PDA

View Full Version : Why never any mention of a Major Free Agent going to the Thunder

JordansBulls
03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Link (http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/thunder.jsp)

Player 2009/2010 2010/2011
Etan Thomas $7,906,088 N/A
Matt Harpring $6,500,000 N/A
Nick Collison $6,250,000 $6,750,000
Nenad Krstic $5,160,832 $5,543,116
Kevin Durant $4,796,880 $6,053,663
James Harden $4,004,160 $4,304,520
Russell Westbrook $3,755,640 $4,017,720
Jeff Green $3,516,960 $4,455,988
Earl Watson * $3,475,000 N/A
Thabo Sefolosha $2,759,628 $3,000,000
Eric Maynor $1,318,920 $1,417,800
Serge Ibaka $1,120,200 $1,204,200
B.J. Mullens $1,120,200 $1,204,200
D.J. White $1,036,440 $1,108,680
Kyle Weaver $870,968 $935,484
Kevin Ollie $825,497 N/A
Shaun Livingston *$332,868 N/A
Ryan Bowen * $223,564 N/A
Mike Wilks * $176,276 N/A
Mike Harris * $10,000 N/A
Total salaries: $55,160,121 $39,995,371
Total w/o options $55,160,121 $39,995,371

They will be at basically 40 million and they could offer up a 14-15 million deal to someone.

Who wouldn't of Bosh, Wade, Amare, Joe Johnson not want to play with Durant?

HouRealCoach
03-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I believe that they will get Bosh and hopefully they trade Ibaka, Weaver, Draft Pick for Thabeet

This team has only made the right moves in the past

GaSoft16
03-27-2010, 07:38 PM
That would be $19,449,293 in expiring contracts. They can sign 2 guys for 10 mil a piece. This is a good point made by JordansBulls.

ldc62
03-27-2010, 07:38 PM
They will probably need to S&T for Bosh.

Dol-Fan
03-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think the Thunder are incredibly interested to bring in anyone else. From my understanding, they will likely stand relatively pat so they don't overcommit salary for upcoming years..Durant, Westbrook, and Green will all be in for huge extensions in the near future.

ink
03-27-2010, 07:42 PM
No offence to OK fans but that team belongs to the city of Seattle.

Ansy
03-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Their owner is still an X-Factor. Nobody knows at this point if he's willing to take on a 100-mill payroll to chase a championship. If they sign Bosh to the Max, then extend Durant for the max and give healthy extensions to Westbrook and Green, they would be in the payroll stratosphere.

Obviously from a basketball standpoint it seems possible. If it was Paul Allen or Mark Cuban running the team we'd probably assume it would happen. We just need to see what kind of owner OKC has.

iggypop123
03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
they dont have the money for it.

BradyIsTheMan12
03-27-2010, 07:46 PM
They should do it but I hope they do not. They probably want to try to keep their nucleus by extending them which means no big time FA's.

JordansBulls
03-27-2010, 07:46 PM
they dont have the money for it.

If the cap is 55 million then they can offer a 15 million dollar contract.

iggypop123
03-27-2010, 07:50 PM

its also Oklahoma. not quite LA or NY. heck its not even Houston

TheAkronHammer
03-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Its because they don't want to NOT have enough money to resign, Durant, Westbrook, Green and Harden if they keep developing.

iggypop123
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Its because they don't want to NOT have enough money to resign, Durant, Westbrook, Green and Harden if they keep developing.

bingo thats what i mean not enough money.. the max to durant then a lot to westbrook and what about green? i dont think their owner would go to extreme measures to pay everyone

ldc62
03-28-2010, 03:09 AM

But they would have a 2-3 year window before they need to resign West., Green and Harden. So get a superstar, win championships and then either trade the star or trade the guys you don't wanna pay.

^Of course this will almost never happen.

GoatMilk
03-28-2010, 03:16 AM
they cant get a max guy, but i think they can get David Lee

mr_relevant
03-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Probably because they're not considered a big market team

mr_relevant
03-28-2010, 05:15 AM

I wish they could convince him to sign for 10-12m. He'd be a good fit for the team.

jackdawson
03-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Thunders dont need another superstar player. They just need to surround their own superstar with couple of veteran pieces and that will be good enough for them. Why taking shots away from the young fella? Next two "growing" years are very imprtant for Durant. He can make mistakes and be near perfect in two years for ships years to come. For that he will need to be playing just like now for that period. Bringing in anoher superstar won't help that atm. With the money they have they can easily add a veteran big man like Camby and some other veteran pieces according to the need.

mr_relevant
03-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Which is why I think David Lee will be the perfect fit for the team. He does the dirt work, he's tough, and he gets his points off of rebounds.

