PDA

View Full Version : Are Boston and San Antonio simply just coasting in the regular season?

JordansBulls
04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Are Boston and San Antonio simply just coasting in the regular season?

Meaning just playing good enough to make the playoffs and not start on the road in the opening round (in Boston's case) and just get healthy for the heavy hitting teams? Or are both teams really just finished?

JermanJaysFan
04-01-2010, 12:54 PM
No, both teams IS not coasting.

But actually, I doubt it. Or if they is, its not going to work. There are a couple teams in each conference that will surely put either team out in a series.

Sadds The Gr8
04-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I was thinking this exact same thing. I think Boston probably is because they have their spot solidified, and know they can win on the road in the playoffs. They pretty much know what they are.

But I think San Antonio is actually trying, but they just aren't that good. The fact that they aren't even resting Duncan as much as they did last year proves it. RJ has been a huge disappointment, and Parker is injured now, so it's gonna be hard for them to avoid 8th spot and LA the last several games.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Don't see why you would want to coast to the 8th seed only to play the Lakers 1st round.

TheRazorboy
04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Not so much coasting as puttering around on their Rascals.

Raph12
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Spurs are resting their older guys a lot, but still fighting for a playoff spot so when they are on the floor, they play hard.

The Celts are trying, but they're no longer that dominant force anymore, you don't get as pissed as KG did yesterday if you're coasting.

ShockerArt
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't see either team doing much damage in the playoffs.

sep11ie
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Not coasting, just showing their age and wear and tear. I IS pretty sure guys like Duncan, Manu, Ray Allen, (hate to say it but KG and Pierce) don't just coast.

DCB/LAL
04-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Really you think SA wants to play LAL in the first round especiallt considering their history against the Lakers in the Playoffs? Their not coasting I can tell you that much.

CowboysKB24
04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
They both will put up a fight, but I don't think either team makes it past the second round.

Avenged
04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
They might be, but the Spurs don't have the all around talent to compete with the top 2 in the west or top 2 out east.

Giraffes Rule
04-01-2010, 02:42 PM
They might be, but the Spurs don't have the all around talent to compete with the top 2 in the west or top 2 out east.

They beat the Cavs last friday...

JordansBulls
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Don't see why you would want to coast to the 8th seed only to play the Lakers 1st round.

Because last year both teams were the #2 and #3 seeds and both teams ended up losing with HCA because they were missing a star player. I think being healthy is the key for these teams. SA knows they have to go through LA anyway as Boston knows it will have to probably beat Cleveland and Orlando. So both teams would probably rather be healthy and just make the playoffs than wear themselves out and have another injury in the playoffs.

Avenged
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
They beat the Cavs last friday...

So? you think the Spurs can beat the Cavs in a 7 game series because they won last friday?

Joshtd1
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Actually we do have the talent. Coaching and chemistry is the real question if we can win or not.

Joshtd1
04-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Coasting..no they arent. Injuries (just like every other team, I know) is a big reason, and then the fact we had like 7 new players adjusting to the team also hasnt helped. When the Spurs are clicking, they are damn hard to beat.

I would expect them to be better next year with RJ and Dice and Blair getting used to the system.

FWIW I dont want to see the Lakers in the 1st round..but anything is possible. Lakers are 11-10 their last 21 games..and if Bynum doesnt return for them, and Parker (who will be back) returns.....Spurs could give them a run for their money. Make it atlesat a tough series for them.

Avenged
04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Coasting..no they arent. Injuries (just like every other team, I know) is a big reason, and then the fact we had like 7 new players adjusting to the team also hasnt helped. When the Spurs are clicking, they are damn hard to beat.

I would expect them to be better next year with RJ and Dice and Blair getting used to the system.

FWIW I dont want to see the Lakers in the 1st round..but anything is possible. Lakers are 11-10 their last 21 games..and if Bynum doesnt return for them, and Parker (who will be back) returns.....Spurs could give them a run for their money. Make it atlesat a tough series for them.

I agree. Lakers cant stop point guards for some reason.

mikantsass
04-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree. Lakers cant stop point guards for some reason.

Because their own PG's are bad.

Coasting, ummm i'm not so sure. I think it is tough for these older teams to gear up mentally and physically for stretches of 3 games in 4 nights, 5 games road trips, back to backs, etc....

