PDA

View Full Version : NBA Meets March Madness *Round 2* - #4 Zach Randolph vs. #5 Tyreke Evans

KnicksorBust
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
In an effort to combine two of the greatest creations in the world (the NBA and the NCAA Tournament), a new tournament has been created. The top scoring 64 players (per game) of the current NBA season will be facing off head to head to determine the greatest one on one player in the game today.

Coming out of the Eastern bracket:
#4 Zach Randolph (Relevant Info: 6'9/260 | Stats: 20.9/11.8/1.9)
vs.
#5 Tyreke Evans (Relevant Info: 6'6/220| Stats: 20.2/5.2/5.6)

The games will be to 21 points with 1's and 2's and winners ball. First competitor to earn 21 votes will advance to the next round.

(Editors Note: Check http://manathalon.weebly.com/ to enjoy complete updates on tournament results.)

KnicksorBust
03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
This is a strange one. I have to be honest for some reason my gut says Randolph. Always go with my gut.

td0tsfinest
03-30-2010, 10:16 PM
This is a strange one. I have to be honest for some reason my gut says Randolph. Always go with my gut.

all. same here. I love Tyreke's game and he's going to be stud in this league but at this moment, I say Randolph.

mr_relevant
03-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Reke

jfin
03-31-2010, 02:52 AM
Reke. 1on1 games always go with the guard. zbo not quick enough to stay in front of ty

mr_relevant
03-31-2010, 02:59 AM
Reke. 1on1 games always go with the guard. zbo not quick enough to stay in front of ty

LOL I initially read this as "zbo not quick enough to stay in front of the tv"
:D

jackdawson
03-31-2010, 04:27 AM

This. Guard are the winners always for 1 on 1 bcz of their quickness.

KnicksorBust
03-31-2010, 07:05 AM
If Randolph plays off Tyreke and forces him to take jumpers... what's better Tyreke Evans mid-range game or Zach Randolph's post game?

The_Pharouh
03-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Tyreke Evans

alencp3
03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
TyFreak Evans

pebloemer
03-31-2010, 11:57 AM
If Randolph plays off Tyreke and forces him to take jumpers... what's better Tyreke Evans mid-range game or Zach Randolph's post game?

Not so sure it is that simple. Randolph does not have the lateral quickness to stay in front of Tyreke. He'd have to stand incredibly far back to the point that Tyreke could gingerly dribble forward and cancel that out. Players like Wade, Maggette, Tyreke, LeBron, who are great slashers always have people make statements like "defense will force them to take jumpers." I think every TEAM defense has tried that thousands of times and yet, they are still lethal slashers. 1 on 1, there is no way Tyreke has to take midrange jumpers. Either close jumpers or layups.

KnicksorBust
03-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Not so sure it is that simple. Randolph does not have the lateral quickness to stay in front of Tyreke. He'd have to stand incredibly far back to the point that Tyreke could gingerly dribble forward and cancel that out. Players like Wade, Maggette, Tyreke, LeBron, who are great slashers always have people make statements like "defense will force them to take jumpers." I think every TEAM defense has tried that thousands of times and yet, they are still lethal slashers. 1 on 1, there is no way Tyreke has to take midrange jumpers. Either close jumpers or layups.

Fair enough. Just playing some devil's advocate and I actually think Randolph would work Tyreke over down low. None of that matters anymore though because...

Tyreke Evans is the first to advance to the Sweet 16.

DerekRE_3
03-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Teams do that to Tyreke every single game, yet Tyreke gets more shot attempts and makes at the rim than any other player in the NBA, and that's with 4 other guys on the court that can help out. Put Randolph on an island against Reke, and this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa84lqtVAhM

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuL1h8RO-_M&feature=fvw

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdSAlnYei34

KnicksorBust
03-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Teams do that to Tyreke every single game, yet Tyreke gets more shot attempts and makes at the rim than any other player in the NBA, and that's with 4 other guys on the court that can help out. Put Randolph on an island against Reke, and this happens:

I don't watch youtube clips to prove arguments. Jerome James has a highlight mix. That's irrelevant.

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Tyreke Evans

Tyreke Evans on shots at the rim shoots 60.5%. Very Impressive

However if Zach Randolph is able to force him into jumpers...

Shots <10 Feet - 32.5%
10-15 Feet - 37.5%
16-23 Feet - 32.0%
Threes - 37.8%

Randolph's Post Game >>>>> Evans's Midrange Game

DerekRE_3
03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't watch youtube clips to prove arguments. Jerome James has a highlight mix. That's irrelevant.

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Tyreke Evans

Tyreke Evans on shots at the rim shoots 60.5%. Very Impressive

However if Zach Randolph plays off of him look what happens...

Shots <10 Feet - 32.5%
10-15 Feet - 37.5%
16-23 Feet - 32.0%
Threes - 37.8%

Randolph's Post Game >>>>> Evans's Midrange Game

You aren't understanding. It doesn't matter if Randolph plays off of him. Reke would blow by him anyways. There are PG's and SG's that do the same thing...play off Tyreke, and he still goes by them. What makes you think a player as slow as Randolph could stay in front of him even if he gave him space? He'd literally have to play about 10 feet off of him to stay in front of him, and even Tyreke could hit jumpers that open.

And sure, highlight videos don't tell the whole story, but over 50% of Reke's shots are at the rim and less than 25% of those shots are assisted. That tells me that Tyreke can get to the rim by himself at will, and that's with 4 other defenders on the court besides the guy defending him that can help out once he gets into the lane. What do you thin would happen if a slow big man tried to guard him one on one with no help defense? If you watch him play, you will see that as well. The closest player to Tyreke in terms of makes at the rim is Lebron James, and almost half of his makes are assisted. You could argue that Tyreke Evans is the best driving guard and penetrator in the league as a rookie. His one on one game is ridiculous.

KnicksorBust
03-31-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree that Evans should be able to still get to the rim but it is a weakness in Tyreke's game and you can't tell me that he would drive every single possession. He would shoot jumpshots.

DerekRE_3
03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I agree that Evans should be able to still get to the rim but it is a weakness in Tyreke's game and you can't tell me that he would drive every single possession. He would shoot jumpshots.

Why take a jumpshot when you can get right to the rim? The only way Randolph would have a chance at stopping his drive is fouling him or giving him wide open jumpshots that high schoolers could make.