PDA

View Full Version : Can the Lakers make it past the Spurs, Nuggets, and Mavericks?

Derick713
03-30-2010, 06:17 AM
As it stands right now the Lakers will have to go through the Spurs, Nuggets, and Mavericks to get back to the NBA Finals. If the Spurs and Nuggets can get healthy by the time the playoffs start it would seem as if the Lakers would have the hardest path back to the Finals of any team. The Spurs and Nuggets are falling in the standings because of injury.

The Lakers will either have to play a Young Blazers team or a Veteran Spurs team that gets Tony Parker back. The Lakers have a hard time winning at the Rose Garden while the Spurs could be a very dangerous opponent if Parker returns to form.

Once the Lakers get past the Spurs or Blazers there is a good chance that they will have to face the Nuggets with a healthy Kenyon Martin. The Nuggets will have revenge on their mind after what the Lakers did to them last year.

If the Lakers make it past the Nuggets they will have to play a Mavericks team that has more talent than in 2006 Finals Team. The Mavericks have the depth, youth, size, shooting, and talent to beat the Lakers.

Miltown34
03-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Right now maybe. This is going to be a more challenging road than the last couple of years. Right now the Lakers don't seem as dominant as in the past and the other teams like Mavs have closed the gap. So maybe it's not as clear as it was in the beginning of the season.

xBLAMEITON24x
03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
yes, the lakers could make it past the spurs nuggets and mavericks,their that talented. the west standing 2-5 are all seperated by less than 2 games so i can see alot teams scrambling around. Today it might look bad for the lakers tommorrow it might be the nuggets or mavs.

king4day
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
yes, the lakers could make it past the spurs nuggets and mavericks,their that talented. the west standing 2-5 are all seperated by less than 2 games so i can see alot teams scrambling around. Today it might look bad for the lakers tommorrow it might be the nuggets or mavs.

Exactly.

...Some of these teams aren't playing well atm. All of these teams have injuries too.
And don't forget the Jazz and Suns. Both playing just as well, if not better, than Dallas and Denver right now.

Raph12
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes, it won't be a cake walk, but they can do it if they want it enough.

BOSTON617
03-30-2010, 10:13 AM
one word

KOBE

anything is possible with him

G-Funk
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
The question is would they have enough gas in the tank for the Finals

Raph12
03-30-2010, 10:22 AM
The question is would they have enough gas in the tank for the Finals

I think the bigger question is, how bad do they really want it?

Jaji
No. That's too many trips to Texas.

Miltown34
one word

KOBE

You could say that with some other super-stars. I mean but everyone needs a solid supporting cast to get there. No one man can do it alone, remember Kobe use to score 32-35 a game and they got bounced in the 1st round. You need a bench and other starters to play well to reach or win the NBA finals because the other team your likely playing has someone who's a comparable supers-star and just as talented team as you.

mr_relevant
03-30-2010, 10:23 AM
They can and they will as long as they remain healthy and determined.

mr_relevant
03-30-2010, 10:24 AM

It's all about desire with this Laker team

RaiderLakersA's
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
You could say that with some other super-stars. I mean but everyone needs a solid supporting cast to get there. No one man can do it alone, remember Kobe use to score 32-35 a game and they got bounced in the 1st round.

Right, but the Lakers have the supporting cast around Kobe. Everyone just needs to stay healthy.

You need a bench...

The bench rotation usually gets shorter during the playoffs.

Sure, the starters will need someone to spell them, but if the game is close, you won't see too many coaches going to the reserves. They usually leave at least their superstars on the floor for long minutes. At least that's the case with the Lakers. That means you'll either have Kobe and Pau on the floor, or Kobe and LO on the floor, or LO and Pau on the floor for much of the game. I could even see PJ keeping using Artest, LO and Pau on the floor for long minutes, if God forbid, something were to happen to Kobe.

