PDA

View Full Version : Why the Jazz should be taken seriously by Hollinger

Chronz
04-02-2010, 04:29 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-100402

1. Carlos Boozer is back
2. Paul Millsap and Boozer are both healthy at the same time
3. Andrei Kirilenko is re-engaged
4. Wes Matthews finally gives them an on-ball defender
Superficially, Utah's standing in defensive efficiency hasn't changed much (they're 10th now after finishing 12th last season). But relative to the league, they've gained about 1.2 points per game … which is worth about four wins over the course of a season. Matthews has been a big part of that change.

Sum it all up and this year's Jazz look a lot more potent than the team that limped into the playoffs as the No. 8 seed last year. Their small market and disappointing recent history have made it hard for them to get into the national spotlight, but if this isn't a serious contender then I don't know what is. Our inability to take the Jazz seriously is on us, not them.

Just posted the bullet points, where do you guys rank the Jazz?

Lakersfan2483
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
If we are talking top contenders in the entire NBA, I have them behind the Lakers, Magic, Cavs, Nuggets, Hawks, and Mavs.

RaptorizedKevin
04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
If we are talking top contenders in the entire NBA, I have them behind the Lakers, Magic, Cavs, Nuggets, Hawks, and Mavs.

behind hawks? the jazz are alot better than the hawks. the hawks are in the east. easier confrence.

thephoenixson28
04-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I think people should be more worried about phoenix. The hottest team since the all star break. With a healthy lopez we are going to make some noise out west. That's funny remember everyone was saying they should be lucky to make it to the playoffs as being a 8th. People laughed at me cuz I said they would be a top 5 team, who is laughing now.

ShockerArt
04-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I hadn't thought of Utah as a serious contender, but those points are valid. At the very least, they're another tough out in that clusterf**k that is the Western Conference. I would worry about them in the 4th quarters of close games if they're playing the Lakers, Nuggets or Mavs. Who is going to step up for the Jazz and trade blows with Kobe, Melo, or Dirk? I would include Durant, but I'm not sure that OKC can beat a top team in a series yet.

Ranking the West is tough. The two original favorites were L.A. and Denver. Both of them are struggling now, and the Lakers have injury issues. Phoenix and Utah are hot right now. Dallas added some pieces and they should be a contender if Dirk stays healthy. I would rank the West playoff teams (tentatively):

1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Utah
4. Dallas
5. Phoenix
6. Spurs
7. OKC
8. Portland

Jumba
04-02-2010, 05:54 PM
When D.Will is hot, and the opposing team can't get a quick or strong enough defender on him. The game is in his hands.

When Boozer is hot, (which he has been) his post moves and will to get the ball in the basket in tough to beat (aside from size being his weakness)

When Memo, Korver, Miles and Matthews all lock in, either at the same time or just one at a time on their 3 point shot. There isn't a deadlier team out there.

And with a bench that in some lower tier teams, be starters: Price, Miles, Korver, Milsap, Fez, Gaines... That makes for a serious contender.

Oh, and Jerry Sloan...

The test is tonight. I'm hoping for the best.

GodsSon
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
behind hawks? the jazz are alot better than the hawks. the hawks are in the east. easier confrence.

Agreed...I'd put the Jazz over ATL

Edit: I'd put them over Denver too

MrFastBreak
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Lakers
Cavs
Magic
Nuggets
Jazz

D-Will4Prez
04-02-2010, 06:45 PM

We have more wins in a much harder conference/division.

Denver has been struggling a lot without George Karl and Kenyon Martin but I still have the Jazz above them as well...and I've got Mavs and Jazz at even right now, Mavs have been very hot lately.

heathonater
04-02-2010, 06:51 PM
i really think that the mavs, nuggets, and jazz are so evenly matched that i could see any series between these teams going 7. phoenix has been playing great ball as well, but i dont think anyone out west will beat the lakers right now. they still got home court advantage, and they are a much better home team than road team this year.

JNA17
04-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I'll rank the jazz as i always ranked them every year, first or 2nd round knockouts. John Hollinger always ranked the jazz ahead of every west team for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

mamba24
04-02-2010, 07:21 PM
reason why the jazz should not be taken seriously: hollinger... dude is an idiot...

td0tsfinest
04-02-2010, 07:24 PM
The Jazz are a really good team and they have been playing some really good ball of late. I think they're in a 3 way tie for 2nd best in the west.