PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin goes Crazy over Prank

shep33
04-02-2010, 10:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5051607

still1ballin
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
On a night when the Denver Nuggets should have been celebrating a much-needed victory over the Portland Trail Blazers, the franchise continued to struggle with off-the-court issues when an April Fools' Day joke sparked anything but laughter.

During Denver's 109-92 victory, a former Nuggets ball boy, Laquan Johnson, got into the club's locker room, took Kenyon Martin's car keys and filled the player's Range Rover with buttered popcorn. The car had a white interior.

Martin
Martin discovered the damage as he was about to exit Denver's Pepsi Center. At the time, he had no idea who had pulled the prank. Angered, he went back to the locker room spewing profanities and threats at teammates and other members of the organization.

"That ain't no [expletive] joke," Martin said. "I'm going to find out who did it ... put my [expletive] hands on one of y'all. I'm going to put my hands on whoever did it. You better believe that. It's [expletive] personal. You better believe it."

Martin, who has missed 15 games with a torn patella tendon in his left knee, threatened to boycott the postseason if he did not find out who was responsible.

"How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it," Martin said more than once.

Martin stormed in and out of the locker room several times, and a person close to him said his anger was not over the prank, but over the fact that someone could go into his pocket and take his keys during a game. Realizing the culprit had to have access to the private code for the team's gated parking lot, he assumed members of the organization either pulled the stunt or assisted in it.

"The fact that no one saw it or had anything to say about it -- not security, not the equipment manager," a person close to Martin said, explaining the player's anger. "Somebody had to see it. He was wondering how the organization let something like that happen. What if the kid had really wanted to do something evil?"

Later, Martin found out Johnson, the former ball boy who is now the driver for teammate J.R. Smith, was responsible. Johnson apologized to Martin and agreed to pay for the damage to his car.

"It was just an April Fools joke that went horribly wrong," said a member of the Nuggets organization who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "The kid thought it would be funny and it wasn't. Kenyon was back at practice today and everything was fine between him and his teammates."

The episode was the latest in a string of distractions Denver has had to deal with lately. Once regarded as the Western Conference's top challenger to the Los Angeles Lakers, the Nuggets have all but fallen apart down the stretch.

With Martin out and coach George Karl missing games while getting treatment for throat cancer, Denver had lost five of six games before defeating Portland. That stretch dropped them from the second seed to the fifth seed in the West.

Martin, who cannot guarantee he'll be healthy for the playoffs, said before Thursday's game that he hopes to return for the last regular season game or two.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Holy **** what a baby

still1ballin
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Ahahahha

Ragun
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
:pity: kenyon martin. if I was his teammate, i would be pissed.

td0tsfinest
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Man this is the most common prank in the nba. I know Jrich did it to POB and the Kings did it to Donte Green.

avrpatsfan
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
:pity: kenyon martin. if I was his teammate, i would be pissed.

Why? Some jerk put buttered popcorn in his range rover and completely ruined his interior. I would be pissed if my 40 k + car got ruined. He did act like an *** and overreacted but what that guy did wasn't funny.

Weed&Football
04-02-2010, 10:18 PM
he has every right to be pissed.. thats not a good prank thats just disrespectful! even if i was rich and someone did that to me id b ripp ****.. yeah he can afford to get it fixed but why waste money

IU Hoosiers 3
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
id be pissed for like 10 mins if i had his money..then realize im in the nba..sayin stuff like that to ur teammates tho..not right

Raps18-19 Champ
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
What a waste of popcorn.

Ragun
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Why? Some jerk put buttered popcorn in his range rover and completely ruined his interior. I would be pissed if my 40 k + car got ruined. He did act like an *** and overreacted but what that guy did wasn't funny.

well it says he wasnt pissed about the prank but he was pissed that someone was able to get the keys from the locker.

"How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it," Martin said more than once.

thats just :pity:

Shady66
04-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Id be freakin pissed too

Trouble87
04-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I personally don't like pranks that destroy or slightly damage my personal property but it was April 1st! You got to expect dumb **** like that, K-Mart more than overreacted.

The fact that he would threaten not to play in the playoffs shows how petty Martin is.

Lil' things like this bring the true a**hole outta folks

Qdawg
04-02-2010, 10:48 PM
He makes 15 mil a year, surely he can afford to get his car cleaned.

