PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal Picks White Sox to Win the Series

whitesoxfan83
04-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Here is my vision for the end of the 2010 season:

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and general manager Ken Williams knocking FOXís Chris Rose to the ground while wrestling for the World Series trophy.

Ozzieís youngest son, Oney, ripping Williams in a tweet delivered straight from the victory podium.

Ozzieís oldest son, Ozzie Jr., pouring champagne on his girlfriend and fellow reality TV star, Kim Kardashian.

Thatís right, Iím picking Team Wacko to win the World Series.

Ridiculous? Perhaps. But so is the notion of trying to predict the actual Series champ seven months in advance.

Spare me those computer simulations with their ďdeadly accurateĒ forecasts of exactly how many games each team will win.

Tell me which players will get hurt. Tell me which teams will provide the best replacements. Tell me which moves will be made in the July and August trading periods.

Tell me all that, and I will tell you which team will win the 2010 Series ó or, at least, give you a reasonably good guess.

Predictions are fun, but remember last year when Sports Illustrated picked the Mets to win the World Series?

The choice was bold, but not outrageous. Then the Mets turned into a walking commercial for the Hospital for Special Surgery, with half their players hobbling around on crutches or with their arms in slings.

Those knuckleheads at SI, how come they failed to anticipate all that?

Allow me to share my philosophy for this column, which my ruthless, unrelenting bosses demand, without fail, on the eve of every season:

* Never pick the Yankees.

* Almost never pick the Red Sox.

* Try to approach the column seriously, assessing each teamís strengths and weaknesses. But then, at the precise moment my head is about to explode, go off the board.

Hence, the White Sox.

Last year, I had the Rays beating the Phillies. Not crazy. Also not correct.

A few years back, I had the Cubs ending their quiet little championship drought. Definitely crazy. Definitely incorrect.

This season, the Yankees and Phillies look like the two best teams on paper. I can easily foresee a World Series rematch if the Series started, like, tomorrow. But a 162-game regular season and two playoff rounds will come first.

The trick to identifying a potential champion is not simply picking the most talented outfit. The winner will need financial flexibility to add payroll, a strong farm system to deliver both quality depth and trade fodder and, last but not least, luck.

The White Sox, at the very least, will be a better team than most people think.

Their pitching, starting and relief, could be astonishingly good. They will score enough runs only if center fielder Alex Rios and right fielder Carlos Quentin produce monster seasons, and thatís a lot to ask. But the Twinsí loss of closer Joe Nathan created an opening, and if the Sox reach the postseason, a rotation of Peavy, Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd and John Danks could evoke memories of their title run in í05.

The White Sox probably are not as flush with cash as they were last season, when they obtained two pricey players, right-hander Jake Peavy and center fielder Alex Rios, within a two-week period. Their farm system, too, is not as deep as those of some other clubs, but when Williams needs a piece, he usually gets it.

Of course, Team Wacko annually leads the league in volatility, and the potential for controversy is even greater this season. Guillen, Williams and owner Jerry Reinsdorf will be the stars of a reality show on the MLB Network. Little good can come of such an endeavor, at least from a baseball perspective.

The beauty of the game is that virtually every contender can be viewed through the same cynical prism. Bear with me now as I harp on the weaknesses of every club that dares threatens my anointed champions.

* The Yankees largely avoided injuries with an older roster last season, and Iím not sure they can do it again.
* The Red Sox will excel at run prevention and reinforce their offense if necessary. But letís see right-handers John Lackey and Josh Beckett both produce 30-plus starts.
* The Raysí starting pitching is not at the level of the two AL East super-powers, their bullpen will miss setup left-hander J.P. Howell early and their budget already is shot ó not good.
* The Twins? No Nathan and no dominant starter for the postseason unless left-hander Francisco Liriano turns back into Francisco Liriano.
* The Tigers? The back of their rotation is a major question, and they are too old in some spots, too young in others.
* Iíve said my piece about the over-hyped Mariners. Iím forever skeptical of the Rangers. The Angels, as usual, are legit, but their lack of elite starting pitching would be an issue in the postseason.

Now to the inferior league

* The Phillies already are worried about their pitching depth, though my guess is they will re-sign Pedro Martinez, who unfortunately cannot both start and relieve.
* I love the Braves, but worry about the age/injury factor with closer Billy Wagner, setup man Takashi Saito and third baseman Chipper Jones.
* The Marlins will hit, but their rotation beyond Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco is a crapshoot. The Brewers are similar, though their pitching is stronger overall.
* Talk to me about the Cardinals, and Iíll bet you that at least one of their core players ó most likely right-hander Chris Carpenter, maybe first baseman Albert Pujols ó will miss significant time.
* The Cubs? Good luck to Lou managing that bullpen.
* In the N.L. West, the suddenly trendy Rockies possess enough young talent to patch any weakness. My only question is whether they can handle expectations, something they did not do well in í08 coming off their only World Series appearance.
* As for the Divorce Court Dodgers, manager Joe Torre has spoken openly about the teamí lack of a No. 1 starter, and owner Frank McCourt refused to add payroll in midseason even when he was, ahem, happily married.
* The Giantsí pitching is terrific, but Iím sorry, first baseman Aubrey Huff and super-utility man Mark DeRosa will not make enough of a difference offensively.

