PDA

View Full Version : Wade and Lebron might be kicked out of Olympic Team

FOBolous
04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-worldchampionships040110

Colangelo: Skip worlds at your own peril

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
4 hours, 44 minutes ago

Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo has a message for LeBron James(notes), Dwyane Wade(notes) and the rest of the NBA stars leaning toward skipping the 2010 World Championships without an approved alibi: You’ve lost your guarantee for a roster spot at the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Dwyane Wade has expressed doubt about playing in the worlds.

(Issac Baldizon/NBAE via Getty Images)
“There are no free passes to London,” Colangelo told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night. “There are no special rules for anyone. If someone decides to pass without a legit issue, they do it with an understanding of the risk.”

James publicly insisted Wednesday that “I’m probably not playing,” and his reasoning for sitting out the late-summer training camp and tournament – a busy schedule – doesn’t fall within the excused absences Colangelo has laid out. James hasn’t directly told Colangelo of his plans, but he joins Wade in publicly expressing doubt about playing in the World Championships in Turkey.

Other Popular Links on Yahoo! SportsShaq's mom writes motivational book LeBron James signs new deal with Nike More From Adrian WojnarowskiHistory behind them, Nets eye brighter future Mar 30, 2010 Wizards prove to be nothing but pushovers Mar 25, 2010 Two sources familiar with Wade’s plans say the Miami Heat star has already decided against playing for Team USA this summer. Colangelo has wanted to hold national team players to a revolving three-year commitment on the way to the Olympic Games. How can he still get his biggest stars to Turkey this summer?

Perhaps the shoes will help. Nike has a huge financial stake in USA Basketball, and James and Wade are two of the company’s most important pitchmen. The global stage is important for pushing product, and Colangelo isn’t fearful of exploiting this fact.

“The players are intelligent and they understand that some of this whole thing brands them in the international marketplace,” he said. “And maybe they’ll make some decisions based on the fact that certainly Nike has a big impact on them in terms of what their contract may or may not say about this.”

Free agency starts July 1, and the game’s biggest stars – James, Wade and the Toronto Raptors’ Chris Bosh(notes) – will likely have resolution on where they will sign by the middle of the month.

With several other stars also destined for free agency, Colangelo had no expectation they would play and risk injury in the July minicamp in Las Vegas. Colangelo calls himself “flexible,” and says he’ll accept contract status, injury and pressing family matters as reasons for an excused absence.

Nevertheless, he wants all of Team USA to minimally show up for the July minicamp while free agency gets underway, and expects that once deals are signed all the players will attend the August training camp in New York. Team USA has a pool of 27 players to bolster the roster; it would most fear losing Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard(notes) for the World Championships. Outside of him, the U.S. could be forced to go with Boston’s Kendrick Perkins(notes) to play center.

Team USA’s oldest and youngest stars – the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant(notes) and Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant(notes) – are committed to playing this summer. As one source said, “Kobe will probably take inventory on his body at the end of the season,” but he is planning to play. Durant nearly made the 2008 Olympic team as a 19-year-old rookie and promises to be an immense part of Team USA’s future. Durant will be a star among stars the moment he steps on the floor.

“He’s one of the best five, maybe six, players in the NBA already,” Colangelo said. “He’s a pretty good replacement for anyone.”

Durant is young and hungry, and Team USA can use him. The World Championships doesn’t inspire tremendous enthusiasm for the returning players who won a gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Yet Team USA lost to Greece in the World Championships’ medal round in 2006, a deflating defeat that stays with some of that team’s players.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
i doubt he would do that

tredigs
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
HAH, yeah I had heard this. Well, good luck with that ridiculous "threat" is all I have to say. They have been part of the Olympic program since '04, and were two of the prime pieces of the Gold Medal team at the last Olympics. If they want to take the summer off to live their own life outside of basketball for a few months, in a NON Olympic year at that, then they deserve to do so.

America would have a message for Jerry Colangelo if he decided to omit Wade and Lebron from the Olympic team, "do so at your own peril".

I for one would actually like to see players like D-Rose and Durant get a more predominant role on the team, and not having these two there for a summer would do just that. Old man Colangelo needs to take a step back.

MU and UW Fan
04-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Highly doubt LBJ and Wade will get kicked off team and not play in 2012 Olympics. Colangelo is a d-bag. Let's see if he has the balls to actually cut two of his top players of the team.

Kakaroach
04-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Just a blank threat to try and get these guys to come. Kick 2 Top 5 players in the world out? :laugh2:

RaiderLakersA's
04-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, Colangelo asked for and received the same commitment before the Redeem Team won gold. If the method works, use it.

