PDA

View Full Version : Players that you thought would have become stars?

Swashcuff
04-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Who are some players you guys thought had the potential to become stars in the league but ended up being nothing more than a one hit wonder/scrub type of player?

There are so many but off the top of my head I'd have to go with Kelvin Cato, Stromile Swift and Marcus Fizer. I really thought Cato had nice size to be effective in the league Stromile's raw athletic ability was really something and I really thought he had a bright future and while undersized Fizer really packed a punch and I thought he could have been a decent double double guy. Much like who DeJuan Blair may very well grow to become.

Who do you guys go?

td0tsfinest
04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I really thought Sebastian Telfair was going to be a really good player in this league when he was entering the draft.

zadora5
04-01-2010, 02:34 PM
i thought wade would and now he is ;)

alencp3
04-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I thought Oden will be a superstar but...

B.JenningsMVP
04-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Randy Foye-- People said next D-wade
Gearld Green-- People said next T-mac
I belived them, but it did not happppen

abe_froman
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
oden-thought he was going to be an all time great center,and bring the position back into vogue...

kurivaimu
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
sebastian telfair
Javaris crittenton
gerald green - when in boston, showed flashes of unique scoring ability
laettner - oh well..
sarunas jasikevicus - one of the most prized PG-s in europe...got raped in the nba
marvin williams
al thorton
ronny turiaf - thought he would develop into a 17/8-9 guy but..
oden
jerryd bayless
Marquis daniels - some said that he has the tools to be the next KB when he entered the league
emeka okafor - was in team USA..thought to be the franchise player of bobcats..but...

Swashcuff
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
all the name you guys mentioned are star players but just not star contributors. Oden 1st overall Green dunk contest, foye is still a very good player.... etc... im more interested in the guys who went under the radar that you thought could just bust out but never and more or less faded away.

Kid Fabulous
04-01-2010, 02:57 PM
adam morrison

HoopsDrive
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
adam morrison

Jackpot.

I still believe in him.

STACHE POWER

kurivaimu
04-01-2010, 03:02 PM
all the name you guys mentioned are star players but just not star contributors. Oden 1st overall Green dunk contest, foye is still a very good player.... etc... im more interested in the guys who went under the radar that you thought could just bust out but never and more or less faded away.

how is, for example Gerald Green a star player? hes out of the freaking league.
and..in your opinion..laettner was a star player in the NBA?

okey....we definately have different views on the aspect of defining a star player

celtisox41
04-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Gerald Green with the celtics. He started to play very well the year before they traded him and it all went downhill from there

Wiz kids
04-01-2010, 03:17 PM
OJ Mayo, heard of this kid as a 15 year old to be the next Kobe

Also...

Darko Milicic and Kwame Brown(**** him)

Swashcuff
04-01-2010, 03:17 PM
how is, for example Gerald Green a star player? hes out of the freaking league.
and..in your opinion..laettner was a star player in the NBA?

okey....we definately have different views on the aspect of defining a star player

Hey the guy attained international notoriety. He had his 15 minutes. Yeah he is out of the league but for some time he was a popular name.

I thing my concept has been misunderstood. I was interested in hearing about guys whose name i forgot about guys who never really had their defining moment but showed flashes or had the potential to be a star. Green's is much like Shaun Livingston's never played at a high calibre but is known talent within and outside basketball circles.

Weed&Football
04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
^ that idea sucks

i thought Jay Williams was gunna be nasty then he crashed and that was kinda gay

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
sebastian telfair
Javaris crittenton
gerald green - when in boston, showed flashes of unique scoring ability
laettner - oh well..
sarunas jasikevicus - one of the most prized PG-s in europe...got raped in the nba
marvin williams
al thorton
ronny turiaf - thought he would develop into a 17/8-9 guy but..
oden
jerryd bayless
Marquis daniels - some said that he has the tools to be the next KB when he entered the league
emeka okafor - was in team USA..thought to be the franchise player of bobcats..but...

he was a late draft pick and only a bench player

why did you tought he would be a star?:confused:

I Am Awesome-O
04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Beasley

dtmagnet
04-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I thought Al Thornton for sure was gonna be big.

sep11ie
04-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Lamar Odom

alencp3
04-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Also...

Well,Mayo is doing pretty well, of course not next kobe but he is not a scrub

arkanian215
04-02-2010, 04:40 PM
starting from 2000
K-Mart (injuries have held him back. he improved every year since he got to the league but got injured too often to keep it up)
Tyson Chandler, Eddie Griffin, Eddy Curry (heart problems or not, you gotta keep yourself in shape and you figure he'd rebound and defend better with those tools)
Caron Butler (he's been good but I expected a lot from him coming out of UConn)
Curly (that one injury set him back, just when he looked like he was getting it finally)
Krik Hinrich (even though I hated the jayhawks I liked his game and despite not having great athleticism he knew the game pretty well and played with a lot of heart. plenty of guys have done great things with average athleticism)
TJ Ford (could've been the blur but that head injury was disappointing. also that fiasco in toronto wasn't good. then again he hasn't taken advantage of where he's been since his toronto days).
Michael Sweetney (I thought he could be a 17+ 10 reb guy in this league and around 20 pts at his prime once he started hitting more shots)
Emeka Okafor (man you're letting me down. it's hard picturing a guy so dominant in college go from the beast he was to just a role player. i thought he would be an all star at least)
Josh Childress (sure he's damn skinny but he had skills and a fro.)
Charlie V (my boy he has to be a star)
Tyrus Thomas (athleticism to boot i guess it wasn't meant to be. i thought he'd be something special after that lsu run)
Saer Sene (yes him. I was really hoping he'd fall to the nets. I thought he would be like dwight howard and develop into a beast despite being very raw)
Marcus Williams (fatty can't keep his head straight. he was supposed to be a premier pg.)
Yi (had the frame and the mechanics to get it right. how things have gone so wrong).
Mike Conley (athlete background. the physical traits are there. he just hasn't gotten it right)
Jeff Green (i thought he'd be better than this right now. he's definitely a matchup problem for a lot of teams but i guess he's the third wheel now out in okc)
Brandan Wright (huge upside and a typical nellie pick. maybe i should've been wary of the guys nellie picks. pretty much hit or miss with all of his picks)
Julian Wright (draft day i thought NO has to take wright here over thornton or they'll regret it. that hasn't been the case at all).

