PDA

View Full Version : Is the Blazer's future even that bright anymore?

Qdawg
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
People used to always talk about how the Blazers had this amazing future, how they'd win multiple titles. But now, with Greg Oden proving he can't stay on the floor, Lamarcus Aldridge regressing a bit after getting his extension, all of their cap room wasted on Andre Miller, and the other young guys getting hurt left and right, have the Blazers maxed out? Are they no more than a low seeded playoff team every year? I mean the West is just loaded, The Lakers should be on top for a few more years, OKC is on the rise and should be the favorite in the future, all the other good young teams (Memphis, Sacramento, LAC, Golden State, Minny) continuing to progress, and the playoff stalwarts like Dallas, Utah, Denver and with a healthy CP3, New Orleans. I just can't see them ever coming out of the west with the roster they currently have, thoughts?

jimbobjarree
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
people overated the Blazers so badly last year when they profited through the injury problems of almost every other Western team

heathonater
04-02-2010, 12:09 AM
the big wild card in the blazers future is greg oden. it all depends on how healthy and good he gets. the blazers can go deep in the playoffs with a good to great oden, but if he never stays healthy or doesnt develop, then they would need a trade or fa pick up to move up as an elite team in the league.

znick21
04-02-2010, 12:09 AM
i still like the blazers roster more than okc's :shrug:

Raph12
04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
If Oden can bounce back healthy, Aldridge can "bust out" (pun intended) and Roy can dominate (27+ppg-5+rpg-5+apg), I could see them challenging/beating some of the upper tier teams out West.

heatking
04-02-2010, 12:20 AM
It all depends in Greg Oden. You know what your getting with aldridge 17-7, with roy you have a 20-5-5 that can close out games with the best of them, and their young squad just keeps getting better and better.

Look for the kid from arizona to come out big. Hes as good as any other young point guard out there. He just has not got the play time, or the freedom other players get.

With a lineup of

Bayless/miller
roy/fernandez
webster/batum
aldridge/
oden/prizibilla

You can easily contend with that lineup, the key factor here is if oden can stay HEALTHY.

MacFitz92
04-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Probably who knows. They have really been unfortunante though.

Avenged
04-02-2010, 12:57 AM
If they didn't have all the injuries they have, they have potential to be top 3 team out west IMO. Definitely give the Lakers a run for their money.

jmtapia
04-02-2010, 01:03 AM
blazers have a great squad but need another star player.

MattColby
04-02-2010, 01:16 AM
If they didn't have all the injuries they have, they have potential to be top 3 team out west IMO. Definitely give the Lakers a run for their money.

This.

The Blazers are a pretty killer team. I think they could be dangerous come playoff time.

Draco
04-02-2010, 01:21 AM
It's a lot harder to go from promising upstart to contender than a lot of people think. Still.. I think the Blazers have the same potential that people thought they had a year ago.. they have a lot of injuries this year, it happens. On the same note.. I wouldn't be surprised if OKC doesn't win a championship as soon as the next couple of years. The growth of a team usually doesn't pan out that way.

Jahari Kavi
04-02-2010, 01:27 AM
it would be if they had kevin durant....

Sadds The Gr8
04-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Depends on Oden...If he can actually play some full seasons and be a GOOD then yes they can contend...but if he stays injury prone for the rest of his career, then I see them just being a lower seeded west team that loses in the playoffs every year.

ldc62
04-02-2010, 06:05 AM
I like the Thunder's roster better (post guy away from completely dominating). Portland players are soo overvalued by their organization which makes it hard for them to ever make some risky trades that could put them over the top. They are still going to be a playoff team for years to come, but they need Oden to be healthy and LA to dominate.

Ty Fast
04-02-2010, 07:55 AM
they should be ok. the thing about the nba is if you are willing to spend you will have a good team. the blazers have money, but now they just have to spend it wisely

JasonJohnHorn
04-02-2010, 08:39 AM
This Portland team is competing in a tough western conference while plagued with injury. They have several young guys who havent reached their ceiling yet, some front court studs, some long range shooters, a clutch shooter/franchise player with a team mentality, so I have to think these guys have great potential. They arent there yet, but they can get there with this core if things progress well for them, but there have been many teams with GREAT potential that implode. The Hornets with Mourning and Larry Johnson, and the Magic with Penny, Shaq, Grant, Anderson and Scott are two that come to mind, but there are countless teams who see injury, personal issue and trades bring that potential to a halt. Just consider how long Boston's Bird dynasty would have lasted if the Celtics hadnt tragically lost to potential HOFers in Len Bias and Reggie Lewis?

They are fun to watch and have the potential to make some noise this year and improve in the future.

FarOutIos
04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
i still like the blazers roster more than okc's :shrug:

You're speaking purely of it's current value, correct?... because there is no way you can like the Portland roster more then OKC's long term.

Durant is clearly the best player on either team. Westbrook is a stud PG, who already might be better than Andre Miller. Green is solid. Harden is solid. Sefolosha is solid. Krstic is progressing into a solid player. Ibaka has potential to be a stud. Maynor and Mullens are young and could step in soon.

This team is loaded with young talent. Maybe TOO much young talent. They would be a perfect trading partner for Toronto to try and get Bosh. Even now, they are loaded and will definitely be a contender in a couple of years.

CostanzaNumba0
04-02-2010, 10:23 AM
^^^OKC needs some veteran leadership, agree on the bosh scenario

jackdawson
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Gerg Oden is the key. Blazers need him more than anything else to become a serious contender.

0nekhmer
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Would you blazers be willing to trade Lamarcus for Turkoglu?

blackjack_119
04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Would you blazers be willing to trade Lamarcus for Turkoglu?

Not a chance in hell.

blackjack_119
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
The Blazers are now unbelievably underrated. They are a playoff team in a season where Juwan Howard was their starting Center for 26 games. Look at the injuries that this team has amassed this season:
Starting Center (Oden): Out for the Season
Backup Center (Przybilla): Out for the Season
Starting SF (Batum): Missed first Half of the Season
Backup SF/Sixth Man (Outlaw): Only played 11 games
Starting SG/Best Player (Roy): Missed 15 games
Backup SG/Seventh Man (Fernandez): Missed 20 games

In a season where the team has missed a total of 300 games due to injury (mostly amongst 3 starters and the top 3 bench players) this team is still going to the playoffs and is 4 games out of 2nd place.

If they had had a healthy season, they would be the #2 team in the Western Conference. If the team had either Oden or Przybilla for that 26 game stretch where "Father Time" was their starting center, they would have the second best record in the Western Conference.