Jahari Kavi
04-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I'd be mad as well...although I probably wouldn't storm in and confront the entire team.........appears to be all good now though

foofighter97
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
There is fault on both sides. For Martin to threaten to not play in the playoff's would offend me as a teammate and he would lose my trust. As the guy making the joke, why buttered popcorn? Fill his car with packaging peanuts or something not buttered popcorn

ldc62
04-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I would be mad for like 10 minutes... but "not play in the playoffs" is ****ing stupid. You get paid if you play in the playoffs and I'm sure thats enough to recover all damages...

Popcorn is old... how bout tomato sauce or something.

Ray_R
04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
why cant he be like anyone else and just tbag the guy who pranked him.

Sadds The Gr8
04-02-2010, 11:04 PM
There is fault on both sides. For Martin to threaten to not play in the playoff's would offend me as a teammate and he would lose my trust. As the guy making the joke, why buttered popcorn? Fill his car with packaging peanuts or something not buttered popcorn

this.

arkanian215
04-02-2010, 11:06 PM
I would be mad if someone took my keys. But I love buttered popcorn. I think it would've made my day. Except getting home would be a pain in the ***.

Wisdom Listens
04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
What kind of moron puts buttered popcorn in a vehicle with a white interior? He deserves whatever he gets for that.

Rangers510
04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Holy **** what a baby

That would have prolly cost him $20,000 to fix i would be mad as hell also

Nikeman
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Its not about the money, its the fact someone could break into K-marts belongings and snag his keys.

Sometimes its more about principle than money, I would be mad as hell too.

Draco
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
He makes way too much money playing a game for a living to be that upset about popcorn in his car.. wow, what a little *****.

clutchski
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I'd be pissed for sure..but he overreacted.

Mr.Chi-Town
04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
what kind of moron puts buttered popcorn in a vehicle with a white interior? He deserves whatever he gets for that.

x2

King P
04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
He makes 15 mil a year, surely he can afford to get his car cleaned.
:facepalm:
That's not the point! Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to like it when people ruin your stuff. I bet you'd be pissed off if someone came up to you and dumped a bunch of ink all over your shirt even though you could afford another one. It's not the about the money, it's the principle of the whole thing.

EdGein812
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
This douche has to get over himself. How dare somebody do such a thing, TO HIM, Kenyon Martin. THE Kenyon Martin. Such a prima donna ******. I hate "tough guys" that feel they have to go to such lengths to embellish their egos. He thinks he's being a badass when in reality he's acting like a prissy little ***** who got his feelings hurt.

How much would it cost to have it cleaned? Not a big deal. I highly doubt the interior needs to be totally replaced. He got so upset, not because it was buttered popcorn, but because the joke was on him.

Comes across to me as big, rich, spoiled baby.

EdGein812
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
And that goes for anyone sticking up for him too. Grow the **** up. Have a sense of humor and show a little humility.

If it actually did damage, the kid will pay for it. I hate people sometimes.

0nekhmer
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
i'm surprised the thuggets haven't killed each other yet. Threatening your own team?! come on dude even if you were mad, at least find out who to be mad at before going nuts

DodgerBulls
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Did someone picked up that the ball boy will pay for the damage?????

If he solely pay for the damages , then damn, can I be a ball boy at least for the Clippers?

kblo247
04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
He had every right to be pissed. It is still his car and his property, not any other persons to **** with, without his consent. But to go in his locker and steal his keys is just idiotic and an invasion of his privacy and trust. The fool who did that deserved to have his *** beat.

Yeah, K-Mart took it to far by threatening to sit the playoffs, but he had every right to be upset as they violated his trust.

GSW Hoops
04-03-2010, 12:11 AM

Range Rovers cost a lot more than 40k.

krest213
04-03-2010, 12:25 AM
prank Failed.

*Superman*
04-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow, he made the ball boy pay for it. ****ed up on both sides.

Dumb kid should be smarter then to mess with Martin. haha.

thedfactor
04-03-2010, 12:37 AM
It would suck to have "buttered" popcorn filled inside a white interior Range Rover, but like stated, he's in the NBA with loads of money to either fix the damage or get a new one. Crazy how he went off about how he would not play in the playoffs, not cool to say.

shep33
04-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Its on both of them. first off i don't know how your suppose to even clean butter off your dash, navigation system, steering wheel etc, haha that sucks. Funny but maybe not right to use buttered popcorn.

Kmart's reaction was terrible though, you don't call out your teammates like that, and then threaten them both physically and with the notion of not supporting the team.