BOSTON617
03-30-2010, 10:40 AM
You could say that with some other super-stars. I mean but everyone needs a solid supporting cast to get there. No one man can do it alone, remember Kobe use to score 32-35 a game and they got bounced in the 1st round. You need a bench and other starters to play well to reach or win the NBA finals because the other team your likely playing has someone who's a comparable supers-star and just as talented team as you.

kobe is kobe noone is on his level im a celtics fan i obv dont like him but i respect him anything can happen with kobe on the court lol most clutch player in the league and he got the supporting cast so... kobe

JordansBulls
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
As it stands right now the Lakers will have to go through the Spurs, Nuggets, and Mavericks to get back to the NBA Finals. If the Spurs and Nuggets can get healthy by the time the playoffs start it would seem as if the Lakers would have the hardest path back to the Finals of any team. The Spurs and Nuggets are falling in the standings because of injury.

The Lakers will either have to play a Young Blazers team or a Veteran Spurs team that gets Tony Parker back. The Lakers have a hard time winning at the Rose Garden while the Spurs could be a very dangerous opponent if Parker returns to form.

Once the Lakers get past the Spurs or Blazers there is a good chance that they will have to face the Nuggets with a healthy Kenyon Martin. The Nuggets will have revenge on their mind after what the Lakers did to them last year.

If the Lakers make it past the Nuggets they will have to play a Mavericks team that has more talent than in 2006 Finals Team. The Mavericks have the depth, youth, size, shooting, and talent to beat the Lakers.

I don't think the question should be can they beat them. It should be will they beat them.

wileyisTOFU
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Every year the West's road to the Finals is stacked.

Lets compare the 8 seeds....

West-Spurs ( 44-29)

East- Raptors (36-37)

Lakers will destroy the spurs ,but it will at least be a 1st rd battle where the Lakers maybe lose a game or 2.

Where as the Cavs will analy rape the hell out of the Raptors and more then likely cruise to the ECF without much of a challenge

Kobe2324
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
A lot has been said about the Lakers, yes they are playing bad but only to Lakers standards. Let's not forget they are first in the west without really putting in much effort. This is a team that is expected to win a championship, that is being coached by a guy who knows how to get his team ready for the playoffs and they are sitting around bored waiting for the playoffs to start. I fully believe this team will really step it up come playoff time and that nobody can stop them. Im sure Cleveland would put up a good fight and maybe Denver if they get it together but thats it. If they can finish first without really trying watch out come playoff time this team will be hard to beat.

mr_relevant
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah this Laker team is really built for the playoffs and the clutch moments. I really hope that they'd step on the gas all the way until that championship is secured.

LARaider25
03-30-2010, 12:09 PM
The real question should be, can the Spurs, Nuggets or Mavericks make it pass the Lakers? Answer: Hell 2 the NO!.

showtym24
03-30-2010, 12:26 PM

You dont think the suns have a shot against denver? With HC maybe even?

Avenged
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
The Spurs cannot get past the Lakers in a 7 game series. I'd say the Nuggets were the favorites to do so but now with their injuries I don't think it's possible. Lakers vs Mavs will be one heck of a series though, and see it going 7 games.

tjlipford
03-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Who knows about these lakers this year. Last year they were hungrier and played with more heart. This year they are too inconsistent and I am a firm believer that the artest thing is just not working. Ariza was a better fit.

Everyone thinks they can just flip a switch and just become better than everybody and start knocking down wide open shots and play with more heart and go and win the championship. This is the NBA not playground ball. There are other teams that are hungry and are not afraid of the Lakers.

All these excuses about how the lakers are just bored and all that is getting old. Its getting close to the playoffs and they are clearly having problems.

Now Im not saying that they still cant win but there is a problem going on with that team.

Avenged
03-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Who knows about these lakers this year. Last year they were hungrier and played with more heart. This year they are too inconsistent and I am a firm believer that the artest thing is just not working. Ariza was a better fit.

Everyone thinks they can just flip a switch and just become better than everybody and start knocking down wide open shots and play with more heart and go and win the championship. This is the NBA not playground ball. There are other teams that are hungry and are not afraid of the Lakers.