IversonIsKrazy
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I have actually been pretty good with predicting rookie futures. But obviously I miss-called some.

Gerald Green - I saw a lot of potential in this kid.
Micheal Beasley - I thought he would be a 20+ppg 9+rpg 1+bpg by his second season...

Toenail Clipper
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Also...

OJ Mayo is doing his thing lowkey, next season he's going to burst as the next Kobe, just wait!

rabzouz 96
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
i used to think dajuan wagner would become a starplayer.

jrap2
04-02-2010, 11:06 PM
^ that idea sucks

i thought Jay Williams was gunna be nasty then he crashed and that was kinda gay

he had some serious skills. was doing good til all that.

jackdawson
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
starting from 2000
K-Mart (injuries have held him back. he improved every year since he got to the league but got injured too often to keep it up)
Tyson Chandler, Eddie Griffin, Eddy Curry (heart problems or not, you gotta keep yourself in shape and you figure he'd rebound and defend better with those tools)
Caron Butler (he's been good but I expected a lot from him coming out of UConn)
Curly (that one injury set him back, just when he looked like he was getting it finally)
Krik Hinrich (even though I hated the jayhawks I liked his game and despite not having great athleticism he knew the game pretty well and played with a lot of heart. plenty of guys have done great things with average athleticism)
TJ Ford (could've been the blur but that head injury was disappointing. also that fiasco in toronto wasn't good. then again he hasn't taken advantage of where he's been since his toronto days).
Michael Sweetney (I thought he could be a 17+ 10 reb guy in this league and around 20 pts at his prime once he started hitting more shots)
Emeka Okafor (man you're letting me down. it's hard picturing a guy so dominant in college go from the beast he was to just a role player. i thought he would be an all star at least)
Josh Childress (sure he's damn skinny but he had skills and a fro.)
Charlie V (my boy he has to be a star)
Tyrus Thomas (athleticism to boot i guess it wasn't meant to be. i thought he'd be something special after that lsu run)
Saer Sene (yes him. I was really hoping he'd fall to the nets. I thought he would be like dwight howard and develop into a beast despite being very raw)
Marcus Williams (fatty can't keep his head straight. he was supposed to be a premier pg.)
Yi (had the frame and the mechanics to get it right. how things have gone so wrong).
Mike Conley (athlete background. the physical traits are there. he just hasn't gotten it right)
Jeff Green (i thought he'd be better than this right now. he's definitely a matchup problem for a lot of teams but i guess he's the third wheel now out in okc)
Brandan Wright (huge upside and a typical nellie pick. maybe i should've been wary of the guys nellie picks. pretty much hit or miss with all of his picks)
Julian Wright (draft day i thought NO has to take wright here over thornton or they'll regret it. that hasn't been the case at all).

Looks very messed up. You know I checked if there was still a space button on my keyboard after seeing this. Jezz!!

Ragun
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
joey graham.

nuggetsyankees
04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Michael Beasley - thought him and Wade would be a killer duo and they'd both be all-stars...guess not

td0tsfinest
04-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I really thought Thaddeus would be better than he is right now but the guy is relatively young (my age)

Also, Brandon Wright, I thought he would be a star in this league as well. Again, he is relatively young, so we'll see what he can do next year.

tredigs
04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
oden-thought he was going to be an all time great center,and bring the position back into vogue...

I'm not ready to write him off. Gotta remember he's still only 22. That's the age most of the great centers entered the league. I'm willing to give the poor bastard one more chance before I think it's a lost cause. If he can get healthy, and Thabeet and Ibaka in OKC can refine their games over the summer, we'll finally have some true bigs to battle for rebounding / block titles again. This business of 2.7 blks leading the league ain't flying for me. I want some real shot blockers back in the NBA.

Ovratd1up
04-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Anthony Randolph and OJ Mayo, though both still have the chance to be stars, OJ maybe more. I thought Jennings already was a star this year.

kblo247
04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
The trio with the body but no brains or work ethic:

Darius Miles
Tim Thomas
Kwame Brown

jrodmesche
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
I feel bad for Kwame Brown for the rest of his career he is going to be known as the dissapointment, and whenever he is mentioned it will never be without the word Bust in the same line haha.

0nekhmer
04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I thought Hedo Turkoglu would become an All star after joining the Raps. Boy was I wrong.. actually he can be an all star.. in the d league

Famous6
04-03-2010, 12:05 AM
sean may

Covert
04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Sheldon Williams

Sean May

I thought theses guys would be solid contributers to their teams because of their great amateur careers but I've barely heard of them since.