OK, that about does it.

The White Sox are my only team left standing, though itís always possible that Ozzie and Kenny will end up rolling in the mud.

Hold off on your Internet snark, your vicious blogs and those ever-cheerful comments that appear at the bottom of my columns.

The best part is, you can play the exact same process-of-elimination game that I just did, substituting your favorite team as champion.

Itís baseball. Itís unpredictable. And it will consume us all for the next seven months.

Enjoy the season, everyone.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rosenthal-picks-Chicago-White-Sox-to-win-World-Series-033110

WSU Tony
04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
And Olney says the Twins have the best offense in baseball.....

IRUAM #21
04-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Fail

yankeefan54
04-01-2010, 08:28 PM
And Olney says the Twins have the best offense in baseball.....

lol top 5-6 but not better than the yanks and phils or mabe even the rays

IU Hoosiers 3
04-01-2010, 08:39 PM
ehh good for him..doubt it

Bulldog76
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm a bias sox fan... but here's what I see

AL Central...
Royals...not ready to contend yet, but improved. Will beat the tigers and twins a handful of times this season and thereby keep the division a bit hot and cold in terms of teams being able to make three and four game runs...

Indians...BAD...not much in terms of pitching...and even less at the plate. Grady Sizemore will be on the block before the season is over and could land on the Rays, Braves or Mariners...

Tigers...Won't be as bad as some think. Verlander is a stud, but Porcello is a year away. Their offense plays in a cold weather big ballpark and lacks defense/speed and will have fewer people at their games than ever before...

Twins / Piranhas ... Gone is the turf and that slap and judy hitting top and bottom of the lineup exposes the middle of the order a bit (mainly Cuddyer)... I think they are a good team but their pitching isn't there and without Nathan they will struggle to close games...

Sox...Solid 1-4 starting pitchers. Buehrle eats 200 innings every season and will save the bullpen from the #3 or #4 spot in the rotation and benefit from facing other teams weaker starters where we may score more runs to support him. Danks is showing the promise that made him one of the top prospects in all of baseball and could contend for 18 wins... Peavy is healthy and as capable of dominating every start...Floyd is another quality starter who can fall out of bed and get 13 wins... The bullpen has Thornton and Jenks who will likely close by committee at stretches...Santos, Pena and Putz should be reliable in middle relief and as secondary set-up men...With 3 of the starting pitchers logging 200 innings the bullpen won't be taxed during the early parts of the season and therefore should hold up for the season... Offensively, the combination of Beckham and Ramirez is getting overlooked by many. Beckham is a solid contact hitter and if Juan Pierre can hit and run the bases like he did last season in LA they will have the ability to move runners, and keep pitchers from coming out of the wind-up...giving an advantage to the second tier bats like Rios / Teahan and Konerko... Quentin missed a lot of time last year, but is a solid power hitter and should clean up the bases in front of him... Pierzynski is a solid defensive catcher (can't throw but calls a good game and blocks the plate well) and hits for a decent average from the left side... Kotsay and Andruw Jones are question marks, but with teams like Pittsburgh being consistant sellers at the deadline and Kenny not being afraid of sending prospects out of town to contend today is a strong possibility of getting a surge towards the end of the season. ..

The Yankees, Red Sox and Angels/Mariners are all talented teams, but in the playoffs, I like the Sox starting pitchers in a series where manufacturing runs and solid pitching can close out series in a hurry...

Again, it's a prediction...a bold one...that I happen to buy into..

pf289
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I didnt realize Jake Peavy was going to pitch 5 days in a row and bat cleanup...

IU Hoosiers 3
04-01-2010, 08:56 PM
not gunna quote that cause it's too big but i respect ur opinion bulldog..im being a bias yanks and AL east fan now and saying i just dont think any teams have what it takes to beat out the yanks or sox..but thats just my opinion before the season starts..i think it should be a fun year though with a lot of new teams challenging for playoff spots

JDIsMyGod23
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I didnt realize Jake Peavy was going to pitch 5 days in a row and bat cleanup...

You're an uber bad baseball fan if you didn't realize the most obvious thing ever.

FarmioFan1
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
This is just like that time Peter King picked the Bears to win the Super Bowl last season.

bagwell368
04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I have the White Sox winning the division, but I have Seattle as being roughly equal to them and the Red Sox and Yanks being both better, so even getting to the WS is asking a lot.

Reasonable dark horse choice I suppose.

Cash
04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
If the Sox can grab Adrian Gonzalez, i can see it.

dnl123
04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow what a surprise that most people are picking against the Twins, oh wait this happens at the beginning of every season.

VenezuelanMet
04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
What's so crazy about it? The Central is pretty much unpredictable and that rotation could easily repeat what the 2005 rotation did on the postseason

Badluck33
04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Is Adrian Peterson still available????

macc
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
As a fellow White Sox fan. I approve this message.

cwilson21
04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm a bias sox fan... but here's what I see

AL Central...
Royals...not ready to contend yet, but improved. Will beat the tigers and twins a handful of times this season and thereby keep the division a bit hot and cold in terms of teams being able to make three and four game runs...