But I seriously doubt the team will suffer much if either Wade, James or both didn't make the team. Not a knock against them as it is praise for the young talent in the league today.

IversonIsKrazy
04-01-2010, 06:26 PM
its a good thing imo. Playing for your country is an honor, and shouldn't be thought as a w/e oppurtunity like some are thinking it as. This would nvr happen in FIFA World Cup, too bad basketball players aren't as passionate about World competition.

td0tsfinest
04-01-2010, 06:27 PM
It's Kevin Durant's time to shine on the international stage.

Skippy15
04-01-2010, 06:30 PM
that would be a stupid move

tredigs
04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
its a good thing imo. Playing for your country is an honor, and shouldn't be thought as a w/e oppurtunity like some are thinking it as. This would nvr happen in FIFA World Cup, too bad basketball players aren't as passionate about World competition.

Well let's be fair here, this isn't in any way comparable to the World Cup. That is the pinnacle of soccer, and where legends are made.

The FIBA is the third most important championship event for a pro basketball player. NBA Championship being #1, followed by an Olympic Gold, and at a DISTANT third the FIBA championship. Honestly it wears the top players down for the following season, so I don't even like the event in the first place. We already have a world championship in the Olympics where the best of the best compete, so I like the idea of having this be a stage where the Americans send their younger, second tier superstars (who are still far and away good enough to win the Gold if they want it) to get a chance to showcase their talents at the international level.

Different opinions I suppose, but that's the way I see it.

Raph12
04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
PG - CP3
SG - Kobe
SF - Melo
PF - Bosh
C - Dwight
6th - Durant

They'd still win it easily IMO, besides Kobe, all of those guys are leaps-and-bounds better than they were in 08.

Corey
04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I guess I'm the only one that thinks he might actually do it :shrug:

justinnum1
04-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Wade is going to be in court during the summer.

Knowledge
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
They shouldn't need lebron or wade to win with some of the young talent we have available.

ATX
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Like Wade and LeBron won't earn a spot on the Olympic team. Please.

td0tsfinest
04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
They shouldn't need lebron or wade to win with some of the young talent we have available.

Yup. The States are still the best team in the world without wade and Lebron. Just add Joe Johnson, G-Dub and KD and you'll be fine.

SeoulBeatz
04-01-2010, 07:23 PM

you mean "american" players. i feel that other countries in general have waaaaaaaaay more passion about sports (mostly soccer)

FOBolous
04-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Well let's be fair here, this isn't in any way comparable to the World Cup. That is the pinnacle of soccer, and where legends are made.

The FIBA is the third most important championship event for a pro basketball player. NBA Championship being #1, followed by an Olympic Gold, and at a DISTANT third the FIBA championship. Honestly it wears the top players down for the following season, so I don't even like the event in the first place. We already have a world championship in the Olympics where the best of the best compete, so I like the idea of having this be a stage where the Americans send their younger, second tier superstars (who are still far and away good enough to win the Gold if they want it) to get a chance to showcase their talents at the international level.

Different opinions I suppose, but that's the way I see it.

actually...most of the world rank the FIBA World Championships above the Olympics. don't ask me why.

but yeea...isntead of Wade or Lebron, I wouldn't mind of Joe Johnson and Kevin Durant play in their stead.

tredigs
04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
PG - CP3
SG - Kobe
SF - Melo
PF - Bosh
C - Dwight
6th - Durant

They'd still win it easily IMO, besides Kobe, all of those guys are leaps-and-bounds better than they were in 08.

Think so? Don't get me wrong I don't think any of them are worse except for Kobe depending on his injuries, but I'd only say that Dwight is noticeably better than he was in '08, though "leaps and bounds" is probably a stretch. Durant wasn't on the team, but that's a huge pickup for them. You'd definitely have to consider starting him over Melo, or at least play an equal amount of minutes. His defense is superior, and his offense is just as good. But "seniority" is a big part of the process for that team, so he may have to pay his dues first.

But you're definitely right that if they want it, that team still wins it fairly easily. Especially with the notable international players who already said they won't be playing this year.

actually...most of the world rank the FIBA World Championships above the Olympics. don't ask me why.

but yeea...isntead of Wade or Lebron, I wouldn't mind of Joe Johnson and Kevin Durant play in their stead.

Yeah I've noticed that the last few times I've talked ball with people in England and France, but that's just not the case for us y'know. And let's get real, we don't really care what they think is the most important.

Raidaz4Life
04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
It's Kevin Durant's time to shine on the international stage.