All these excuses about how the lakers are just bored and all that is getting old. Its getting close to the playoffs and they are clearly having problems.

Now Im not saying that they still cant win but there is a problem going on with that team.

Last year it was the exact thing with this Laker team. I believe it was Kenny Smith who said the Lakers don't deserve to be NBA champions. Sometimes they play with no heart, like if they're careless but hey it worked last year. And the bored excuse, that's Bostons excuse not the Lakers.

People say they can flip the switch in the playoffs because it's happened before. A team that consists of Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Bynum, and Odom, how could you think otherwise?

Teeboy1487
03-30-2010, 01:04 PM
It's just a matter of clicking at the right time. If the playoffs started right now. I would be worried. The lakers have to get it together. They are not on the same page right now. Of course they can beat those teams. It's just a matter of will and desire. How much do they want it? That's the million dollar question.

Young2Kinsler
03-30-2010, 01:10 PM
The Spurs are playing really well right now, and with their experience, there is no reason they couldn't beat LA in the series.

Back to the OP, I think everyone knows the Lakers can beat anyone in a series, much like a few other teams. Right now, I consider them the favorites in any series, but the NBA playoffs are going to be wild in the west this season for sure.

pebloemer
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Can? yes Will? maybe

domz248
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
people really don't understand ... i guess they will remember soon enough:facepalm:

G-Funk
03-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Who knows about these lakers this year. Last year they were hungrier and played with more heart. This year they are too inconsistent and I am a firm believer that the artest thing is just not working. Ariza was a better fit. how are they inconsistent they have been one of the most consistent teams in the NBA.

Everyone thinks they can just flip a switch and just become better than everybody and start knocking down wide open shots and play with more heart and go and win the championship. This is the NBA not playground ball. There are other teams that are hungry and are not afraid of the Lakers. Lakers may not be the hungriest team but they are hungry enought, and Like Kobe said the hungriest doesn't always win the championships or else I would have won em everytime. Skills have a lot to do with it.

How are the Lakers clearly having problems???? Lakers are 8-2 on there last 10 only Cavs havs a better record 9-1

GaSoft16
03-30-2010, 01:37 PM
If Pau Gasol is healthy and ready to go, then yes.

GaSoft16
03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
The Spurs are playing really well right now, and with their experience, there is no reason they couldn't beat LA in the series.

Back to the OP, I think everyone knows the Lakers can beat anyone in a series, much like a few other teams. Right now, I consider them the favorites in any series, but the NBA playoffs are going to be wild in the west this season for sure.

They lost to the New Jersey Nets.

G-Funk
03-30-2010, 01:40 PM

I think that there record speaks for itself

GaSoft16
03-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Didn't the 2001 Lakers win 11 less games in the regular season than the 2000 Lakers, but in 2001 playoffs, they went 15-1 and won a 2nd straight championship?

LALakersKC
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
If the Lakers play with passion, they can beat anybody.. because they always had the talent, but not always the heart

ShockerArt
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Didn't the 2001 Lakers win 11 less games in the regular season than the 2000 Lakers, but in 2001 playoffs, they went 15-1 and won a 2nd straight championship?

They had Shaq. This team isn't going to dominate the playoffs like that. They may win the title, but Denver and Cleveland will be able to push them to 6 or 7 games.

tjlipford
03-30-2010, 02:32 PM
how are they inconsistent they have been one of the most consistent teams in the NBA.

Lakers may not be the hungriest team but they are hungry enought, and Like Kobe said the hungriest doesn't always win the championships or else I would have won em everytime. Skills have a lot to do with it.

How are the Lakers clearly having problems???? Lakers are 8-2 on there last 10 only Cavs havs a better record 9-1
So are u OK with how this lakers team is playing going into the playoffs? I definitely think they will get to the finals but it will not be easy.

To me they dont look dominate as they was last year.

Ariza brought another dimension to them that they did not have and that artest cant bring. Honestly IMO Artest just doesnt fit into that system. He also looks like he needs to lose some weight because he is slow. He gets so many open looks but shoots terrible from everywhere on the court. His FG % is terrible, his threes and FT% are terrible.

