PDA

View Full Version : Evan Turner to stay one more year?

jmastert
04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Evan Turner is a likely lock for a Top 5 pick in this summer's draft.

He's the Oscar Robertson Award winner for the nation's top college player.

So he's a no-brainer to go pro, right?

Well, one Ohio State teammate is casting some doubt on that.

From Mark Titus on Twitter: "(Turner) hasn't officially decided, but he's hinted to me by saying things like 'We're gonna be loaded next year.'

"He's also hinted by saying 'I'm going to stay for my senior year' and 'I'm not going to NBA this year.'"

If Turner decides to stay for his senior year, a team like the Timberwolves, who might be inclined to select him for his scoring prowess with what could be the No. 2 pick, will have to re-assess their draft options.

This is some BS. If the lottery falls as projected the wolves get screwed over once again. I still think he will go pro, he would be stupid not to.

fadedmario
04-01-2010, 11:58 AM
He'll go pro. Jared Sullinger will be on OSU next year and can flat out play. The last thing Turner will want to do is play with a freshmen that is better than him. That can't be good for your Draft stock.

clutchski
04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
It depends on how much he's enjoying his life at this point (likely a LOT)..and whether money is extremely important to him. Also, he'd be getting a degree if he finished his senior year right?

Raph12
04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
He'll go pro. Jared Sullinger will be on OSU next year and can flat out play. The last thing Turner will want to do is play with a freshmen that is better than him. That can't be good for your Draft stock.

Sullinger can't touch Turner, I've seen both play and Sully is damn good but Turner is great.

Maybe if he could develop his jumper, playmaking and ballhandling, than he could be put up there with Turner, until then, it's not close IMO.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-01-2010, 12:05 PM
This is some BS. If the lottery falls as projected the wolves get screwed over once again. I still think he will go pro, he would be stupid not to.

You're pretty ignorant, Basketball isn't the most important priority in life. What's so "BS" or "Stupid" about a Evan wanting to further his education, and stay in College an extra year to maybe earn a Degree for life after basektball, or if for whatever reason doesn't work out for him in the NBA :eyebrow:

iFYouSeekAmy
04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Good choice.
He worries about his future after the NBA, so why not finish his senior year and get his degree?

Smart kid.

clutchski
04-01-2010, 12:10 PM
You're pretty ignorant, Basketball isn't the most important priority in life. What's so "BS" or "Stupid" about a Evan wanting to further his education, and stay in College an extra year to maybe earn a Degree for life after basektball, or if for whatever reason doesn't work out for him in the NBA :eyebrow:

+1. It's a good idea to finish the degree IMO as you can't ever be sure of your future. Say, he loses a leg via a moped accident in his rookie year. lol.

Raph12
04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Stuff

Love your sig dude... That was a filthy shot.

HouRealCoach
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Personally, I thought it was stupid at first to make players go to college but I think players should stay because imagine if we saw Oden, Turner, Conley, Mullens, Koufos, & Cook on the Buckeyes, Durant, James, Pittman, Augustin on Longhorns, Rose & Evans on Tigers, and my favorite with Wall, Bledsoe, Patterson, Cousins, & Meeks... That wouldve been a tournament I would never want to miss

Romo2Bryant
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I like kids that stay for there Senior year. It's not all about the Basketball career, he doesn't want to end up like S. Pippen. lol

NBAfan4life
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Lets get real with the upcoming labor agreement about to expire and the amount rookies can make about to be reduced he is turning pro

end thread/

Sadds The Gr8
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
If he stays, this will be one $shittyy draft class...

HouRealCoach
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM

No it wont

Meth
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Source?

Eagles4Lyfe
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
good decision if he stays maybe he wants to win that championship like hansbrough before leaving but who knows

CowboysKB24
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Sullinger can't touch Turner, I've seen both play and Sully is damn good but Turner is great.

Maybe if he could develop his jumper, playmaking and ballhandling, than he could be put up there with Turner, until then, it's not close IMO.

x2.

I've seen him play too and I don't think he is going to come out and dominate as a freshman. He needs work with his speed and quickness and body control. Not everyone is going to be 6-5 and under like it was in high school for this kid. He isn't big enough to play as slow as he does.

CowboysKB24
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
If he only has one more year left why wouldn't he just stay and finish it. Unless he is in desperate need of money to care for his family there is no reason to leave to the NBA.

The only thing for Evan Turner is his stock can't get any better, so he just needs to stay healthy and play great ball, he should be fine.

MGB
04-01-2010, 01:57 PM

+1. It's a good idea to finish the degree IMO as you can't ever be sure of your future. Say, he loses a leg via a moped accident in his rookie year. lol.

No offense, but this is a REALLY bad argument. He's got a rare opportunity to make an *** ton of money right now. He can always return to college later in life.

