PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a fan of "your" team?

DitchDat
03-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Is it your home town team?

Did anyone put you onto it?

Did you randomly pick a team?

Do you follow a certain player?

Are you a die-hard fan or do you follow up on multiple teams?

Share !

mikantsass
03-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Location location

RadiantShot
03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm an Orlando Magic fan.

I'm from Orlando, so it makes sense. I've followed them ever since I got into basketball, which was at around 6-7 years of age. I didn't start watching and talking about it statistically until a few months ago.

I was there before the bandwagon. I was there when we lost to Detroit in the Playoffs, being up 3-1. I was there through the 2003-2004, 21 Win-61 Loss season. I've been through the good and the bad with this team. I may be a little young, and I haven't seen everything, but I've been a fan of this team for a while now.

Tblaze
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
When I was little I had the basketball cards, and I always liked the Portland Jerseys most... and my favorite player was Pippen (who at first was on the bulls). Then he went to Portland and from that point I really started following the nba and supporting Portland..

DakotaGuy
03-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Actually, followed college basketball first. Became a fan of Magic Johnson, when he was drafted by the Lakers, I became a fan. Soon learned to understand the Boston thing when a couple of my friends became C fans.

mser58
03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Born and bred, West Philadelphia to the burbs

Lakerfan In NY
03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
It was the 1st basketball game i ever saw & fell in love w/ the game of basketball. I remember i made my pops go & buy me a basketball so i could practice being like magic...My 1st offensive move was a skyhook. LMAO.

BK-TY
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Born and raised in Brooklyn. 'Nuff said.

Ray_R
03-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Location for me. trust me Im only 19 so I got to watch Jordan a little, but I follwed the bulls post jordan era so im gonna die a bulls fan.

daliLOLbagaric
03-25-2010, 09:37 AM
mine's kind of embarassing.....

it started with space jam when i was like 5 years old. lol :o

i was introduced to the bulls thanks to mj and then after he left the team i noticed i had fell in love with the red and white.. not the players. i stood loyal to the bulls even after jordan left and found it just disgusting when he joined the wizards. i didn't even feel a bit of temptation to follow him and become a wizards supporter. i still followed the bulls thru the darkest times..

my favorite players through the last 10 years have been andrew lang, brent barry, ron mercer, dalibor bagaric, dickey simpkins, kornel david......... :o you get the idea. i honestly love this team.. don't know why but i can never get excited for any other team but the bulls. nor i can force myself to like a team .. there's just something special there. i guess it was because i've been a fan since i was a little kid. the bulls have a special place in my heart.

and being so patient, loyal and hopeful will pay off when i see my bulls winning another championship after waiting and suffering all these years.. i just know the feeling will be amazing. all i wish is to see the bulls win at least one more championship before i die.

DieHardColtsfan
03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I live like 20 mins away from the garden. I love the Knicks, unfortunatley.

wileyisTOFU
03-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Location, or your a band wagoner or foreigner

BOSTON617
03-25-2010, 09:52 AM
born in raised in hyde park boston celtics

daliLOLbagaric
03-25-2010, 09:55 AM
I live like 20 mins away from the garden. I love the Knicks, unfortunatley.

in 1 or 2 years it will fortunately. :D

you guys have some really good pieces not to mention room to add some bigger pieces as well (even if they're not the big 3.. solid fa). your future looks bright.

yanks19791024
03-25-2010, 10:00 AM
yeah I hate the laker or cavs fan from New jersey, bandwagon all the way. My dad was from NY and the only team I ever root for is the Knicks

Team*Chicago
03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
I became a Bulls fan because 1)the city of Chicago, 2)the Jordan era, 3)all the other teams in red are trying to look like the Bulls, 4)they are the best looking red team in all of sports and 5)I'm a fan of Cubs, White Sox, Blackhawks, Fire and Bears.

6)Every time I watch the Bulls play they remind me of the Forever Red episode of the Power Rangers and Super Sentai 25th Anniversary Forever Red(Japanese Red Power Rangers) when all the red rangers team up that are different power rangers and the monster they destroy represnts the other NBA basketball teams like the Heat, Bucks Pistons and Lakers.
Videos are here of why I like the Bulls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI0UPMLX8eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFVScy45LI&feature=related

TheWatcher34
03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
i m a foreigner (Germany) and i spent a year in Boston and i take a trip to beantown almost every year. it was my first live nba game ever @ the garden in '99 vs. the knicks since then i ve been hooked to green!! :)

JCboyz23
03-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Idk how this happened but it did.... i grew up in small upstate new york Binghamton no real professional teams close just obv the Mets minor league team i.e. binghamton mets.... and still i grew up a Braves fan haha i been watching them forever on TBS (pissed now thats its not on there anymore)

and i am a huge New York Giants fan

Braves and Giants hmmm dont know how it happened but its where my love for sports is

akay47
03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm from Ottawa, Canada. I can't stand the Senators or the Raptors