Amen! We don't need em!

Hellcrooner
04-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Why?

Top competiton : Usa

Second line : Spain/Argentina/Lithuania

Third : Greece/Serbia/Germany/Croatia/Russia/Turkey/Brazil/Ucraine/Latvia/Slovenia/France.

FOurth: Puerto Rico, China, Australia.....

Fifht: whateve other country you can think in asia , africa etc etc.

as you can see the Third stage is filled with EUROPEAN teams.

Ok in the World cup there are 24 participants basically

Usa, Argentina , Brazil from south america

4 or 5 lousy teams from the rest of the world

and like the BEST 14 teams from europe.

While in Olumpics there are 12 participants.

Usa only one of brazil and argentina and then only 4 or 5 european teams because they want o give some " parity" between continnts so a LOT of crap teams from Asia and Africa get to play in the olympics.

Basically its much more difficult to win the FIba World Championship.

Raph12
04-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Think so? Don't get me wrong I don't think any of them are worse except for Kobe depending on his injuries, but I'd only say that Dwight is noticeably better than he was in '08, though "leaps and bounds" is probably a stretch. Durant wasn't on the team, but that's a huge pickup for them. You'd definitely have to consider starting him over Melo, or at least play an equal amount of minutes. His defense is superior, and his offense is just as good. But "seniority" is a big part of the process for that team, so he may have to pay his dues first.

But you're definitely right that if they want it, that team still wins it fairly easily. Especially with the notable international players who already said they won't be playing this year.

Well add Durant to the mix (changes a lot), Melo's added more to his offensive arsenal (post game is better, slashing is better, etc..) and is a better defender than he was, Dwight will have an actual iso game they could go to and his defense is much improved from the 07-08 season, CP3, D-Will, Kobe, etc.. are all much smarter, etc...

There are too many things to name, obviously with Wade and Lebron, it would be much easier, but even with the team I had up there, they could win it easily, if they wanted to.

_KB24_
04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
It's a privilege to play for Team USA, and I don't think they really realize that. I mean you want to go all Hollywood instead of competing at a World Class event. :eyebrow: Damn, the mentality of players is completely different from back in the day

HiphopRelated
04-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Kobe better fix all those damn broken fingers, tired of hearing about that sh1t

MU and UW Fan
04-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Give them a break. There going to be free agents and want to get that all situated and also not to have to play ball year round. They just wanna get some rest and relaxation in instead of playing a whole NBA season and then play for your country and repeat those steps by playing non stop. Just leave them alone.

heathonater
04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
kobe should consider taking the summer off from playing basketball because he is no longer a young player. he needs to take some time off from bball to heal all his injuries and be fresh for next season.

fairandbalanced
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Well, kick them off.....then you'll have to explain how we got 4th place.

SwaggaIke
04-02-2010, 12:48 AM
It's a privilege to play for Team USA, and I don't think they really realize that. I mean you want to go all Hollywood instead of competing at a World Class event. :eyebrow: Damn, the mentality of players is completely different from back in the day

Lmao..you sound like someone cools your soup for you before putting the spoon in your mouth. How many damn olympics events do these men have to participate in? Wade and LeBron have been both committed to Team USA since '04. They have played in 2 Olympic games and 1 World Championship tournament. What the hell do you want from them? NBA Basketball is their FIRST commitment. Both of these men have busy summers ahead of them and would rather spend their time tending to those engagements, sue em. I'd love to see the US dominate in London w/o Wade or James and possibly Kobe for that matter...lmao.

sp1derm00
04-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Either way, I don't think Team USA needs them. Durant is gonna be the new Carmelo and probably take on the scoring load. His jumper is damn near unstoppable and it's so sweet.

And BTW, I strongly believe that Melo will be starting PF and Durant will be starting SF (if LBJ isn't playing). Bosh will probably back up Dwight at C.

Avenged
04-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Either way, I don't think Team USA needs them. Durant is gonna be the new Carmelo and probably take on the scoring load. His jumper is damn near unstoppable and it's so sweet.

And BTW, I strongly believe that Melo will be starting PF and Durant will be starting SF (if LBJ isn't playing). Bosh will probably back up Dwight at C.

I agree. The NBA is so stacked with talent. No Lebron or Wade? then add Melo and Durant. You can't go wrong either way.

Jenceman
04-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Even if they did not play, just throw Durant onto the team. Problem solved

Kyben36
04-02-2010, 01:54 AM
more room for Rose,

shep33
04-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Deron Williams
Kobe
Durant
Melo
D12

Bench

CP3
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Granger
Bosh
Boozer
David Lee/Andrew Bynum (need a 3rd big)

Wanna put Derrick Rose in.. but don't think he'd play much with Paul and Williams there.