Indians...BAD...not much in terms of pitching...and even less at the plate. Grady Sizemore will be on the block before the season is over and could land on the Rays, Braves or Mariners...

Tigers...Won't be as bad as some think. Verlander is a stud, but Porcello is a year away. Their offense plays in a cold weather big ballpark and lacks defense/speed and will have fewer people at their games than ever before...

Twins / Piranhas ... Gone is the turf and that slap and judy hitting top and bottom of the lineup exposes the middle of the order a bit (mainly Cuddyer)... I think they are a good team but their pitching isn't there and without Nathan they will struggle to close games...

Sox...Solid 1-4 starting pitchers. Buehrle eats 200 innings every season and will save the bullpen from the #3 or #4 spot in the rotation and benefit from facing other teams weaker starters where we may score more runs to support him. Danks is showing the promise that made him one of the top prospects in all of baseball and could contend for 18 wins... Peavy is healthy and as capable of dominating every start...Floyd is another quality starter who can fall out of bed and get 13 wins... The bullpen has Thornton and Jenks who will likely close by committee at stretches...Santos, Pena and Putz should be reliable in middle relief and as secondary set-up men...With 3 of the starting pitchers logging 200 innings the bullpen won't be taxed during the early parts of the season and therefore should hold up for the season... Offensively, the combination of Beckham and Ramirez is getting overlooked by many. Beckham is a solid contact hitter and if Juan Pierre can hit and run the bases like he did last season in LA they will have the ability to move runners, and keep pitchers from coming out of the wind-up...giving an advantage to the second tier bats like Rios / Teahan and Konerko... Quentin missed a lot of time last year, but is a solid power hitter and should clean up the bases in front of him... Pierzynski is a solid defensive catcher (can't throw but calls a good game and blocks the plate well) and hits for a decent average from the left side... Kotsay and Andruw Jones are question marks, but with teams like Pittsburgh being consistant sellers at the deadline and Kenny not being afraid of sending prospects out of town to contend today is a strong possibility of getting a surge towards the end of the season. ..

The Yankees, Red Sox and Angels/Mariners are all talented teams, but in the playoffs, I like the Sox starting pitchers in a series where manufacturing runs and solid pitching can close out series in a hurry...

Again, it's a prediction...a bold one...that I happen to buy into..

Hahahahaha. Guess who doesn't watch baseball?

NYMets0507
04-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I won't listen to Ken Rosenthal until he brushes his teeth.

MetsFanatic19
04-01-2010, 10:13 PM
it certaintly is possible, but i wouldn't bet on it. at least it's something different and not an obvious pick. it gets old after a while having EVERYONE say it's gunna be phils-yankees

SchyGuy11
04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
these predictions before the season starts are so stupid and they mean nothing, dumb!

infernoscurse
04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
who is the whitesox cleanup hitter?

Bronzbomba
04-01-2010, 10:37 PM
hey guys stop complaining. If a writer picks the yanks, sox or phillies to win the WS everyone complains. When they go a little against the odds, there is still complaining. Takes shots in the dark about how the season would go is like trying to pick a perfect NCAA bracket.

whitesoxfan83
04-01-2010, 11:29 PM
who is the whitesox cleanup hitter?

Carlos Quentin or Paul Konerko Id suppose.

Quentin would have been MVP in 2008 if he hadnt of broken his wrist at the beginning of September.

It really boils down to Alex Rios and Carlos Quentin coming back strong, and to a lesser extent Andruw Jones and Mark Teahen.

Twitchy
04-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I didn't realize anybody was still taking Rosenthal seriously. I just assumed this was his version of an April Fool's joke.

Although I have to say I love his arguments. He might as well have said "If everything goes right for the White Sox and everything goes wrong for the other 29 teams than the White Sox have a pretty good chance of winning". Thanks for the insight, Rosenthal.

Yankees Suck
04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
i didnt realize jake peavy was going to pitch 5 days in a row and bat cleanup...

hahaha

Qdawg
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
I think I'd take the Cards if they can stay healthy. If you get 5 games out of Carpenter and Wainwright in a 7 game series that's tough to beat, and they have the best 3-4 punch in Pujols and Holliday in baseball imo.

heathonater
04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
i think rosenthal was just trying to pick a team outside the phils, red sox, and yanks. he most likely thinks that one of those teams is going to win it, but the point of this article in my opinion was that he was just picking a possible dark horse contender this year. i doubt he actually thinks the white sox will win it all.

MelanconMadness
04-02-2010, 02:56 AM
If you actually look at their team, putting all bias for your own team aside. You would see that this isn't surpring in the slightest. Everyone overlooks how good their pitching staff really is. Just because they don't have a 2009 cy young pitcher on their team has no bearing on the talent that they have. Peavy,buerle, danks, floyd, and garcia. To go along with a pretty decent bullpen, and underrated closer. They're offense and defense isn't steller, but if they get adrian gonzo, which wouldn't be a surprise, its a huge upgrade. If they make the playoffs, as a yankee fan, they are the team I would dread seeing the most

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 03:16 AM
White Sox would be lucky to win their own division yet win the World Series. The rotation with Peavy, Danks and Mark Buehrle is a solid 1-2-3 punch. The problem is Gavin Floyd is to unpredictable. The 5th starter Freddy Garcia has started 23 games in the last three seasons. That's a worry! Then the offense is not stellar. They have Konerko who is aging and Carlos Quentin who has not been the same since breaking his wrist in 2008. Alex Rios has been in a year and half slump. Gordon Beckham better be a stud if the Chi-Sox even want to reach the playoffs this season.