Look at it this way: If he gets in that moped accident this year and can't ever goto the NBA, he gets a degree. If that happens next year, he's got millions of dollars and can still go back to college and get that degree.

Oefarmy2005
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
If he stays, my Wolves would get screwed - if they get the #2 pick of course. Either way, as other people mentioned he could get injured next year or just play bad and loose 2-3 million dollars a year. Now you can do a lot of schooling at home with that money. I say he declares, if he doesn't he screws himself from the financial stand point - unless he's really good in school - which I doubt.

td0tsfinest
04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Your the 2nd pick in the draft? I don't see why you would want to stay an extra year. Unless, he really wants to finish up his education. Then props to him.

Burkey3472
04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I can't blast a kid who wants to stay in college to earn his degree and get a chance to win a national championship. As long as he stays healthy he would still be a top 3 pick in the next years draft.

Draco
04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
There's nothing wrong with thinking there's something left to learn or something left to accomplish (big gamble, financially) but finishing just get a degree he won't use is pointless.

R_O_W_E
04-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Lets get real with the upcoming labor agreement about to expire and the amount rookies can make about to be reduced he is turning pro

end thread/

This isnt the NFL. They already set up a rookie pay scale to give them small contracts, thats not going to change.

defender4m
04-01-2010, 02:22 PM
He already said he wants to finish up his ecucation at Osu and wants to go out with the class he came in with like Diebler, Lighty, and Lauderdale. And plus the starters next year will be dirty. c- Lauderdale/Madsen, pf- Sully, sf- Diebler/Lighty, sg-Buford/Lighty, and at the point Turner. But with all that said money talks so it will be interesting.

R_O_W_E
04-01-2010, 02:29 PM
If he stays, my Wolves would get screwed - if they get the #2 pick of course. Either way, as other people mentioned he could get injured next year or just play bad and loose 2-3 million dollars a year. Now you can do a lot of schooling at home with that money. I say he declares, if he doesn't he screws himself from the financial stand point - unless he's really good in school - which I doubt.

Shows how very little you know.:rolleyes:

If Turner gets injured, hes still a 1st Round Pick arguably Top 15. Kenyon Martin broke his leg in the C-USA tournament and still went #1 to the Nets because of his talent when healthy.

He'd be smart to return and work on his 3 Point shooting, hes improved each year he was in college so I wouldn't doubt he could do that next season. Then when you add in the fact that OSU has a Top 5 class, along with returning other key players from last season and he will have a realistic opportunity to win a Championship. Also by returning for his Senior year, he will go down as arguably one of the best OSU players ever with the likes of Jerry Lucas, Jim Jackson, and Dennis Hopson.

R_O_W_E
04-01-2010, 02:34 PM
He already said he wants to finish up his ecucation at Osu and wants to go out with the class he came in with like Diebler, Lighty, and Lauderdale. And plus the starters next year will be dirty. c- Lauderdale/Madsen, pf- Sully, sf- Diebler/Lighty, sg-Buford/Lighty, and at the point Turner. But with all that said money talks so it will be interesting.

I think Thomas should start over Diebler and Lighty at SF. Thomas averaged 37 PPG in High School and just looked beastly in the MCDAA Game.

Either way that team will be good enough to be a Top 5 team in the country without Turner, with Turner puts them at #1 far ahead of any other team.

Turner's stock wont change by sticking around for a year, hes still going to be Top 5 depending on who is picking and what their needs are.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Every time a player that is a top 5 lock and decides to stay, they'll always get hurt or something. It's nice to see a player that good thinking about staying because college basketball has suffered from good players leaving a little early, but in his case he should leave because he is that good already.

When players like Jrue Holiday, Austin Daye, Jeff Teague, BJ Mullens, and many more like these leave is what makes college basketballl suffer.

defender4m
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I think Thomas should start over Diebler and Lighty at SF. Thomas averaged 37 PPG in High School and just looked beastly in the MCDAA Game.

Either way that team will be good enough to be a Top 5 team in the country without Turner, with Turner puts them at #1 far ahead of any other team.

Turner's stock wont change by sticking around for a year, hes still going to be Top 5 depending on who is picking and what their needs are.

Oh yea i forgot that we had him coming in well that makes us around 8 deep instead of 6 like this year.

carson005
04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
For all the people that blast these one and done college prospects, we actually have someone who might play his senior year, because he actually wants to win a national championship, because he actually cares about OSU...and you guys attack him

J_M_B
04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
It might be a really good decision for him to stay..

Stay in college for your education and to win a national championship..

Rockman
04-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Sorry guys, look at today's date.