When they acquired him they thought he could knock down the open three a little better than ariza but so far what Im seeing is someone who looks a little overrated.

Also Gasol still plays soft and Bynum also plays soft.

tjlipford
03-30-2010, 02:34 PM
They dont have the best talent in the NBA

showtym24
03-30-2010, 02:41 PM
They dont have the best talent in the NBA

More than cleveland

showtym24
03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
And the other 28 teams so i guess i disagree with you.

DCB/LAL
03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Only the Lakers can beat the Lakers. But it def will be more difficult facing all those teams.

Derick713
03-30-2010, 02:47 PM

That was when Shaq and Kobe where young and in their prime. Shaquille O'Neal makes anything possible. The Spurs and Nuggets would be getting back to full strength by the time the playoffs started. The 2001 Lakers were a much better team than these current Lakers. Who in LA would no take the 2001 Lakers over the current Lakers?

Derick713
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Ariza was more than a Defender for the Lakers. He was young enough to make all the energy and hustle plays the Lakers needed. He hit big shots and defended big time players. Artest might do better on Melo and James and yet he might not make the critical inbounds steal. Artest might not hit the open 3.

Ironman5219
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
They better hope they get those teams because if they get the Jazz in any round the Lakers are done. ( hows that for a homer statment! )

ManChild
03-30-2010, 03:00 PM
What will the Lakers FO do if the Lakers don't make it to the Finals?

showtym24
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
What will the Lakers FO do if the Lakers don't make it to the Finals?

1.Make sasha retire
2.Sign ray allen
3.Let farmar walk
4.Sign steve blake

My dream offseason

But no worries cuz we're repeating

:D

Hawkeye15
03-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Could they? Sure. Will they? I am not so sure on that. With Bynum out again, Ariza gone this year, and Kobe another year older, it becomes more difficult as the West continues to be deep. If the Lakers get past the west, the biggest concern for them should be do they have enough left to fend of Cleveland or Orlando. I think Cleveland will rip thru round 1, and have a much easier time with their bracket until they run into Orlando, which I think Cleveland wins in 6. Cleveland Lakers in the finals, Cavs in 6

there you have it people. I already figured it out, the NBA can go on summer break now

Fireworld
03-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Sure, won't be easy though.

RaiderLakersA's
03-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Could they? Sure. Will they? I am not so sure on that. With Bynum out again, Ariza gone this year, and Kobe another year older, it becomes more difficult as the West continues to be deep. If the Lakers get past the west, the biggest concern for them should be do they have enough left to fend of Cleveland or Orlando. I think Cleveland will rip thru round 1, and have a much easier time with their bracket until they run into Orlando, which I think Cleveland wins in 6. Cleveland Lakers in the finals, Cavs in 6

there you have it people. I already figured it out, the NBA can go on summer break now

Truth be told, as predictable as the NBA typically is, they could have foregone the 80+ game regular season and gotten down to brass, sparing us all about a kajillion forum threads in the process. :)

MagicDojo
03-30-2010, 04:06 PM
You say that Artest is playing terrible, but you fail to mention he is shooting a better % 3 than Ariza did last year or this year for that matter. Ariza is shooting 38% from the field, 32% from 3 and 66% ft. Artest is shooting 42% from the field, 36% from 3 and 67% ft. Artest is playing better and playing better defense. And if Gasol and Bynum are soft, why do the Lakers have the number one defense in the league? Is it Kobe and Fisher? Or is it Artest

Ariza shot 50% from 3 in the playoffs. And i said it last year....the Magic had a lot tougher path to the finals going through Boston and Cleveland than the Lakers did with Houston (no Yao or Tmac) and Denver.
They are gonna have a lot more work to do to get back there this year for sure.

SteveNash
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Spurs and Dallas should be easy wins. Only team that would challenge them would be a healthy Denver team.