Kakaroach
03-28-2010, 11:22 AM
They will spend all of that cap money on trying to retain all of their young players. Durant will command a max, and Westy and Green will get paid soon too. Not to mention down the road guys like Eric Maynor, Serge Ibaka, and Thabo.

Carey
03-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Dont expect a big splash, I think Presti will keep financial flexibility and views KD,Westbrook, Green, Harden, Ibaka and Sefolosha(who already has an extension)as the core. I think its much more lkely he makes a trade then signs a big money free agent, he might get someone for a bargain type deal once the markets settles but i'd expect a trade for someone who's contract isnt too lengthy. Presti was considered a salary cap wizard while with the Spurs.

lggydelphia
03-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I'd expect them to sign a veteran starting C to solidify their starting five such Marcus Camby, Shaquille O'Neal or Jermaine O'Neal.

Carey
03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
This is a post i did in the Thunder forum......

And to do a bit of a comparison i'll take the Nuggets for example....they have a payroll of 74 million, they have four big money players...Melo(15 million), KMart(15 million), Billups(12 million), Nene(10 million)....after that they sprinkled in role players....JR Smith(5.5 million), Birdman(3.6 million) and Balkman(2 million)....and the rest of the guys are on rookie contracts, min. deals or vet. min deals

Now to flash forward for this team as a comparison, this is when all their extensions come into play and im giving a estimate of the pay they recieve by then....Durant(18 million), Green(10 million), Westbrook(12 million), Ibaka(10million), Harden(8 million), Sefolosha(3.9 million, already signed). That equals 61.9 million.....Maynor and Mullens have options for about 3 million, maybe sign Weaver for 2 million....thats 69.9 million...fill the rest of the roster out with a few rookie contracts, min. contracts and maybe one more mid level contract type of player and you have a roster.

td0tsfinest
03-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't think they'll get a max guy just for flexibility reasons. But they should go out and get a quality veteran big man. David Lee would be nice but I think marcus camby would be perfect for them.

Corey
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd expect them to sign a veteran starting C to solidify their starting five such Marcus Camby, Shaquille O'Neal or Jermaine O'Neal.

I don't know if they want to go old with a player like that, though...especially the three you mentioned because they are so injury prone these days.

lggydelphia
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Getting a one year rental of a veteran starting C wouldn't effect that situation and could only help them make a stronger run next season.

Giraffes Rule
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM

If they wanted them they should've tried harder to keep em.

Hugbees
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Because next year will have tough decisions on who to keep from their big 3 + Harden. If they spend over the summer, where will the money be, come the following year? Durant will 100% need a max deal, so it doesn't really leave much left for 3 other players. Westbrook is definitely a must keep as well, commanding a respectable price tag(not max). A tough balancing act that will be crucial for the future of the franchise.

Chronz
03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
They should have gone hard after Lee

magichatnumber9
03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
The Thunder can do it. And they have the money and resources to do it. It don't matter that there not in NY or LA.

Sadds The Gr8
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
So they can save $ for their future players. Westbrook, Durant, Green, Harden...

bmac
03-28-2010, 12:52 PM
i think what the thunder should do is sign lee for about 10-12 million then give durant and green extenstions their extentions this year durant max and green around the same as lee. they will have around 40 million commeted to those three guys but then they just have to resign wesrbrook and harden and the other bench players in the next two years. if they dont have enough money i think that they would let harden go even tho he is young high pick pretty good bball player if he is commanding too much money let him go because they have sefelosha signed for 3 million for the next 3 years i think so much cheaper than the 8 plus million harden would command. even if the thunder dont sign someone in free agency they have 2 first round picks to draft some decent bench players for the future on the rookie salary. plus i hear some rumors that they might trade up to try and get aldrich which i think could be a rly nice fit for the thunder. even if they dont do anything i think the thunder r in very good shape for the future and i cant wait till they grow and mature together and be championship contenders for as long as all those players r together

J-Relo
03-28-2010, 01:07 PM
i think what the thunder should do is sign lee for about 10-12 million then give durant and green extenstions their extentions this year durant max and green around the same as lee. they will have around 40 million commeted to those three guys but then they just have to resign wesrbrook and harden and the other bench players in the next two years. if they dont have enough money i think that they would let harden go even tho he is young high pick pretty good bball player if he is commanding too much money let him go because they have sefelosha signed for 3 million for the next 3 years i think so much cheaper than the 8 plus million harden would command. even if the thunder dont sign someone in free agency they have 2 first round picks to draft some decent bench players for the future on the rookie salary. plus i hear some rumors that they might trade up to try and get aldrich which i think could be a rly nice fit for the thunder. even if they dont do anything i think the thunder r in very good shape for the future and i cant wait till they grow and mature together and be championship contenders for as long as all those players r together

Green and Lee both worth 10mln each?

