PDA

View Full Version : Updated NBA SRS (Simple Rating System) Rankings

Raph12
03-31-2010, 03:52 PM
SRS (Simple Rating System) - A team rating that takes into account point differential and strength of schedule. The rating is denominated in points above/below average, where zero is average.

I remember Chronz had a thread on SRS Rankings early in the season and back then he was surprised by the Spurs being ranked 5th... Well don't look now but they're still ranked 5th place.

Teams SRS Rankings: (I seperated them when difference is more than 0.30)
1. Orlando Magic (6.72)
2. Cleveland Cavaliers (6.69)
3. Utah Jazz (5.79)
4. Los Angeles Lakers (5.62)
5. San Antonio Spure (4.66)
6. Atlanta Hawks (4.27)
6. Phoenix Suns (4.27)
8. Denver Nuggets (4.23)
9. Boston Celtics (3.89)
10. Oklahoma City Thunder (3.66)
11. Portland Trailblazers (3.19)
12. Dallas Mavericks (2.07)
13. Miami Heat (1.94)
14. Charlotte Bobcats (1.41)
15. Milwaukee Bucks (1.09)
16. Houston Rockets (0.12)
League Average (0.00)
17. Memphis Grizzlies (-0.63)
18. New Orleans Hornets (-1.97)
19. Toronto Raptors (-2.13)
20. Chicago Bulls (-2.24)
21. Golden State Warriors (-3.21)
22. New York Knicks (-3.52)
23. Indiana Pacers (-3.72)
24. Philadelphia 76ers (-3.78)
25. Sacramento Kings (-3.89)
26. Washinton Wizards (-5.04)
27. Detroit Piston (-5.43)
28. Los Angeles Clippers (-5.70)
29. Minnesota Timberwolves (-8.87)
30. New Jersey Nets (-9.41)

This is a great estimate of how good the teams really are and which tier they should be placed in according to schedule difficulty and dominance.

Discuss...

JordansBulls
03-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Nice find. Kinda surprised Orlando is 2nd on that list.

Chronz
03-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Poor Boston, theyve really fallen off

DerekRE_3
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Interesting to see Charlotte and Miami ahead of the Bucks.

tredigs
03-31-2010, 04:34 PM
The most obvious glaring error in the SRS is finding teams like Dallas as being ranked in the middle third of the league. A lot goes into the actual strength of a team going into the playoffs: Mid-season trades, injuries, who's hot, and the unforseen (Nuggets losing Karl, etc).

These rankings aren't bad, but like any supposed objective number rankings as it relates to teams (like Hollingers), they have major flaws.

Raph12
03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
The most obvious glaring error in the SRS is finding teams like Dallas as being ranked in the middle third of the league. A lot goes into the actual strength of a team going into the playoffs: Mid-season trades, injuries, who's hot, and the unforseen (Nuggets losing Karl, etc).

These rankings aren't bad, but like any supposed objective number rankings as it relates to teams (like Hollingers), they have major flaws.

Well obviously, even subjective rankings of players/teams/w.e aren't ever flawless, in this world, nothing is flawless.

avrpatsfan
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Very interesting.

tredigs
03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Well obviously, even subjective rankings of players/teams/w.e aren't ever flawless, in this world, nothing is flawless.

"innnnnndubitably" (<imagine saying it while smoking an 18th century tobacco pipe with your legs crossed).

I wouldn't mind seeing someone establish a BCS style ratings system just for kicks. Something that had an SRS style numbers ratings system for half of the rating, and the other half would be subjective based on injuries, how hot the team is, etc. Not that it matters, but it would be a better mix than what I've seen out there.

Raph12
03-31-2010, 04:54 PM
"innnnnndubitably" (<imagine saying it while smoking an 18th century tobacco pipe with your legs crossed).

I wouldn't mind seeing someone establish a BCS style ratings system just for kicks. Something that had an SRS style numbers ratings system for half of the rating, and the other half would be subjective based on injuries, how hot the team is, etc. Not that it matters, but it would be a better mix than what I've seen out there.

x2... Now that would be interesting.

Chronz
03-31-2010, 04:54 PM

The point remains they are less flawed than ranking teams by win loss records. Of course they dont account for the availability or injuries of certain players, you have to do that yourself.

Dallas deserves to be in the middle third based on their season long performance. They just like Milwaukee may have bolstered their squads with midseason trades to make it moot but thats not a flaw in the system. These are the starting points

SteveNash
03-31-2010, 05:32 PM
The point remains they are less flawed than ranking teams by win loss records. Of course they dont account for the availability or injuries of certain players, you have to do that yourself.

Dallas deserves to be in the middle third based on their season long performance. They just like Milwaukee may have bolstered their squads with midseason trades to make it moot but thats not a flaw in the system. These are the starting points

How exactly is it less flawed then W/L record?

Chronz
03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
How exactly is it less flawed then W/L record?

By measuring HOW you win, not just how often you win.

Draco
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
No real surprises other than the Spurs, perhaps, and yet more confirmation that the Bulls and Raptors are comparable in the regular season.. with the major difference being that the Bulls have room to grow.

JordansBulls
03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Poor Boston, theyve really fallen off

I think they are like the 1995 Rockets honestly. Just waiting for the playoffs.

Hellcrooner
03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
schedule difficulty....

i wonder why just not place TWICE one home and one away to each team thats 58 games make season shorter with less injury risk and fresher legs for playoffs.

The we also knwo how strong is everyone since they play the same number of games against all the league members.,

Raph12
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I just bumped this to say, ORLANDO IS NOW THE #1 TEAM IN THE LEAGUE BY SRS RATING! :clap:

magicdouglas
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Love any system that has Orlando #1