PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Resign Kobe to a Three-Year Contract

Fool
04-02-2010, 04:09 PM
EL SEGUNDO The Los Angeles Lakers have signed guard Kobe Bryant to a three-year contract extension, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

"We are extremely pleased that we were able to reach an agreement and come to terms on the extension at this time," said Kupchak. "Kobe has been a cornerstone of the Lakers for well over a decade, helping to lead us to four NBA Championships and in the process developing into one of the greatest players in basketball history."

"Two of our main goals heading into this season were to sign Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol to contract extensions," continued Kupchak. "With the signing of Pau earlier this season and the signing of Kobe today, we were able to accomplish those goals, helping to keep the core of this team intact for the foreseeable future and in turn help to ensure the franchise's continued success over the years to come."

Bryant, a four-time NBA Champion, has earned numerous accolades over the span of his 13-year career most recently being named the 2009 NBA Finals MVP. In 2008, the 12-time NBA All-Star earned the NBA Most Valuable Player Award. In that same year Bryant helped lead the United States to a gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Bryant has earned All-NBA honors in each of the last 11 seasons and has been named to the NBA's All-Defensive Team nine times.

In Bryant's 13 seasons with the Lakers they have appeared in postseason play in all but one season (2004-05), and have reached the NBA Finals six times, winning championships in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2009. The 6'6" guard scored a career-high 81 points (55 in the 2nd half) on January 22, 2006, the second highest game and half totals in NBA history.

Originally acquired by the Lakers from the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for Vlade Divac on July 11, 1996 after being selected by the Hornets with the 13th overall pick in the 1996 NBA Draft, Bryant is the youngest player in NBA history to score 25,000 points. Earlier this season Bryant moved past Jerry West to become the Lakers all-time leading scorer and currently ranks 12th on the NBA's all-time scoring list.

In 70 games this season, Bryant is averaging 27.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.1 assists in 38.8 minutes.

Link (http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/100402_kobe_extension.html)

jkiddvc20
04-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice

Chronz
04-02-2010, 04:18 PM
How much?

Iodine
04-02-2010, 04:23 PM
How much?

it doesnt matter if its 2 million or 20 million per year, a contract is a contract!
:p

GSW Hoops
04-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I thought Kobe was going to New York with LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Joe Johnson and Amare? :)

king4day
04-02-2010, 04:25 PM
How much?

Kobe Bryant(notes) has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Lakers on a three-year extension that could be worth more than $90 million.

Bryant has had the contract sitting on the table throughout the season and finally reached agreement in the last 24 hours, sources say. He could have opted out of his current deal this summer and become part of the NBA’s historic free-agent class, but will now likely finish his career with the Lakers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-kobeextension040210

Lakersfan2483
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Great news for Laker fans.

masalex1205
04-02-2010, 04:29 PM
it doesnt matter if its 2 million or 20 million per year, a contract is a contract!
:p

Wack statement, tell that to Jerry Buss

Ragun
04-02-2010, 04:31 PM
damn. 90 mill. so he will be the highest paid player in history?

DCB/LAL
04-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Wack statement, tell that to Jerry Buss

Actually to Jerry Buss it didn't matter if it was 2 or 20 million he was paying regardless so he's right. :D

king4day
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
damn. 90 mill. so he will be the highest paid player in history?

I'm pretty sure Jordan, in his final Bulls season, had a 1 year 36 mil deal. Maybe Bulls fans could confirm.

Guess the Lakers are prepared to be in the Tax for a long time.

JordansBulls
How the hell can he get signed in April?

Isn't the deadline before the season starts?

kblo247
Funny that Kobe got the same extension Buss told Shaq to **** off behind, but it really isn't surprising since their was an article in Forbes years ago (Smush/Kwame) that Kobe had made Buss more money than any other Laker had.

Tie what he makes Buss into with his work ethic and willingness to seek to improve and you get the deal.

I also think that this means Phil is coming back as Kobe already said Phil would play a part in his decision.

kblo247
04-02-2010, 04:36 PM

No. It is for cats on rookie deals but not for vets.