DaSox_05
04-02-2010, 08:26 AM
The problem is Gavin Floyd is to unpredictable.

The same Gavin Floyd who posted a 4.06 ERA | 1.23 WHIP | 3.77 FIP last year. :confused:

Pinstripe pride
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
i doubt it. they are going to have to fight just to make the playoffs. the central simply isn't good enough to have a champion

AllTimeBest
04-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I have the Sox having the best record in the AL :shrug:

They have a damn good team

avrpatsfan
04-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Good dark horse candidate but no way they win it over St. Louis, New York, Boston, Seattle, Angels, and the Phillies.

poodski
04-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I didn't realize anybody was still taking Rosenthal seriously. I just assumed this was his version of an April Fool's joke.

Although I have to say I love his arguments. He might as well have said "If everything goes right for the White Sox and everything goes wrong for the other 29 teams than the White Sox have a pretty good chance of winning". Thanks for the insight, Rosenthal.

Pretty much.

You could write this article for about 20 teams.

Pinstripe pride
04-02-2010, 09:09 AM

you will regret that

AllTimeBest
04-02-2010, 09:18 AM
you will regret that

Maybe. I absolutely love their rotation, and think their offense is underrated. Have several good hitters.

Pinstripe pride
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Maybe. I absolutely love their rotation, and think their offense is underrated. Have several good hitters.

im not saying there not good. they have a great rotation. The problem is to have the best record in the american league they have to beat out the world champion yankees, the always in the mix red sox, the team that has dominated the AL west and most of the AL for the last few years in the angels, and the up and coming rays and mariners. That doesn;'t even count their own division rivals in minnesotta. Playoffs are definetly a possiblity, but number 1 in the AL just seems to far fetched for me

sixers247
04-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Is this an April fools joke???

AllTimeBest
04-02-2010, 10:09 AM
im not saying there not good. they have a great rotation. The problem is to have the best record in the american league they have to beat out the world champion yankees, the always in the mix red sox, the team that has dominated the AL west and most of the AL for the last few years in the angels, and the up and coming rays and mariners. That doesn;'t even count their own division rivals in minnesotta. Playoffs are definetly a possiblity, but number 1 in the AL just seems to far fetched for me

I completely agree. However, I will put the White Sox rotation right up there with both of those teams. Peavy, Buehrle, and Danks is very very good as far as depth. Then you look at the lineup. Is the White Sox lineup as good as the Yankees or Sox? No, not even close. However Konerko can hit the ball, Rios is solid, Beckham is some peoples choice to breakout as a superstar this year. Carlos Quentin was one of the best power hitters in the league two years ago.

Do things need to all gel together for the White Sox and a few things to happen for them to have the best record? Absolutely. Peavy needs to have a strong season coming off the surgery, they need their 4 and 5 pitchers to pitch well. They need the lineup to produce runs which may be the biggest question mark for this team.

However, I think the AL East is better this year then it has been in maybe the past decade. I think the Blue Jays are absolutely horrible, but the Orioles finally have a team that is ready to be able to compete for .500. Last year I think the O's were a combined 5-32 against the Yankees and Red Sox, something along those lines. They only won 4 games against the Yankees and 1 game against the Sox I believe. Although the Yankees and Sox are better then the O's, you have to think the O's can do better then that this year with Matusz and Bergesen and the progression of this team. Then you look at the Rays. I'm not as high on the Rays as some people are, but they still are going to be trouble for the Yanks and Sox. So the White Sox have a much easier schedule, with a very strong team, which could equal a very good record.

ShockerArt
04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
i doubt it. they are going to have to fight just to make the playoffs. the central simply isn't good enough to have a champion

The Sox pick is risky because they aren't (or don't appear to be) as safe a bet to make the playoffs as other potential picks like the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Cardinals.

But, once in the playoffs, anyone can get hot and win the whole thing. The overall strength/weakness of a team's division has no effect on how they perform once they make the playoffs.

Pinstripe pride
04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I completely agree. However, I will put the White Sox rotation right up there with both of those teams. Peavy, Buehrle, and Danks is very very good as far as depth. Then you look at the lineup. Is the White Sox lineup as good as the Yankees or Sox? No, not even close. However Konerko can hit the ball, Rios is solid, Beckham is some peoples choice to breakout as a superstar this year. Carlos Quentin was one of the best power hitters in the league two years ago.

Do things need to all gel together for the White Sox and a few things to happen for them to have the best record? Absolutely. Peavy needs to have a strong season coming off the surgery, they need their 4 and 5 pitchers to pitch well. They need the lineup to produce runs which may be the biggest question mark for this team.