New Orleans Saints: River City Relay, actually I started following them before that, but it was really at that moment that I loved them, when Jerome Pathon got into that endzone, I was yelling at the top of my lungs. But then, knowing the Saints luck, John Carney misses the extra point. Followed them ever since, I'm only 19, I didn't get to see Archie Manning and Willie Roaf, but I did support them throughout Hurricane Katrina and it feels damn good to win a Super Bowl

Los Angeles Kings: Gretzky. My dad was a huge Wayne Gretzky fan, every team Gretz played for, my dad would buy merchandise and hats for those teams, I got hooked to the Kings at an early age, 5. Luc Robitaille, Rob Blake, McSorley, all those guys

Cleveland Cavaliers: LeBron's rookie year, haven't missed a game of his since, I would love to meet him, he's definitely my idol

New York Mets: I just started following baseball maybe 3 years ago, I'm not the type to bandwagon on good teams, if you look at my other favorite teams, you'll realize I'm not a hopper. I always liked Beltran, was solid in Houston and I guess the Mets just caught my eye, follow them just as much as my other teams

akay47
03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Idk how this happened but it did.... i grew up in small upstate new york Binghamton no real professional teams close just obv the Mets minor league team i.e. binghamton mets.... and still i grew up a Braves fan haha i been watching them forever on TBS (pissed now thats its not on there anymore)

Braves and Giants hmmm dont know how it happened but its where my love for sports is

Binghamton Sens? come onnnnn!!!

arkanian215
03-25-2010, 10:57 AM

wow... you didnt watch the senators?

haha you're a townie (it's a term of endearment;))! i graduated from BU last year. must've been interesting to grow up in a college town.

Five Angels
03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Born in Detroit, moved to South Florida in '76 when I was 7, so I grew up down here supporting the Fins. Obviously, my support for the Heat, Marlins and Panthers came later.

That being said, I have family who live in Detroit who now, even 34 years later and having graduated from University of Miami, still call me a traitor for not supporting Michigan teams.

Nice thing is, I'm moving back to Motown this April and already have my season tickets for the Lions. I'll be the guy in the Jake Long jersey rooting against the Jets and Pats. :D

asandhu23
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Location, The Franchise name ( no kidding ) and the Cheerleaders.

Sox72
03-25-2010, 11:06 AM
It has to be Racine after they acquired Kit Keller. I was a huge Rockford fan but that team seemed to revolve around Dottie Henson. A bit of a Barry Bonds if you ask me.....

Swashcuff
03-25-2010, 11:21 AM
I am a Philly Fan born and living in Trinidad and Tobago

It started in 98/99 when I was 9 and played NBA Live 1998 for the PS1 and fell for Allen Iverson’s game as a 76er (game couldn’t replicate cornrows at that time so he was bald). After that I became an avid Iverson follower and a sixer fan. Now I am more a Basketball fan though than just a fan of one team. Follow all teams and all players.

SchyGuy11
03-25-2010, 11:27 AM
born and raised in chi town Go Bulls!

NY Till I Die
03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Im from NY it could be no other way

sep11ie
03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Moved to H-Town, fell in love with basketball.

Chronz
03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
They were the cheap ticket in town and the only way I could catch Dream

Angel2Maverick
03-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I was originally a lakers fan because of location but I never really liked them so while i was switching the channels on the t.v. I saw jerry stackhouse shooting a freethrow and thought is was hilarious so I chose the Mavericks

momoneyyyy
03-25-2010, 12:58 PM
i became a dallas mavericks fan because of the one and only dirk nowitzki.. aha

Sadds The Gr8
03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Location location

this.

Draco
03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
home town team.. and I liked the purty jerseys.. no, seriously, just because they're the home town team.

abe_froman
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
location.

Raph12
03-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I grew up in a bunch of different cities, so I don't have one true hometown.

I watch a lot of teams play and pick my fav teams by my fav players.

DaBUU
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
In 1990 the Pistons Bad Boys team beat (once again) the Bulls in the EC finals, and I cried like a 9 yr old lil sissy. I hated the Pistons and from that point forward I worshiped Mike. The next 8 years were great!

Pierzynski4Prez
03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
grew up in the chi, or burbs at least

bigsams50
03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Location. I grew up a Hornets fan, then when they moved i rooted for my favorite players usually, then when we got the bobcats i started rooting for them.

zadora5
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Miami i watched dwayne wade since collage and i decided where ever he goes i go... i didn't expect for us to be in a position to lose him... i hope that he stays a miami heat his career i have really grown on the heat

JDink24
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Location. I don't understand why people like teams that they can't watch every game on TV or Live. I know the NBA League pass exists now but that's still fairly new and I think most of us picked our teams long before it.

