PDA

View Full Version : Evan Turner pulls a Lebron

Sadds The Gr8
03-27-2010, 12:16 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Video-Evan-Turner-blocked-at-the-buzzer-did-he;_ylt=AkPQJB.pniEGWhCbLncDzqFShgM6?urn=ncaab,230 559

Of all the unexpected finishes this March, Evan Turner walking off the floor without congratulating (allegedly, supposedly, assumedly) the opposing team may be the most surprising.

The player-of-the-year winner acted like a sore loser in the immediate aftermath of second-seeded Ohio State's 76-73 loss to No. 6 Tennessee. More on that in a minute.

As the Ohio State offense scrambled in the final seconds, Turner had two chances to tie the game at 76 and send it to overtime. The first shot, the one from the far baseline, barely met the iron. The second came after Turner grabbed the wild carom and was then denied by the repressing palm of J.P. Prince, who pushed back Turner's shot and sent Ohio State home.

Here's what Turner had to say about the final sequence: "We were running a pin down for Jon, but they overplayed it, except the first shot I had fake out bumped and I shot the ball and we missed and the second one, you know, I still got a clear shot. And then it just didn't go in."

The Buckeyes are the latest high-seeded victim be taken out by a lower seed, joining Syracuse, Kansas, Villanova, Georgetown, New Mexico and Pittsburgh.

"I definitely liked the look I got," Turner said about his first 3-pointer in the waning seconds. "I thought it was going to be like an and-one shot. I thought I was going to get a call or something. I liked the look on the second one, it was just I saw one second on the clock and I turned and I missed.

After the block, you'll see Turner brush off teammate Jon Diebler's offer to help him off the floor, and then he walks across the court, seemingly intent on finding the locker room before he finds a Volunteer's hand to shake.

Should Turner be roasted for this?

LeBron James put himself in a similar situation last year, and that prompted a lot of criticism of James' "immature" attitude. But James is 40 times the public figure Turner is. Do we make too much of this handshake line thing as is? Losing hurts. And the way Turner lost was embarrassing. That was an extremely impressive, emphatic block by Prince, and it's easy to understand how badly Turner wanted to get out of the building after that.

If there are doubters of whether or not Turner walked off without assembling in the handshake line, we asked a source who was on press row about the incident and he told us this:

"Yes ... he did. Diagonally off the court, past the Tennessee bench and assumedly down the tunnel. He half-acknowledged a Vol who tapped him. I can't 100% confirm that someone didn't grab him and bring him back, but I doubt that happened."

What makes this so interesting is the nature of who Turner is. There seemingly hasn't been one word of bad press written about him all season. The praisings came just about every week after he came back from a broken back in December.

I noticed it at first, and after seeing this article I realized I wasn't the only one that did. What do you guys think about him not shaking hands? I don't make much of a deal out of those hands, but when he denied being helped up, and just walked off, I was like damnnn...

td0tsfinest
03-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Yup, He's going to be a star in this league.

GunFactor187
03-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Bad to do in college, but if he does that in the NBA I'd be in full support of it.

dwadefan03
03-27-2010, 12:21 AM
dnt see how thats so bad

Sadds The Gr8
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
dnt see how thats so bad

I don't really either...but some people tihnk its very unsportsmanlike to do.

NYK_kidd77
03-27-2010, 12:25 AM
He will fit right in the NBA

Vinny642
03-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Ughh not a great move but not career affecting yet.

homestarunner93
03-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Who cares. It isn't his responsibility to shake hands.

abe_froman
03-27-2010, 12:30 AM
so?? and why is it called pulling a lebron,tons of players before him refused to shake hands after a loss

dont really understand why its a big deal when you dont now

Sadds The Gr8
03-27-2010, 12:36 AM
so?? and why is it called pulling a lebron,tons of players before him refused to shake hands after a loss

dont really understand why its a big deal when you dont now

because he's most known for doing it, and he got a TON of heat last year for it. That's why I made that the title...

IRUAM #21
03-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Lebron does it and he's the Anti Christ. Turner does it and no one cares.

jim51990
03-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Bad to do in college, but if he does that in the NBA I'd be in full support of it.

100% agree i loved that bron didnt shack hands i wish more players where like this instead of buddy buddy with the other team in the old days players wouldnt talk with the other teams at all because the coachs didnt allow it

abe_froman
03-27-2010, 12:43 AM
100% agree i loved that bron didnt shack hands i wish more players where like this instead of buddy buddy with the other team in the old days players wouldnt talk with the other teams at all because the coachs didnt allow it

this i think is what it has to go back to if they want to make the league more popular.rivalries,especially the more bitter,heated ones make things more enjoyable

great for buzz and business

tredigs
03-27-2010, 12:54 AM

Yup I agree. Actually after the game, I don't care. It's their prerogative if they want to shake or not. But before the game? I hate that players shake hands/half hug and what not. **** that, you are competitors and should be out for blood. The players are too soft/congenial when it comes to stuff like this. It's part of the reason why there's no great rivalries in the NBA right now (the other reasons being that there aren't two great teams meeting in the playoffs year after year, and the other being that players change teams too damn often).

last stand
03-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Evan Turner=Tracy Mcgrady(pre-injury)

WITZ
03-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Lebron does it and he's the Anti Christ. Turner does it and no one cares.

