PDA

View Full Version : 2003 draft class vs the rest of the decade

Qdawg
03-30-2010, 10:44 PM
In a seven game series between the 2003 draft class and all of the other classes this decade, who wins and in how many games? I'd imagine the lineups looking something like this:

2003:

PG: TJ Ford
SG: Dwyane Wade
SF: Carmello Anthony
PF: LeBron James
C: Chris Bosh

bench: David West, Chris Kaman, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, Kirk Hinrich, Kendrick Perkins, Leandro Barbosa

Rest of decade:

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Brandon Roy
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Pau Gasol
C: Dwight Howard

bench: Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudamire, Caron Butler, Tyreke Evans, Yao Ming, Carlos Boozer

I'd take the rest of the decade in 6, but I really had to think about it, I just couldn't ignore the depth of the rest of the decade. As much as I love the top four from '03, I just think the TJ Ford-Kirk Hinrich PG combo would get killed by CP3 and Deron. However, if '03 decided to play Dwade at the point, move Lebron to the two and and started David West at PF I think that would give the rest of the decade some problems. Overall, I think it's a very close series but I gotta take the rest of the decade.

MTone8788
03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Well to start, put Willie Green on the 2003 roster.

jwn0303
03-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Well to start, put Willie Green on the 2003 roster.

over who?

marvILLous
03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
would make more sense to have it

wade
melo
lebron
bosh
kaman

and not tj ford lol

IRUAM #21
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
over who?

Over Lebron, duh.

Qdawg
03-30-2010, 11:18 PM
would make more sense to have it

wade
melo
lebron
bosh
kaman

and not tj ford lol

If anything West would start at PF and Bosh would move to center, but I wanted to start a true PG.

_KB24_
03-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Rest of the decade by a mile. Paul + Dwight= UNSTOPPABLE.

sargon21
03-30-2010, 11:22 PM
nice job putting butler over drose on the bench haha

runforrestrunx9
03-30-2010, 11:26 PM
over who?

lebron... duh!

iFYouSeekAmy
03-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Normally, I would argue against that, but I saw your avatar and signature.
Therefore, I knew why you posted that comment.
Yeah.. nothing more to say to that.

avrpatsfan
03-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Rest of decade easily.

The Jokemaker
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Rest of the Decade in 7. It'd be a tough series but ultimately I think rest of the decade has the better overall team, especially size wise with Dwight, Amare, Yao, and Pao.

marlinsfan24
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Wade+Lebron+Melo>Howard+Paul+Durant

Therefore, '03 wins

DQL
03-30-2010, 11:36 PM
if there is no bench then I'd say 2003 class. The decade's bench is ridiculous

My preferred 2003 class lineup: Hinrich/Wade/Lebron/Bosh/Perkins. Hinrich and Perkins would give Paul and Dwight hell defensively

Raph12
03-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Paul + Roy + KD + Pau + Dwight = Greatest lineup in the NBA, that team would be able to mesh so well because each players' game compliments the rest of their teammates and no one will need to play out of their element.

Decade in 4 IMO

ldc62
03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Paul + Roy + KD + Pau + Dwight = Greatest lineup in the NBA, that team would be able to mesh so well because each players' game compliments the rest of their teammates and no one will need to play out of their element.

Decade in 4 IMO

But according to Blazer fans, KD and Roy can't play on the same team...

Hardline
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
the 03 draft class is basically the starting lineup for the olympic team plus you could even have Lebron running point. decade is much deeper obviously

Raph12
03-31-2010, 12:03 AM

That's bs IMO, both Roy and Durant are great off-ball players, both can spot up and shoot the ball from anywhere on the court, both can create for themselves and Roy is also great at creating for others. I don't see where the problem is there... :shrug:

Think about it this way, Gasol would perfectly compliment Dwight and their high-low post play would be untouchable, while CP3 is great at penetrating and creating for himself and others, while all are great off-ball players.

