PDA

View Full Version : Will Lamarcus Aldridge ever bust out?

BlondeBomber41
03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I always hear people talk about this guy like he is gonna be a perennial All Star big man in the league, and I just don't get why.

Yes, he is talented and he is a good player but he has shown no improvement in his game to be able to state he is ever gonna be anything more than a really solid player.

His numbers this year (his 4th NBA season) are almost identical to the ones he put up in his 2nd and 3rd NBA seasons. His rebounding numbers are SLIGHTLY up (7.5 to 8.1), and I'd argue that its mostly due to the fact that he was the Blazers only big man for awhile.

His scoring is actually down from his first two seasons slightly, from about 18 a game to 17.5 a game. I know thats not a significant drop, but the point is that there is no improvement.

He's almost 25 years old so he should start to hit his peak soon.

My question is do you still believe he will bust out and be a true NBA Star (ala Duncan, Garnett, Bosh, Nowitzki, Gasol) or do you think he will always be the borderline but not quite All Star he is now?

Hawkeye15
03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
nope. He seems to have leveled into a player who gets you above average efficiency, around 17 a game, and doesn't rebound very well. He resembles Okafor to me. Was as good as he will get from day 1, which isn't bad, but don't expect him to turn into a top 5 PF.

Fireworld
03-30-2010, 08:07 PM
He hasn't been so far, Why would he be ion the future? I only see him getting better. Solid All-Star.

drobe86
03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
He should make a few all star games before his career is done. I would consider him in that second tier of PF's around 5-8....

DerekRE_3
03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
nope. He seems to have leveled into a player who gets you above average efficiency, around 17 a game, and doesn't rebound very well. He resembles Okafor to me. Was as good as he will get from day 1, which isn't bad, but don't expect him to turn into a top 5 PF.

Do you mean how he has developed as a player or his game?

jimbobjarree
03-30-2010, 08:52 PM
just a taller David West

Kakaroach
03-30-2010, 08:53 PM
He could become better, but I wouldn't bet on it. To me he has always seemed like a 17/8 guy. He can't take control of a game offensively or defensively. He's a still great PF, but no he won't become elite level.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Do you mean how he has developed as a player or his game?

development. Their games dont resemble each other's at all. My bad

DerekRE_3
03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
development. Their games dont resemble each other's at all. My bad

I figured. I'd agree with that comparison.

Benjamanic
03-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Aldridge isn't a physical player and isn't good at getting deep position in the post. He settles for long jumpers and often gets called for using his off arm to hold off defenders when he's trying to get inside. He's not a great rebounder either. He needs more power in his game to be an all-star.

If he were on a running team, he would probably make the all-star team at some point. One of his strengths is that he can run the floor as well as any big man in the league.

Draco
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
I thought the predictions on Aldridge were about being a solid starter.. nothing more.

GodsSon
03-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Without sounding too homerish, I think Bargs will be a better player than him

FlakeyFool
03-30-2010, 10:48 PM
well Aldridge plays defense

SaimoNETS
03-30-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm a big fan of Aldridge. I think he has star potential. I've watched a couple of Blazers games this year and he always impresses me.

The Jokemaker
03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
I see him becoming more of a solid player but more on the Carlos Boozer level than superstar level. Greg Oden coming in next season could change things but who knows.

*Superman*
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Haha. Nice title.

Raph12
03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
You never know, Granger sort of came out of nowhere, but to me Aldridge just seems like a solid starter/3rd option.

Big Quett
03-30-2010, 11:44 PM
I see him becoming more of a solid player but more on the Carlos Boozer level than superstar level. Greg Oden coming in next season could change things but who knows.

I think that is a slight on Boozer. I mean i would take Booz over him in a min. Boozer is not elite but he is pretty damn close. Boozer is a much better rebounder and seems to play with more heart and desire. I might be wrong but it just seems like Booz cares more. Boozer takes over games and as talented as Alridge is he just doesnt do it as much.

And if talent is equal i would always take the player who seems like he cares more

iFYouSeekAmy
03-30-2010, 11:44 PM
He will be a top 1-10 forward if something terrible happens to them.

Other than that, he's not gonna improve.

He's just going to stay consistent, and that's all anybody can ask for.

