PDA

View Full Version : Greatest of all time not michael jordan?

celtisox41
03-23-2010, 09:21 PM
I read this article (blog maybe i really don't know) and it was pretty interesting. According to it they were very comparible players

http://home.earthlink.net/~lnkn/birdjord.htm

If you look at the mvp's and championships jordan has the advantage, but he played in a far worse league than larry bird. In my oppinion Bird was the best ever. I think that the only reason Jordan is considered to be the best is because of the amount of publicity he got and he really had nobody close to him to compete with him. Thoughts?

IRUAM #21
03-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Clearly Mike James, there I got it out of the way.

Iodine
03-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Jordan wasnt even the best SG for the bulls

TONI KUKOC

Raidaz4Life
03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
This would be posted by a Celtics fan

D Roses Bulls
03-23-2010, 09:33 PM
there would be a lot of could be number 2's like russle,bird,magic, shaq, hakeem..... the list could go on and on. im just waitin for someone to say kobe, lol

Tqafg96
This would be posted by a Celtics fan

No i agree with him. I think Bird is better.

bmanjones
I read this article (blog maybe i really don't know) and it was pretty interesting. According to it they were very comparible players

If you look at the mvp's and championships jordan has the advantage, but he played in a far worse league than larry bird. In my oppinion Bird was the best ever. I think that the only reason Jordan is considered to be the best is because of the amount of publicity he got and he really had nobody close to him to compete with him. Thoughts?

well i have to say celtisox that has to be the best, most unbiased opinion i ever heard......

SchyGuy11
03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
take any NBA player that ever lived, have them go 1 on 1 with MJ both in their prime, and MJ will beat them. What makes him even better is he was a great team player who made everyone around him better as well so he was the best team and individual player. MJ= G.O.A.T

D Roses Bulls
03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
wait, i just read the little comparison...... to even put bird into jordans sentence is insane. even larry bird himself called michael the greatest basketball player he has ever see. even after the playoffs in 86, he said "it was like god disguised as michael jordan, i never thought anyone could do that to the celtics". come on man

Ezekial
03-23-2010, 09:38 PM
The dude gives Jordan no credit whatsoever, ZOMG YOU WOULD THINK SOMEONE WITH AIR IN THEIR NAME WOULD GET MOAR BLOCKS! Blah blah blah.

As you see here Bird averaged less of a field goal percentage. But, thats all good cuz Jordan can Dunk.
And Jordan barley had more blocks than him in more games, You would think someone with Air would get more blocks.
Jordan avg.'d 7 more ppg, won twice the championships, oh and he's less of a player because he retired twice, it was 3 times btw idiot, remember when he played baseball?
Birdman was good dont get me wrong....

But this guy is straight clownin.

Iodine
03-23-2010, 09:40 PM
he was the best team and individual player. MJ= G.O.A.T

Jordan isnt even a top 15 team player of all time. He was never an amazing teamate and was only a really good one after his baseball haitus

Still Boston people are gonna dickride bird even thought he wasnt even the best celtic of all time

bctgg27
03-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Whoever wrote this sounded very bias. They definitely favored Bird.

Ezekial
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
No i agree with him. I think Bird is better.

I think the Yankees are a terrible organization.... May be my opinion, but the Yankees are the Cowboys of the MLB, everyone thinks their "America's team" but everyone I talk to hates the Cowboys and the Yankees, including myself.

D Roses Bulls
03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Jordan isnt even a top 15 team player of all time. He was never an amazing teamate and was only a really good one after his baseball haitus

Still Boston people are gonna dickride bird even thought he wasnt even the best celtic of all time

he may have not have been the nicest team mate, but he made everyone better and play harder. you had to earn MJ's respect. he only rode the people who he thought was slacking. as the greatest competitor ever, you want your team mates to compete as hard as you compete

JWO35
03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Kwame Brown > Michael Jordan

The Student surpassed the Master...