It would be the greatest lineup put together that I've ever seen personally, having a couple of top stars on one team doesn't automatically make them better, just ask the 2004 Olympic team.

jackdawson
03-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Are you kidding me????
Wade+LeBron+Melo+Bosh= Nuff said.
NO WAY ON EARTH ANY LINEUP IN THIS DECADE CAN BEAT THEM no matter how you manipulate. It's wont be much fun cz clean sweep series is never fun.

MacFitz92
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
In a seven game series between the 2003 draft class and all of the other classes this decade, who wins and in how many games? I'd imagine the lineups looking something like this:

2003:

bench: David West, Chris Kaman, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, Kirk Hinrich, Kendrick Perkins, Leandro Barbosa

Rest of decade:

bench: Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudamire, Caron Butler, Tyreke Evans, Yao Ming, Carlos Boozer

I'd take the rest of the decade in 6, but I really had to think about it, I just couldn't ignore the depth of the rest of the decade. As much as I love the top four from '03, I just think the TJ Ford-Kirk Hinrich PG combo would get killed by CP3 and Deron. However, if '03 decided to play Dwade at the point, move Lebron to the two and and started David West at PF I think that would give the rest of the decade some problems. Overall, I think it's a very close series but I gotta take the rest of the decade.

I'll start A'mare over Gasol.

Raph12
03-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Are you kidding me????
Wade+LeBron+Melo+Bosh= Nuff said.
NO WAY ON EARTH ANY LINEUP IN THIS DECADE CAN BEAT THEM no matter how you manipulate. It's wont be much fun cz clean sweep series is never fun.

You do know the better 3 of the 4 of those guys were on the team that lost in Athens right, bringing home the bronze. :pity:

obanga
03-31-2010, 12:30 AM
You do know the better 3 of the 4 of those guys were on the team that lost in Athens right, bringing home the bronze. :pity:

le burn.

I think it'd be pretty close. The 2003 is obviously top loaded with superstars, but the the rest of the decade also has some of the best players of the league.

jackdawson
03-31-2010, 12:38 AM

You do know Wade+LeBron+Melo+Bosh also brought the gold medal in '08, right???? You do know in '04 they were only sophomore players, right? You do know LeBron didn't win his mvp award by '04, right? You do know Wade, Melo, Bosh were not the same players in '04, right? You do know Wade was the best player in the gold medal team, right? Want me to go on? (Bottom line: you would argue for the team that contains Dwight Howard regardless of anything, so I could care less).

1. Wade>CP3
2. LeBron>Roy
3. Melo>Durant
4. Bosh=Gasol
5. Perkins<Dwight

Qdawg
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM

Really? They need another point guard when they have deron and cp3? Basketball isn't just about talent, I think they could use a versatile, great defensive swingman who could guard lebron more than a 3rd point guard

Qdawg
03-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Although I will admit that I should have put rose over Evans, that was a brain fart on my part, but thinking about it now I wouldn't have either, I'd have someone like michael redd so they'd have a shooter

momoneyyyy
03-31-2010, 12:52 AM
if there is no bench then I'd say 2003 class. The decade's bench is ridiculous

My preferred 2003 class lineup: Hinrich/Wade/Lebron/Bosh/Perkins. Hinrich and Perkins would give Paul and Dwight hell defensively

what bout carmelo????

NYK_kidd77
03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Just let wade or lebron run point and put kaman in center

DQL
03-31-2010, 01:10 AM
what bout carmelo????

I tried to put him somewhere but couldn't :shrug: A good team ain't necessary consist of great players/scorers. There should be defenders and complementary role players. Plus the match-ups are very important as well. Some of you may put Lebron at PG so Melo can play SF, but I think Lebron should play SF to defend Durant

mr_relevant
03-31-2010, 02:27 AM
Rest of the decade in 7. Deron and CP3 will rape 03's backcourt.

ragee
03-31-2010, 02:52 AM
rest of the decade will destroy the 03 class... Dwight with either Paul or D-Will is too much! Now add in Amare/Boozer to do some pick and rolls to mess up the defense and that spells disaster for the 03 class...

