PDA

View Full Version : League Wide Opinions On Joe Dumars?

JasonJohnHorn
03-27-2010, 09:53 AM
When Joe Dumars first took over the position of President of Basketball Operations for the Detroit Pistons, the team was in shambles. They were losing Grant Hill, their shooting guard had jsut retired (that would be Dumars himself), and they had seen their young gun Allan Houston sign off to the Knicks a couple seasons before. Just to be able to put up point they even had to trade a quality center in Theo Ratliff for Stackhouse. But soem shrewd moves soon had many around the NBA thinking Joe Dumars was the next Jerry West. The Grant Hill lose turned into a Ben Wallace gain. A league leading rebounder and arguable the best interior defender the league would see between Mutumbo's prime and Howard's emergence. The signing of Billups, which had soem rolling their eyes turned into a steal. Stackhouse for Hamilton helped to bolster the team and the drafting of Prince and Okur had this team back on track, be for the trade that landed Sheed put them over the top.

Flash forward a few years later. Dumars was unable to make a trade to improve this team or clear cap spacee. What cap space he did have he wasted on Ben Gordon and Charlie V., the Darko draft proved to knock a giant hole in Detroit's ability to maintain a compettive team in the long run, and letting Okur go to the Jazz when he could have match the offer put out by the Jazz was a huge mistake since the following season the let their starting center walk away for nothing as well.

This team could have the likes of Wade or Bosh or Melo playing alongside Prince, Hamilton, Okur and Billups, and likely would have been able to hold onto quality vet like Sheed and McDysse had kept a competitive team. Instead they are losing to teams like the Nets and Joe Dumars, rather than admitting this team need to get blown up and rebuilt from the top is suggesting that this team is over .500 when healthy and can compete.

Was that early promise Joe D. showed a matter of luck? Has the promise that garned him respect league wide disapeared only to Joe D. be a laughing stock?

As a guy who follows the Pistons, I like to see the team do well and at least be competitive and I was really hoping that Dumars would turn into one of the better front office guys in the league, but choices he's made since putting together that title contending team have made me cringe.

Thoughts?

And please don't put this in the Pistons' forum, I'm curious to see how fans across the league see this.

smith&wesson
03-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Joe dumars the early years looked like a genius.

joe dumars today looks like an idiot.

he did the whole iverson thing to create cap sapce and ended up signing ben gordon and charlie v ? you have rip as a 2 and you bring in gordon ?? that doesnt make any sence to me.

im split between giving him respect for putting together a team that made the ecf's 6 years in a row or dissing him for messing it up and putting together a team that cant even make the playoffs. when billups was traded the pistons needed to rebuild.

Hawkeye15
03-27-2010, 03:02 PM
You can't get every decision right. He was great at first, some of it was luck, but the Darko draft and Billups trade were horrible. I understand the Billups trade was about sending away a long term deal for a team that just couldn't get over the hump, and needed a change but were in contract problems, but it was horrible.
The Darko draft literally killed his reputation, until he can turn things around in Detroit, which seems a ways off

fairandbalanced
03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
He's always been overrated.....he has gambled his whole GM career. He got Hamilton when Washington was sick of Hamilton and wanted a more reliable Stackhouse, he got Billups because no other team actually wanted to sign Billups to a huge contract, he got Rasheed when every other team was skeptical of Rasheed's character. Yea, the gamble paid off but it could also have been a disaster. This the same guy that passed on Melo (college player of the year) because he has "prince" on his team, he opted for Darko. Almost gave Ben Wallace a fortune before Wallace signed with Chicago, he handed fortunes to an unproven Charlie V and inconsistent, Ben Gordon.

Mell413
03-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Not sure where he ranks as far as GMs go. I didn't mind the Billups deal as they needed to clear cap space. That team was not going to win. I can somewhat understand the Gordon deal. It's the Villanueva one that is questionable. I would say he is above average. The run of 6 straight conference finals and two straight finals is impressive.

cheerio
03-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Pretty much summed up

Kakaroach
03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
He was good until the Billups trade, and then it went all downhill. Gordon and Villanueva were horrible signings.

mzee24
03-27-2010, 04:36 PM
give him another year or 2. This year we will have a top 5 pick in the draft, and the MLE to use on somebody. Who knows maybe we can trade Rip or Tay for a decent bigman (since we are seriously lacking one) and then all of a sudden we will be respectable. Stuckey has a bright future, and if we draft right thats another young peice to the puzzle.

