PDA

View Full Version : How accurate do you expect an NBA Ref to be?

twoearl
04-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I see many times people gripe about officials, this missed call or that bad call but how correct do you expect them to be? I hope we all know Refs are NOT perfect and WILL NEVER be. But I agree that they should be more right than wrong. My question is what percent (%) do you expect a ref to be? Personally I would say anything at 85% or better is great.

kblo247
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
75%

They aren't perfect but it would be nice for them to get 3 out of every 4 calls right

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Joey Crafword=50%

he is so bad

he fouls players and even wanted to fight with duncan:facepalm:

ManRam
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
As accurately as humanly possible. If I had to guess a number, I'd wish they'd be right at least 70-75% of the time. Nothing bothers me more than players complaining (about everything) and especially fans. We get the luxury of watching everything multiple times, in slow motion, from any angle really. Refs get the luxury of seeing it once, in real time, often from ****** angles. You can only expect so much. Bad calls are part of the game, and nothing bothers me more when that's all fans complain about.

It seems a loss is never the team's fault in most fanbases' eyes. It's always the refs. Watch the playoff threads, they get out of hand with the ref bashing.

td0tsfinest
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I'd just like them to be consistent. But 75 to 80, sounds about right.

KB24PG16
04-02-2010, 07:14 PM
as accurate as humanly possibly.

VladTheImpaler
04-02-2010, 07:17 PM
After reading some excerpts from Donaghy's book, I think a lot of the *****ing about reffing is justified. I'm not sure how accurate I can expect them to be, but it's certainly a hell of a lot more accurate than they currently are.

PurpleJesus
04-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I was going to say 99% with my bases being that they are professionals, but then I realized i dont expect players to shoot 99% from the field. I would say right now, they get about 4/5 calls rights, and I think it should be 9/10

IRUAM #21
04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Perfect, they can't make mistakes. If not, replace them with Robots.

D-Will4Prez
04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
better than they are currently doing

heathonater
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
just as long as they dont give star players preferential treatment and are consistent with the way they call the game.

iggypop123
04-03-2010, 12:20 AM
i dont care if you make mistakes, just do them equally. dont let a team play defense like its a defensive struggle and then the other team cant breathe without getting a foul call.

Snake
04-03-2010, 12:33 AM
as close to 100% as humanely possible

Mavrix
04-03-2010, 12:42 AM
90%

clutchski
04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
I expect them to be pretty damn good.

I hate Joey Crawford.

Qdawg
04-03-2010, 01:43 AM
I just don't see the problem with reviewing calls, the refs need to admit they can't get everything right and do what's best for the game.

Covert
04-03-2010, 02:47 AM
I think the best refs are the most consistent ones. I hate it when they give star players a call just because they are stars. Other than fouls which are subjective though, I think they could get Out of Bounds, Shot Clock, Backcourt, 3 sec., etc. 95% of the time.

ldc62
04-03-2010, 04:08 AM
Better than they are doing now...

The biggest BS: A player gets hacked (not an all star), the game is close and the ball looks like its going in. But the ball rims out and then they call a foul. If it went in, Im sure they woulda just let it go. I hate those late calls the most; just call a foul if its a foul.

Bones10564
04-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Just be consistent:
If its a foul on this end, call it on the other end...
If its a foul in the 1st half, call it in the 2nd half...
If its a foul in this game, call it in the next game...

But I'm also tired of players whining after every possession about a missed call...

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Nobody is perfect, but that said, i make seatbelts for a living personally, and I get a LOT less than an NBA official, and if I make a mistake at work, somebody's safety is in danger, so if you can expect a guy like me, who makes 18 bucks an hour to be perfect 8 hours a day for 5-6 days a week, then these officials should be held to a very high standard considering the size of the pay checks they get.

Now, because nobody is perfect there needs to be mistake proofings, like you would find in any assembly process. One such mistake proofing is allowing officials to review a play they arent sure about, or any plays where the shot clock/end of quarter is happening where its not possible for officials to watcht he clock and a player at the same time. I like those rules, but at the same time, why are they allowed to review plays at the end of the game, but not in the middle of it? It seems every play impacts what is happening on the court, so why does the league act like only the final plays are the ones that are important? A one point game in the foruth could be a 12 point romping if officials had called things differently.

The way I see it, there are three officials on the court at all time, anytime there is a call where one officials does not agree with another, there should be a replay allowed. Teams should be given three replay calls a game, and one that reverses a call doesnt count one used. That would make the system work ten times better.

Without changes, I expect mistakes to happen, but there are two things that should never happen. Bias and inconsistencies.

I expect officials too be 100% unbiased all the time. If all the mistakes an official is making goes the way of one team, and that official does that for that team often, then that would indicate a bias to me. If the official essentially makes three or four bad calls a night and they are split evenly between the opposing teams, I dont see a problem with that.

In terms of consistency, I mean, don't call one guy for a foul on one end of the court for a certain type of play, and not call it for another guy at the other end for the exact same type of play. If a players yells "what" to an official after a call and gets a "T", then when another player on the other team does the same thing later in the game, he should also get a "T". I've seen this happen time and time again, and I'm not going to bait anybody by mentioning specifics (thought a dozen easily come to mind), but seriously, just because one guy sells more jerseys than another or has a higher scoring average, doesnt mean he's allowed to get away with stuff while a player who works hard coming off the bench or is trying to earn minutes get hammered for the same things.

You all smoke what i'm rolling?

_KB24_
04-03-2010, 05:27 AM
80-90%. This is what they get paid to do, you should be as accurate as you can.