PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone: Kevin Durant the Next Kobe Bryant

RaiderLakersA's
03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Interesting...

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/03/kobe-bryant-amused-that-rolling-stone-deemed-kevin-durant-the-next-kobe.html

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-26-2010, 04:15 PM
rolling stone, the next John Hollinger:facepalm:

R_O_W_E
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
What a joke.

Kevin Durant doesn't come close in any capacity to Kobe Bryant from personality, basketball IQ, clutch factor, skill set, etc.

Raph12
03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Wasn't the Rolling Stone the one that said Durant is already better than Kobe?

xBLAMEITON24x
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, the Rolling Stone the magazine where i get all my nba basketball knowledge.

Niro
03-26-2010, 04:36 PM
yes, the rolling stone the magazine where i get all my nba basketball knowledge.

:laugh2:

Wisdom Listens
03-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't get my basketball insight from Rolling Stone for the same reason I don't get my weather from the Food Network.

/thread

Carey
03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Awful comparison, not the same skill set but as far as status i think KD can approach it at some point. He's still very young but if he improves his body, ball handling, and defense....which im certain he will, he can be in the convo with Kobe, but we are talking years down the road.

Boss Man Chief
03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Durant in my opinion is the next kobe. i didnt read the article nor am i going to but he has already proven to me he is lights out all over, holds his team on his shoulders (something that Kobe has just started doing) and how do you know he's not clutch at the end of the game who do you think is shooting the shot for the thunder? DURANT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2drj-QeHn4

That was his rookie year something that kobe showed when he was younger too, and his defense isnt there yet but look at lebron he didnt come into the league as a dominating defender but look at him now. dont be so quick to jump on this statement or dismiss it durant may very well just be the next kobe...only time will tell

tredigs
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I actually really like Kobe's response to this. He took at as an honor for the next potential greats to be considered, "the next Kobe", rather than him being pushed off the pedestal. People need to stop hating on Durant, the dude is young as hell and working his as_ off to get better each year. And it's probably true that he's going to be a huge part of the future of this league.

You also need to recognize that he's had a better year than Kobe, and will only be getting better, while Kobe has peaked. The Rolling Stone article is premature considering Durant hasn't even been in the playoffs yet (like I mentioned in this exact thread last night --tho' this link is better--), but it's not exactly wrong, either.

Wade is still being heavily underrated, though. Tell you that much. He's better than Durant at most aspects of the game at this point (besides shooting, rebounding) and to me better than Kobe as well. Durant's potential is probably higher, but still Wade needs to get more credit (which he will after he gets a solid team this summer).

"The next Kobe" is still a bad comparison, though. They're completely different players. Durant is Nowitzki with more athleticism and a better 3pt shot. Kobe is Jordan lite, and that comparison made a lot of sense. This one doesn't.

jackdawson
03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
All BS! He will be known as KEVIN DURANT because he is immensely talented.

soonabooma
03-26-2010, 05:44 PM
When we look down the road about 20 years from now, they'll be talking about players as being the next Kevin Durant. That's how great KD is gonna be.

VCaintdead17
03-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Silly Rolling Stone, Kobe would be lucky to be the next Kevin Durant.

Bullsfan22
03-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I laughed at the title and decided not to read the blog. Kevin Durant is Kevin Durant and he has a damn good chance to be as good a Kobe Bryant if he continues at this pace and win some rings.

ARMIN12NBA
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
LOL @ the ROLLING STONE talking sports. Durant is a phenomenal player, but he isn't on Kobe's level yet. He is not as good of a playmaker or passer and does not have the ability to involve teammates well like Kobe does. Also, it is extremely important to note that Durant is not very clutch at this point (gives it off to Thabo/Russel and disappeared against Lakers in OT when Kobe guarded him).

Still though, Durant is an amazing player and I wouldn't be surprised if he overtook a 32 or 33 year old Kobe Bryant a couple years down the line.

IRUAM #21
03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Nope, Kobe's GOD no one will be better than him, ever !!!

Bruno
03-26-2010, 08:37 PM
A little background information on Matt Taibbi. He's a 40 year old product of suburban Boston Massachusetts. Perfect and age and location to spawn Laker hating tendencies. Saw his Celtics get beaten up by Showtime- but was too young to witness Boston dismantle Los Angeles in the 60's. I'm sure he also though Jodran was destined for a "now-inexorable climb down the dominance ladder" after he was sitting ontop a championship at age 31. Whether this clown likes it or not, Bryant is the reigning finals MVP- third player in finals history to put up 40-8-8 in one game and not going anywhere anytime soon.