Exactly

ldc62
03-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Evan Turner=Tracy Mcgrady(pre-injury)

No where near in athleticism.

ldc62
03-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Shaking hands before game is ok, no need to shake hands after the game.
I don't see how Evan Turner is going to be that good. Hes not super athletic, but has good size. I don't wanna hate, but I disagree with reports saying hes projected to be like B.Roy.

_KB24_
03-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Dumb move by him.

tnt and baby g
03-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Dumb move by him.

this whole thread shows what i think the biggest problem is with america. it is the pussification of the united states. just like someone said earlier who cares. the old time players never shook hands and plenty of players over the last few years never shook hands. but lebron does it and it is so bad. you all that complain about this probably think every little kid (even when they suck) deserve to play more. or everyone on every team should get trophies or dont keep score so nobody wins or loses. like i said pussification of the united states. listen, we all play to win. not to have fun and make friends. this is a cutthroat world. the players from 10-15 years ago have to laugh at all this crap about shaking hands. screw sportsmanship, you want to win and if you dont then **** everyone. :mad:

carter15
03-27-2010, 01:55 AM
wasnt a big deal when Lebron did it and not a big deal now. The handshakes are pointless anyways, the losing team is pissed and the winning team wants to celebrate.

kozelkid
03-27-2010, 01:56 AM
No where near in athleticism.

Maybe not. But far more smooth, polished and in general a more efficient player. For all love Tmac got pre-injury, he wasn't very efficient offensively. At least not considering how much hype he got.

Raph12
03-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Who cares, it's not news unless it's Lebron doing it. :rolleyes:

0nekhmer
03-27-2010, 02:25 AM
oh my god who cares?

Ray_R
03-27-2010, 02:52 AM
^^ Jesus does.

Meh. Not like he mooned the team

td0tsfinest
03-27-2010, 03:12 AM
if jesus payin lebron im payin Evan Turner....

GaSoft16
03-27-2010, 03:17 AM
I think if it was a blowout or at the very least an 8 or 9 pt loss, it would serve him correct to shake the winner's hand. But, since he got blocked on the most decisive and pivotal play of the game where he could have tied it, and the fact that his team lost the game on the last possession, it was heartbreaking and it was understandable that he didn't shake hands due to emotions taking over at the time.

But LeBron had no excuse. He should have shook hands with Orlando because the game was out of reach the last 4-5 minutes of that 4th qtr, and Orlando was the better TEAM. Period! LeBron acted like a sore loser.

Difference is that NCAA is one and done. Evans played 1 game and lost, and no point to get all goody goody. Not like he knew the others guys on a personal friendship type level. LeBron played Orlando for 6 games, and he was friends with Dwight from the Olympics, he should have shook hands. But he's too much of a proud and immature person.

heathonater
03-27-2010, 03:52 AM
here we go again.

GaSoft16
03-27-2010, 03:55 AM
here we go again.

With what? If you're referring to LeBron, it's true. Can't deny it.

kozelkid
03-27-2010, 10:21 AM
delete

HoopsDrive
03-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Would it be better if he shoved people aside to get to the locker room? Now that would be a sight for sore eyes...

king4day
03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
he'll grow up. He's not a pro yet but he'll learn

saucy1
03-27-2010, 12:37 PM
u got to much time on your hands to write all that . Who cares he was probably hurting inside

MagicBucsSox
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
evan turner=tracy mcgrady(pre-injury)

hahahahahahahahahahaa bro mcgrady "pre injury" was a top 5 *nba* player .....not the next bust out of osu

MagicBucsSox
03-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Maybe not. But far more smooth, polished and in general a more efficient player. For all love Tmac got pre-injury, he wasn't very efficient offensively. At least not considering how much hype he got.

lmao you kids must of forgot who mcgrady was preinjury so ill remind you - "before tmac turned injury prone there were arguments who was better between kobe n tmac" real talk

MagicBucsSox
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
the big deal with lebron's situation was he claim dwight howard was his friend. that was the problem. they won gold together etc and he never showed love the his alleged friend

Raoul Duke
03-27-2010, 01:05 PM
It probably meant a lot to him, and I'm guessing that he was more upset than he's ever been following a loss. Consider all that, and his age, and you can't really get too mad at him for walking off the court without offering congradulatory handshakes to the team that sent him home.

Hawkeye15
03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/2010/03/19/too-much-love/

here is my answer

SaimoNETS
03-27-2010, 01:42 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/2010/03/19/too-much-love/

here is my answer

That's a great article. I agree 100%.

Super.
03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Rocky top all night baby! Rocky top all night

JWO35
03-27-2010, 09:05 PM
He's saving that hand shake for David Stern and Joe Dumars

saucy1
03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
turner reminds me of scottie pippen for some reason but ive only seen him play twice,am i way off

harm0n1x
03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
i'm the same way when i lose in something, i get in this zone and i hate whoever beat me. i won't shake hands or anything like that, i won't even talk to my teammates until i cool down. some people are just like that, get over it..

sargon21
03-28-2010, 12:58 AM
evan turner- not athletic, a good enough shooter, fast or strong enough in the nba to make it, i smell bust... but what a douche for not shakin hands, idc wat u guys say, but you kno when u lose the game in the park, its over, and you say good game