Sadds The Gr8
03-28-2010, 01:09 PM
i think what the thunder should do is sign lee for about 10-12 million

Then what happens to Green? Lee is undersized as 4 already, so he'll get manhandled playing the 5, especially in the west.

eugene
03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Bring Thunder back to Seattle!!

icon1914
03-28-2010, 01:41 PM

But according to David Lee and his agent... he is a max guy.

Chronz
03-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Then what happens to Green? Lee is undersized as 4 already, so he'll get manhandled playing the 5, especially in the west.
Lee playing the 5 wont be a problem on this team, they are already great defensively because of their length at every other position, they can help him out , I dont know much about Krystic but he was a softy in NJ so I doubt hes any better than Lee. So if they can be a good defensive team with him as their 5 then imagine how much better they would be offensively with an elite rebounder and elbow shooter like Lee.

The cap situation is perfect. Say they get Lee for 40/50 M for 4-5 years.

Next year they are still below the luxury tax, the year after that youve got to give Durant the max which should be 12.5M about a 6.5M raise from what hes making in his last year, that just so happens to be how much Nick Collison is makin on the last year of his contract so if they resign him on the cheap or just let him go its a wash. The Thunder have team options for both Harden and Westbrook and a slew of other young players. If they extend Green to 8M (Odom money) or if he continues to improve 10M then they are barely over the tax, which shouldnt be a problem if the team continues its rise to the top after 3 years of elite playoff caliber ball. Its not until year 3 that they have to worry about Westbrook, so I dont know why people are mentioning him. By then Im sure they will have plenty of other options to cut costs. What matters is that youve got to use your cap space while you still have it. You dont save all that cap space for when you need to resign players 3 years down the line.

dtmagnet
03-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Not every ownership group has the money to max out on the cap.

GodsSon
03-28-2010, 01:58 PM
No offence to anyone...but who among the free agent class wants to actually play and live in OKC??

jimbobjarree
03-28-2010, 03:07 PM
cus they'd from being way under the cap this year to a lux tax team in the space of a year when Durant/Green get extended if they add lets say a Bosh at 15 million

Chronz
03-28-2010, 03:27 PM
cus they'd from being way under the cap this year to a lux tax team in the space of a year when Durant/Green get extended if they add lets say a Bosh at 15 million
What are you saying, that teams wouldnt enter the luxury tax to win?

Sox Appeal
03-28-2010, 03:30 PM

They won't have that 15 million after they extend Durant, and eventually re-sign Westbrook and Jeff Green. And they've already said they aren't going to be a tax paying team. So, unless they deal one of their core members, they won't be acquiring a MAX type player anytime soon.

jacquewho?
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Not a big market team.

And so they can have sufficient future money to be able to sign Durant, Green, and Westbrook long-term.

Sadds The Gr8
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
No offence to anyone...but who among the free agent class wants to actually play and live in OKC??

I dunno but certainly more people would go there than Toronto. That's why we have all the euros.

GodsSon
03-28-2010, 03:44 PM
I dunno but certainly more people would go there than Toronto. That's why we have all the euros.

I don't know about that...trade in a world class city, for tornado country...you'd have to be an idiot to do that lol

ManChild
03-28-2010, 03:45 PM
If the the Thunder can replace Kristic with a defensive anchor center (Camby, Haywood, Chandler, etc.), they will become instant contenders.

soonabooma
03-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Don't make stupid statements like that son, you lose credibility. Seriously...don't be stupid. This is OUR team, it always was and it always will be. If you don't have anything meaningful to say, just keep quiet.

As far as free agents go, it all basically comes down to whether or not we can get guys to come here. It's not so much about the money, becuz if we believe it's worth it to bring in a major piece or two, that's a risk our owner will have to take, and I think Bennett understands that. If bringing in a certain player can greatly increase your chances of contending, then you've gotta do it. The question becomes....how do we convince a guy to come here over a place like NY, Miami, Dallas, etc.? We're not gonna beat those places in a popularity contest, we're a smaller market and if that's what it comes down to, we're the odd man out. We've gotta make them understand that we're building something special here and if they value winning and being a part of a close-knit group in a market with great fan support, then they'll strongly consider it. I'm not saying we're definitely gonna get Chris Bosh or somebody like that, but I think there's a pretty good chance we'll bring in somebody pretty solid this summer.

GodsSon
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Don't make stupid statements like that son, you lose credibility. Seriously...don't be stupid. This is OUR team, it always was and it always will be. If you don't have anything meaningful to say, just keep quiet.