JermanJaysFan
04-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Unsure, but if that is the case, I am sure there is no reason they can't "agree to a deal".

kblo247
04-02-2010, 04:49 PM
What this deal also means is that the Knicks are Lebron or bust this offeseason so they better get ready to court him like no other

still1ballin
04-02-2010, 04:53 PM
good news

GSW Hoops
04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
What this deal also means is that the Knicks are Lebron or bust this offeseason so they better get ready to court him like no other

Did anyone seriously believe Kobe would leave L.A.?

McPeak92
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Kobe and Lakers go together like PB+J.

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Buono!

Now we just need to try and get that repeat...and shake up the roster next season, if we fall short.

kblo247
04-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Did anyone seriously believe Kobe would leave L.A.?

Not really but at least they could have justified not getting Lebron by trying to court Kobe. It at least makes for better PR than saying we've sucked for nothing and will have to settle for players not worthy of the max like Amare, Boozer, Bosh, or Joe Johnson.

Hawkeye15
04-02-2010, 05:09 PM
congrats to Kobe and the Lakers, as well as their fans. He belongs in LA

AI4MVP
04-02-2010, 05:09 PM
too much money

Hustla23
04-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Damn... over 30 million a year ? .... WTF ?

:speechless:

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2010, 05:22 PM
too much money

I'm sure Dr. Buss would love to pay less and get the same kind of results. :)

But given the kind of money thrown around in sports, nothing surprises me any more. I thought when Jordan was making $33mm+/yr back in the day THAT was too much to pay someone to play basketball. It won't be long before you'll see players earning $40mm -$50mm a season. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if LeBron or Durant see that kind of money in their lifetime.

kblo247
04-02-2010, 05:25 PM
People have to remember Kobe could lose most of the 27mil from next year if there is a lockout so they probably thought about that in the extension

The Final Boss
04-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Was there ever any doubt? He isn't a clown like Lebron...Straight cash homie!

RocketsRule
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM
$30 million a year? Kobe's great, but damn that's a lot of $$$.

The team will probably be in salary chaos for the next few years, with Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant taking up nearly their whole salary cap.

kblo247
04-02-2010, 05:38 PM
$30 million a year? Kobe's great, but damn that's a lot of $$$.

The team will probably be in salary chaos for the next few years, with Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant taking up nearly their whole salary cap.

Simple question:
Do you believe Kobe will make and has made Buss more back than what he pays him?

That is all Buss likely had to ask himself

RocketsRule
04-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Simple question:
Do you believe Kobe will make and has made Buss more back than what he pays him?

That is all Buss likely had to ask himself

Oh don't get me wrong, there is no doubt that he deserves this. My point is that they will be financially tied for at least the next 3 or 4 years as they have TONS of money invested in Bynum, Bryant, and Gasol.

MaHaRaJaH
04-02-2010, 05:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-kobeextension040210
Does he retire at contract's end?

thapharcyd
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Pau Gasol+Kobe = Salary Cap in 2 years, lol.. Lakers are gonna be paying tons of luxury tax

GSW Hoops
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm sure Dr. Buss would love to pay less and get the same kind of results. :)

But given the kind of money thrown around in sports, nothing surprises me any more. I thought when Jordan was making $33mm+/yr back in the day THAT was too much to pay someone to play basketball. It won't be long before you'll see players earning $40mm -$50mm a season. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if LeBron or Durant see that kind of money in their lifetime.

Throw in earnings from endorsement deals and they're making that much now :)

heathonater
04-02-2010, 06:11 PM
good signing by the lakers. kobe belongs in a laker uniform and should end his great career as a laker.

kblo247
04-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, there is no doubt that he deserves this. My point is that they will be financially tied for at least the next 3 or 4 years as they have TONS of money invested in Bynum, Bryant, and Gasol.

Yeah and Odom and Ron are there as well as Luke depending on how his arthritis of the spine is.

Thing is that Kobe when he gets to the end of the deal would have done nothing no other Laker has done. Play all those years in that uniform and likely take less barring some unfortunate injury.

