PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Bosh a Max player?

fairandbalanced
03-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Would you consider Chris Bosh a Max player that can carry a franchise? I came across this quote via Cheeznwingz
I say do not bring him back. He is not a franchise player, he is a ME player. There is no way in hell this guy is going to bring a NBA championship to the T.O. There has got to be a better way to spend the money. Chris is a complementary player, he is not a leader. Sure he is having a good season, but it is his contract year. Too bad we couldn't go back in time and draft D Wade instead. I hate to say it, but Vince Carter is still the best player the Raps have had. as I was looking through the Toronto forum, do you agree?

marvILLous
03-26-2010, 11:47 AM
he's not a max player, but neither are many other players.. but he is still going to get it.. there are only a few who are truly max players

but he is kinda right.. i don't think bosh can lead a championship team.. he would be the perfect 2nd option or even a 1a/1b with another great player.. like brandon roy

HoopsDrive
03-26-2010, 11:53 AM
He's going to get a max this summer no matter what but I don't think he is a player to give a max contract to.

He's the perfect 2nd option and it's very hard to build a truly championship contending team around him.

FlakeyFool
03-26-2010, 11:57 AM
not a max. I use to believe he was the best player in franchise history, but now after really thinking about it, Vince is still superior.

Eagles4Lyfe
03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
ya bosh i dont know whats going through his mind..But we need to do something and turk needs to light it up again i dont iknow its hard to understand what this team needs

Tribe
03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
You wont see him headlining a championship team but he will get max deal

Raph12
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
No but he'll get the max.

ink
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
He's going to get a max this summer no matter what but I don't think he is a player to give a max contract to.

He's the perfect 2nd option and it's very hard to build a truly championship contending team around him.

I agree with all of this. And when he gets his max contract and plays as a 2nd option to a dominant perimeter player that team will be unstoppable. When I say dominant, I mean already well-established too.

thescore53
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
raptors with bosh will always be a middle of the pack playoff team,

DLeeicious
03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I agree with all of this. And when he gets his max contract and plays as a 2nd option to a dominant perimeter player that team will be unstoppable. When I say dominant, I mean already well-established too.

I thought your sig was for this Rush:

http://thepocketsquare.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cd_rush_band.jpg

As for the topic...there is a lot of competition for this years free agent class which is going to drive up their salaries. In a year where teams didn't clear lots of cap space he may have to take what he could get, but this year he will get a max somewhere. Does he deserve it? No. But he is pretty good still.

JayW_1023
03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
On a bad team. But he is better off as a second banana on a contender.

Just like Vince Carter and Pau Gasol are proving to be.

aman_13
03-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I agree that Bosh is more of a second option, but he is going to get the max. His skill set with that size is hard to find in this league.

BTW Bosh or Boozer?
I heard the Utah commentators say that Boozer is better than Bosh, and i laughed but what does everyone else think?

WadeBirdman
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
2nd option but hes gettin max money

RaiderLakersA's
03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
2nd option but hes gettin max money

Exactly this. If the Lakers can pay Bynum what he's making, and he's not even the second option on the team, then Bosh will definitely get a max cash contract.

king4day
03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
The only players I think are worthy are Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and Howard.
Amar'e's play of late will get him one and teams like Miami, NY, and Chicago, will most definently spend to get one of them.

Tim96
03-26-2010, 12:39 PM
No he isnīt a max. Player! He is a good player but not so good how LeBron, Kobe, Wade and Howard. I think also Dirk Nowitzki is better!

RaiderLakersA's
03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
The only players I think are worthy are Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and Howard.

I agree with you, except for Howard. Kobe and LeBron definitely are worthy, because they put butts in the seat...even butts in the seats when they're on the road. Wade to a slightly lesser extent has that same effect. But I don't know that Howard has that kind of draw. I would go to a Warriors game (the local team) to see them face the Cavs solely because of LeBron, but I wouldn't necessarily go to see the Magic (solely because of Dwight) or the Heat (solely because of Wade) face them.

Not that max cash contracts were ever about fan appeal, just saying...

ink
03-26-2010, 12:42 PM
OT: Durant will also be at max player status soon.

Sadds The Gr8
03-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree that Bosh is more of a second option, but he is going to get the max. His skill set with that size is hard to find in this league.

BTW Bosh or Boozer?
I heard the Utah commentators say that Boozer is better than Bosh, and i laughed but what does everyone else think?

Bosh but it's pretty close.

Sadds The Gr8
03-26-2010, 12:55 PM

this.