As far as free agents go, it all basically comes down to whether or not we can get guys to come here. It's not so much about the money, becuz if we believe it's worth it to bring in a major piece or two, that's a risk our owner will have to take, and I think Bennett understands that. If bringing in a certain player can greatly increase your chances of contending, then you've gotta do it. The question becomes....how do we convince a guy to come here over a place like NY, Miami, Dallas, etc.? We're not gonna beat those places in a popularity contest, we're a smaller market and if that's what it comes down to, we're the odd man out. We've gotta make them understand that we're building something special here and if they value winning and being a part of a close-knit group in a market with great fan support, then they'll strongly consider it. I'm not saying we're definitely gonna get Chris Bosh or somebody like that, but I think there's a pretty good chance we'll bring in somebody pretty solid this summer.

No it was Seattle's team that your owner robbed from them lol...If Bosh said "hell no" to signing in Sacramento, I'm sure he'd say "**** no" to signing in OKC lol

PhillyFan001
03-28-2010, 04:26 PM
The reason none of the big free agents are linked to the thunder because they will not have the money to resign Durant, green, westbrook, who would you rather have Durant or bosh

ManChild
03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
The reason none of the big free agents are linked to the thunder because they will not have the money to resign Durant, green, westbrook, who would you rather have Durant or bosh

Durant.

Baller1
03-28-2010, 05:40 PM

You truly are pathetic. It was Seattle's team. Not OKC's. You really have no idea what you are talking about. There are groups in Seattle still trying to get this team back, even though it's pretty much a lost cause.

Howard Schultz sold us out.
Clay Bennett had full intent to move to OKC.
David Stern is a ***** and decided to make an example out of one of the richest franchises in the league.
Washington Legislation gave up on their people, and sold us out as well.

Stop making **** up, you're so clueless. You're the one making stupid comments and needs to keep quiet.

JordansBulls
03-28-2010, 10:31 PM
If the the Thunder can replace Kristic with a defensive anchor center (Camby, Haywood, Chandler, etc.), they will become instant contenders.

If they got Amare, they would be instant contenders.

mrblisterdundee
03-28-2010, 11:43 PM
I think it's because the Thunder already have one of the top-tier franchise players. It already has a functioning big three. It's playing very well, and going to the playoffs. Oklahoma needs a center, but not a new leader.

soonabooma
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
You truly are pathetic. It was Seattle's team. Not OKC's. You really have no idea what you are talking about. There are groups in Seattle still trying to get this team back, even though it's pretty much a lost cause.

Howard Schultz sold us out.
Clay Bennett had full intent to move to OKC.
David Stern is a ***** and decided to make an example out of one of the richest franchises in the league.
Washington Legislation gave up on their people, and sold us out as well.

Stop making **** up, you're so clueless. You're the one making stupid comments and needs to keep quiet.

Quit your dwelling son. It's over. It's a lost cause like you said. Forget about it. They jacked around and they lost their team, it's as simple as that. You just said it yourself.....they're trying to get the team back. Now how pathetic is it to approach the whole thing with a piss-poor, we don't really care attitude, and then try to act like you care at the last minute when it's too little, too late? How freaking pathetic is that? That's what I call stupid, ignorant arrogance, and I think Stern and the league agreed. No wonder they lost their team. It's our team now, and that's life, so you better get used to it. Quit your crying, you make yourself look stupid. Don't be bitter. Don't be jealous. Sour grapes is no good, so give it a rest son.

Now, onto more important issues. If David Lee can give us the same kind of effort he's giving now, and is willing to buy into the defensive philosophy of course...then I would have no problem giving him a good contract. He holds his own on most nights, even when he gives up size. He plays much bigger than he really is. Put that guy in our lineup and we'll be just fine. Krstic is a hard worker, but he's still our weakest link. At some point, we have to upgrade that position. Otherwise, we might as well start playing Serge Ibaka for about 40 minutes a game in his place, which wouldn't be bad, but we're not gonna do that, so we need to bring in somebody who can do more than Krstic. Whoever that may be, whether it's Lee or a guy like Tyson Chandler. Heck, if we felt he was healthier now, he might be worth looking at again. He'd fit much better on our team than he does in Charlotte. But either way, as long as we add a solid piece this summer, we're gonna be in position to start passing alot of the teams that we're neck and neck with right now. We just need that extra little bit of a presence. Everything that has happened this year has been like a bonus, but next year is where we really need to make some noise, so we need Presti to be active this summer, and bring in some help.

Lindystud36
03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
I see the Thunder making a spash on trade day, moving up to the middle of round one and grabbing a player who will have an impact in a year or two, they have two first round picks, so look for htem to move on up. Or use the picks to aquire a solid vetern with 2 years left on his contract... Marc Gasol or Hasheem Thabeet type of player.