However, I think the AL East is better this year then it has been in maybe the past decade. I think the Blue Jays are absolutely horrible, but the Orioles finally have a team that is ready to be able to compete for .500. Last year I think the O's were a combined 5-32 against the Yankees and Red Sox, something along those lines. They only won 4 games against the Yankees and 1 game against the Sox I believe. Although the Yankees and Sox are better then the O's, you have to think the O's can do better then that this year with Matusz and Bergesen and the progression of this team. Then you look at the Rays. I'm not as high on the Rays as some people are, but they still are going to be trouble for the Yanks and Sox. So the White Sox have a much easier schedule, with a very strong team, which could equal a very good record.

thats a good point. the AL east is going to be fierce this year. I think the rays could easily win any other division, and the O's would be .500 in any other division as well. using that though, then the white sox team with an easier schedule could make a run at the bes record. i still doub tit, but i wouldn't rule it out any more

Pierzynski4Prez
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I would be pleased about this if it was anybody but Ken Rosenthal.

behindmydesk
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I have the whitesox winning the central. If they are in, they have a good chance just like everyone else in the playoffs to win it all. Playoffs are a crap shoot. I've seen worse projections out there.

atl_braves_fan
04-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Did you guys not even read the article? It is clearly satire - he spends half of the article talking about how dumb it is to even try to make predictions. The other half of the article, he spends calling the White Sox "Team Wacko."

He even says you could do the same exact thing and come up with your own favorite team winning the world series.

mser58
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
It's not reasonable, they could win the division maybe, but NY and BOS are too strong

theslick1
04-02-2010, 12:45 PM

The only Sox that have a chance of having the best record in the AL are Red.

yankkiller
04-02-2010, 01:06 PM
i hate to say this cuzz im a red sox fan, but i really think the Rays have the best overall team, and as long as the pitching pitches the way they can they might run away with the east, same thing can be said about the red sox and the white sox, all three of these teams have complete rotations, question is will they stay healthy

my predictions
AL East
Rays
AL Central
White Sox
AL West
Rangers
Wild Card
Red Sox

NL East
Phillies
NL Central
Reds
NL West
Rockies
Wild Card
Braves

AL Champs
Rays
NL Champs
Braves

World Series Champ
Rays

redwhitenblue
04-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, I didn't know attendance had a relation to the ability of the team.

WCF23
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
They aren't even going to win their own division imo. Pretty hard to win the WS when they aren't going to make the playoffs. The Twins or Tigers will take that division. Buehrle, Peavy, Garcia in 2005 = holy $#%&, in 2010, meh. I like Floyd and I think Danks is great, but I think there will be a huge issue with the bullpen. The starting pitching is by far their strongest area though.

As far as the lineup, I believe in Carlos Quentin, assuming he stays healthy, and I believe Beckham is going to contribute, but how are they going to score enough runs? That Juan Pierre sure is scrappy, insert joke here. Andruw Fail Jones and Rios have to have career years and Paul Konerko would have to find a way to not regress.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I look at the Sox the same way I look at the Cubs, if everything goes perfectly, then they can make the post season, and then anything is possible. However, if one or two guys get hurt for an extended period of time, or simply don't hit, its going to be a long year.

I would be more comfortable picking the Rays as a dark horse over the White Sox simply because only one team is coming out of the Central and two are coming out of the East. I think the Red Sox are going to have a hard time scoring runs. An opportunity I don't think the White Sox are going to get from either of the Tigers or Twins.

I like the pitching and defense approach, but I think its going to work better for the Red Sox than it does the White Sox.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
The same Gavin Floyd who posted a 4.06 ERA | 1.23 WHIP | 3.77 FIP last year. :confused:

Yes the same Gavin Floyd who went 11-11 last season.

JDIsMyGod23
04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
You know what the Yankees have in common with judging a pitcher by W-L record?

blams
04-02-2010, 04:05 PM

W-L, :laugh: get out

blams
04-02-2010, 04:06 PM
They aren't even going to win their own division imo. Pretty hard to win the WS when they aren't going to make the playoffs. The Twins or Tigers will take that division. Buehrle, Peavy, Garcia in 2005 = holy $#%&, in 2010, meh. I like Floyd and I think Danks is great, but I think there will be a huge issue with the bullpen. The starting pitching is by far their strongest area though.

As far as the lineup, I believe in Carlos Quentin, assuming he stays healthy, and I believe Beckham is going to contribute, but how are they going to score enough runs? That Juan Pierre sure is scrappy, insert joke here. Andruw Fail Jones and Rios have to have career years and Paul Konerko would have to find a way to not regress.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I look at the Sox the same way I look at the Cubs, if everything goes perfectly, then they can make the post season, and then anything is possible. However, if one or two guys get hurt for an extended period of time, or simply don't hit, its going to be a long year.

I would be more comfortable picking the Rays as a dark horse over the White Sox simply because only one team is coming out of the Central and two are coming out of the East. I think the Red Sox are going to have a hard time scoring runs. An opportunity I don't think the White Sox are going to get from either of the Tigers or Twins.

I like the pitching and defense approach, but I think its going to work better for the Red Sox than it does the White Sox.

