PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Phil Jackson will be back next season

asandhu23
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/03/26/jackson.return/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Phil Jackson hopes to return next season as Lakers coach and does not anticipate that his return will be sidetracked by health issues or negotiations on a new lucrative contract, he told NBA.com Friday.

Jackson stopped short of saying an extension to remain in Los Angeles is a certainty, wanting to keep open his options until he talks with doctors after the season. And he conceded there is a lure to retiring. But the most-decorated coach in NBA history, with a record 10 championships, is clearly feeling better than a year ago and has been in good spirits all season.

Asked if he thinks he will be back with a new deal in 2010-11, Jackson said without hesitation: "Yeah."

"The wear and tear of a season, I think, affects everybody, the travel and whatever else you have to do for an extended time," he said at the Ford Center after a Lakers shootaround in preparation for the game against the Thunder later Friday. "But, all that being said, I'm as mobile as I've ever been in the last three years. That helps. I'm dealing with less arthritic elements that are painful things going on as you age. But there are still considerations as to the duration that I will coach, simply because I have to stay attuned to that.

"I look at something that happened like George Karl [the Nuggets coach who has been spending time away from the team while undergoing cancer treatment] and I just think it's a shame. You can't predict or project that as a possible situation, but he's going to miss part of the season and it's going to affect his team. I wouldn't want to put a franchise in that position when there's young healthy guys that can do the job."

But, unlike a year ago at this time, he does not expect that health will be a determining factor.

"Probably not," Jackson said. "I go at the end of the year for a medical checkup now. There are a couple issues I deal with, and if they're all 'go', then I've cleared myself. If it's a warning situation, then I'll have to have another consideration.

"I don't even think it's going to be a financial issue. It's going to be an issue about spending the remaining time of my healthful years doing basketball or doing other things that now are possible for me, that I can do that I wasn't able to do in the past, which is fly fish, climb mountains, ride motorcycles, and all those things that have been unavailable to me for about the last eight, nine years."

The update comes as the Lakers have reclaimed control of what had became a race with the Nuggets and Mavericks for the best record in the West and home-court advantage in every L.A. series until at least the Finals. The seven-game winning streak heading into Friday night pushed the lead to a comfortable 6 games, muting concerns, at least temporarily, about the defending champions lacking proper focus as the postseason approaches.

Of course, L.A. didn't have the proper focus in the playoffs last season and still survived the first round against Utah and a serious scare from Houston in the second, before playing much better in the conference finals against Denver and the championship series against Orlando. Order has been restored once again, and Jackson is hoping to continue the stability into next season.

"I think the Lakers want to continue this," he said. "I think the way you finish the season has a lot to do with it. Dr. [Jerry] Buss [the owner] went out on a limb this year and risked financial security or going into the black for signing players, and this is a franchise that hasn't ever lost money. They've always been able to say, 'We made money this last year,' and that's somewhat a matter of pride for him. Signing these players just about eliminated that, unless we go deep into the playoffs, and we want to do that."

jackdawson
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I am not surprised. I knew he was gonna be back. Who wants to leave such a sure team? He is just acting.

jmtapia
03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
why wouldnt he???

juggla53
03-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Of course hes comeing back, hes got one of the best jobs in sports and essentially has a coach on the floor in Kobe, and a couple of real good assistants. He pretty much just lets everyone do their thing and when things start going bad he just calls a TO and says "calm down, were fine", and then the lakers usually do well.

cav_till_i_die
03-28-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/03/26/jackson.return/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

What is up with your signature dude?? first of all there isnt a big difference at all in those pictures, you can get a lot better after picture. Secondly, he does not take steroids. Last i heard or saw, a boy at the age of 17 tends to get bigger and stronger by the time hes 25. maybe im wrong though :rimshot:.... im not.