... and disclaimer, Marc Gasol or Hasheem Thabeet have never been rumored in moving, just a functional type of trade of a small market team with two future centers and low income. *** speculation on my part*** but you guys get the idea

JordansBulls
03-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I think it's because the Thunder already have one of the top-tier franchise players. It already has a functioning big three. It's playing very well, and going to the playoffs. Oklahoma needs a center, but not a new leader.

They need more than what they got unless they plan on winning like the early 90's Bulls and just hope guys grow together around their superstar.

StoopidRooky
03-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Who would want to move to backwoods OKC???

mikantsass
03-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Boozer or Lee would be a great fit for them, They could use an inside presence...

masalex1205
03-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't know about that...trade in a world class city, for tornado country...you'd have to be an idiot to do that lol

You know I hear a lot of Raptors fans complain when people bash Toronto because (and I agree with them) they believe that Toronto is a great place.

Yet, I read posts like this and its the height of hypocrisy. I've been to OKC before and its actually a pretty cool place, real underrated. If I was Bosh that's where I'd try to go.

king4day
03-29-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't think the Thunder are incredibly interested to bring in anyone else. From my understanding, they will likely stand relatively pat so they don't overcommit salary for upcoming years..Durant, Westbrook, and Green will all be in for huge extensions in the near future.

This is an excellent point and likley the reason why.
However, if they realllllly wanted to go for broke, then picking up a Bosh or Amar'e would be the thing to do. It would likely seal up a ring at least.
Sign and trade Green for one of those two (to save them from spending too much on a would-be bench player at that point).

Baller1
03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Quit your dwelling son. It's over. It's a lost cause like you said. Forget about it. They jacked around and they lost their team, it's as simple as that. You just said it yourself.....they're trying to get the team back. Now how pathetic is it to approach the whole thing with a piss-poor, we don't really care attitude, and then try to act like you care at the last minute when it's too little, too late? How freaking pathetic is that? That's what I call stupid, ignorant arrogance, and I think Stern and the league agreed. No wonder they lost their team. It's our team now, and that's life, so you better get used to it. Quit your crying, you make yourself look stupid. Don't be bitter. Don't be jealous. Sour grapes is no good, so give it a rest son.

Now, onto more important issues. If David Lee can give us the same kind of effort he's giving now, and is willing to buy into the defensive philosophy of course...then I would have no problem giving him a good contract. He holds his own on most nights, even when he gives up size. He plays much bigger than he really is. Put that guy in our lineup and we'll be just fine. Krstic is a hard worker, but he's still our weakest link. At some point, we have to upgrade that position. Otherwise, we might as well start playing Serge Ibaka for about 40 minutes a game in his place, which wouldn't be bad, but we're not gonna do that, so we need to bring in somebody who can do more than Krstic. Whoever that may be, whether it's Lee or a guy like Tyson Chandler. Heck, if we felt he was healthier now, he might be worth looking at again. He'd fit much better on our team than he does in Charlotte. But either way, as long as we add a solid piece this summer, we're gonna be in position to start passing alot of the teams that we're neck and neck with right now. We just need that extra little bit of a presence. Everything that has happened this year has been like a bonus, but next year is where we really need to make some noise, so we need Presti to be active this summer, and bring in some help.

Don't be bitter? You're a ****ing fool. I lost my team due to a ******* by the name of Clay Bennett buying this team with the intent to move one of the greatest franchises of all time. Of course I'm going to be ****ing bitter...? As for Stern, his resignation is overdue. This guy is a piece of ****, and decided to make an example out of a large market team, and he'll eventually realize how ****ing ridiculous it was to move this team.

You're acting as if you were the reason the team is in OKC now, and you're the genius behind it all. Just shut up, you're clueless on the whole situation.

I don't know how you're going to tell me not to be bitter, because if I weren't bitter at the whole situation, then I wouldn't be a true fan. So therefore it's easy for me to infer that you aren't a true fan of the team, and it will show that OKC can't support a franchise when the team is not a playoff team anymore. And this is when Stern will realize he a dumbass.

Double_R
03-29-2010, 11:08 AM
It's OKC. enough said... What's appealing about the Thunder, outside of some of their players... Nothing... The NBA is a me first, team second league, built on egos and money... I'm sorry Thunder fans, but really, what star wants to be like Durant, under appreciated and under exposed.

Plus, the Thunder want to resign all of their current players at some point and that is less likely if they add some heavy dollars to their payroll.

tdunk21
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
amare or bosh next to durant is scary for the western conf.....