DodgerBulls
04-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Range Rovers cost a lot more than 40k.

he said 40k + CAR

myfavmartin28
04-03-2010, 01:21 AM
God I hate April fools day. When I realized it was April fools when i got into work this year I was not happy. Over the past 10 years without fail someone has told me that one of my teams pulled off a big move on April fools day. I go along for a good part of the day thinking its true and then finally realize its the first of April again. LAME tradition, and i'm a Kenyon Martin fan, so lame prank too.

$KnicksAndKobe$
04-03-2010, 01:39 AM
It was a poor joke to do, buttered .. really?

BUT, kmon now ... your a millionaire and you threatened the team and organization not to play? Hello ... your MAKING MILLIONS and have no right to make that kind of threat. I am fine with getting angry and yelling at people because he has the right to be pissed but threatening like that was wrong.

mvb815
04-03-2010, 01:59 AM
someone with as little roll as "jr smiths driver" shouldn't be playing property damaging pranks on people

Bones10564
04-03-2010, 02:17 AM
He got so upset, not because it was buttered popcorn, but because the joke was on him.
I don't believe the guy just pulled the prank on Kenton out of nowhere...
Meaning - I'm sure Kenyon has possible pulled stunts as well. So o.k. your interior got damaged (& you have every right to get upset) but to take it to the extreme (fight the entire organization) seem overboard. It seems as though certain players, who have everything in the world to be thankful for lose all their humility when they sign their million dollar contracts. He had to know it was just a prank. Give a "O.K. you got me", then let them know its not cool & you have to pay to get it fixed. It most likely would have loosened the team up & broke the tension that their team has to be in after losing so many games recently...

Sadds The Gr8
04-03-2010, 02:26 AM
And that goes for anyone sticking up for him too. Grow the **** up. Have a sense of humor and show a little humility.

If it actually did damage, the kid will pay for it. I hate people sometimes.

It damaged the interior of the car:eyebrow:....did u read the whole story?

And I know you would be pissed off if someone f'd up the interior of your car with FOOD.

EdGein812
04-03-2010, 03:42 AM
I don't believe the guy just pulled the prank on Kenton out of nowhere...
Meaning - I'm sure Kenyon has possible pulled stunts as well. So o.k. your interior got damaged (& you have every right to get upset) but to take it to the extreme (fight the entire organization) seem overboard. It seems as though certain players, who have everything in the world to be thankful for lose all their humility when they sign their million dollar contracts. He had to know it was just a prank. Give a "O.K. you got me", then let them know its not cool & you have to pay to get it fixed. It most likely would have loosened the team up & broke the tension that their team has to be in after losing so many games recently...

What does that have to do with anything I said? I don't think you quite understood what I was saying...

LeBroom
04-03-2010, 03:49 AM
He's a thug. No surprise there.

EdGein812
04-03-2010, 04:03 AM
It damaged the interior of the car:eyebrow:....did u read the whole story?

And I know you would be pissed off if someone f'd up the interior of your car with FOOD.

I did. It said he noticed the damage as he was driving off. It also said he wasn't upset over the fact that someone put popcorn in his car but that he was upset that someone crossed a line by going into his pockets and getting his keys and getting through security and so forth.

He's obnoxious. He's a ***** that wants to try and act a thug. He's far from a thug. He's a rich spoiled brat. Girl got his feelings hurt and had a temper tantrum.

It's a damn joke. The kid or whomever put the kid up to it would obviously pay for it. He made a lot of noise for nothing. The guys ego got hurt is all.

Bones10564
04-03-2010, 04:18 AM
What does that have to do with anything I said? I don't think you quite understood what I was saying...
No, I agree with what you are saying in your post...
I just added the fact that he basically should've handled it differently...
Instead of getting upset because the joke was on him...

heathonater
04-03-2010, 04:36 AM
i would be pissed off if my 80,000 dollar car was ruined because of an easter fule prank. no matter how much money you make, if someone ruins your nice vehicle you have somewhat a right to be po'd.

EdGein812
04-03-2010, 05:12 AM
No, I agree with what you are saying in your post...
I just added the fact that he basically should've handled it differently...
Instead of getting upset because the joke was on him...

Ah.:p

_KB24_
04-03-2010, 05:24 AM
I'd be pissed as well. I never really liked the whole popcorn-car prank. I'm surprised that their aren't more blowups like this from Kenyon. I mean, you are ruining a luxuruy car, nothing small. I LOL'd when it said white interior, the car is basically ruined now.

