PDA

View Full Version : Ncaa AP Player of the Year/NBA Mvp...

majmarcus
04-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I gotta admit. I've been wondering for some time. Why is it that "P.O.Y" is selected based on actual raw talent & performance? Where as in the Pros, it's about the "Best Player on the best team"! I do not like that. It makes no sense to me. In my personal op...Steve Nash gettin it 2yrs str8 was rubbish! Kobe only havin 1(up to this point)is crap! The inconsistencies goes on. Any who, I've always been a Ky fan. So I'm not really a follower of Buckeye basketball. But I've seen enough of Evan Turner to support his award of POY. John Wall is cool, but nah...gimme Evan Turner! It seems to me that(For the most part),the NCAA's are pretty consistent in awarding POY to the most deserving player. Now I'm not sayin they get it right every time. But not going by win/loss records, popularity, or tournament advancement...etc is IMO the way to go. God knows who's gonna get the MVP this yr and in all honesty, I really don't care. I just wanna see the NBA change whatever criteria they go by when awarding the Over Hyped suppose to be "Covenant" but is really tainted MVP award!!!!!

LoL...am I makin sense? Am I the only one who see things this way?

TheRazorboy
04-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Am I the only one who see things this way?

I'm sure there are plenty of other drunk people who agree 100%.

majmarcus
04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
LoL...ok, Thanx Bruh! I'm glad you cleared that up for me

Rego247
04-02-2010, 09:11 PM
i believe he deserved it 2 yrs in a row, jus wondering which year u think he shoulda won it?

Agar81
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I completely agree with you on the way they pick MVPs. It's more of a popularity contest. The Most Valuable Player should go to the most important player to his team in the league. I consider it like if this team didn't have this single player, they wouldn't be able to succeed at the way they do it.

Dwade deserved it last year, they wouldn't have won if they didn't have him, its plain and simple. The Cavs and Lakers could still win without Lebron or Kobe, they have great talent on their team and they have already proven that they can when their stars get injured. The NBA always gives it to a guy like this though, the guy who is the most popular.

This year it deserves to go to Kevin Durant. Sure, the Thunder still have some talent in guys like Westbrook, Green and Harden, but he means the most to his team and they wouldn't do nearly as well. Not to mention, he is averaging 30 points.

ATX
04-02-2010, 09:30 PM
The NBA MVP is just like the NCAA Heisman trophy. Best player on the best team.

majmarcus
04-02-2010, 11:06 PM
i believe he deserved it 2 yrs in a row, jus wondering which year u think he shoulda won it?

Now if you're sayin Kobe should've won it 2yrs in a row. Then Personally, I think Kobe should've had 3 mvp's total by now. I think Kobe should've won Mvp in 2005-06 & 2006-07. When u look at the talent Nash had around him and the talent that had yet to develop around Kobe. Nash was playin wit friggin all stars! 1st round service or not! Kobe had clearly(Imo) proved himself those yrs as the Mvp. I mean he was sharing a back court with Sqush Parker for cryin out loud! Did I answer ur question fam?

Raps18-19 Champ
04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I completely agree with you on the way they pick MVPs. It's more of a popularity contest. The Most Valuable Player should go to the most important player to his team in the league. I consider it like if this team didn't have this single player, they wouldn't be able to succeed at the way they do it.

Dwade deserved it last year, they wouldn't have won if they didn't have him, its plain and simple. The Cavs and Lakers could still win without Lebron or Kobe, they have great talent on their team and they have already proven that they can when their stars get injured. The NBA always gives it to a guy like this though, the guy who is the most popular.

This year it deserves to go to Kevin Durant. Sure, the Thunder still have some talent in guys like Westbrook, Green and Harden, but he means the most to his team and they wouldn't do nearly as well. Not to mention, he is averaging 30 points.

Really?

Take Lebron off the Cavs and they are really horrible. Their best player would be Mo Williams.

