PDA

View Full Version : Royals' Direction(s)

Mandrew
03-29-2010, 02:35 AM
I've been going over some of the Royals' moves this offseason and seem to notice a few things.
1. Lack of direction 2. Tightwad ownership 3. The FO gives contracts to older, below average players to become starters

I guess #s 1 and 3 could be the same. In my mind you either sign players like Podsednik,Kendall, and Ankiel to bench players or not at all, especially if you are a young, rebuilding team. So I guess my main problem would be: What direction is the Front Office working toward?

1. Playoffs, and Posednik, Kendall, and Ankiel are the missing pieces. (yup.....)
2. Pray for them to play well and trade them off

I honestly don't see either of these happening. So, in this thread lets talk about possible directions, strategies, and ideas the FO SHOULD be using. Here's mine.

1. Draft well - I know its sometimes hit or miss and painfully obvious, but this is crucial to a young, terrible team.
2. Cut down useless payroll from older players (Meche, Posednik, Ankiel, Kendall, GUILLEN etc...)
3. Play younger guys, but don't rush them
4. Put the money toward younger players, signing a few young, exciting players is what brings marquee Free Agents to teams (and sometimes at lower rates)
5. Stop trading for average players like Betancourt and expect them to be any better. Get real players, even if it costs a good player (like Meche)
6. PRAY Alex Gordon can get healthy and find his stroke

IF we draft really well, I don't see why we couldn't turn this team around in the near future. It kills me to say it, but we may eventually need to trade Greinke to make this happen. He will be expensive, he's young, and he could bring in a ridiculous amount via trade. Just an idea, not for the immediate future.

My main problem is: Direction. And the Royals' Front Office seems to not have any kind of it.

Cooper
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Our draft has been mostly pitching the last few years. Baird allowed the minors to become devoid of any appreciable talent...the cupboard was bare, so to speak. Moore has drafted heavily at pitcher in order to stock the minors with prospects. What he hasn't done is draft any bats or gloves. This is why we don't score runs, or have even an average team BA.

We have a core of young players with a certain amount of promise...we just don't have anything backing them up...yet.

Mandrew
03-30-2010, 04:25 AM
So if all we do is draft pitchers, shouldn't we have some pitching talent someone in the minors? Maybe I just don't know enough about the lower levels, but I haven't really heard anything.
It would be interesting if we could find a list of the Royals top prospects, I'll start looking.
Cooper, are you the only one who shows up in here?

Mandrew
03-30-2010, 04:34 AM
I made a prospect page, check it out!

Cooper
03-30-2010, 10:56 PM
So if all we do is draft pitchers, shouldn't we have some pitching talent someone in the minors? Maybe I just don't know enough about the lower levels, but I haven't really heard anything.
It would be interesting if we could find a list of the Royals top prospects, I'll start looking.
Cooper, are you the only one who shows up in here?

Pretty much so, but i check in almost every day

Mandrew
03-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice, we gotta figure out a way to get some traffic.

Cooper
04-01-2010, 12:01 AM
We normally get a few passers by...maybe they will join us if they see regular discussion going on?