Sadds The Gr8
04-02-2010, 02:16 AM
Without Kobe, LBJ, Wade, Durant, and CP3 Team USA still wins EASILY:facepalm:

Sadds The Gr8
04-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Deron Williams
Kobe
Durant
Melo
D12

Bench

CP3
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Granger
Bosh
Boozer
David Lee/Andrew Bynum (need a 3rd big)

Wanna put Derrick Rose in.. but don't think he'd play much with Paul and Williams there.

Odom is one of the new additions, so he'll be the 3rd big.

tredigs
04-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Without Kobe, LBJ, Wade, Durant, and CP3 Team USA still wins EASILY:facepalm:

Their starting five would be:

PG: D-Will

SG: Brandon Roy

SF: Melo

PF: Bosh

C: D. Howard

Gerald Wallace, Boozer, Rudy Gay, D. Rose, Brook Lopez, etc could hold down the bench. Yeah, they'd still be by far the most talented team.

junion
04-02-2010, 05:25 AM
of course it'd be better with lebron and wade in it, but i think melo and durant would fill in pretty well if they decide they're not dedicated enough.

DitchDat
04-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Wade is a moron. Why the diva attitutde? At least LBJ has a reason to skip.

Knowledge
04-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Personally taking off some of these guys that like to slash/drive most of the time might make the team better in some ways. Durant and Joe Johnson would add more natural shooting touch than Wade and Lebron and Wallace is as versatile as they come. They would actually make our weakness at the last Olympics a strength, which was shooting.

Cant complain about having lebron, bosh, and wade but their are a lot of possible combinations that could improve the team's on court chemistry.

jimbobjarree
04-02-2010, 06:43 AM
deron and durant looked like they had good chemistry in the all star game, I'm looking forward to Deron hooking Durant up with easy dunks all summer long. Its a great opportunity for Durant to show up Lebron.

edit: I will hopefully be at alot of their games in London in 2012, so I kinda hope this doesnt hurt my chances of seeing Bron and Wade there

UK Ivy
04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
eww Kendrick Perckins

Hellcrooner
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree. The NBA is so stacked with talent. No Lebron or Wade? then add Melo and Durant. You can't go wrong either way.

then why DID go wrong in Indianapolis world Championshio, Athens Olympic Games and tokyo World Championship?

GSW Hoops
04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
When they signed on originally, I remember Colangelo saying he wanted a committed team, not a patchwork of guys thrown together before every competition.

Kinda sad that guys like LeBron and Wade want to cherry pick and only play in the Olympics and not in the Worlds...

Tribe
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Ummmmm Im gonna need you to come in on Sunday 2....ooook

If Lebron or Wade want to be on the Olympic team than you can bet that they will be there

Giaps
04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I would admire Colangelo if he did boot them. These guys have been getting their ***** kissed their entire NBA lives so it would be nice to have them be treated as equals for a change.

HiphopRelated
04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Wade got legal issues out the *** to deal wit in the Summer centering around his divorce

GSW Hoops
04-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Their starting five would be:

PG: D-Will

SG: Brandon Roy

SF: Melo

PF: Bosh

C: D. Howard

Gerald Wallace, Boozer, Rudy Gay, D. Rose, Brook Lopez, etc could hold down the bench. Yeah, they'd still be by far the most talented team.

Did you even watch the gold medal game? Team USA was on the ropes until the very, very end. They were one shot away from getting silver...

Avenged
04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
then why DID go wrong in Indianapolis world Championshio, Athens Olympic Games and tokyo World Championship?

Please take a look at the Indianapolis world championship squad and tell me if that team was legitimate. Yes they had good players but not compared to now.
The Athens squad was a little more stacked with Lebron, Wade, and Melo, but they weren't the players they are today. Granted they did have Tim Duncan at Center I believe. The Tokyo team had a great chance to win I agree but didn't, hey not always the best teams win right? they seem to have won when Kobe joined the squad, maybe he's the reason. :p

GSW Hoops
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Please take a look at the Indianapolis world championship squad and tell me if that team was legitimate. Yes they had good players but not compared to now.
The Athens squad was a little more stacked with Lebron, Wade, and Melo, but they weren't the players they are today. Granted they did have Tim Duncan at Center I believe. The Tokyo team had a great chance to win I agree but didn't, hey not always the best teams win right? they seem to have won when Kobe joined the squad, maybe he's the reason. :p

Kobe definitely took over at the end of the gold medal game while everyone else watched. I think without Kobe Team USA would have silver medals right now.

footballer2369
04-02-2010, 12:21 PM

Hm....brutal divorce, custody battle, several pending lawsuits, nagging injuries, fatigue, and a team looking to be a contender next year....