GO SIXERS!!!!!!!!!!!

JnasD
03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
I was born and raised in NYC and im a huge NY sports fan. Ive supported The Knicks from the 90's with Ewing, Starks, H20 and LJ. Im still a fan no matter how bad we are.

Big Zo
03-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Born and raised in Miami.

Bullsfan22
03-25-2010, 02:25 PM
location for me also.

SFGiants4life
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
playoffs vs. lakers a few years ago, damn vlade divac hitting it right to fisher for the last second loss :facepalm:

RaiderLakersA's
03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
When I was a kid, everyone in my family was a Warriors fan. They even tried to get me to route for the Warriors, but I just wasn't feeling them. When I was 8 or 9, my family moved to the Los Angeles area. One of our field trips was to see/meet the Lakers, and specifically Kareem Abdul Jabbar. (Magic wasn't with the Lakers at that point, joining the team the following year.) Unfortunately Kareem and the starters couldn't make the meet and greet, but we did get souvenirs and watched some of the bench players scrimmage. One of the best memories of my childhood. I've been pulling for the Lakers ever since.

Iodine
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Once while I was sleeping Danny Biasone's spirit came to me and told me that I would be reincarnated as a wallaby shaped dildo unless I worshiped the spurs

thescore53
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
i use to watch wwe than i flipped the channel and saw a close game against the hawks charlie v hit crucial shot, we were down 2 and bosh was at the freethrow line i just love the feeling of close games and raptors atleast back then kept on the edge of my seat

Toenail Clipper
03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
I live in LA, but I really liked Elton Brand, of course behind T-Mac.
Ahhhh, the 2000's.

Hellcrooner
03-25-2010, 02:45 PM
I liked basketball a lot nd attender my city teams games when i was young Breogan Lugo in the spanish league but there was no airings of Nba games in spain until year 1987 so all i knew was spanis league.

There were some magazines that talked this and that bout nba but not many information.

i Used to spent summers and christmas in Venezuela my mothers homeland and in one of those ocasions in 1984 or 85 christmas i was there and a Lakers vs Nuggets game was on Tv , since i was acostumed to the POOR european game of that time i was completely SHOCKED by the quality and speed of the game euro games used to end 90-80 and that game was like 130 to 120 Lakers won and i couldnt believe Magic giving no look passes and how the ran the fast break i also learned that Lakers never wore white and they were the ONLY team to do tht wich made them special so i decided to root for lakers and was always anxious for christmas holidays to come so i could watch some more games .
Then broadcastings started in spain and seeing the team Kill the Celts and Pistons in the finals only helped to get me to love the Lakers.

xabial
03-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Lived in NY most my life. Not a fan because my team has 17 chips, or the poseasons. i get made fun for being a knicks fan in NY

Cubs Win
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I was born in '91 and grew up in Chicago..I think you can figure out the rest.

sacgiants1213
03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Born in Sac. Glory days were fun. I Hope i get to see another long playoff steak.

thescore53
03-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Ahhhh, the 2000's.

how did go by choosing the clppers over laker and are you also a bit of a laker fan?

Wilson
03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
I was introduced to basketball in a PE lesson in high school and loved it, so I bought NBA Live 2003. I saw NBA.com listed somewhere on the game so I decided to check it out. I was 14 at the time I think, and started trying to follow the Lakers just because it was a name I recognized :o

I was only able to watch them once every couple of weeks at the most, but I got hooked.

thescore53
03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Ahhhh, the 2000's.

how did go by choosing the clppers over laker and are you also a bit of a laker fan?

IversonIsKrazy
03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Raptors: Only Canadian NBA team...
Bulls: Rose, Noah.
Spurs: Duncan, fav player of all-time (although my name might confuse u)

xbrackattackx
03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Family tradition and Home town we are all Laker fans!

Shady66
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
My friend is a huge lakers fan, and i hated basketball, then in the playoffs a few years back they were playing eachother, so i wanted phoenix to win to piss him off. Then i decided to watch a phoenix game, and it was the first time i watched a basketball game without falling asleep. I have loved them ever since :D

heathonater
03-25-2010, 05:21 PM
became a portland fan because they are the only pro team in my state and going to a few games when i was young helped me become a fan of the blazers.

Brewhouse94
03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
When i was a kid i was a huge bulls fan not just for Jordan but i loved Scottie Pippin, When the Raptors came into the league i immediately gravitated toward them being from Canada it was kinda like rooting for the home team and been cheering for them ever since from Mighty Mouse to CB4. Go Dinos!

Vinny642
03-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Hornets!!!
When I was around 8-11 I liked the Hornets but didn't follow basketball at all, I fell in love with their logo and colors. Also at the time my cousin was a fan. I alway just stuck with them. I am a die hard fan all the way from New Jersey!