GoatMilk
03-30-2010, 04:11 PM
they would beat those 3

best case scenario for the Lakers is OKC in rd 1, PHX in rd 2, and Dallas in the conference finals

mikantsass
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
They wont make it if Bynum is not healthy. If Bynum is out then that means Odom has to start. With Odom starting, the Lakers have ZERO bench production. Are the Lakers starters in good enough shape to play 40+ mins a night?

MagicDojo
03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Ariza shot 47% from 3. And who is to say Artest wont do the same thing? Ariza never had shown he could get that hot in his career. And he has not done it again this year. Ariza played the best he had ever played in his career last year in the playoffs. He still only averaged 11pts 4 reb. and 2 assist in 31 minutes. And only had a PER of 14.7 which is below the league average. And that was when he was at his absolute best. People make it out to be as if the Lakers lost a great player. They didnt.

You mean the Boston with no KG? Or the one man team Cavs? No, not tougher, not tougher at all. The Lakers first round opponent Jazz could have beat Boston as they were last year.

hahahahaha ok..if you say so.:facepalm:

mikantsass
03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact they are. Except for Fisher. But every team has their starters play 40 minutes a game in the playoffs. Its not uncommon at all

I know, but it will def be tough to beat the Mavs, Nuggs, and Spurs doing so. Those teams all have pretty deep benches and it will be tought for LA to keep up with a team who is pretty equal in talent but a little more rested.

lakersfan211
03-30-2010, 05:06 PM
if bynum doesnt come back they wont repeat . as a fan of them i hate to say that but its a fact , dont see them beating a healthy nugget or cav team without him .

Avenged
03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
The first round i would expect a 4-0 or 4-1. For the second, 4-2. Now in the WCF that's where the Lakers will truly get challenged. I expect a Mavs vs. Lakers WCF. If Bynum isn't back by then, it's going to be really tough to beat the Mavs. They have 2 legitimate tough centers. Gasol won't be able to handle both.

G-Funk
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
They wont make it if Bynum is not healthy. If Bynum is out then that means Odom has to start. With Odom starting, the Lakers have ZERO bench production. Are the Lakers starters in good enough shape to play 40+ mins a night?
I agree with this, With Luke and Lamar back in the bench, should help the Lakers bench a lot

showtym24
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
The first round i would expect a 4-0 or 4-1. For the second, 4-2. Now in the WCF that's where the Lakers will truly get challenged. I expect a Mavs vs. Lakers WCF. If Bynum isn't back by then, it's going to be really tough to beat the Mavs. They have 2 legitimate tough centers. Gasol won't be able to handle both.

If drew isnt back by then he should just quit basketball

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-30-2010, 05:10 PM
one word

KOBE

Really?

is that why the Laker's were a sub-.500 team when Kobe was surrounded by a buncha bums?

tredigs
03-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Spurs and Dallas should be easy wins. Only team that would challenge them would be a healthy Denver team.

K-Mart's either going to be out completely, or severely hampered in the playoffs. And they need their head coach back. If they don't secure HCA, then Denver is one and done in the playoffs this year. Shame, 'cause they were looking beastly.

Avenged
03-30-2010, 05:12 PM
If drew isnt back by then he should just quit basketball

Ehh, you just never know with Bynum anymore. If he does come back, it will take a while for him to adjust.

Avenged
03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Really?

is that why the Laker's were a sub-.500 team when Kobe was surrounded by a buncha bums?

Considering that team was garbage and managed to take the elite suns to 7 games, i'd say so. Exceeded my expectations that's for sure.

G-Funk
03-30-2010, 05:23 PM
So are u OK with how this lakers team is playing going into the playoffs? I definitely think they will get to the finals but it will not be easy.

To me they dont look dominate as they was last year.

Ariza brought another dimension to them that they did not have and that artest cant bring. Honestly IMO Artest just doesnt fit into that system. He also looks like he needs to lose some weight because he is slow. He gets so many open looks but shoots terrible from everywhere on the court. His FG % is terrible, his threes and FT% are terrible.

When they acquired him they thought he could knock down the open three a little better than ariza but so far what Im seeing is someone who looks a little overrated.