Hell I would think the Nets right now would be better than the Cavs last year if you took out Lebron.

majmarcus
04-02-2010, 11:15 PM

U make a great point and I agree 100%

Rego247
04-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Now if you're sayin Kobe should've won it 2yrs in a row. Then Personally, I think Kobe should've had 3 mvp's total by now. I think Kobe should've won Mvp in 2005-06 & 2006-07. When u look at the talent Nash had around him and the talent that had yet to develop around Kobe. Nash was playin wit friggin all stars! 1st round service or not! Kobe had clearly(Imo) proved himself those yrs as the Mvp. I mean he was sharing a back court with Sqush Parker for cryin out loud! Did I answer ur question fam?

yup, just wanted to see it from your perspective is all, its debatable much like anything in the nba. If u have to make the argument then, I think kobe one year nash the next year, if u had to. Its been traditionally, handed down to the best player on the team with the best record. In the case of kobe, he did more with a lot less true. but in nash's case, those guys are all stars cuz of steve nash, amare, marion. has marion been playing at the level he was in phoenix, did he make the allstar team yet after he left from phoenix? I think steve has the propensity to make people around him better, i cant penalize him for that, thats what great players do, kobe does it aswell, but not to the extent that steve does. (Not to state kobe doesnt make his teamates better, but its not his assigned role on the team, its easier for pgs, cuz thats whats expected of them, guy like kobe can just take over the game, doesnt need to pass as much).
on a sidenote what are your opinions on dirk nowitski when he won the mvp? just curious

J-Relo
04-03-2010, 12:19 PM

1. How was Nash more popular than Kobe?
2. How could you say that Nash wasn't the most important player? Suns would have done nothing close to what they did with him.
3. Dwade deserved it. Lebron deserved it more. Cavs without Lebron?...
4. With the issues Cavs faced this season (injuries, etc.) i don't see them being able to do as good as you make out. Lebron is most valuable to the best team in the league. Not to mention his stat line is arguably best.
5. Durant is worth more respect than he gets. I agree at this point. Thunder are doing well. Not the best in the West, but a nice playoff team.

majmarcus
04-03-2010, 03:02 PM
yup, just wanted to see it from your perspective is all, its debatable much like anything in the nba. If u have to make the argument then, I think kobe one year nash the next year, if u had to. Its been traditionally, handed down to the best player on the team with the best record. In the case of kobe, he did more with a lot less true. but in nash's case, those guys are all stars cuz of steve nash, amare, marion. has marion been playing at the level he was in phoenix, did he make the allstar team yet after he left from phoenix? I think steve has the propensity to make people around him better, i cant penalize him for that, thats what great players do, kobe does it aswell, but not to the extent that steve does. (Not to state kobe doesnt make his teamates better, but its not his assigned role on the team, its easier for pgs, cuz thats whats expected of them, guy like kobe can just take over the game, doesnt need to pass as much).
on a sidenote what are your opinions on dirk nowitski when he won the mvp? just curious

Honestly, while I had a problem with Nash gettin mvp 2yrs str8. I'm more willing to concede Dirk's award(Even tho Kobe was more deserving IMO). Dirk did have a helluva year that season! If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the yr The Warriors bounced them in the 1st round? Regardless of the fact, I believe Dirk was very deserving of the award that season. The reason I say Kobe still should've gotten it...maybe edged him out. Is because it goes back to what each player had around them. I forget what the series count was when both teams got beat in the 1st round. I know the Lakers lost 4-1 but unsure if the Mavs lost 4-1 or 4-2! Dirk had better talent around him. People expected Dallas to be contenders that yr. While the Lakers were barely picked to make into post season. But Kobe was still head and shoulders above EVERYONE as an all around player! U take Kobe off that team...I seriously doubt they make it in. If by some freak accident, they do. They don't even get the one win they had against Phx because that series is over in 3! Am I wrong?

ManRam
04-03-2010, 03:07 PM
So players should get rewarded for being on bad teams, and punished for having good supporting casts in the MVP voting?

I think that's a terrible way to decide an award.

Also, the Cavs without LeBron last year are a bottom 2-5 team. Just sayin'.

B.JenningsMVP
04-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Kobe should've won MVP 05-06 Season :)

Raps18-19 Champ
04-03-2010, 03:33 PM
So players should get rewarded for being on bad teams, and punished for having good supporting casts in the MVP voting?

I think that's a terrible way to decide an award.

Also, the Cavs without LeBron last year are a bottom 2-5 team. Just sayin'.

Exactly.

I mean the Nets right now would be better than the Cavs last year without Lebron.