Hawkeye15
03-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Its a valid question. The city itself is not an attraction to players really, but the chance to play alongside Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden, etc, with a GM who has set up nicely their future, has to be attractive to a player like Ginoboli, or Joe Johnson, etc, who are already deeper into their career, and would like to win. The Thunder are 1-2 years from contending, and if they add a key peice this offseason, could be a 55 win team next season.

Jay22Redd
03-29-2010, 12:08 PM
They are a good team already but if they want to be great, they need a great big. Amare or Bosh would be perfect. I believe Durant would be willing to give some shots to go deep into the playoffs and maybe even win a ring. Or maybe he can still get his the way he's growing.

jimbobjarree
03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
What are you saying, that teams wouldnt enter the luxury tax to win?

maybe your right, but its a bit risky to move into a new city and after only 2 seasons skyrocket the payroll up from the 30 millions into the 70 millions. I guess the questions would be can they be serious contenders for a long time, and can they still make money in OKC with a 70mil+ payroll or would it end up being New Orleans Hornets II. IDK, theyre still young, if it aint broke dont fix it, I doubt they'll go out and spend everything they have on a player their progression may not necessarily need.

but then again I'm not an OKC fan so I dont know how deep their pockets are

Famous6
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM
i would rather have haywood, look at the impact hes had on the mavs

GodsSon
03-29-2010, 12:39 PM
You know I hear a lot of Raptors fans complain when people bash Toronto because (and I agree with them) they believe that Toronto is a great place.

Yet, I read posts like this and its the height of hypocrisy. I've been to OKC before and its actually a pretty cool place, real underrated. If I was Bosh that's where I'd try to go.

The difference here is it's fact...Bashing Toronto is generally a result of American ignorance, me saying OKC is an afterthought in tornado country is a statement Americans would even agree with...comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, it's not even close

Chronz
03-29-2010, 12:45 PM
maybe your right, but its a bit risky to move into a new city and after only 2 seasons skyrocket the payroll up from the 30 millions into the 70 millions. I guess the questions would be can they be serious contenders for a long time, and can they still make money in OKC with a 70mil+ payroll or would it end up being New Orleans Hornets II. IDK, theyre still young, if it aint broke dont fix it, I doubt they'll go out and spend everything they have on a player their progression may not necessarily need.

but then again I'm not an OKC fan so I dont know how deep their pockets are
I think your overestimating how much they would have to spend. They wouldnt be in the 70+M area, and they need a decent bigman regardless of how their main players progress.

jimbobjarree
03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
I think your overestimating how much they would have to spend. They wouldnt be in the 70+M area, and they need a decent bigman regardless of how their main players progress.

Your right, Durant will get his max which will be 13.5 million and if they landed a major free agent that would be 14 millionish. Yeah I guess your right considering Durant's max will only be roughly a 7 million increase on the previous cap come next summer, and however much Green pushes for with his extension, I dont know how much he's worth.

JordansBulls
03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Its a valid question. The city itself is not an attraction to players really, but the chance to play alongside Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden, etc, with a GM who has set up nicely their future, has to be attractive to a player like Ginoboli, or Joe Johnson, etc, who are already deeper into their career, and would like to win. The Thunder are 1-2 years from contending, and if they add a key peice this offseason, could be a 55 win team next season.

I'd rather live in Oklahoma City then any other city in the Midwest other than Chicago.

MagicDojo
03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Because it is in Oklahoma, would be my guess. not flaming just saying...Oklahoma.. or Manhattan or LA or Chicago or...

Hawkeye15
03-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I'd rather live in Oklahoma City then any other city in the Midwest other than Chicago.

have you been to OKC? No offense to those that live there, but Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, are all more fun than OKC.

Double_R
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
have you been to OKC? No offense to those that live there, but Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, are all more fun than OKC.

Im with this guy... Players want to play in places where they want to live... That's why teams like LA, NY, MIA, ORL(no state tax in FL), Toronto, etc...

Ok I was joking about Toronto

Hawkeye15
03-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Im with this guy... Players want to play in places where they want to live... That's why teams like LA, NY, MIA, ORL(no state tax in FL), Toronto, etc...

Ok I was joking about Toronto

no I think many players don't necessarily care where they live to a point. But OKC is flat out boring, sorry, I have been there 5 times, and there just isn't much to do.
But the same can be said about many places. I grew up in Minneapolis. I found a ton of crap to do. But would a 22 year old kid with all that money love it? I don't have any idea.
And really, in the end its all about money. If Minnesota is willing to give you $2 million more a year then OKC, you know where he is going

masalex1205
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
The difference here is it's fact...Bashing Toronto is generally a result of American ignorance, me saying OKC is an afterthought in tornado country is a statement Americans would even agree with...comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, it's not even close

Oh I get it, when other people say it its bad but when you say it about where someone else lives then its okay :rolleyes:

At least OKC is in America

GodsSon
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Oh I get it, when other people say it its bad but when you say it about where someone else lives then its okay :rolleyes:

At least OKC is in America

Read the last few posts...even Americans agree OKC is a ****** place to live lol...Of course, everything in America is better; at least you guys might soon be getting socialized medicine, consider that a step in the right direction :D

Hawkeye15
03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Read the last few posts...even Americans agree OKC is a ****** place to live lol...Of course, everything in America is better; at least you guys might soon be getting socialized medicine, consider that a step in the right direction :D

I for one, am totally pumped that the price of goods could soon be as high here as in Canada, even though we aren't being "taxed" for the new health care plan :facepalm:

GodsSon
03-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I for one, am totally pumped that the price of goods could soon be as high here as in Canada, even though we aren't being "taxed" for the new health care plan :facepalm:

The reason things are over-priced here is because the dollar is usually never on par with the American, and when it is, our government and banking system want it's strength to fall to keep American investors coming in; couple that with the fact we hear the excuse that it takes at least 6 months to a year of parity to even see a reduction on the price of items...It's sad really, we have the ability to be a full autonomous nation that is capable of sustaining itself, yet thanks to NAFTA we constantly have to be intertwined with the US...think about it, does it make sense for Quebec to produce a shitload of hydro, sell it to the States, only for us to buy it back?...At least our banks are taking over down there

I never understood why Americans were so opposed to the universal health care model, is it because of the negative connotations that surround the term "socialized"? Yes, your taxes will increase, but if it benefits everyone for the common good then is it really that bad? I prefer paying higher taxes then not having to worry about the figures in my bank account and whether my health insurance will cover me whenever a health issue surfaces...I know the Western world is built on capitalism, but I think it's gone too far in the US

SlayerSantana
03-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I have enjoyed watching the thunder all season but young Mr. Presti has a vision and id have to believe it doesnt involve signing high possibly over-priced talent to long term deals. Although I think they are a joe johnson or bosh away from a final contender this brilliant GM won't risk it. Have faith, this man knows basketball better than 90% of these foolish executives around the league.

Dolphins suck

hvg
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
They don't want to pay a pure scorer who needs the ball a lot (LBJ/D-Wade/JJ) with Durant serving that purpose. They also don't want to pay a PF max money (Amare/Bosh/Lee) since they're probably still hoping Green evolves into a star type talent and at the very least want to give him some more time. That basically leaves the 3rd tier of FAs. I can see them bringing in a bench contributor or a strong defensive presence, but they really have no reason to chase the big fish.

soonabooma
03-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Don't be bitter? You're a ****ing fool. I lost my team due to a ******* by the name of Clay Bennett buying this team with the intent to move one of the greatest franchises of all time. Of course I'm going to be ****ing bitter...? As for Stern, his resignation is overdue. This guy is a piece of ****, and decided to make an example out of a large market team, and he'll eventually realize how ****ing ridiculous it was to move this team.

You're acting as if you were the reason the team is in OKC now, and you're the genius behind it all. Just shut up, you're clueless on the whole situation.

I don't know how you're going to tell me not to be bitter, because if I weren't bitter at the whole situation, then I wouldn't be a true fan. So therefore it's easy for me to infer that you aren't a true fan of the team, and it will show that OKC can't support a franchise when the team is not a playoff team anymore. And this is when Stern will realize he a dumbass.

You're the fool son, and the joke's on you. If you want to be bitter and upset about losing the team, then that's fine, but you better direct it in the right direction. You guys are not allowed to point the blame at anybody other than yourselves. It was your own city that caused it to happen, not some businesssman that wanted to buy a team, and not some commissioner that wanted to be a jerk. You guys had your chance and blew it. Even if you thought you were right, to just brush it all off and think that everything was just gonna blow over and nothing bad would happen is pretty weak. You people are so arrogant and smug to the point of thinking there wasn't a chance in the world that a situation like that could happen to you, are you that spoiled, did you just think you were better than everybody else????...you must have....BUT, YOU WERE WRONG.:clap:

soonabooma
03-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not gonna say OKC stacks up to cities like LA, Chicago, Dallas, Miami, NY, etc becuz it wouldn't be true and everybody knows it.....but to say that there is nothing good about OKC and that it's not a good place to live is just ridiculous and that's a fact. It's one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., and the low crime rates and low cost of living are certainly about as good as you'll find just about anywhere. It's a good place to live and a good place to raise a family. Ask Chris Paul, David West, or Tyson Chandler, and they'll tell you the same thing with no hesitation. If you've been here, then you can appreciate it. If you haven't, then you have no clue. Of course we can't beat some of those other cities in a popularity contest, we know that, but that doesn't mean we can't get some pretty solid guys to come here and join this young team. There are plenty of cities around the league that aren't any bigger or more exciting than OKC, and they've managed to keep good players around and even get some free agents, so we can certainly do the same. It takes good ownership, a good GM, and good loyal support from the fanbase. We've got that. So if players value winning and being in a good place with good fans, then they'll certainly want to take a look at us. If they just values market size and being in a more exciting city then they won't. It's as simple as that. We're gonna get somebody good this summer. We don't have to mention any names. But we ARE gonna bring in somebody solid. That's a promise. So get your popcorn ready.:box:

Hawkeye15
03-29-2010, 08:52 PM
The reason things are over-priced here is because the dollar is usually never on par with the American, and when it is, our government and banking system want it's strength to fall to keep American investors coming in; couple that with the fact we hear the excuse that it takes at least 6 months to a year of parity to even see a reduction on the price of items...It's sad really, we have the ability to be a full autonomous nation that is capable of sustaining itself, yet thanks to NAFTA we constantly have to be intertwined with the US...think about it, does it make sense for Quebec to produce a shitload of hydro, sell it to the States, only for us to buy it back?...At least our banks are taking over down there

I never understood why Americans were so opposed to the universal health care model, is it because of the negative connotations that surround the term "socialized"? Yes, your taxes will increase, but if it benefits everyone for the common good then is it really that bad? I prefer paying higher taxes then not having to worry about the figures in my bank account and whether my health insurance will cover me whenever a health issue surfaces...I know the Western world is built on capitalism, but I think it's gone too far in the US

this is not a political forum, so I will comment on only the bold statement. Um, the U.S. hasn't been a capitalist society for over 20 years. And then some.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2010, 08:54 PM

and when you are already trillions in debt, have a country broke, and falling apart, with jobs being lost everyday, you don't introduce another trillion dollar spending plan for a system to be fixed that is not going to be fixed with goverment interference. Has the US govt ever ran a positive P&L? Why would we trust them to run entire sectors of our economy? Sorry, this will probably get deleted by the mods, but health care reform was necessary. But not the way the US has decided to do it. No worries, most of it will be replealed after the mid terms in Nov.

j37hr0
03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm going to ignore your political baiting, but you shouldn't take pride in the theft of the Sonics.

It will be possible to get good players in OKC, but it won't be possible to get SuperDuper Stars like Kevin Durant except through the draft. I'm a Jazz fan, nobody wants to come play in Salt Lake City. You have that same small market curse Utah does.

HuRRiCaNeS324
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM

:nod: yup

Obviously the Thunder are gonna acquire some pieces here and there to improve the team, but they wont sign a player to a huge contract. They need to save a lot of it for Durant and Westbrook especially.

BradyIsTheMan12
03-29-2010, 09:30 PM
and when you are already trillions in debt, have a country broke, and falling apart, with jobs being lost everyday, you don't introduce another trillion dollar spending plan for a system to be fixed that is not going to be fixed with goverment interference. Has the US govt ever ran a positive P&L? Why would we trust them to run entire sectors of our economy? Sorry, this will probably get deleted by the mods, but health care reform was necessary. But not the way the US has decided to do it. No worries, most of it will be replealed after the mid terms in Nov.

Though this isn't a part of the thread I agree completely with what you just said.

soonabooma
03-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm going to ignore your political baiting, but you shouldn't take pride in the theft of the Sonics.

It will be possible to get good players in OKC, but it won't be possible to get SuperDuper Stars like Kevin Durant except through the draft. I'm a Jazz fan, nobody wants to come play in Salt Lake City. You have that same small market curse Utah does.

But there's gotta be a reason why players have been willing to stay in Utah for years now, dating all the way back to the days of Malone and Stockton. The Jazz have kept some great players around and they are keeping good ones around now. Nobody forced guys to stay there, but they did. You don't ever hear about a guy wanting to leave the Jazz organization unless it's becuz he wants more money or PT, it's never about the market. They're known for having a great fanbase that shows loyal support, and that can always make a difference. We've got the same thing here in OKC.

I'm not saying guys are gonna be throwing themselves at us, but there's no reason why we won't get some consideration from some solid players. I don't see any of our current guys feeling like they want to leave any time soon. Now that they've been here, they can appreciate it, and it's like a brotherhood now. Of course this isn't the most exciting city in the world, but it's no slouch either. We've kinda already taken care of the "build through draft" stuff, now it's time to just add what we can, and I think we're gonna get started with that this summer. If we can just bring in a little help, we can put ourselves in position to be set for many years just like San Antonio was. Presti will work his magic this summer.;)

JordansBulls
04-01-2010, 12:49 AM
I can't believe these guys are 46-28.