Iodine
03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
he may have not have been the nicest team mate, but he made everyone better and play harder. you had to earn MJ's respect. he only rode the people who he thought was slacking. as the greatest competitor ever, you want your team mates to compete as hard as you compete

Oh trust me I know MJ would win some guys over, but I just prefer the leadership of guys like walton (for the blazers), Russ, Magic, Reed, and guys like that as a personal preference

I am not calling MJ Rick Barry lol

Ezekial
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM

You're a straight hater.

You think Pippen would be a HoF without Jordan?
What about Rodman, think he woulda been in the league very long without Jordan with all of his weird antics?
Steve Kerr (my boy) and Tony Kukoc were sooo amazing without him too.

Jordan didn't make ANY of them better, eh?

You don't win 6 championships with 1 player if they weren't something special. Lebron hasn't even won a title yet, everyone says hes pretty good, is he good enough to carry a whole team through the Championship/playoffs 6 times..

Jokes, I hope, that Jordan isn't top 15...

dolfan83
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM

not making enemies but your dumb for making this suggestion, n the closest person to jordan would be wilt not bird ....... funny thing im not a jordan fan but defending him on this is too easy

celtisox41
03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
well i have to say celtisox that has to be the best, most unbiased opinion i ever heard......

Did you even bother to read the stats or the reason why i think that?

dolfan83
03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Jordan wasnt even the best SG for the bulls

TONI KUKOC

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::confused:WHAT, WOW i dont even know how to respond to this other than sayn stop smoking dude its cleary bad for your health and making rational decisions

DLeeicious
03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Rose

Iodine
03-23-2010, 09:54 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::confused:WHAT, WOW i dont even know how to respond to this other than sayn stop smoking dude its cleary bad for your health and making rational decisions

Awesome at reading sarcasm

JDMac80
03-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Jordan isnt even a top 15 team player of all time.

hey putz, name your 15. dont say something stupid and think you wont have to explain your ridiculous diarrhea of the mouth. this should be good....

mser58
03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I think MJ is 2nd to Wilt

dolfan83
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Awesome at reading sarcasm

lol i just seen your qoutes on the next page lol,, still coulnt belive ou said that though

celtisox41
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
For the article i only read the stats so the biased things he says after i didn't know about when i posted. And about the stats if they are almost EXACTLY the same then why does everyone automatically say Jordan? They were pretty much the same player. I just think Nike got to everyone

Iodine
03-23-2010, 09:57 PM
You're a straight hater.

You think Pippen would be a HoF without Jordan?
What about Rodman, think he woulda been in the league very long without Jordan with all of his weird antics?
Steve Kerr (my boy) and Tony Kukoc were sooo amazing without him too.

Jordan didn't make ANY of them better, eh?

You don't win 6 championships with 1 player if they weren't something special. Lebron hasn't even won a title yet, everyone says hes pretty good, is he good enough to carry a whole team through the Championship/playoffs 6 times..

Jokes, I hope, that Jordan isn't top 15...

Your just a ****ing idiot. ill put it in big letters. I DO THINK JORDAN IS THE GOAT YET BECAUSE I SAID HE WAS NOT THE PERFECT TEAMATE IM A HATER RIGHT?

Also LOL at your rodman comment. Rodman had already won 2 rings and was coming of 3 straight 16+ rebound seasons when he came to chicago. Once again though im a hater.

I respect MJ and acknowledge he is the GOAT, but to say he was the best teammate of even his era is funny beyond words

tredigs
03-23-2010, 09:59 PM
This "article" is hilariously biased and even more amateur. The link website is from a Boston site called the "Wicked Pissah Website"?? Weird!

Larry was the man, but as an all around player he wasn't on the same podium as MJ. Larry was a better pure shooter than him, and a better rebounder (being that he was a small forward/power forward, shouldn't be surprising), but MJ had him virtually everywhere else. He was a better scorer, and way ahead of Bird defensively.

The advanced stats on Jordan (28 career PER to Bird's 23.5 -- ton more win shares, etc), along with the personal accolades (6 MVP's to Bird's 3, 9x all defensive first team to Larry's 3x all defensive second team, etc) and team accomplishments (6 titles in 6 chances for Jordan to 3 titles in 10 chances for Larry) all dwarf Larry Legends.