Thatruth32
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
born and raised in the bay plus took my pops teams.. giants warriors and niners... easy as that

zae316
03-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Im from the Bay Area & for some reason I dont like ANY Bay Area teams. I would watch AI back at Georgetown & when my 76ers drafted him I instantly became a Sixers diehard. My other teams are the Bengals, Tigers, & the Michigan Wolverines....you know im not a banwagon hopper, just look at my teams & imagine the disappointment ive had to go through :bang:

magichatnumber9
03-25-2010, 07:18 PM
i m a foreigner (Germany) and i spent a year in Boston and i take a trip to beantown almost every year. it was my first live nba game ever @ the garden in '99 vs. the knicks since then i ve been hooked to green!! :)Your a Bostonian in my book!:cool: I was born in Mass. I hope to die here and have my ashes spread in the cape cod canal. Celtics fan even though I have other NBA teams I enjoy watching. Like the Thunder, Spurs, ATlanta, Golden State. When they play the C's forget about it.

jimbobjarree
03-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm a foreigner so cant be location for me (unless you count the mighty Leicester Riders)

I always liked basketball, and back in '06 I sat on a table with a big Nuggets fan who became a good friend. Because it was september/october it was a perfect chance to get involved with a team I had no idea about the NBA at that time, so I looked up team logos/names, and I wanted a team in the Nuggets division who were rivals and could compete with them. Jazz were perfect.

Started just checking scores, then listening to games on audio pass (league pass wasnt available outside the US until last season). Then from about February '07 when I somehow got some guys league pass password I was able to watch every game, and have done since.

DLeeicious
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
It was next to impossible to live near Chicago in the 90s and not become a Bulls fan. EVERYONE was a Bulls fan. Even girls who couldn't care less about baseketball watched the Bulls games. I was 7 when we won our first championship so I was the perfect age to become obsessive and it's still true to this day. I remember when we won our 4th 5th and 6th titles there were parties on the streets outside our quiet suburban town. Those were the days!

Master Mind
03-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Born and raised in the county of Dade...Miami all day

Lakers552432
03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Lakers

I start to like them after O'Neal left lakers after 04 season
I live in Utah (not Mormon lol) anyway everyone here pretty much hate Kobe because well everything n I remember how they talk trash about Kobe rapeimg or whatever so just to piss them off I picked lakers haha

I went throuh pretty hard time with lakers not making playoffs n Kobe being injury next season n losing to suns two year straight especially one losing to them being after up 3 to 1 but I am glad I stayed with lakers because they are one of the best team now hahap

masalex1205
03-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Location. I still like the Hornets too even though I hate George Shinn but they still have that NC connection with Chris Paul. Anyway, I don't anybody has ever accused a bobcats fan of being a bandwagoner.

Not suprised we're not hearing from the million guys with the screenname "Kobe24dabomb" or "Kobeisthebest" on this; doesn't make too much sense to be from Missourri and a Lakers fan

dodie53
03-25-2010, 07:56 PM
i'm a fan of steve nash

BALLER71
03-25-2010, 08:01 PM
My hometown team is Miami. I began watching the Heat when Eddie Jones was the franchise player lol

JWO35
03-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Born & Raised in Detroit, MI

jackdawson
03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Location.

xBLAMEITON24x
03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Born and Raised in Los Angeles and grew up watching Magic Johnson

bahama0811
03-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Born and raised in Denver so it made it an easy choice for me. I've been a fan since about 1985 when I was 3. It was hard living through the 11 win season.

Law25
03-25-2010, 11:24 PM
It was in 90 when the Lakers were in the finals against the bulls. I was six and my mom just started dating my soon to be step dad. He had me watching every game that finals and couldnt shet up about the Magic. He moved in an year later around the time Magic retired and i remember him crying. That was when i realy paid attention. It was like something must be really great about this game where it makes grown ups cry. I also remember him declaring no one in his house would cheer for anyone other than the Lakers. I was like this is my moms house i can do what i want. Twenty years later, Go Lakers. LOL

HuRRiCaNeS324
03-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Born and raised in Miami. Never understood rooting for another team that isnt your hometown, unless youre a bandwagon hopper.

DitchDat
03-26-2010, 03:32 AM
My high school coach was a big Antoine Walker fan and he put me onto the Celtics, been following em since then.

Sadds The Gr8
03-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Born and raised in Miami. Never understood rooting for another team that isnt your hometown, unless youre a bandwagon hopper.

this. Well I cheer for the Colts but that's because Canada doesn't have a NFL team....and the CFL sucks.

Lizard King
03-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Location. If I move, so will my fanhood. Sorry, but I enjoy watching every game on TV and attending the games as well.

Evolution23
03-26-2010, 04:33 AM
IM from NY... MY teams Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers... u already know... Lot of bandwagon guys that like the yankees here.