Also Gasol still plays soft and Bynum also plays soft.

Yes im comfortable with this team going into the playoffs, they can beat any team and of course the Lakers aren't going to be as dominant cause they already proved that they can be and to top it off they have a target on their backs. And despite all the **** you are saying about them they are still 3 1/2 games behind the Cavs, witch I know for a fact that if the Cavs were to be in the West they wouldn't have the same record. And Lakers would have an even better record then what the Cavs have now playing in the East.

And say what you wan't about Artest he made us a better defensive team. he's shut down a bunch of All-star players this season and made us the best defensive team and that's what he was brought here to do. With Ariza we were the 13th best defensive team.

And as for the Gasol and Bynum thing, they may be soft or ******* but they still do what they have to do to win it all and they proved it already so I guess it's all good. BTW I think that the Cavs need to worry about the Magic before talking about the Lakers

rapswin98
03-30-2010, 06:04 PM
The Lakers are stuggling and they still have the second best record in the NBA only 3-4 games back behing the Cavs. If they turn it on they will be fine

Bruno
03-30-2010, 06:43 PM
I was hoping Dallas and Denver would have to go at it. That the Lakers would only have to play one of them.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Considering that team was garbage and managed to take the elite suns to 7 games, i'd say so. Exceeded my expectations that's for sure.

Sooo.... Taking a team to 7 games against a team known to fold come playoff time is succesful? and made it right that anything is possible becuz of Kobe?:facepalm:

DCB/LAL
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Sooo.... Taking a team to 7 games against a team known to fold come playoff time is succesful? and made it right that anything is possible becuz of Kobe?:facepalm:

Dont hate on Kobe for ruining your teams and fans dreams of winning a championship....YES anything is possible with KOBE.

Avenged
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM

Since you stated Kobe had a sub-.500 team, a team who was garbage, i'd have to say taking the Suns team to 7 is a great accomplishment.

And what do you mean by "fold"? I was obviously talking about the Suns not the Nuggets.

leftymo
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Can the Lakers get past those? hahah, let's put it another way. There isn't another team in the west that can do it better.

Spurs fans themselves will admit they aren't in the same stratosphere as the lakers. That would be a sweep, 4-1 at worst.

Nuggets mentally appear to be collapsing without their general. They'd give LA the hardest time in the west b/c they bring muscle and offensive firepower that LA sometimes can't defend. The only team in the west the Lakers probably fear are the Nuggets, but LA is still the better team.

Mavs... while they've upgraded their overall talent, it takes a lot more to get ahead in the playoffs. Most of which is toughness, excellence in the half court, and experience together. The mavs have none of that, combined with nobody to guard Kobe or Pau. Their coach is not as good. While the series could go 6, it would be more of a formality, b/c this year's lakers have the tendancy to take games off. (yet still have the #2 record in the NBA)

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Dont hate on Kobe for ruining your teams and fans dreams of winning a championship....YES anything is possible with KOBE.

Logical fallicie.

you just lost tha argument bruh

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Since you stated Kobe had a sub-.500 team, a team who was garbage, i'd have to say taking the Suns team to 7 is a great accomplishment.

And what do you mean by "fold"? I was obviously talking about the Suns not the Nuggets.

what do you mean by, had?

PHX2daDEATH
03-31-2010, 05:13 PM
:facepalm:

Is this really a given? I dont believe in closing threads but DAMN man.. If I had to put money on the Suns and Nuggets first round ..im going with Phoenix.. Nuggets do not have anybody to stop Amare.. Phoenix has been maybe the 2nd best team in the league since the All-Star break.. Denver is just plain LOST and might just drop to the 8th seed by the end of the year..

if Utah and Dallas meet in the second round, im going with Utah.. better coaching, they're core has been together longer and if Dallas has to meet OKC in the first round they are either going to get bounced or they'll be so worn by the second round that Utah will have a cake walk with them..

Just my opinion...and in reality there is still 2 weeks left in the season and i have a feeling the standings wont be same as they are now