Sadds The Gr8
04-01-2010, 03:40 PM

lol

heathonater
04-01-2010, 04:28 PM
we've heard alot of talented players contemplate returning to school. but the reality is that the money he could earn next year in the nba will probably result in him declaring for the draft. he is ready for the pros, so leaving behind his senior year wouldnt be a bad choice. just depends on whether he wants to try to win the ncaa title next year or earn millions next year.

SteveNash
04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
OSU has nothing to offer, he'd be stupid to stay.

R_O_W_E
04-01-2010, 04:35 PM
we've heard alot of talented players contemplate returning to school. but the reality is that the money he could earn next year in the nba will probably result in him declaring for the draft. he is ready for the pros, so leaving behind his senior year wouldnt be a bad choice. just depends on whether he wants to try to win the ncaa title next year or earn millions next year.

He could always make millions next year thats the thing.

I'd rather enjoy being a "kid" for my final year of college rather than going to the NBA a year early, earning millions, but being on the road 24/7 playing for a bad team.

avrpatsfan
04-01-2010, 04:44 PM
He will go pro. He will be drafted 2nd overall or even 1st. You can't give that up.

prodigy
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't think Turner could pass up the money. But if he came back WOW!!! Sullinger, Turner, Lighty, Buford, Dieber, Thomas, few other talented players.

unstoppable.

DodgerBulls
04-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Should the NBA have a mandatory AA to play on the league or let the kids capitalize on millions of dollars on their early departure from college because of their talent?

barreleffact
04-01-2010, 05:13 PM
any student who doesnt go into the draft with a decent shot at making it, let alone a lottery pic, is a ******! the league minimum pays more than your degree would, esp entry level. and the injury what ifs are stupid. even if you get injured you have all the time in the world then to go to school with more money. if they thought women were groupies then, imagine how the women would be groupies then.

WSU Tony
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM

The point of being in college and getting an education as a basketball player is for IF you don't go pro. If you break your leg and your NBA career never happens, it's a fall back.

If you can sign your name, earn millions of dollars, and gain that kind of security for your family and generations to come, finishing your degree is foolish. Why have a degree to make $10,000 more per year when you can sign your name and make 20,000,000?

Hawkeye15
04-01-2010, 08:49 PM
frustration from being eliminated. Once his handlers talk to scouts, he has to come to grips his draft stock gets no better, and he will declare, I am 90% positive

Vinny642
04-01-2010, 09:05 PM
....April Fool's Day..........
Wake up lol

R_O_W_E
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
frustration from being eliminated. Once his handlers talk to scouts, he has to come to grips his draft stock gets no better, and he will declare, I am 90% positive

You mean his mom & dad?

R_O_W_E
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
The point of being in college and getting an education as a basketball player is for IF you don't go pro. If you break your leg and your NBA career never happens, it's a fall back.
The point of being in college as a basketball player is to have a degree that furthers your career after the money dries up. Professional basketball is not a life long career, its a career that can end at any moment and you need something else to offer rather than basketball talent.

If you can sign your name, earn millions of dollars, and gain that kind of security for your family and generations to come, finishing your degree is foolish. Why have a degree to make $10,000 more per year when you can sign your name and make 20,000,000?

You can sign your name and make $20,000,000? I didnt know that $20,000,000 will last you your entire life and will be readily available after 25 years.

Generations to come? How many basketball players have ever been able to leave money for generations? Magic Johnson's kids work, Larry Bird's kids work, Dominique Wilkins' kids work, etc. You think the money a player makes now will still be around after their career for their kids, and their kids' kids to leach off of?

The point of finishing up and earning your degree is not foolish at all. With a degree you set a standard, the longer you wait to finish school, the harder it is. With a degree, Turner actually offers something to any job that hires him because a corporation isn't going to care if you had a 15 year career in the NBA and made more than what your boss made. His boss isn't going to want Evan to jumpshot the quarterly review to another cubicle.

Hawkeye15
04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
You mean his mom & dad?

haha, yes, and his coaches, and any prospective agent he has talked to

masalex1205
04-01-2010, 09:49 PM

?

ldc62
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I always hated him, but you gotta respect that he wants to continue his education (if that is true).

Who do you guys compare him to as a player? I don't see the Brandon Roy comparisons, hes like Trevor Ariza but without the athleticism.

Qdawg
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Can't help him to stay, he's going #2 this year and he may not go that high next year. Harrison Barnes is going #1 if he lives up to the hype, and it's a loaded freshmen class with guys like Kyrie Irving, Brandon Knight, Avery Bradley and Jared Sullinger. That's not even counting Eric Bledsoe, if he stays and gets a full year at the point under coach Cal he could skyrocket up draft boards.

FarOutIos
04-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Good choice.
He worries about his future after the NBA, so why not finish his senior year and get his degree?

Smart kid.

Now I'm all for education... I have two bachelors degrees myself. But if you are REALLY worried about your future after the NBA, you enter the draft NOW. His stock will never be higher than it is now. He will get paid nicely to enter the NBA.