But Kenyon, being the tough guy he is ;) , had to create a big scene...

EdGein812
04-03-2010, 05:27 AM
i would be pissed off if my 80,000 dollar car was ruined because of an easter fule prank. no matter how much money you make, if someone ruins your nice vehicle you have somewhat a right to be po'd.

They never said it was ruined. They didn't say it "was" damaged. The story said when he noticed "the" damage, which could've been anything. I highly doubt it would have cost more than a few hundred bucks for a professional cleaning, if that. Regardless, they obviously would've paid the bill.

Wasn't the nicest thing in world but his reaction of quitting the team was a little dramatic. He's a notorious cry baby. This isn't the first time this ***** has acted like this.

SirCalvin81
04-03-2010, 06:21 AM
thats ****ed up u dnt **** with a guys possessions

SirCalvin81
04-03-2010, 06:57 AM

MaHaRaJaH
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Holy **** what a baby

Some people treasure their cars more than they do their lives, it's only natural to act like so.

clehmun
04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
i hate people who can't take jokes. man up it's april fools. I'd be upset, then figure out a way to prank the guy back.
A few less technical fouls, would pay for the car cleaning bill.
you guys realize that a land rover to him is like a nice pair of jeans to us. just shut up and take it to the dry cleaners.

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 11:57 AM
He threatened his teammates with violence? If I were one of his teammates I'd threaten him for stealing $30+ Million from the Nuggets franchise until next season.

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Some people treasure their cars more than they do their lives, it's only natural to act like so.

Its just the interior, when you have as much money as a guy like Martin has. You wouldn't even have to have the interior cleaned, but you can purchase a new interior.

sep11ie
04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd be pretty pissed too.

dtmagnet
04-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't like it either but to talk to your teammates like that is just not cool.

Raph12
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
He apparently got pissed because of the principle behind it (someone having access to his keys without him knowing), but calling his response an overreaction is an understatement.

He's making millions a year, he needs to relax himself, maybe take up yoga or something.

ElFuturoDeESPN
04-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah I probably wouldn't be happy either, but that worthless POS can pay for it!!

Maybe if he didn't worry so much about what his next tattoo will look like he could have just had the interior detailed and went about his way..

yanks19791024
04-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Little biznitch punk Martin is, homeboy you got millions in the bank get over it

Fireworld
04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I like K-Mart. But he did overreact a bit.

reffahead
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
People have no concept about principle.

Let's say you make 50k a year and someone punctured a couple tires on your car and some dipchit says april fools.
It cost only 20 bucks to repair and you shouldn't be furious right...
It only takes a few minutes to fix and you should laugh it off right? gtfoh

I would make that little slime from the sea of pus pay for every penny from the dealership.

MaHaRaJaH
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Its just the interior, when you have as much money as a guy like Martin has. You wouldn't even have to have the interior cleaned, but you can purchase a new interior.

Of course. But when people treasure materialistic things more than their own soul, another man tarnishing it crosses a different boundary altogether.

MaHaRaJaH
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
People have no concept about principle.

Let's say you make 50k a year and someone punctured a couple tires on your car and some dipchit says april fools.
It cost only 20 bucks to repair and you shouldn't be furious right...
It only takes a few minutes to fix and you should laugh it off right? gtfoh

I would make that little slime from the sea of pus pay for every penny from the dealership.

That's the problem when people think money should solve everything.

Go_NUGGETS
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
The ones who are overreacting, are YOU ALL.....Yall look for anything to bash on a player....Who f'n cares!!!??????

Sox Appeal
04-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Why wouldn't they use white popcorn? Or those packaging pretzels the Suns pranked Shaq with. I mean, putting buttered popcorn in a car that (I'm guessing) is worth upward of 100 grand? That's not ****ing cool. Not saying I agree with K-Mart flipping out, but I can certainly see where he's coming from.

Sox Appeal
04-03-2010, 08:47 PM
i would be pissed off if my 80,000 dollar car was ruined because of an easter fule prank. No matter how much money you make, if someone ruins your nice vehicle you have somewhat a right to be po'd.

+1

EdGein812
04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
He's one of these guys that are always worried about acting hard. He'd roll into a high school school gripping the wheel and posing, while staring down little kids. The guy's a ******.