PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard on the verge of making History

JordansBulls
03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
He could be the 1st player to lead the league in FG%, rebounds and blocks for a season and he WILL be the 1st player to lead the league in rebounds and blocks for consecutive seasons. He will also be the 1st player to win back to back DPOTY awards before his 25th birthday. Could be the 1st player next year to win DPOTY for 3 consecutive seasons.

Rebounds Per Game

1. Dwight Howard-ORL 13.4
2. David Lee-NYK 11.9

Blocks Per Game

1. Dwight Howard-ORL 2.8
2. Andrew Bogut-MIL 2.5

Field Goal Pct

1. Dwight Howard-ORL .610
2. Kendrick Perkins-BOS .603

J-Relo
03-27-2010, 08:53 AM
first player to do so, hmm , interesting...

$ NyC $
03-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Good for you Dwight. While people argue and say his offense is limited its impossible to argue that his Defense is anything less than Beastly!!

DQL
03-27-2010, 09:37 AM
it's kinda sad to see Dwight having no competition at all among big men. Leading the league in blocks at 2.8 bpg? Alonzo Mourning at 35 averaged 2.7 bpg in 20 mpg despite playing with 1 kidney. I miss the old days

Ragun
03-27-2010, 10:01 AM
beast

Ray_R
03-27-2010, 10:24 AM
very beast like. GO Dwight and his defense is just superb.

JCboyz23
03-27-2010, 10:27 AM
beast

this

$ NyC $
03-27-2010, 10:39 AM
it's kinda sad to see Dwight having no competition at all among big men. Leading the league in blocks at 2.8 bpg? Alonzo Mourning at 35 averaged 2.7 bpg in 20 mpg despite playing with 1 kidney. I miss the old days

In no way am i trying to downplay Zo's amazing D, but when your job is to get in the game and try to block every shot its easier. Dwight has to control when and when not to go for a block because his team needs him to stay on the floor. Zo could foul out in his 20 or so minutes and know he did his job.

DQL
03-27-2010, 10:50 AM
In no way am i trying to downplay Zo's amazing D, but when your job is to get in the game and try to block every shot its easier. Dwight has to control when and when not to go for a block because his team needs him to stay on the floor. Zo could foul out in his 20 or so minutes and know he did his job.

no I didn't mean to downplay Dwight's greatness either. I just want to point out the quality of competitions Dwight is having. If it's a few years ago, there's no way he can lead the league in blocks at just 2.8. There used to be a lot of players averaging 3+ bpg

Raoul Duke
03-27-2010, 11:06 AM
That is certainly an impressive accomplishment for him to be on the verge of reaching. I'd say something about the dearth of good C's currently in the NBA, but I feel like that's a douchey thing to nitpick about. It's scary to imagine how good Howard could be in a few years.

Maybe people will finally stop bellyaching about how limited his offensive game is, and start appreciating how dedicated and sound he is on the defensive end.

td0tsfinest
03-27-2010, 11:15 AM
That's really surprising. Are you sure Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain have done this yet?

mjqusoldier
03-27-2010, 11:18 AM
^^^Why do you have a Joel Anthony sig?

td0tsfinest
03-27-2010, 11:20 AM

I'm pretty sure you're not referring to me but the guy a few posts up.

Anyways, Isn't it obvious? He's a Beast.

Iodine
03-27-2010, 11:25 AM
That's really surprising. Are you sure Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain have done this yet?

They didnt have that stat back then (blocks)

I know the old NBA stat keepers were **** heads

DQL
03-27-2010, 11:40 AM

bc he's one of my favorite Heat players. Dude is so underrated. He's one of the best defensive big men in the NBA. It's his non-existent offensive game that doesn't allow him to get a lot of minutes to be recognized by the league

Kakaroach
03-27-2010, 12:02 PM
That's really surprising. Are you sure Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain have done this yet? Kinda what I was wondering too.

But its a great accomplishment in all regards. Yeah his blocks aren't that great cuz a few years ago guys like Duncan, Ratliff, and Wallace were all averaging like 3+ a game. But still, that is very impressive.

Raph12
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
He's about to make history yet guys are still downplaying him... Now that's pitiful. :pity:

Raph12
03-27-2010, 01:12 PM

This isn't the old days, there aren't that many true low-post players anymore and the guys slashing to the rim are much more athletic now. It's not easy to get blocks in today's league and especially do it without picking up fouls.

Dwight's a force on defense and even if he doesn't block 3+ per game, he alters more shots than anyone I've seen and he deters players from the basket in the first place.

Btw Dwight started the season avging like 16ppg-11.5rpg-1.5bpg for the first 15 games or so, which really hurt his overall numbers.

*Superman*
03-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Dwight is a monster, what else needs to be said?

I'm glad though, he deserves it.

MJ-BULLS
03-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Id rather have Bogut than Howard. :rolleyes:

jackdawson
03-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Are you f'ing kidding me?? They didnt keep the block records back in the days. I would not be surprised if their career avgs were somewhere between 6-9 bpg ala their Godly 22+ rpg.

Raoul Duke
03-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Are you f'ing kidding me?? They didnt keep the block records back in the days. I would not be surprised if their career avgs were somewhere between 6-9 bpg ala their Godly 22+ rpg.

Agreed. Players that played back in that era often say that it looked like a volleyball game at times because those guys were blocking so many shots.

tredigs
03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Agreed. Players that played back in that era often say that it looked like a volleyball game at times because those guys were blocking so many shots.

hah word. Wilt was a 7'2" athletic freak (won his state high jumping title) who used to block everything in sight, hell he'd even goaltend his own players shots to get points for himself until they made that illegal on him. hahaha

... And Bill Russell by all accounts is the one everyone feared as the best shot blocker.

I do miss the great low post players in this league, though. I really hope Yao and Oden come back strong so we can at least have some competition down there other than... Kaman and Bogut?

Sick achievement by him regardless though, el beasto.

RadiantShot
03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
And here come all of the Dwight hater's trying to take away from his soon-to-be accomplishment. Never get's old.

$ NyC $
03-27-2010, 02:15 PM
no I didn't mean to downplay Dwight's greatness either. I just want to point out the quality of competitions Dwight is having. If it's a few years ago, there's no way he can lead the league in blocks at just 2.8. There used to be a lot of players averaging 3+ bpg

That's true. These Pixie Fairy fouls are ruining the quality of play.

RadiantShot
03-27-2010, 02:23 PM
If Dwight didn't get called for so many ticky-tacky fouls, he'd be averaging 3 BPG+ as well, so I don't see the big fuss.

Chronz
03-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Neat but ultimately meaningless