PlezPlayDKnicks
03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
nope, He is what he is.. And if Greg Oden stays healthy his numbers will only decrease. But he is a great guy to have on any team. I think u could plug him into any team and he'd produce very solid numbers. I would call him a poor mans duncan.

mrblisterdundee
03-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Aldridge needs to toughen up. Considering he played his first season at center, he should be better in the post. Instead, he relies on jump shooting. I think he can do it. Playing him at center more often might improve his post abilities.

ldc62
03-31-2010, 12:03 AM
I can't see him making an AS game in the near future with so many talented PFs/SFs in the West.

mr_relevant
03-31-2010, 02:20 AM
I can see him becoming a valuable piece to a future Blazer championship team. In his prim, I think he'll be good enough to be a top 4-6 pf.

Joshtd1
03-31-2010, 02:46 AM
nope, He is what he is.. And if Greg Oden stays healthy his numbers will only decrease. But he is a great guy to have on any team. I think u could plug him into any team and he'd produce very solid numbers. I would call him a poor mans duncan.

I think thats a insult to Duncan...doesnt have the post game/defense/rebounding Duncan does/did

Joshtd1
03-31-2010, 02:47 AM
To the question, no I dont. Aldridge is a solid player, but I dont think ever will be an all-star. He never really amazed me..shoots way to many jumpers IMO

Korman12
03-31-2010, 03:03 AM
He could end up being an All Star maybe once or twice, in the mold of Gerald Wallace or Caron Butler, but judging from where he started, how old he is and his overall development, he seems to me in the same tier as someone like Andre Iguodala and Jeff Green; solid all-around players that have a limit on their offensive production.

ldc62
03-31-2010, 03:13 AM
He takes too many jumpers. When he posts up hes pretty efficient.

FarOutIos
03-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Many of these players aren't really putting in the effort to become great players. You can tell by their attitude that they are not serious about their job. It comes to easy.

I don't know if that is what he is going thru... I don't watch enough blazer games to fully tell. But as a Kings fan, I see it with Jason Thompson. If you are going to succeed in the NBA as a PF/C you should also hit the weight room and have noticeable muscle definition and increased strength. The difference is most visible when Jason is in the paint.

When he gets fouled, he seldom completes the play for a three point play. The great big men finish the plays, even when fouled. This discourages teams from fouling them down low, and increases the amount of uncontested shots in the paint.

From an outsiders guess... I think Lamarcus is a similar player.

DitchDat
03-31-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't think he really will. I'll tell you this though, he's a big part of the Portland team and that's all that matters.

LeBroom
03-31-2010, 05:41 AM
He may have 1 All-Star appearance, probably as a Reserve if ever the injury bug hits the voted/chosen All-stars again in the near-future. But being an All-Star via Coach's vote? No way. He's too common. Consistent? Yes. But is his game rare? Does he give your team another dimension in the game? Nope. He thinks/wants to be Dirk v.2; but the thing is, he never will be. He's not as good as a Shooter Dirk is. That's the problem with Aldridge; instead of developing his post-up game/inside game, he tends to develop his game in reverse. Instead of developing his game nearer to the basket, he develops FARTHER OUT, away from the basket. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back next season, firing from 3 point land.

What Aldridge is NOW, will be what Aldridge will BE in the Future. Unless he hooks up with New York or Phoenix; he won't average over 21 ppg, and will not be a double digit rebounder.

arkanian215
03-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Aldridge isn't a physical player and isn't good at getting deep position in the post. He settles for long jumpers and often gets called for using his off arm to hold off defenders when he's trying to get inside. He's not a great rebounder either. He needs more power in his game to be an all-star.

If he were on a running team, he would probably make the all-star team at some point. One of his strengths is that he can run the floor as well as any big man in the league.

He rebounds around the same rate as Yi. So I'd say he's a poor rebounder.

Statik1
03-31-2010, 06:39 AM
Seems like he just isn't motivated out there. Lacks the hunger.

Tblaze
03-31-2010, 06:43 AM
Having watched basicly every game the past 2 years, I must say it could go either way.
He really has stretches of dominance and some games when roy was out he really stepped it up. Although I must agree that his greatest weakness (he lacks true strenght which hurts his willingness to go in the paint and bang) hasn't improved a whole lot. But if you would have a body like Oden next to him I don't think he has to... He's more of a finesse player and he's one of the, if not the best, running bigman I've seen in quite a while (they call him L-train for a reason). Being realistic, I think he'll make 1 or 2 all-star games... I still believe he has room to improve and will get better.