Playoffs are a different animal. There are always day(s) off between games

heathonater
04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
if the spurs are coasting, they are going to have a difficult time turning up their intensity and beating la. boston is a team that could do well in the playoffs. im still not sure whether they are done or are just coasting towards the playoffs. im leaning towards boston just not being as good as they used to be.

Corey
04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Boston is obviously not as good as they used to be, but the bench is getting a ton of minutes, and it seems that the starters are getting a lot of rest in stretches lately.

I don't think we're coasting at all - we're still trying to win all of our games - it's just when we start to get outplayed, we say **** it.

We win almost every first half, and then lose it in the third quarter.

tjlipford
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm tired of all this "these teams are just coasting til the playoffs". No these teams are not. How are the spurs coasting when they are 8th seed and will face LA in the first round and as a result will have an early exit. There run is over period.

Boston loses to all the top teams and there heart & soul is a mummy now. They are losing because they are old and it happens to every player. They won't win anything this year and from the looks of it they will be playing Cleveland in the second round and that will result in another 2nd round exit.

So now these teams are just old and there time is over. People need to realize it and stop with all these conspiracy theories

albertc86
04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
No, I don't think so. Both teams' top players are on the decline already. However, both teams have great, young PG's. Boston got old quick from one year to another. The Spurs, in my opinion, might be coasting because they might only have one more run in them; this year being their last.

Giraffes Rule
04-01-2010, 08:07 PM
So? you think the Spurs can beat the Cavs in a 7 game series because they won last friday?

Yeah, I do. The Cavs are overrated, imo.

JasonJohnHorn
04-01-2010, 08:07 PM
It does seem like Boston is. Their big three the last couple seasons get less minutes in the regular season than the post-season (Saunders and D'Antonio have both played stars big minutes in the regular season with Detroit and Phoenix respectively and it hasnt paid off for them, so I think rivers is taking a different approach), but with the Spurs, I think the do want at least win their division. Their problems have been to some degree working in new players, to some dregree injury and to a large degree a giant gaping hole at center. I think they could potentially over come that hole at center, but that said, while teams like LA most especially and Denver as well, have great and deep power position (power forward and center) and will be VERY hard for the Spurs to over come.

So...
Boston: Yes, a little
Spurs: No :-( The are legitimatel struggling.

Avenged
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I do. The Cavs are overrated, imo.

I don't like the Cavs as much as the next guy but they have the best record in the NBA, arguably the best player in the NBA. They have all the pieces to win, I don't see how they're overrated but anyway, this isn't a Cavs thread so i'll save this for later. :p

JordansBulls
04-01-2010, 11:04 PM
if the spurs are coasting, they are going to have a difficult time turning up their intensity and beating la. boston is a team that could do well in the playoffs. im still not sure whether they are done or are just coasting towards the playoffs. im leaning towards boston just not being as good as they used to be.

Maybe they want to be the 1st 8th seeded team to win the title.:)

thesparky33
04-02-2010, 12:16 AM
The Lakers have to hate having the Spurs as an 8th seed.

Spurred1
04-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Spurs have had legitimate issues with getting the team going and playing well consistently over a stretch of games. One step forward, two steps back type of games,imo. But from what I've watched, they aren't coasting at all. Injuries have been a serious problem for them-Parker has been a liability for parts of the season with injuries and illness. Always something with him this season. RJ has been a disappointment all around for most of the year. I would love to say they've been slacking off with the intention to turn it on for the playoffs, but that isn't the case.
Boston, I haven't watched enough to say one way or the other. But they've had injury problems also, which affect a team's performance...obviously.

JayW_1023
04-02-2010, 02:48 AM
The Spurs have been playing down to their competition and not asserting their game and dominating. Age is a factor, but also alot of new faces. This is an entirely new team with new faces...it lacks the togetherness of past Spurs teams.

JordansBulls
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm tired of all this "these teams are just coasting til the playoffs". No these teams are not. How are the spurs coasting when they are 8th seed and will face LA in the first round and as a result will have an early exit. There run is over period.

Boston loses to all the top teams and there heart & soul is a mummy now. They are losing because they are old and it happens to every player. They won't win anything this year and from the looks of it they will be playing Cleveland in the second round and that will result in another 2nd round exit.

So now these teams are just old and there time is over. People need to realize it and stop with all these conspiracy theories

It's not like KG and Pierce are 35 or anything.