Buss probably looks at Kobe, Pau, Ron, and LO expiring at the same time and all taking less with Drew developing and likes his chances to bring in a new guy to take the reigns with them still contributing.

It is proven that Buss doesn't just look at the here and now when you look at how he went after Kobe, Shaq, Horry, Fisher, and Fox all at once to go with Elden, Van Exel, and Jones.

Who that guy maybe is unknown. It could be Mayo or Durant wanting to step onto a bigger stage. It could be Melo or Paul. It could also be a guy who they see something special in coming into the league.

It is more of a wait and see, but I think LA is much different from Boston in the fact Buss just won't and has never waited for long periods of time post one era to make another one and Jeanie promises to do the same.

JNA17
04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
yay :D

IRUAM #21
04-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Pau Gasol+Kobe = Salary Cap in 2 years, lol.. Lakers are gonna be paying tons of luxury tax

I doubt they care about that, they'll gladly pay it since they'll be contenders for a while

momoneyyyy
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
what else can u expect the man is a beast.

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Throw in earnings from endorsement deals and they're making that much now :)

I was looking at strictly NBA salary. With endorsements and side deals, a superstar can easily get upwards of 70M or more in no time at all. If LeBron actually has another successful movie, he can earn hundreds of millions before the summer is over. The earning potential is just astounding.

KB24PG16
04-02-2010, 07:13 PM
i wonder what lebron will ask for after this contract probably like 40 or mil a year sucks for cleveland

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Damn there goes my Kobe to the Knicks early termination pipe dream.

I'm gonna read into this a little further...Maybe Kobe wants to put pressure on Lebron to re-sign with his current team. He knows Lebron and the Cavs prob aren'tget any better and don't have the cap flexibility next season with the stupid signing of Antawn Jamison to really improve.

Instead of coming to NY and forming Voltron with another Max player, and Mello the following year, thus ending any chance of a laker dynasty. MMMMPH!!! There it is!

hope u have a sense of humor.

_KB24_
04-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I love being a Lakers fan! :clap:

We will always have one of the best on our team no matter what!

td0tsfinest
04-02-2010, 07:30 PM
No one show this to Spike Lee, its going to break his heart.

NetsPaint
04-02-2010, 07:52 PM
*Waits For The Summer Of 2013*

majmarcus
04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah and Odom and Ron are there as well as Luke depending on how his arthritis of the spine is.

Thing is that Kobe when he gets to the end of the deal would have done nothing no other Laker has done. Play all those years in that uniform and likely take less barring some unfortunate injury.

Buss probably looks at Kobe, Pau, Ron, and LO expiring at the same time and all taking less with Drew developing and likes his chances to bring in a new guy to take the reigns with them still contributing.

It is proven that Buss doesn't just look at the here and now when you look at how he went after Kobe, Shaq, Horry, Fisher, and Fox all at once to go with Elden, Van Exel, and Jones.

Who that guy maybe is unknown. It could be Mayo or Durant wanting to step onto a bigger stage. It could be Melo or Paul. It could also be a guy who they see something special in coming into the league.

It is more of a wait and see, but I think LA is much different from Boston in the fact Buss just won't and has never waited for long periods of time post one era to make another one and Jeanie promises to do the same.

Dude, if it's not one of the guys you mentioned. I hope it's Evan Turner or Demar Derozan. While Derozan hasn't had much of an opportunity, I think he can be a very productive player. But I love Evan Turner's game....That young fella's got skills fam!!!!

bigsams50
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
30 Mill a year is rediculous.

Lakers4ItAll
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
well worth every penny

IversonIsKrazy
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
$90m for 3 years is too much to pay someone to play basketball. I thought it would be 3yrs/$66m - $75m. $30/yr is far too much, hopefully it is reduced, but obviously Kobe is a priority for the lakers, but still $30m/yr, u can prolly fetch LeBron + Role Player for that! lol.

ManningToTyree
04-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I guess Phil is back too

FlakeyFool
04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
30 mill a year is ********