Let's see- Peavy is still great. Buehrle is just as good as he has always been, 0 regression. Floyd and Danks as 3 and 4? Best in baseball by far. Garcia as 5? eh, but we have a great backup plan too.

redwhitenblue
04-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Let's see- Peavy is still great. Buehrle is just as good as he has always been, 0 regression. Floyd and Danks as 3 and 4? Best in baseball by far. Garcia as 5? eh, but we have a great backup plan too.
I wouldn't say by far, I think the other side of the city has a very good 3/4 too in Dempster/Wells.

And Buehrle had amazing years in '01 and '05, his other years aren't close to that. To say -0- regression is technically true, but he's not the 2005 Buehrle.

Pinstripe pride
04-02-2010, 04:20 PM

red sox, giants, braves and rays may beg to differ, to name a few

bosoxlover12
04-02-2010, 04:32 PM
The only Sox that have a chance of having the best record in the AL are Red.

:clap:

redwhitenblue
04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Also very good choices. There are actually quite a few deep rotations in the majors this year.

bosoxlover12
04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Look, let's put this nicely. There are 4 groups of teams:
4. the bottom group that you know will miss the playoffs
3. the group that can make the playoffs, but its from winning a weak division or as a WC (colorado, w.sox, SF, etc)
2. The good teams in the league (STL, TB, SEA, etc)
1. The Sox and Yanks. Not even close to touchable. Both these teams potentially could win 110 games, and easily would if they werent playing eachother 18 times a year. The only teams that can beat a Group 1 is a top from Group 2(TB, SEA, STL)

bosoxlover12
04-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Expecially Boston! Wakefield had 12 wins in the 1st half of the year, and he's Boston's 6th starter. Dice-K's last healthy season, he went 18-2. You know Lackey, Lester, and Beckett will get a minimum of 15 wins each, barring injury

redwhitenblue
04-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Look, let's put this nicely. There are 4 groups of teams:
4. the bottom group that you know will miss the playoffs
3. the group that can make the playoffs, but its from winning a weak division or as a WC (colorado, w.sox, SF, etc)
2. The good teams in the league (STL, TB, SEA, etc)
1. The Sox and Yanks. Not even close to touchable. Both these teams potentially could win 110 games, and easily would if they werent playing eachother 18 times a year. The only teams that can beat a Group 1 is a top from Group 2(TB, SEA, STL)
Now don't be concerned about sounding like a homer, tell us how you really feel.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 05:43 PM
W-L, :laugh: get out

Oh ya because pitchers are never judged on their records lol.

abe_froman
04-02-2010, 05:46 PM

only by those who's mindsets are stuck like its perpetually 20 years ago

ShockerArt
04-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Like he said, that would be the same Gavin Floyd who posted a 4.06 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 3.77 FIP, and increased his K/9 rate to 7.60 last year.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 05:49 PM

The best 3-4 in baseball are you kidding me. The Red Sox have Lackey and Dice-k. Hell I would take Andy Pettite and Javier Vasquez before I would ever consider Danks or Floyd the best 3-4.

The Chi-Sox rotation were soooo good last year it got them 3rd place in a lowly AL Central. :D

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Like he said, that would be the same Gavin Floyd who posted a 4.06 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 3.77 FIP, and increased his K/9 rate to 7.60 last year.

Since you think he is so good with a 4.04 ERA why wasn't he in the running for Cy Young? Could that be because he was a .500 pitcher.

JDIsMyGod23
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Since you think he is so good with a 4.04 ERA why wasn't he in the running for Cy Young? Could that be because he was a .500 pitcher.

Ignorance is your new best friend.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Ignorance is your new best friend.

Sure is! I don't care what Lester or Beckett's WHIP is. As long as they win games and make the playoffs that is success. I feel bad for Chi-Sox fans. I guess if the Red Sox didn't win or make the playoffs I would be more interested in their stats.

JDIsMyGod23
04-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Sure is! I don't care what Lester or Beckett's WHIP is. As long as they win games and make the playoffs that is success. I feel bad for Chi-Sox fans. I guess if the Red Sox didn't win or make the playoffs I would be more interested in their stats.

You realize you make the playoffs and win championships because your GM isn't an idiot. By idiot, I mean judge people by wins and losses/runs and RBIs. Irony at its finest.

whitesoxfan83
04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Its amazing how disrespected both the White Sox and Twins are every single season.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
You realize you make the playoffs and win championships because your GM isn't an idiot. By idiot, I mean judge people by wins and losses/runs and RBIs. Irony at its finest.

I don't think Kenny Williams got the Memo.

JDIsMyGod23
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't think Kenny Williams go the Memo.

Because our manager is the dumbass. Not Kenny.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Because our manager is the dumbass. Not Kenny.

How is he a dumbass? Ozzie Guillen brought the Sox a World Series trophy. I don't understand White Sox fans. I don't think I ever will.

JDIsMyGod23
04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
How is he a dumbass? Ozzie Guillen brought the Sox a World Series trophy. I don't understand White Sox fans. I don't think I ever will.

And I'll never stand obsolete baseball fans. To each its own.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 06:41 PM
And I'll never stand obsolete baseball fans. To each its own.

I can't stand fans who think they know everything about baseball but yet all they do is post on-line. If they are so good at it you think they would have been involved in baseball.

