PDA

View Full Version : NBA's top markets

mikantsass
04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
What do you think the NBA's top 10 markets are? I think we can all agree that NY, Bos, LA, Chi, Dal are probably the top 5, but it gets a little cloudy after that....

BOSTON617
04-02-2010, 01:01 PM
What do you think the NBA's top 10 markets are? I think we can all agree that NY, Bos, LA, Chi, Dal are probably the top 5, but it gets a little cloudy after that....

dal
la
ny
chi
boston

close thread

Mr. Net32
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Goldenstate(Oakland), Dallas and Dc are in the Top ten, but there's also a top 10 television markets which complicates the answer.

TheDetroitBlue
04-02-2010, 01:07 PM
If were talking value it goes like this, according to Forbes

New York
Los Angeles Lakers
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_NBA-Team-Valuations_Value.html

fairandbalanced
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
L.A teams, Florida teams and Texas teams.

DaBUU
04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Houston is a top market IMO

GodsSon
04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
T.O. is top 10 without a doubt

thescore53
04-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Toronto

Hellcrooner
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Knicks

Lakers

Bulls

CLipps

Celtics

Rockets

HEat

Mavs

RAPTORS

Magic

Raptors should even become top 4 if not for American media Bias to canada teams

tredigs
04-02-2010, 02:15 PM
If were talking value it goes like this, according to Forbes

New York
Los Angeles Lakers
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_NBA-Team-Valuations_Value.html

That's not the same as what a market is, that's just what Forbes predicts the franchise could be sold for if it were put up on the open market. That's why small-market Cleveland is able to be so high on the list (before Lebron it was among the bottom, and will probably drop dramatically if he leaves).

Turns out their list doesn't hold much water anyway, though. Because Golden State is listed at 335 million, while by all accounts it's going to take at least 450 mil to buy the team (I've heard as high as 500). The SF Bay Area is another big market, and the team has a built in fan base even in losing seasons, which is making projected buyers salivate, and allowing the price to drive up more than 100mil north of what Forbes guessed that it would be worth.

The top ten NBA markets are the same as the top ten US markets (oh, and you too Toronto). It's the biggest cities and their immediate metro areas

1. New York is by far the biggest
2. L.A.
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philly
6. Houston
7. DC
8. Atlanta
9. Boston - Detroit - Phoenix - SF Bay Area

I'm not sure what Toronto's market size is, only that their population is about 2.5 million, which puts them about 2 million short of the market size of Boston / Detroit / Phoenix / Bay Area. But their market is probably much larger. Though they're absolutely hurt as a franchise by not being in the US.

Anyway, that's your answer bud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

thescore53
04-02-2010, 02:21 PM
That's not the same as what a market is, that's just what Forbes predicts the franchise could be sold for if it were put up on the open market. That's why small-market Cleveland is able to be so high on the list (before Lebron it was among the bottom, and will probably drop dramatically if he leaves).

Turns out their list doesn't hold much water anyway, though. Because Golden State is listed at 335 million, while by all accounts it's going to take at least 450 mil to buy the team (I've heard as high as 500). The SF Bay Area is another big market, and the team has a built in fan base even in losing seasons, which is making projected buyers salivate, and allowing the price to drive up more than 100mil north of what Forbes guessed that it would be worth.

The top ten NBA markets are the same as the top ten US markets (oh, and you too Toronto). It's the biggest cities and their immediate metro areas

1. New York is by far the biggest
2. L.A.
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philly
6. Houston
7. DC
8. Atlanta
9. Boston - Detroit - Phoenix - SF Bay Area

I'm not sure what Toronto's market size is, only that their population is about 2.5 million, which puts them about 2 million short of the market size of Boston / Detroit / Phoenix / Bay Area. But their market is probably much larger. Though they're absolutely hurt as a franchise by not being in the US.

Anyway, that's your answer bud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

the greater toronto area has a population of 5.5 million

tredigs
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
the greater toronto area has a population of 5.5 million

Ah alright thanks, then Toronto would be considered a top ten market. Around the size of the Miami, DC, or Atlanta's markets (all ~5.5 mil).

Another thing I'd add is that there isn't one NBA market that doesn't have enough size to support a sold out stadium night after night if the team is a winner / marketed well. With the exception of possibly Memphis... they are a small market, and just don't seem to care. But the Thunder, for example have the smallest NBA market (about 1/10th the size of L.A.'s), and are still top ten in attendance. I'd expect that to grow next year being that they're shaping up to be a repeat playoff team and possible conference contender very soon.

sep11ie
04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't think this can be an opinion...

RaptorizedKevin
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
definatly toronto.

G-Funk
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Lakers
Celtics
Knicks
Spurs
Bulls
Mavs

their isn't any after these 6

NYK_kidd77
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Its really sad the knicks have been so bad for so long.