JNA17
03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
he's coming back for the 3 peat of course

mr_relevant
03-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Great news for me

JiffyMix88
03-28-2010, 10:24 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!
Never knew he was leaving

GaSoft16
03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
This just ensures that the Lakers dynasty will live on for the next few years.

JiffyMix88
03-28-2010, 11:55 PM
This just ensures that the Lakers dynasty will live on for the next few years.

yep until kobe retires then he will go to the thunder with durant and act once again as if it was his genius coaching skills that is what made them when a championship

BradyIsTheMan12
03-29-2010, 12:03 AM
If they win it all that may change things.

GaSoft16
03-29-2010, 12:34 AM
yep until kobe retires then he will go to the thunder with durant and act once again as if it was his genius coaching skills that is what made them when a championship

Aren't you a Bulls fan? Wow, how unnappreciative are you for those 6 championships.

JiffyMix88
03-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Aren't you a Bulls fan? Wow, how unnappreciative are you for those 6 championships.

yeah but hes always had two superstar when he coaches jordan pippin, kobe shaq, kobe pau id like to see him with the 76ers to see how good he really is at coaching

king4day
03-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Misleading thread title.
He never signed so nothing's official.

Raph12
03-29-2010, 01:45 AM
They still haven't resigned Kobe, soooo...

asandhu23
03-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Misleading thread title.
He never signed so nothing's official.

I merely put the title that was on NBA.com that day.

GSW Hoops
03-29-2010, 01:51 AM
yeah but hes always had two superstar when he coaches jordan pippin, kobe shaq, kobe pau id like to see him with the 76ers to see how good he really is at coaching

Name a team in the past 20 years that has won an NBA championship without a superstar or three.

asandhu23
03-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Name a team in the past 20 years that has won an NBA championship without a superstar or three.

Pistons? Chauncey became well known after that year

abe_froman
03-29-2010, 02:02 AM

ben wallace:2 dpoy,2 all star,and 2 times top 10 in mvp voting before that point,if i'm not mistaken

GSW Hoops
03-29-2010, 02:06 AM

Thinking back to the previous champions, that's my best guess too.

Lakers have Kobe, Boston had KG/Allen/Pierce, Miami had Wade/Shaq (and Antoine Walker wooooo), Lakers had Shaq/Kobe, Spurs had Duncan and a good supporting cast, Rockets had Hakeem, Bulls had MJ and Pippen, Lakers had Magic/Kareem/Worthy, Boston had Larry Legend, and so on.

My point to the previous poster is that superstars win titles, so it's not fair to slam Phil Jackson for needing superstars to win titles. Every coach needs superstars to win titles!

GSW Hoops
03-29-2010, 02:08 AM
ben wallace:2 dpoy,2 all star,and 2 times top 10 in mvp voting by that point,if i'm not mistaken

And the season after that, the Pistons had 4 all-stars in the all-star game (Sheed, Billups, Rip, Big Ben), minus Tayshaun Prince, who has since gone on to win a gold medal.

I wouldn't call them superstars, but 4 all-stars has to equal at least 1.5 superstars :-)

asandhu23
03-29-2010, 02:44 AM
ben wallace:2 dpoy,2 all star,and 2 times top 10 in mvp voting before that point,if i'm not mistaken

reread the question. He said "superstar" not all star.

JiffyMix88
03-29-2010, 02:57 AM

i'm not trying to slam phil but when u have the two best players of their era u should win some titles especially when one came with one of the top 3 centers of all time and the other came with another top 50 player all im saying is i would like to see phil coach a team like the 76ers to see how good his coaching really is...........
dont take what im about to say the wrong way either because i truely love phil but look at larry brown the only superstar i can think of that he had was reggie miller or rick alderman they've coached medicore teams(besides the kings) and have had much success i would just like to see phil with a medicore squad is all im saying

RaiderLakersA's
03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
reread the question. He said "superstar" not all star.

Huh?

By your definition, what was Pau Gasol last year? A Superstar or an All-Star?