Larry is the man, and deserves better than this crap link (the steals part was the most hilarious. "but both round to two". With Jordan's at 2.3 a game and Larry's at 1.7) to do an argument like this justice.

PLAYERS FAN
03-23-2010, 09:59 PM
take any NBA player that ever lived, have them go 1 on 1 with MJ both in their prime, and MJ will beat them. What makes him even better is he was a great team player who made everyone around him better as well so he was the best team and individual player. MJ= G.O.A.T

Never heard of Jordan Rules? Phil Jackson made Jordan a team player.

jackdawson
03-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Yup!!! Here's the all time list:

1. Bird
2. Pierce
3. Rondo

10. Michael Jordan.

Yay!!! MJ is a top ten all time :clap::clap::clap:

celtisox41
03-23-2010, 10:04 PM
This "article" is hilariously biased and even more amateur. The link website is from a Boston site called the "Wicked Pissah Website"?? Weird!

Larry was the man, but as an all around player he wasn't on the same podium as MJ. Larry was a better pure shooter than him, and a better rebounder (being that he was a small forward/power forward, shouldn't be surprising), but MJ had him virtually everywhere else. He was a better scorer, and way ahead of Bird defensively.

The advanced stats on Jordan (28 career PER to Bird's 23.5 -- ton more win shares, etc), along with the personal accolades (6 MVP's to Bird's 3, 9x all defensive first team to Larry's 3x all defensive second team, etc) and team accomplishments (6 titles in 6 chances for Jordan to 3 titles in 10 chances for Larry) all dwarf Larry Legends.

Larry is the man, and deserves better than this crap link (the steals part was the most hilarious. "but both round to two". With Jordan's at 2.3 a game and Larry's at 1.7) to do an argument like this justice.

I already said i didn't know if it was a blog or article. And Bird was a better all around player than jordan, he had more rebounds and assists. Also steals and blocks aren't the only defensive stat thats important, if you only get .5 steals a game but you shut down your opponent, you're a good defensive player. And Jordan played in a much weaker league, give me 3 teams that could compare to the 80's lakers, sixers, and pistons

Iodine
03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
hey putz, name your 15. dont say something stupid and think you wont have to explain your ridiculous diarrhea of the mouth. this should be good....

In no order
Russ
Hakeem
Walton (with the blazers only)
Bird
Magic
Jerry West
Dr. J
Willis Reed
Hondo
Elgin Baylor
Zeke
Fraizer
Stockton
Kareem
Nash
edit: forgot duncan

If you want guys who were better TEAMATES NOT PLAYERS look there

once again not saying MJ is like wilt or Rick Barry, he's in the 15-22 range but saying he's better than those guys is only halfway debatable

zambo4president
03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
No Kareem Rush love I see

Arsenal17
03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
This is just stupid. MJ was the best player/athlete ever to play the game. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong. The bigger debate is who is #2. I would go with Magic on that one.

Lakerfan In NY
03-23-2010, 10:17 PM

If you look at the mvp's and championships jordan has the advantage, but he played in a far worse league than Larry bird. In my oppinion Bird was the best ever. I think that the only reason Jordan is considered to be the best is because of the amount of publicity he got and he really had nobody close to him to compete with him. Thoughts?

Larry Bird? He wasn't even the best Celtics of all-time (one William Russell holds that honor), but they basically played in the same era, they're only 6 yrs apart.

magichatnumber9
03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
You want to hear an unbiased opinion. I watched both players that is Bird and Jordan. Who was better, Michael his air-ness Jordan. Bird was down right ****ing outstanding on the court. He is called Larry Legend for a reason. But did he lock down the NBA,,,,,, NO. Did Magic Johnson lock down the NBA,,,,, NO. Did Michael Jordan,,,,, Hell Yeah. Why do you think the league went completely ****ing nuts when Jordan retired the first time. Because they knew he would come back and luckily for Houston they banked on it. People say Jordan was a bad teammate, what because he was the leader and distributed tough love. Please. We need more leaders like Jordan who hold there teammates accountable on that court, instead of giving them the silent treatment like Dwayne Wade.