What a diva!!!!!!

SwaggaIke
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Kobe definitely took over at the end of the gold medal game while everyone else watched. I think without Kobe Team USA would have silver medals right now.

And w/o Wade there would have been no opportunity for Kobe to take over the end of the game because he carried the team while Kobe AND LeBron were in foul trouble.

Personally taking off some of these guys that like to slash/drive most of the time might make the team better in some ways. Durant and Joe Johnson would add more natural shooting touch than Wade and Lebron and Wallace is as versatile as they come. They would actually make our weakness at the last Olympics a strength, which was shooting.

Cant complain about having lebron, bosh, and wade but their are a lot of possible combinations that could improve the team's on court chemistry.

I don't know what olympics you watched but Wade was one of the purest shooters on the floor in that tournament. They may be more natural, but Wade worked his *** off and it showed. He was dominant from all spots on the floor. None of those guys would play w/ the same chip on their shoulder as him. And in LeBron's defense, you see his versatility every night in the NBA game. Durant? Joe Johnson? Neither can do what LeBron is capable of at the level that he is capable of doing it. Durant is only comparable as a rebounder and Johnson as a passer. LeBron can snatch the board, start the break and finish w/ a score or precise pass. We're talking about 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA...respect them as such.

GSW Hoops
04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
And w/o Wade there would have been no opportunity for Kobe to take over the end of the game because he carried the team while Kobe AND LeBron were in foul trouble.

I don't know what olympics you watched but Wade was one of the purest shooters on the floor in that tournament. They may be more natural, but Wade worked his *** off and it showed. He was dominant from all spots on the floor. None of those guys would play w/ the same chip on their shoulder as him. And in LeBron's defense, you see his versatility every night in the NBA game. Durant? Joe Johnson? Neither can do what LeBron is capable of at the level that he is capable of doing it. Durant is only comparable as a rebounder and Johnson as a passer. LeBron can snatch the board, start the break and finish w/ a score or precise pass. We're talking about 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA...respect them as such.

Definitely. Wade was arguably the most consistent player throughout the Olympics, especially on defense. He was dominant in the Gold medal game, so I'm not sure how these other posters can say losing Wade isn't a "big" deal for Team USA.

You can't just plug in a guy and expect him to play as well as D-Wade. Spain has one hell of a basketball team, and we'll need our big guns to stand a chance of beating them.

SwaggaIke
04-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Definitely. Wade was arguably the most consistent player throughout the Olympics, especially on defense. He was dominant in the Gold medal game, so I'm not sure how these other posters can say losing Wade isn't a "big" deal for Team USA.

You can't just plug in a guy and expect him to play as well as D-Wade. Spain has one hell of a basketball team, and we'll need our big guns to stand a chance of beating them.

Exactly. Hopefully the US Team isn't settling into the same attitude as some of the fans. We dominated in the Olympics, but we'll need to same effort and attitude to do it this summer and again in London. Don't get me wrong, Durant is a beast and so is Joe J...but their all around games are nowhere near the level of Wade and LeBron. To say that you would rather see other guys than the COUNTRIES BEST is foolish. If Durant is a better player than Wade by 2012...so be it. I want to see the COUNTRIES BEST when Gold is on the line. But as it all currently stands, Durant ain't better than Wade or Bron.

znick21
04-03-2010, 01:23 AM
just replace em with roy and durant and they're fine.

Qdawg
04-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Let the guys deal with their personal issues, they have a sort of big decision to make this summer on where they'll be spending the next 5 years of their NBA careers. They give team USA the best chance to win, and to me that's what matters.

heathonater
04-03-2010, 05:52 AM
colangelo will not kick wade or lebron off the team because they decide that not participating in the world championships is not in their best interests. as long as wade and lebron commit to playing in the next summer oplympics, i have no problem in having these two players taking a summer off and dealing with whatever issues that are more important to their nba careers.

jackdawson
04-03-2010, 06:50 AM
They will be distractions in the camp. Let them deal with their free agency and bring in the likes of Durant, Roy etc etc. Heck, USA should be able to make 10 teams that would beat any nation on the planet.

jackdawson
04-03-2010, 07:28 AM

You know you are a ****ing idiot, right?