ragee
03-31-2010, 03:04 AM

It's like putting Kobe and Lebron in one team... Sure it sound enticing but both players need the ball in their hands for them to be able to be productive so one will take something out of the other... So, although those two are probably the top two players in the league, it would be better if it is a Kobe and Dwight or Lebron and Dwight duo...

ragee
03-31-2010, 03:10 AM
You do know Wade+LeBron+Melo+Bosh also brought the gold medal in '08, right???? You do know in '04 they were only sophomore players, right? You do know LeBron didn't win his mvp award by '04, right? You do know Wade, Melo, Bosh were not the same players in '04, right? You do know Wade was the best player in the gold medal team, right? Want me to go on? (Bottom line: you would argue for the team that contains Dwight Howard regardless of anything, so I could care less).

1. Wade>CP3
2. LeBron>Roy
3. Melo>Durant
4. Bosh=Gasol
5. Perkins<Dwight

The SF position is debatable... Should be an "=" sign in my opinion...
The PG position is debatable as well... Wade may be a better scorer but D-Will and Paul are better playmakers... Plus, having a true pg in a team makes the other 4 so much better... To make things worst for the 03 class, the rest of the decade has depth...

Oh, sorry for not multi-quoting... too late when i realized i was going to quote multiple responses...

jfin
03-31-2010, 03:11 AM
rest of the decade. Dwight's not an offensive monster but Bosh can't guard him in the post. rest of the decade is too deep

DodgerBulls
03-31-2010, 04:37 AM
This just told us that the '03 class is the best from this decade, again.

jackdawson
03-31-2010, 04:42 AM
The SF position is debatable... Should be an "=" sign in my opinion...
The PG position is debatable as well... Wade may be a better scorer but D-Will and Paul are better playmakers... Plus, having a true pg in a team makes the other 4 so much better... To make things worst for the 03 class, the rest of the decade has depth...

Oh, sorry for not multi-quoting... too late when i realized i was going to quote multiple responses...

No, it is not imo. Wade is the better defender than any guards in the league and both him and lebron plays PG in their teams the whole 4th quarter in every game. So, they are proven ball handlers. Plus both of them are more athletic than cp3/d-will. Wade and Lebron will be too much for cp3/D-will to contain.
I am a big fan of Kevin Durant, but game on the line, I would still go with Melo. And people are overstating Dwight Howard. He might be the best defensive big man in the league, but on the offensive end he is not much of a factor. Plus, Perkins' defense is good enough to contain him. Yes, I agree with you that rest of the decade has more depth on the bench. Still, it's a 48 minutes game and you can't have 12 players play those 48 mintues with fair share of the ball to contribute.

DitchDat
03-31-2010, 04:51 AM
TJ Ford lmao

ragee
03-31-2010, 05:36 AM
No, it is not imo. Wade is the better defender than any guards in the league and both him and lebron plays PG in their teams the whole 4th quarter in every game. So, they are proven ball handlers. Plus both of them are more athletic than cp3/d-will. Wade and Lebron will be too much for cp3/D-will to contain.
I am a big fan of Kevin Durant, but game on the line, I would still go with Melo. And people are overstating Dwight Howard. He might be the best defensive big man in the league, but on the offensive end he is not much of a factor. Plus, Perkins' defense is good enough to contain him. Yes, I agree with you that rest of the decade has more depth on the bench. Still, it's a 48 minutes game and you can't have 12 players play those 48 mintues with fair share of the ball to contribute.

So you are saying that Wade is a better PG than D-Will or Chris Paul? Just to make myself clear, I am not asking who the better player is... I am asking who can play the PG position better...

LeBroom
03-31-2010, 05:49 AM
How dare you not include the Great Darko Milicic! 2nd overall pick in the 2003 Draft!

This is blasphemy!

SirCalvin81
03-31-2010, 06:45 AM
ok weres darko this is bull-**** :D

BOSTON617
03-31-2010, 09:29 AM
How dare you not include the Great Darko Milicic! 2nd overall pick in the 2003 Draft!