LALakersKC
03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Jordan.

Bullsfan22
03-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Derrick Rose duhhh

Bishnoff
03-23-2010, 10:23 PM
The Big Dipper :p

Bishnoff
03-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Such a biased analysis. He doesn’t even use decimal places to show the significant disparity in SPG. So Jordan made it to the free-throw line more and could dunk; good for him. In rebuttal should we criticise Bird for being 3 inches taller than Jordan?

tredigs
03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Larry Bird? He wasn't even the best Celtics of all-time (one William Russell holds that honor), but they basically played in the same era, they're only 6 yrs apart.

Exactly. I'm seriously wondering if he realizes that they played in the league together for EIGHT YEARS.

And Orig poster, your point about Larry being a better all around player because "he had more assists and rebounds" doesn't hold any water what so ever. That is the most surface thin argument you could possibly make, and I'm not going to bother responding to a post like that in any detail. If you make a legitimate point as to why you think he was a better all around player, then a discussion could start. But right now you just sound like a homer to me, and are linking decade old homer websites to prove your points (didn't even know that MJ played for the Wiz?...). I'd say that the VAST majority of basketball talent scouts who have seen both of these guys play would choose Jordan over Bird in a mock draft. I've really never heard a great argument as to why Bird would be considered better.

Bird vs. Magic? Sure, I can see the argument. But not vs. Jordan.

Such a biased analysis. He doesn’t even use decimal places to show the significant disparity in SPG. So Jordan made it to the free-throw line more and could dunk; good for him. In rebuttal should we criticise Bird for being 3 inches taller than Jordan?

hahaah... exactly. The most pathetically openly homerish link I've seen in a while.

JonnyBrav000
03-23-2010, 10:36 PM
This is stupid, Larry Bird is great but doesn't compare with Jordan. As a matter of fact Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson was better than Bird. MJ = greatest of all time... period.

JWO35
03-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Michael Jordan isn't even the best Jordan to play in the NBA....

JDMac80
03-23-2010, 10:52 PM
In no order
Russ
Hakeem
Walton (with the blazers only)
Bird
Magic
Jerry West
Dr. J
Willis Reed
Hondo
Elgin Baylor
Zeke
Fraizer
Stockton
Kareem
Nash
edit: forgot duncan

If you want guys who were better TEAMATES NOT PLAYERS look there

once again not saying MJ is like wilt or Rick Barry, he's in the 15-22 range but saying he's better than those guys is only halfway debatable

you obviously have crayons still lodged way up inside your nose from when you were a child. the wax seems to be affecting your brain functions. jordan was the one in the red 23 jersey. not sure if you remember that.

anyone else want to address this? i dont have the energy nor do i even know where to start with that list. one point to make though, you have 2 guys on there that played in the duration of their careers vs jordan with better teams and couldnt win.

stawka
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm not even gonna get myself upset by reading this ****

Squad13
03-23-2010, 11:06 PM
you obviously have crayons still lodged way up inside your nose from when you were a child. the wax seems to be affecting your brain functions. jordan was the one in the red 23 jersey. not sure if you remember that.

anyone else want to address this? i dont have the energy nor do i even know where to start with that list. one point to make though, you have 2 guys on there that played in the duration of their careers vs jordan with better teams and couldnt win.

He is saying they are better TEAM PLAYERS not overall. He said Jordan was the Greatest of all time, I suggest you learn to read.

avrpatsfan
03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
I like Bird and all, but Jordan is the best ever until somebody wins 6 world championships while carrying his team and hitting tons of game winning shots. Wilt Chamberlain might be #2. Nobody averages 50 points a game and doesn't get recognition.

JordansBulls
03-23-2010, 11:10 PM

Larry Bird lost with HCA 7 times. The most times for any top 10 player.

Also you can see a very similar thread here:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466964

Oh nevermind, I went back and read this thread. It is filled with nothing but sarcasm.