. T Mac is injury prone I'll give you that, but that's what it is. He's injured. The guy came back early from injury so he can play a little bit this year, but what do you guys really expect from somone who "just" got done with micro fracture surgery?

Some of you PSD posters are sooo quick to jump on and off bandwagons. Just a few years ago you guys argued that T Mac was a top 5 player and now you guys say he's done. At the very old age of 30. Try this for once, let him heal. T Mac himself says his legs aren't there. Give him an offseason to recover from surgery. You know when you haven't had an offseason to condition yourself and then have surgery, you're not going to be in game shape right away, crazy idea I know. When he comes back next year, if he's still sucking THEN you can give the guy some crap. Until then, give him the benefit of the doubt.

sep11ie
04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
KG will go down even more next year too.

RocketsRule
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Brick wall? Where do you guys come up with this stuff. T Mac is injury prone I'll give you that, but that's what it is. He's injured. The guy came back early from injury so he can play a little bit this year, but what do you guys really expect from somone who "just" got done with micro fracture surgery?

Some of you PSD posters are sooo quick to jump on and off bandwagons. Just a few years ago you guys argued that T Mac was a top 5 player and now you guys say he's done. At the very old age of 30. Try this for once, let him heal. T Mac himself says his legs aren't there. Give him an offseason to recover from surgery. You know when you haven't had an offseason to condition yourself and then have surgery, you're not going to be in game shape right away, crazy idea I know. When he comes back next year, if he's still sucking THEN you can give the guy some crap. Until then, give him the benefit of the doubt.

How much time does he need? He shut it down November of 2008...

It's always the same case, wait next year I'll be 100% then. Quite frankly I've heard enough, he's done.

sep11ie
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Then he shoulda shut his mouth and not rush back into playing. The Rockets were doing the right thing in playing him only 7 minutes a game. Now his knee is sweeling up, still can't shoot, can't drive, can't dunk, he's done.

Hellcrooner
04-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Maybe the problem is expecting him to be the Man .

Similar things were said bout Grant HIll many years ago and yes he never has been restored to allstar level but he has been playing a good bunch of seasons as a very outstanding STARTEr .

macc
04-03-2010, 03:01 PM
How much time does he need? He shut it down November of 2008...

It's always the same case, wait next year I'll be 100% then. Quite frankly I've heard enough, he's done.

07-08 season he was averaging 22 5 6.

08-09 is when he was playing on that bad knee and he decided to shut it down that year and get surgery. On a bad knee he was still averaging 16ppg.

All I'm saying is at least see what he's capable of when healthy. That's it. If he doesn't got it then he doesn't got it but at least let him heal first.

I never realized what it was like until this year I broke my foot for the first time ever and that kept me out of b ball for 6 weeks, when I came back, the first couple months I didn't have that quickness off my first step like I did. A few months later I'm fine now, but it made me realize that it just takes time to get back to where you were. And a broken foot isn't anything like microfracture knee surgery.

If the guy was 33-35 yrs old I would prob be more in agreement but the guy is only 30. Hes not to old to be a great player. I went through it with Jameer Nelson on my team. He came back from injury, he wasn't playing good, people were talking about trading him and all that jazz, then he got back into game shape and shut everyone up. It takes time. I can't say that enough.

xxcubs22xx
04-03-2010, 03:02 PM
T-Mac is definitely done.

No matter what, the old T-Mac is gone. Sure if you work hard enough you can re-attain the conditioning to play, but being off the court too much makes "stars" vulnerable, in a sense because they lose their ability to grip the basketball game in the dominating fashion that they have used in the past during the "good" days. T-Mac is battling too much to give himself that opportunity

And i would definitely agree with the idea that the Knicks future should not have to include T-Mac or be centered around him, and he shouldn't be a priority.

McGrady still carries himself like a superstar and talks like a superstar, telling The Post Wednesday he will be a "great player" again. By contrast, McGrady also has said he would love to remain a Knick if they sign two max guys and be a role player. "It takes a while to get back. I agree with them, and I don't have it now," McGrady said, referring to the skeptics. "That's why it's a great sign for me to know I will be back to being explosive, to being the type of player I was. I came back quicker than a lot of people expected. It's a great sign to where I was, to where I am now, to how my body feels and knee feels."

When asked if it sounds like he's putting lots of pressure on himself, McGrady said, "I'm not putting pressure on myself. I know I'll be there again. I'll be a great player. I'll be able to have an influence on a team, on a game."

I disagree with McGrady. Sorry T-Mac, you're done. Its just too little too late now in my opinion. He may say his body is good and all of that and hes confident he'll be a great player again...No, not gonna happen, at least from an opportunity perspective

D1JM
04-03-2010, 03:06 PM
I think Mcgrady should really think about going to play with Starbury in China.

RocketsRule
04-03-2010, 03:14 PM
08-09 is when he was playing on that bad knee and he decided to shut it down that year and get surgery. On a bad knee he was still averaging 16ppg.

Yeah but he was shooting under 40% from the field and constantly made a fluid offense stagnant. The only reason he shut it down to begin with was because he heard a rumor of him being shipped of to NY for Vince Carter. Which, obviously, fell through as a result.

All I'm saying is at least see what he's capable of when healthy. That's it. If he doesn't got it then he doesn't got it but at least let him heal first.

