PDA

View Full Version : If Nash stayed on the Mavs...

GodsSon
03-31-2010, 01:28 AM
...Would they have won the title against the Heat in 06 and possibly more?

Mavrix
03-31-2010, 01:30 AM
No because they wouldn't have had Jason Terry, they're only good SG. Remember their starting SG was Adrian Griffin.

RaptorizedKevin
03-31-2010, 01:31 AM
not as good. and welcome back mavrix.

*Superman*
03-31-2010, 01:31 AM
If the Mavs fan said no, then no, next question.

GodsSon
03-31-2010, 01:35 AM
No because they wouldn't have had Jason Terry, they're only good SG. Remember their starting SG was Adrian Griffin.

I think Phoenix Nash (05-07) as a duo with Dirk would have been lethal...I think they would have taken it in 06, and possibly threaten the Spurs in 07

jeter 2
03-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Imagine Mike D'Antoni and Steve Nash on the current Mavs team. They would still have Devin Harris and no Jason Terry, but it would def. be a great show.

jackdawson
03-31-2010, 01:50 AM
simply put, NO.

momoneyyyy
03-31-2010, 02:13 AM
they would have gave any team a run for their money,

mr_relevant
03-31-2010, 02:13 AM
Maybe the 06 title, but definitely not more.

ragee
03-31-2010, 02:17 AM
Don't get me wrong... I loved the duo of Dirk and Nash... They were the ones who turned me back to watching the NBA again... However, going their separate ways was the best thing that could have happened to both of them... Nash blossomed in Phoenix and Dirk learned to make plays for himself after Nash left... Dirk used to be just a catch and shoot guy... Look at him now... He ca do a little bit of everything... He can even play good team defense... Sure offensively, could have been lethal but I don't think it could have been enough to win them a championship... The only time the Mavs were able to go far in the playoffs was when they actually started playing defense...

ragee
03-31-2010, 02:17 AM
Don't get me wrong... I loved the duo of Dirk and Nash... They were the ones who turned me back to watching the NBA again... However, going their separate ways was the best thing that could have happened to both of them... Nash blossomed in Phoenix and Dirk learned to make plays for himself after Nash left... Dirk used to be just a catch and shoot guy... Look at him now... He ca do a little bit of everything... He can even play good team defense... Sure offensively, could have been lethal but I don't think it could have been enough to win them a championship... The only time the Mavs were able to go far in the playoffs was when they actually started playing defense...

_KB24_
03-31-2010, 02:20 AM
Too many if's. We never knew that Nash was going to turn out to be a NBA player or Cuban would have never let him go. The Mavs were good enough to win a title in 06, but they simply choked. Nothing more to it. Sad to see Dirk won't get a ring.

Draco
03-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Too many if's. We never knew that Nash was going to turn out to be a NBA player or Cuban would have never let him go. The Mavs were good enough to win a title in 06, but they simply choked. Nothing more to it. Sad to see Dirk won't get a ring.

He was already very good with Dallas..

Mavericks sources said Cuban was reluctant to give Nash more than a four-year guaranteed contract because of fears the 30-year-old couldn't physically handle playing more than 32 minutes per game.

Mavrix
03-31-2010, 02:33 AM

Thanks for the laugh.

ragee
03-31-2010, 02:35 AM

Won't get a ring? Dude, the guy is still playing! How would you knowthat he won't be getting any rings? Please...

ink
03-31-2010, 02:36 AM
I don't think Don Nelson knew how to use Nash. As soon as Nash got to PHX and had freer rein over the offence his career took off. The mix of talent was just outstanding with the Suns when he returned. Very mobile, athletic big man in Stat, and a rebounding, great defending SF in Shawn Marion who could also get to the rim. Pick and roll all night. Very fast ball movement team. The talent in PHX was just better suited to Nash's skills.

ragee
03-31-2010, 03:00 AM
I don't think Don Nelson knew how to use Nash. As soon as Nash got to PHX and had freer rein over the offence his career took off. The mix of talent was just outstanding with the Suns when he returned. Very mobile, athletic big man in Stat, and a rebounding, great defending SF in Shawn Marion who could also get to the rim. Pick and roll all night. Very fast ball movement team. The talent in PHX was just better suited to Nash's skills.

Very good point... Pick and roll and alley oops all day... The Mavs weren't very athletic before Haywood, Butler, Bueabois and Marion came in...

Chronz
03-31-2010, 03:03 AM
Their best chance was when C-Webb got injured and then Dirk got injured. 2003 was a horrible year for contenders besides the Spurs.

_KB24_
03-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Won't get a ring? Dude, the guy is still playing! How would you knowthat he won't be getting any rings? Please...

The window is drastically closing. If he couldn't win in the peak of his career against less inferior teams, I don't see him winning now with number of great teams aboard.

ink
03-31-2010, 03:46 AM
The window is drastically closing. If he couldn't win in the peak of his career against less inferior teams, I don't see him winning now with number of great teams aboard.

Aren't less inferior teams the same as great teams? :confused:

Spurred1
03-31-2010, 04:28 AM
The word "inferior" means less or of a lower quality-you misused the word entirely, KB24.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inferior

ragee
03-31-2010, 05:32 AM

You got a point but you also got to realize that the Mavs that got beaten by the Heat is not the Mavs that Dirk is playing for right now... I am not saying they are going to take the championship this year... All I am saying is they have a chance... But to say that a player who is not on a decline yet and still playing for a good team is not going to win a ring is just plain homerism...

MacFitz92
03-31-2010, 09:12 AM

That's cute.

Sly Guy
03-31-2010, 09:57 AM

I'd take Nash over Terry any day.

BOSTON617
03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Who cares

td0tsfinest
03-31-2010, 10:24 AM
If the Mavs fan said no, then no, next question.

lol. Can't really argue with that.

ballpd05
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd take Nash over Terry any day.

I would too, but Phoenix offered him too much money... That and you have Devin Harris who was pretty good.

Qdawg
03-31-2010, 12:15 PM
You have to remember how much Nash improved under D'antoni, would he have been that good if he had never left?

momoneyyyy
03-31-2010, 12:38 PM

are u serious dirk could get a ring this year.

thephoenixson28
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
If nash never comes to phoenix he would be only considered as a good PG not a Great PG.

Sly Guy
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
You have to remember how much Nash improved under D'antoni, would he have been that good if he had never left?

I think D'Antoni's influence is be overrated. The Mavs with Nash were also a run and gun team out to outscore their opponents[Hello! Nelly was their coach!], so I think Nash's progression on either team would have been similar.

BALLER71
03-31-2010, 01:03 PM
No because D-Wade would have still taken a **** on them.

Raph12
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Short answer... No.

GodsSon
04-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Bump...Just curious though now, did Nash get booed in Dallas upon his return?

ragee
04-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Bump...Just curious though now, did Nash get booed in Dallas upon his return?

No... Everyone loved Nash... I think Finley was the one who got booed coz everyone took Dirk's joke seriously...

king4day
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Depends on what they would have surrounded the team with.
I don't think they lose to the Warriors with the Suns system though.