LE-SHAQ
03-26-2010, 01:10 PM
No hes not but with all these teams clearirng cap space he will get max money. I think he will be alot like A.I in philly overpaid to be a #2 player.

hvg
03-26-2010, 01:51 PM
I think Bosh is worth max money even as a 2nd option because he gets a team over the hump. According to me, add him next to any wing star (Wade, Rose etc) and they're instant contenders. On a team with Wade and Bosh, Wade is the obvious first option but Bosh is just as important since he changes the game with a solid post presence.

At the end of the day, I would say at any point there are ~15 players in the league getting max money (completely ungrounded) and I think Bosh deserves to be in that 15.

sep11ie
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
He's gonna be in a S/T to Houston

Yao/Hayes
Bosh/Hill
Ariza/Budinger
Martin/Taylor
Brooks/Lowry

masalex1205
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
no but he'll get the max.

+1

cheezinmypocket
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm sure Bosh is going to get paid Max $$... but as a Raptors fan I'm not sure he deserves it right now.

But there are only so many top level players in the league, you need to pay up to get one.

Iodine
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
When your the third best PF in the game..... No

he will though and you cant blame him for that

Spiderman 1nner
03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
well it dependds how you lookk at it. In tha past decade, players that play well in a contract year seem to get huge deals (i.e. Mike James, Larry Hughes, etc.); however, if GM's didn't overvalue players and only tha best players got max deals, then he wouldd not but he'd be relly close to it. I wouldn't be disappointed if tha Knicks or Clippers or someone gave him a max deal, cus at least they kno wha they're getting (20+ ppg and 10+ rpg). But he plays mediocre defense and I jus don't see him as a game changer. He's someone that shouldd be lookkn to goto a team with another superstar if he wants to win a championship.

JNA17
03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
can't really see him carry a team, but he will get a max anyway

Gibby
03-26-2010, 02:51 PM
i have a question. How many players should be given max contracts in the nba 10,15,20?

Ray_R
03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
No but it doesnt matter, teams have enought to offer a max and arent gonna let him walk.

pebloemer
03-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Market Value league wide: Max contract.

The whole idea of "is someone a max contract player" is very subjective to the team. In a hard cap, where a max contract occupies a percentage of the cap (like it does in the NBA), the idea makes more sense. But in a soft cap where teams like Dallas can continue to manouver so far above the cap through trades, while the owner doesn't care the damage to his pocket, Chris Bosh is definitely a "max contract player." Because they can still put the players around him to succeed by exceed the tax threshold so significantly. A team on a stricter budget would have a harder time justifying a portion so significant as a max contract on a player of Bosh's caliber.

SteveNash
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Rashard Lewis changed the definition of a max contract player.

JordansBulls
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Would you consider Chris Bosh a Max player that can carry a franchise? I came across this quote via Cheeznwingz as I was looking through the Toronto forum, do you agree?

I would give him a max contract for the Bulls.

pebloemer
03-26-2010, 03:20 PM
I would give him a max contract for the Bulls.

I would too if I were Bulls management. If a team already has a star up and coming player to pair them with, and finances to go over the cap to build around those pieces, I don't see why they wouldn't give a player like Bosh the max.

The thread really depends on how much money the organization has and what assets are already in place IMO.

ILLN355
03-26-2010, 03:48 PM
atleast raps fans admit bosh is a 2nd option unlike bulls fans who all think drose is the GOAT, like OMG

jmtapia
03-26-2010, 04:03 PM
IMO Bosh is worth a max deal...

CheeznWingz
03-26-2010, 04:03 PM
To me a guy who get a max contract MUST do everything on the floor, which includes defence. Every night you see either Wade, Bryant, James making huge plays on defence which is crucial to their teams success, but why no Bosh highlights? Because he can't play defence. If you want to pay a guy a max contract, basically saying that he is in the upper elite player range, but he only does half the work than go right ahead. I think that giving him max money is a waste of money.

pebloemer
03-26-2010, 04:08 PM
To me a guy who get a max contract MUST do everything on the floor, which includes defence. Every night you see either Wade, Bryant, James making huge plays on defence which is crucial to their teams success, but why no Bosh highlights? Because he can't play defence. If you want to pay a guy a max contract, basically saying that he is in the upper elite player range, but he only does half the work than go right ahead. I think that giving him max money is a waste of money.

Would the Bulls or Heat franchises be worse off by paying Bosh max money?