My point is how long does he need to be healthy? He's had a year and half, including a FULL off-season to get himself healthy. At this point I'm highly doubtful he'll ever return to a respectable form.

I never realized what it was like until this year I broke my foot for the first time ever and that kept me out of b ball for 6 weeks, when I came back, the first couple months I didn't have that quickness off my first step like I did. A few months later I'm fine now, but it made me realize that it just takes time to get back to where you were. And a broken foot isn't anything like microfracture knee surgery.

It should not take McGrady 3x as long to get back to shape as it does to recover from a broken foot. Heck, he has not even showed any sign that he is progressing in any way. He continues to prove he regressing physically.

If the guy was 33-35 yrs old I would prob be more in agreement but the guy is only 30. Hes not to old to be a great player. I went through it with Jameer Nelson on my team. He came back from injury, he wasn't playing good, people were talking about trading him and all that jazz, then he got back into game shape and shut everyone up. It takes time. I can't say that enough.

The thing is, he has the wear and tear of a 35 year old. Playing since he got of high school for all those minutes seems like it has finally taken a toll on his body. Take Grant Hill for example, he missed numerous seasons due to injury (though he was able to SUCCESSFULLY recover) so even though he is 37 he only has the wear of a 31 or 32 year old.

And once again, McGrady's had a year and a half. If he has not made it back by now then I do not think he ever will.

sunnydayin'zona
04-03-2010, 03:39 PM

best. sig. ever

AirCanada15ORL
04-03-2010, 03:43 PM
07-08 season he was averaging 22 5 6.

I still don't like Jameer. But yeah give Tmac more time.

heatking
04-03-2010, 04:10 PM
KG is next.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-03-2010, 04:21 PM
KG is next.

KG is old McGrady isnt

sep11ie
04-03-2010, 04:21 PM
^already said that!

Chronz
04-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah but he was shooting under 40% from the field and constantly made a fluid offense stagnant. The only reason he shut it down to begin with was because he heard a rumor of him being shipped of to NY for Vince Carter. Which, obviously, fell through as a result.

My point is how long does he need to be healthy? He's had a year and half, including a FULL off-season to get himself healthy. At this point I'm highly doubtful he'll ever return to a respectable form.

It should not take McGrady 3x as long to get back to shape as it does to recover from a broken foot. Heck, he has not even showed any sign that he is progressing in any way. He continues to prove he regressing physically.

The thing is, he has the wear and tear of a 35 year old. Playing since he got of high school for all those minutes seems like it has finally taken a toll on his body. Take Grant Hill for example, he missed numerous seasons due to injury (though he was able to SUCCESSFULLY recover) so even though he is 37 he only has the wear of a 31 or 32 year old.

And once again, McGrady's had a year and a half. If he has not made it back by now then I do not think he ever will.
Quick points. ur wrong.

he needs more than a year to recover from mf. he got the surgery cuz he needed it and oh yeah ur wrong

ldc62
04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Glad Houston got rid of him. All this talk about wanting to play and hes not even completely healthy... Unless he goes for the minimum, Knicks should not re-sign him.

Trouble87
04-03-2010, 04:28 PM
T-Mac still has something left in the tank but it's not enough for a Knicks team that intends on being a contender next year. I could be wrong but I don't think he can play heavy minutes in a run & gun system.

NYYankeesWin#27
04-03-2010, 04:30 PM
dantoni wants amare

J-Relo
04-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Maybe the problem is expecting him to be the Man .

Similar things were said bout Grant HIll many years ago and yes he never has been restored to allstar level but he has been playing a good bunch of seasons as a very outstanding STARTEr .

HILL > TMAC

as a person: HILL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TMAC

RaptorizedKevin
04-03-2010, 04:47 PM
lol he is done. and lol at the people who thought he was back when he played one solid game.

90sbest
04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't think T-Mac is done, he just won't be the player he was. He's over 30 and comming off knee surgury. He still will be able to average almost 20 a game next year. Perfect #2 scorer on a team with a solid #1.

Rego247
04-03-2010, 05:08 PM
i just don't understand why he'd hire the psycho killer from no country for old men to be his bodyguard? :facepalm:

RocketsRule
04-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Quick points. ur wrong.

he needs more than a year to recover from mf. he got the surgery cuz he needed it and oh yeah ur wrong

I love your insightful response. "ur wrong"? :laugh2:

Amare took about a year to heal, so why would T-Mac be any different? Add the fact that it seems like he has not improved at ALL as the season has progressed. Actually, you can make the case that he has even regressed even more.

And maybe he did get surgery because he needed it, but he did not handle that situation the right way, telling ESPN before telling his own team.

And do not say that I am "a bitter Rockets fan" I worshiped McGrady and wished him the best in NY. But it seems like this injury is too much to shake off.

Chronz
04-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I love your insightful response. "ur wrong"? :laugh2:

Amare took about a year to heal, so why would T-Mac be any different? Add the fact that it seems like he has not improved at ALL as the season has progressed. Actually, you can make the case that he has even regressed even more.

And maybe he did get surgery because he needed it, but he did not handle that situation the right way, telling ESPN before telling his own team.

And do not say that I am "a bitter Rockets fan" I worshiped McGrady and wished him the best in NY. But it seems like this injury is too much to shake off.

sorry bro i dnt got the ability to do my usual lengthy response. but its true u exagerate ur claims. amare had takenn longer than that and he was younger. tmac has barely had a year.