Twitchy
04-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't think the manager is ever responsible for bringing in a WS.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't think the manager is ever responsible for bringing in a WS.

Your right that's why MLB teams pay them millions. They never do anything but sit like a fan and watch the game.

JDIsMyGod23
04-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I can't stand fans who think they know everything about baseball but yet all they do is post on-line. If they are so good at it you think they would have been involved in baseball.

Yea, cause that's all that needs to happen to get involved in baseball is know about it. Just like any job in the world. You NEVER have to have connections ever to get a job!

Southsideheat
04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
JD, just walk away, its not worth it.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Yea, cause that's all that needs to happen to get involved in baseball is know about it. Just like any job in the world. You NEVER have to have connections ever to get a job!

Go to law school that's the first step. I think you would actually do well in that because you love to argue against all of my posts.

Yankees Suck
04-02-2010, 06:50 PM
JD, just walk away, its not worth it.

That's what the nurse told your mom when you were born. I am JK!

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Maybe Ken should stick to interviewing managers in 5th inning of Fox broadcasts.

Twitchy
04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Your right that's why MLB teams pay them millions. They never do anything but sit like a fan and watch the game.

That's a terrific argument. I guess Barry Zito and Alfonso Soriano must be critical to their teams success because they have some of the biggest contracts in the history of the game.

The point, which apparently went over your head, is that the 25 guys on the roster who did the hitting, fielding, and pitching were responsible for winning. Not the manager.

DaSox_05
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Are you serious? Just maybe it was the White Sox terrible offense, defense and bullpen that contributed to his .500 record.

Here is a website (http://www.fangraphs.com) that you probably never seen before, do me a favor educate yourself before taking a pithers W/L record as the whole story.

The best 3-4 in baseball are you kidding me. The Red Sox have Lackey and Dice-k. Hell I would take Andy Pettite and Javier Vasquez before I would ever consider Danks or Floyd the best 3-4.

The Chi-Sox rotation were soooo good last year it got them 3rd place in a lowly AL Central. :D

Could be that the Sox 4/5 pitchers last year were Contreras and Colon.

See first response!

You should care what there WHIP is, because if its bad like 1.50 or over they are giving up a lot of hits and walks. Meaning they are probably losing.

I don't think Kenny Williams got the Memo.

See JD's post. Not Kenny's fault.

Just because he was the manager when the White Sox won the world series doesnt mean people have to like him. I do like him but I am starting to lean the other way since Ozzie wants to play small ball with Juan "slappy mcpop up" Pierre. In the AL and in a HR friendly ball park.

I would love to work for the White Sox or any other MLB team but I am 30yrs old with no college degree and no front office or other kind of baseball experience besides playing in little league and high school. BUT I do read and understand baseball is moving in a new direction. There are new websites forming everyday on new metrics to better understand the game which I think you should read up on, so you want sound like an idiot.

That's what the nurse told your mom when you were born. I am JK!

:facepalm:

Showing your age here!

fvthreeee
04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I just dont get why everyone is so high on the Red Sox and Rockies.

The Red Sox are worse offensively than both the Yankees and Rays

Their pitching staff is grossly overrated.

Beckett 3.86 ERA
Lackey 3.83 ERA in the AL West
Bucholz has never proven anything and Dice K is a mess

Lester is a stud though.

The Yankees won the world series and got better, i just dont see why everyone loves the sox, if its because Lackey, a guy with a shaky ERA and No K's, thats ridiculous. The Sox may not even make the playoffs, let alone beat the Yankees.

And with the Rockies, they have stud in Ubaldo and in Tulo, but then everything else is a toss up, i just do not get it.

THISISDAYEAR
04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
No way in hell Sox win it all.

Tkais9009
04-03-2010, 11:49 AM
why does he assume albert pujols may miss significant time?

fishfan79
04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
interestin I dont even see the sox winning the central think detriot does

LordBilliam11
04-03-2010, 12:49 PM
hey guys stop complaining. If a writer picks the yanks, sox or phillies to win the WS everyone complains. When they go a little against the odds, there is still complaining. Takes shots in the dark about how the season would go is like trying to pick a perfect NCAA bracket.

Which truly is an impossible task! Ha!

iam brett favre
04-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I do like how he called out how over hyped computer nerd simulations are.
There are certain things you cannot predict.
However, he's wrong, Yankees will win it.

Gogosoxfan14
04-03-2010, 02:01 PM
IMO homer opinion the White Sox have the best pitching staff in baseball. Last year the Sox had the 3rd best pitching staff in baseball and that was with Jose Contreras and Bartolo Colon. Insert Jake Peavy and Freddy Garcia to replace those two. Everybody just looks at names. Oh we have C.C and Burnett easily better than Buehrle and Peavy. Give me a break. Look at the numbers don't look at the name on the back of the jersey.

MDfootball36
04-03-2010, 05:48 PM
:facepalm:

VRP723
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Man I wish I saw this earlier, that Yankees Suck guy was the only person making any sense around here

Matt Cain's a career 44-51 pitcher, so we know he's terrible :rolleyes:

DeyAce
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Thats right the White Sox will win it all. All these ESPN haters always overlooking the Sox and praising the loser cubs make me sick.

