PDA

View Full Version : MJ - Not Sure How To Construct A Championship Roster

kblo247
03-25-2010, 04:56 AM
"There are very few Kobe Bryants out there. LeBron hasn't won yet. Dwyane Wade had Shaq [O'Neal] sitting next to him and he had Pat Riley coaching him. So there are a lot of other components that come into play to say if you're an NBA championship team," Jordan said. "Detroit did a great job in winning and they had no one superstar on that team. Boston won with three All-Stars. The Lakers won with two All-Stars.

"To say what's the clear cut ingredient to win a championship, I don't know. I really, really don't know. I think we have the ingredients to compete and surpass a lot of expectations."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5019056

I get what he is saying and at least he is honest.

How I interpret it is like this:

MJ is saying Kobe is #1 when saying "its not like i can just find a Kobe Bryant out of thin air".Then he goes on to say the help Wade needed (great center, great coach) to pull it off. Then he say Lebron is great in theory but hasn't won jack yet. If Lebron had won you could say there's two Kobes out there more or less or a Lebron and a Kobe, but no more than 2 will grow on trees at the same time.

Those two are the only two super duper stars to not have a team with a legend so to speak on it recently. Kobe just won with gasol (not yet a legend, shaq was). so it means KB doesn't need a LEGEND right now to win it all, just another allstar big. If Lebron wins with his cast he will change MJ's mind on what it takes to win as he doesn't need any current allstars, just former all stars and vets who know their role to win.

Long story short, to me MJ just said there is no set formula to really win in the current NBA as none of the title teams since the Bulls have followed close to the same script

- Spurs won because of defense and everyone doing their job around Duncan

- Kobe/Shaq Lakers won because those 2 flat out dominated together and they had 3 reliable support guys

- Pistons won by having a squad with 4 all star players but a very balance attack and emphasis on team work

- Boston won because of a mix of a future HOF trio, last season vet signings, and an incredible zone defense

- LA just won with a superstar SG as the primary weapon, a balanced contribution from the next 4 guys (Fisher, Gasol, Ariza, and Odom), but little consistent help from anyone else.

So my question is what do you think it will take to make the Bobcats a championship team?

B.JenningsMVP
03-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Melo to Bobcats!!! haha
That'd be great to see IMO

tredigs
03-25-2010, 05:11 AM
So my question is what do you think it will take to make the Bobcats a championship team?

I love how after all the Kobe/Laker jocking, that's what you settle as the "question".

The BobCats need a LOT of work to be a contender, not even worth talking about, and you and me know that it has nothing to do with what your intent of this post was, SO here's hoping the Cavs knock the Lakers off their pedestal!
: ]

Zefflin
03-25-2010, 06:49 AM
I highly dislike and strongly disregard anything this guy ^ says.

As for your question..."So my question is what do you think it will take to make the Bobcats a championship team?"

Simple, for Jordan to change the team name. Instant contenders.

Draco
03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
I love how after all the Kobe/Laker jocking, that's what you settle as the "question".

The BobCats need a LOT of work to be a contender, not even worth talking about, and you and me know that it has nothing to do with what your intent of this post was, SO here's hoping the Cavs knock the Lakers off their pedestal!
: ]

lol

Spiderman 1nner
03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
a point guard that will average minimum 8 apg. One of tha Hornets' point guards mite become available after this season, if tha Bobcats relly wanna compete, they shouldd make a move.

The_Pharouh
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
to learn how to make a good pick in draft ?

JordansBulls
03-25-2010, 10:24 AM
First thing he needs is a superstar player. Then he can go from there.

ShockerArt
03-25-2010, 10:46 AM
If you want to not only build a good team, but win a title, your choices are:

1. Tank a season the next time a dominant big is in the draft (San Antonio). This would be the most conservative way to start your team. The only problem is the lack of dominant big men.

2. Get an elite, do-it-all swing man (MJ/Kobe/LeBron/Wade). This takes some luck because it's not always easy to forecast which wing players will make the leap. Plus, you have to have a high pick/tank a season, unless you're the Lakers and someone trades you Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac.

3. Be the Lakers or Celtics. Top level players seem to find a way onto their rosters (especially the Lakers) via trades and free agency. I don't see too many other teams landing Garnett/Allen in the same offseason. The Lakers recent history is ridiculous (draft-day trade for Kobe, acquiring Shaq in his prime, getting Gasol for almost nothing).

Sixerlover
03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
It all starts with a superstar. From there you see what he needs around him to be successful.

Korman12
03-25-2010, 11:08 AM
A superstar, like everyone else said.

Outside of that (assuming he's not a PG or C), they would probably need a pass-first point guard and an at least somewhat legit center to facilitate the D and put up double-digit ppg.

Their defense is there, though.

rabzouz 96
03-25-2010, 11:25 AM

a start over.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-25-2010, 11:26 AM
He problley shoulda said this.... before he got the job.

Nighthawk
03-25-2010, 11:36 AM
to learn how to make a good pick in draft ?

gerald henderson baby!!!!!!!

Nighthawk
03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
He problley shoulda said this.... before he got the job.

lol

Storch
03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe jordan should suit up and play as their starting sg ;)

JNA17
03-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe jordan should suit up and play as their starting sg ;)

But Stephen Jackson would be super pissed! :p