NortonMang
03-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Watching Durant outquick Kobe down the middle for a layup off Collison screen. Kevin didn't go for the dunk. He remembers Ginobli. Great, smart, play.

Bruno
03-26-2010, 08:42 PM
LOL @ the ROLLING STONE talking sports. Durant is a phenomenal player, but he isn't on Kobe's level yet. He is not as good of a playmaker or passer and does not have the ability to involve teammates well like Kobe does. Also, it is extremely important to note that Durant is not very clutch at this point (gives it off to Thabo/Russel and disappeared against Lakers in OT when Kobe guarded him).

Still though, Durant is an amazing player and I wouldn't be surprised if he overtook a 32 or 33 year old Kobe Bryant a couple years down the line.

As if they didn't dismantle rock and roll already. I agree about KD passing Kobe in a few years. But thats not a knock on Kobe, its acknowledging the inevitable aging and how good KD is.

tredigs
03-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Thunder up 53 - 34 over the Lakers at halftime. Their defense has been menacing, lowest first half total for the Lakers all year.

Durant: 13 pts (6-11 fg) 3 reb 1 ast 2 to's

Bryant: 11 pts (4-10 fg) 4 reb 3 ast 8 to's

8 first half turnovers is crazy. I wonder if that's a career high for him as far as one half goes? He's pushing his dribble like crazy and keeps falling over and losing the ball. Thunder defense and Westbrook were the story of that half though. Playoff atmosphere in their stadium.

NortonMang
03-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Kevin Durant has led Thunder to the role of contenders THIS YEAR!

stawka
03-26-2010, 09:17 PM
WTF?! Durant will never be a Kobe, nothing resembles Kobe apart from his shoot-first approach. I see him as a better version of a prime T-Mac if he stays healthy, not even remotely close to Kobe

tredigs
03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
WTF?! Durant will never be a Kobe, nothing resembles Kobe apart from his shoot-first approach. I see him as a better version of a prime T-Mac if he stays healthy, not even remotely close to Kobe

Agreed. That's funny you mention that too because I've seen a video of KD saying that his coach from age 10-16 used to make him mimic his game to be exactly like T-Mac's. So that's all he did growing up. But the articles point isn't that he is anything like Kobe, it's more about being "the torchbearer" for the league as the next great. Which I think is kind of weird because that role seems to be pretty well entrenched in LBJ's hands as the next great. Though I do think KD could be the one to create the next great rivalry with either Kobe and/or Lebron. Again, can't forget about Melo, Wade, etc. And I'm just thinking about the great wing players...

tredigs
03-26-2010, 09:53 PM
WOW. The Thunder are up on the Lakers at the end of the 3 quarters 80-47.

Kobe has 11 pts (4-11) 6 rebs 3 ast 9 to's

Durant has 24 pts (8-18) 7 rebs 3 ast 3 to's

I'm not sure I've ever seen the Lakers get sodomized this badly.

IAmKira
03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Silly Rolling Stone, Kobe would be lucky to be the next Kevin Durant.

:facepalm: HOW CAN BE THE NEXT IF HES OLDER U ****.

RaptorizedKevin
03-26-2010, 10:39 PM
rolling stone, the next John Hollinger:facepalm:

:laugh: lmao so true. Rolling stone are complete fools. durrant and kobe play complete different positions have alot different styles of game. the rolliing stone magazine has no possible way to soupport their opinion on how durant will be the next kobe. he wont.

SaimoNETS
03-26-2010, 11:24 PM
:facepalm: HOW CAN BE THE NEXT IF HES OLDER U ****.

Really? :rolleyes:

Chronz
03-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Look guys even if he was better than Kobe you guys wouldnt admit it right now. In retrospect it will become obvious but right now you guys are too hung up on the past. Its only natural Im the same way, but theres still a possibility.

Are you talking about playing style or ability because if its playing style hes his own guy if its ability then if hes a better version of a prime Tmac then hes already better than Kobe

Bruno
03-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Look guys even if he was better than Kobe you guys wouldnt admit it right now. In retrospect it will become obvious but right now you guys are too hung up on the past. Its only natural Im the same way, but theres still a possibility.

Are you talking about playing style or ability because if its playing style hes his own guy if its ability then if hes a better version of a prime Tmac then hes already better than Kobe

True, maybe he is better. It's hard to judge though, Bryant has been playing injured pretty much the entire year.

ElMarroAfamado
03-27-2010, 05:52 PM
he has the tools ...he will be a more successful bball player than lebron james simply because of his ability to shoot the J....in that sense he is more likely to be the "next kobe bryant" ...meaning he will win more titles as opposed to lebron james who will always be the face of the league and get praise from fans because of his dunks and athleticism but never his titles. because he wont win any.