JetsMets10
04-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Mets!

nithanyo
04-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Is rios gonna be MVP as well?

DewsSox79
04-04-2010, 12:32 AM
White Sox would be lucky to win their own division yet win the World Series. The rotation with Peavy, Danks and Mark Buehrle is a solid 1-2-3 punch. The problem is Gavin Floyd is to unpredictable. The 5th starter Freddy Garcia has started 23 games in the last three seasons. That's a worry! Then the offense is not stellar. They have Konerko who is aging and Carlos Quentin who has not been the same since breaking his wrist in 2008. Alex Rios has been in a year and half slump. Gordon Beckham better be a stud if the Chi-Sox even want to reach the playoffs this season.

twins rotation=fail

they better play like they did in the dome to have a shot.

DewsSox79
04-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Is rios gonna be MVP as well?

dont be bitter that your teams season is over before it started.

sager729
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey at least they signed Adam Lind to a very cheap deal. I guess we might as well just put the Yanks and Red Sox in the ALCS now and not even play the season.

In '05 the Sox were picked to finish 3rd or 4th and the Red Sox were the Champs and no way they weren't going back. But then the White Sox had the best record in the league and won the WS with a great pitching staff.

But what's the point NYY and BOS are just way to good according to all the homer fans on here.

natelpete
04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
a.l. central
twins>tigers>white sox>indians>royals

jiggin
04-04-2010, 09:18 PM
hahaha

this made me laugh. please tell me he posted it on april 1st.

hhahaha

nithanyo
04-05-2010, 12:09 AM
dont be bitter that your teams season is over before it started.

The white sox would have folded up and moved if they played in the AL east. And we all know the twins are gonna take the central so please stop dreaming

Big E
04-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Saying someone definitely won't win is just stupid. Did the 08 Rays teach you nothing???
I can see the Yanks winning it, I can also see the Mariners or Giants winning it. You never know, which is the whole point of the article.

Boozerguy47
04-05-2010, 06:30 AM
IF the Mariners get to the postseason with Felix, Lee and Bedard healthy we'll be tough to beat. I don't care how mediocre our offense is.

uws
04-05-2010, 06:43 AM
the white sox have a good rotation and that is about it

the mariners are not overrated

and if you pick against the AL east this season (especially the yankees-homer remark) you are absolutely insane, the yankees red sox and rays are all top 5 in baseball (I wont give any specific order at this time)

uws
04-05-2010, 06:44 AM
oh and the giants pitching is absolutely incredible, and if the offense even turns around a little bit I can see them making a deep run in the NL late this season

AllTimeBest
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
the white sox have a good rotation and that is about it

the mariners are not overrated

and if you pick against the AL east this season (especially the yankees-homer remark) you are absolutely insane, the yankees red sox and rays are all top 5 in baseball (I wont give any specific order at this time)

Wrong

PlasterdBastard
04-06-2010, 11:45 AM
i would say the whitesox have a good chance to make the playoffs. Thier starting rotation is solid the pen is really solid and the lineup may lack big name players in the middle of the lineup but they have the potential to have a lot of players hitting in the 280/20 Hr/70-80 rbis range. The yankees and redsox are always better on paper but do they make the world series every year, seems like the rays, whitesox, and the angels have made it to ws out of the AL. Once a team is in the playoffs anything can happen look at the 2006 ST Louis Cardinals finished the regular season with 83 wins and then the pitching staff gets hot and they win the worl series.......... anything can happen i mean he didnt say the nationals would win the world series the whitesox are not a rediculous prediction

mark1125
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
i would say the whitesox have a good chance to make the playoffs. Thier starting rotation is solid the pen is really solid and the lineup may lack big name players in the middle of the lineup but they have the potential to have a lot of players hitting in the 280/20 Hr/70-80 rbis range. The yankees and redsox are always better on paper but do they make the world series every year, seems like the rays, whitesox, and the angels have made it to ws out of the AL. Once a team is in the playoffs anything can happen look at the 2006 ST Louis Cardinals finished the regular season with 83 wins and then the pitching staff gets hot and they win the worl series.......... anything can happen i mean he didnt say the nationals would win the world series the whitesox are not a rediculous prediction

True.....the Tigers went to WS as wild card as well. The AL central is anyones to take (except maybe Cleveland). The White Sox have as good a shot as anyone. I don't think they are favored, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

PlasterdBastard
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
yes the Al central is open but i dont see Kansas City having a shot either, i would say there is no favorite with the top three teams.

kyubi256
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Rios went 1-3 with a 1BB and a 1 HR. Not a bad first game. Interested to see if he can bounce back in a new environment

PlasterdBastard
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
he hit the ball extremely hard in his first at bat and was robbed of a hit. It was nice to see him making solid contact

theslick1
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I think the White Sox will win the AL Central. I don't think either the Tigers or Twins can match their pitching.

PlasterdBastard
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
i would never count out the twins they always seem to find a way to be right there

theslick1
04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree. The Twins get more out of less than any other team.

PlasterdBastard
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
im just so excited that baseball season is here cant wait to watch baseball tonight every night now