If he gets injured, he has a guaranteed contract. If we wants to go back to school to get his degree, then great. But make the money first. It is ALOT easier to have a successful career if you have money. Many more doors will open if he plays in the NBA.

If he gets injured before signing with an NBA team, he just becomes one of those sad ESPN stories about a player who COULD have become great, but became injured, and now his life goes nowhere...

Qdawg
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I always hated him, but you gotta respect that he wants to continue his education (if that is true).

Who do you guys compare him to as a player? I don't see the Brandon Roy comparisons, hes like Trevor Ariza but without the athleticism.

I think the best comparison would be a homeless man's LeBron crossed with O.J Mayo. He obviously isn't LeBron, but I think his versatility makes him a poor man's king james, and he has a natural scoring ability similar to O.J Mayo, he just seems to find ways to get the ball in the hoop.

D-Will4Prez
04-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Noooo! Turner needs to declare this year because the Jazz don't have a top 10 draft pick next year :(.

runforrestrunx9
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Noooo! Turner needs to declare this year because the Jazz don't have a top 10 draft pick next year :(.

what he said but change jazz 2 sixers.... and for those of you that are calling him a "smart kid" for this, its not that simple... I understand its a good thing to finish your education but what if he gets a career ending injury next year?? His draft stock really couldnt be any higher right now and hes guranteed big bucks...

runforrestrunx9
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM

awesome first post bro

defender4m
04-01-2010, 11:08 PM
what he said but change jazz 2 sixers.... and for those of you that are calling him a "smart kid" for this, its not that simple... I understand its a good thing to finish your education but what if he gets a career ending injury next year?? His draft stock really couldnt be any higher right now and hes guranteed big bucks...

Your 100% right. As much as i want him to stay money talks.

Raph12
04-01-2010, 11:21 PM

1st off, no link so this is probably bs, but anyways, if he had a career ending injury next year, he would go out a get a great job because he has a degree and is famous.

Oefarmy2005
04-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Shows how very little you know.:rolleyes:

If Turner gets injured, hes still a 1st Round Pick arguably Top 15. Kenyon Martin broke his leg in the C-USA tournament and still went #1 to the Nets because of his talent when healthy.

He'd be smart to return and work on his 3 Point shooting, hes improved each year he was in college so I wouldn't doubt he could do that next season. Then when you add in the fact that OSU has a Top 5 class, along with returning other key players from last season and he will have a realistic opportunity to win a Championship. Also by returning for his Senior year, he will go down as arguably one of the best OSU players ever with the likes of Jerry Lucas, Jim Jackson, and Dennis Hopson.

I never said I knew alot. But honestly, think about the difference between being the number 2 pick and number 15. It's 2-3 million a year for four years.

Oefarmy2005
04-02-2010, 12:31 AM
You all make it sound like if he declares now, he'll not get the education. Why not get payed 4 million a year and finish school in the off-season? As I've said, I doubt he'll go higher than two next year, and money talks much louder than a chance to win an NCAA championship.

jmtapia
04-02-2010, 12:33 AM
this would be a very bad move IMO.

Sadds The Gr8
04-02-2010, 12:44 AM
?

If he stays in college, the 2010 draft class will be $shittyy...

Meth
04-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Source?

This.

NBAfan4life
04-02-2010, 12:57 AM
This isnt the NFL. They already set up a rookie pay scale to give them small contracts, thats not going to change.

The rookie scale is not immune to the labor agreement. This thread is pointless I already know he is coming out

JayW_1023
04-02-2010, 02:02 AM
His stock has never been higher. He should declare.

ldc62
04-02-2010, 04:22 AM
^ Agreed. Getting an education is important, but you can take courses in the summer (like KD, Jeff Green and Westbrook) or do it after you retire (Like Bosh is going to do). Hes arguably a top 2 pick, if he gets injured playing in college then that would suck.

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 11:39 AM
You all make it sound like if he declares now, he'll not get the education. Why not get payed 4 million a year and finish school in the off-season? As I've said, I doubt he'll go higher than two next year, and money talks much louder than a chance to win an NCAA championship.

How many players do?

Thats the thing about the NBA, everybody says they're going to get their education but eventually they just end up doing other things. Outside of Shaq, which player has actually took classes to get their degree during their career?

R_O_W_E
04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I never said I knew alot. But honestly, think about the difference between being the number 2 pick and number 15. It's 2-3 million a year for four years.

Hasheem Thabeet: $4,458,840
Austin Daye: $1,677,840

Give or take $8 Million to start off your career, you'll make it back if you're good with your next contract.

td0tsfinest
04-03-2010, 01:18 PM
congrats to evan turner for winning AP player of the year. :clap:

well deserved.