This is blasphemy!

this!!!!!!! :clap:

jackdawson
03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
So you are saying that Wade is a better PG than D-Will or Chris Paul? Just to make myself clear, I am not asking who the better player is... I am asking who can play the PG position better...

No, I didn't mean wade is the better PG than them. What I meant was that Wade-LeBron backcourt/ball-handling will simply be too much for any combination of backcourt you can come up with in this decade (I am guessing it would be CP3/D-Will+Roy); plus Wade-Lebron are better defenders.

clehmun
03-31-2010, 12:50 PM

2003:

Rest of decade:

Would you honestly start TJ Ford over Mo Williams, or even Hinrich? or heck even Barbosa!

With Lebron and Wade, you can a PG without any PG skills, and it'd work.

My lineup would be:

Mo Williams
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Perkins

6th Melo

With Kaman, West, and Hinrich getting the rest of the minutes.

Raph12
03-31-2010, 01:27 PM

1. Wade>CP3
2. LeBron>Roy
3. Melo>Durant
4. Bosh=Gasol
5. Perkins<Dwight

You seem to forget some guys on that team... Umm Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Chris Paul!!! They added three Top 5 players onto the squad (not even incuding D-Will, J-Kidd and Boozer) and you bring up Bosh (arguably not even Top 10) saying that put them over the top? GTFO!

And btw, that's not what the lineup would look like:
Chris Paul >>> Mo Williams
Brandon Roy < Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant < Lebron James
Pau Gasol >>> Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard >>>>> Kendrick Perkins

Then you put on the bench:
Deron Williams >>>>> TJ Ford
Joe Johnson >>>>> Kirk Hinrich
Caron Butler >>> Josh Howard
Amare Stoudamire >>> David West
Yao Ming >>>>> Chris Kaman

The All-Decade's 2nd team could compete with your 1st team, while your 2nd team can't compete with the All-Decade's 3rd team.

Layoff the piffs bud.

clehmun
03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
I think another interesting debate would be 1990s vs 2000s.

Billups/Nash
Kobe
Pierce
Dirk
Duncan

that's a great matchup considering those guys are 10 years older.

Beltrans Mole
03-31-2010, 01:49 PM
screw the bench...this is a hypothetical situation, so lets keep it hypothetical. just include the starting 5 from each team. theres no way that a team that consists of lebron, melo,and wade in a starting 5 are losing to anyone. i dont care that dwight howard and pau gasol are on the other team lol. they are not beating 3 of the best 4 players in the entire nba.

JDizzle
03-31-2010, 01:57 PM
rest of the decade in 6

Raph12
03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
I think another interesting debate would be 1990s vs 2000s.

Billups/Nash
Kobe
Pierce
Dirk
Duncan

that's a great matchup considering those guys are 10 years older.

My starting lineups would look more like this:

1990s:
PG - Nash
SG - Kobe
SF - Pierce
PF - Duncan
C - Shaq
6th - Iverson

2000s:
PG - CP3
SG - Wade
SF - Lebron
PF - Bosh
C - Dwight
6th - Melo

We don't know what the prime of the 2000s look like yet, but if they had this game against the prime 1990s team, they'd get whooped.

clehmun
03-31-2010, 02:42 PM
My starting lineups would look more like this:

1990s:
PG - Nash
SG - Kobe
SF - Pierce
PF - Duncan
C - Shaq
6th - Iverson

2000s:
PG - CP3
SG - Wade
SF - Lebron
PF - Bosh
C - Dwight
6th - Melo

We don't know what the prime of the 2000s look like yet, but if they had this game against the prime 1990s team, they'd get whooped.

Well, my lineup is about players in their current state. I don't like "if who and who are in their prime right now", etc.

And my point was, even if the 1990s class are 10 years older, they'd still be a pretty tough matchup if they played today.

I also like Billups over Nash on teams like this because of Billups' defense, and his ability to play well without the ball in his hands.