How?

knickerbockerny
03-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Yea many poster said exactly what I was thinking. He is far from a max player, but because teams have so much cap space this off season someone is going to overspend on him. He is not a game changer either.

CheeznWingz
03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
The thread asks is he a max player. Not would a team be better by giving him max money. But honestly I don't think that Bosh would make either the Bulls or the Heat a championship team because you have to play defence. You can score as many points as you want, but if you can't stop the other team, what good does it do?

pebloemer
03-26-2010, 04:25 PM
The thread asks is he a max player. Not would a team be better by giving him max money. But honestly I don't think that Bosh would make either the Bulls or the Heat a championship team because you have to play defence. You can score as many points as you want, but if you can't stop the other team, what good does it do?

Well I guess I believe he is better at defense than you do. He was lauded for defensive efforts in the olympics. But when you play beside Turkoglu and Bargnani in the front court, you defensive statistics will suffer.

Is he a "max player?" How do you define a "max player."

Max contract is defined by a maximum percentage of the cap a player can attain based on how many years a player has been in the league, etc. If a player benefits a team and gives them a greater chance of winning a championship with a "max contract" while their market value is also a "max contract," is that not a "max player?"

For many teams I believe both those things are characteristic of Bosh. I think the idea of "max player" you seem to be thinking of makes more sense in a hard cap like hockey, where the maximum contract of (ie. 20%) of the cap would mean in order for a player to be worth 20% of the cap, he has to be of a certain caliber. In the NBA, 20% of the cap is not even close to 20% of many teams overall salaries or 20% of what most teams can afford.

If Bosh makes 20 million a year and the overall payroll for a team is 90 million a year, there is plenty of room in that 70 million to build a title contender with him occupying 20 million for the cap room.

If Bosh makes 20 million a year and the overall payroll for a team is 60 million a year, whereby 3 players who are given marginal impact are taking up 30 of the 60 million, then it is certainly not worth paying him the 20 million a year.

The whole concept of "max player" only make sense in other cap systems, or it needs to tak into account team situations and economic situations.

Gibby
03-26-2010, 04:57 PM
atleast raps fans admit bosh is a 2nd option unlike bulls fans who all think drose is the GOAT, like OMG

bosh is 2nd option on a really good team. but that doesnt mean he shouldnt be a franchise player somewhere. he is probably a top 15 player in the league.

Kakaroach
03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
He will get a max contract. You don't think the Nets or Knicks would do that? Cuz I'm 100% they would give him a max if he asked for one. Do I think he's worth that much? Eh, prolly not. But thats what he will get.

thephoenixson28
03-26-2010, 07:29 PM
I seen a article on hoopshype.com that toronto already offered bosh the max but he didn't take it.

heatking
03-26-2010, 07:50 PM
hes not a max player, but he will get it. Same with amare and joe johnson. When you get to free agency teams will overpay to get their guy.

xBLAMEITON24x
03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
He'll be getting paid like one this summer but he solid 2 option i dont see him lead a team to a championship

AddiX
03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
The way he plays defense I would have a hard time giving him Max $. For someone so agile I really dont understand how he is so bad on the defensive end.

RaptorizedKevin
03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Would you consider Chris Bosh a Max player that can carry a franchise? I came across this quote via Cheeznwingz as I was looking through the Toronto forum, do you agree?

your starting a thread based apon another PSD members opinion?

anyways. hell no he isnt

bosh is just a good player. but hes just a jump shooter. hes really soft. he has no hustle, i havent seen consistant emotion. i havent seen him call himself out when he does things wronge. he only complains and says he cant do anything to help his teamates. his defense is terrible

hes at best a 16-18 mil contract. if he thinks hes gonna get max, hes only gonna get a max contract because teams want to secure two superstar cores . so he will get his max when he doesnt deserve it.

dustinchiefs27
03-26-2010, 10:38 PM
u guys dont know wat ur talkin about bosh is a superstar hes not a number 2 he was on the dream team the allstar team and is one of the best PFs in the league hes always at the top of the league in the stats department so u people need to get ur facts straight

RaptorizedKevin
03-26-2010, 10:42 PM
u guys dont know wat ur talkin about bosh is a superstar hes not a number 2 he was on the dream team the allstar team and is one of the best PFs in the league hes always at the top of the league in the stats department so u people need to get ur facts straight

:crazy:

ldc62
03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
The way he plays defense I would have a hard time giving him Max $. For someone so agile I really dont understand how he is so bad on the defensive end.

His D is definitely not that bad... Hes an average defender on a terrible defensive team.