Hellcrooner
03-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Hes been losing it a bit lately but hey his first moves brought them a ring so i thinks its ok.

His main mistake in my opinion was not talking to Brown when they got the second pick.

He could ahve asked him if even if it ws the second pick he was going to act as usual with rookies and not play him at all.

they could have gotten any allstar in a trade for that second round pick.

Brown would have destroyed whoever had been drafted in th spot wade, melo, whatever he just hates rookies.

Giantwarrior
03-27-2010, 04:52 PM
He Missed out on MELO, thats when it all crumbled.

At least he has a Championship to show for it.

shyfly24
03-27-2010, 04:58 PM
whoever thinks dumars is one of the best gm's in the league is all delusional...im a pistons fan..but hes pissing me off...look at all the pointless moves hes done that makes absolutely no sense..

-drafting darko over carmelo beacause he thought tay was a better choice at sf over him.
-firing larry brown after 2 finals trips and one nba title..and the reasoning behind it was that he missed games due to his health problems.
-hiring flip saunders because he thought an offensive coach would do better then what larry brown did for us...
then fired him
-trading not only chauncy..but also mcdyess for iverson.
-thinking so greatly of stuckey to actually start him at pg when hes not ever shown he could be a great pg in this league.
-signed kwame brown and was about to be our starter...enough said
-was about to offer ben wallace around 60 million dollars...who was on a decline and has absolutely no offensive game and cant hit a freakin free throw
-then extending hamiltons contract pointlessly when hes reaching his decline and now is so hard to trade him cause no one is interested cause of it.
-then knowing how the iverson situation turned out...he then signs another player in gordon who is basically the same player as iverson...an undersized shooting guard who cant guard for nothing....he somehow thought it would workout
-then replaces sheed for charlie...a player who has no defense at all...and a player who only wears a mask cause he thinks it will help them win games....its sad when it comes down to players succumbing to superstition to win games.
-hires micheal curry mainly cause the players "respected" him and he thought that would win us games...then fired him
-hires a coach in keuster who never coached a team ever and assumed he would do a good job by his hiring...and will probably fire him soon..cause dumars seems to get a joy off of firing coaches

dude is trying to re-create the 04 pistons
he replaced billups with a player in stuckey who has the same size and strength as billups.
signs back ben wallace.
replaces charlive v so he can stretch the floor and is long just like sheed
and then signs gordon who is a shooter just like hamilton
and then drafts daye and jerbko who not only look like prince but is basically the same player as him

good job joe d

$ NyC $
03-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Villanueva and Gordan have really disappeared this year, he just made those signings for the sake of making a signing.

That team plays with no chemistry and don't have good roles. They have a PG who's more of a combo guard, and need help at Center.

Man, i hope they get their stuff 2gether. I remember i was the only one out of every1 i knew that thought the Pistons were gonna beat the Lakers.

Preuss-is-right
03-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Joe Dumars is better than Kevin McHale at least...Joe was my favorite player as a kid and he did create a championship caliber ball club that was consistant for many years. I'd take a couple championships and WCF's over losing in the 1st round, what was it, like 10 straight years?!

td0tsfinest
03-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Joe dumars the early years looked like a genius.

joe dumars today looks like an idiot.

Word. IMO, it made no sense to get Allen Iverson with the intention of keeping Rip Hamilton. What is more frustrating is after years of building a team around defense you go out and get two guys that don't play D.

ldc62
03-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I would take Dumar's recent blunders if it means getting even 1 championship within a decade.

JWO35
03-27-2010, 10:40 PM
The NBA is a "What have you done lately league". And Lately, Dumars moves are somewhat questionable...Being a Pistons fan, I think Dumars is a good GM. He doesn't always make the right moves(but who does). Even tho I cry myself to sleep knowing we could have had Melo.

Lately not impressive(with a few questionable moves), but overall pretty good...I think people kinda bag on the Billups/Iverson trade a little too much. I mean do you really think the Pistons could have went to the Finals with the same old core? Cleared room for Ben Gordon(liked the signing, hopefully won't have as many injuries next season) and Charlie Villanueva(???).

levignjw
03-27-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm losing faith....