PDA

View Full Version : Joe Johnson too low key?

beardown78
03-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I just was curious why Joe Johnson doesn't seem to get respect from fans and the national media as A upper echelon star in the NBA. Would he have more star power if he were more charismatic or if he were more of A volume scorer and more selfish as a teammate more concerned with personal stats, your thoughts

HiphopRelated
03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
He's a basketball Houdini

tking07
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Hopefully he's a Bull next season!

Chronz
03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Wait so your saying the guy who forced his way out of a championship contender to join a floundering team isnt concerned with stats? Not that its a bad thing but lets not act like hes some saint who is holding back for the betterment of the team.

The guy is who he is, its not about wanting anything. This idea that players can just put up whatever stats they want is horrendously flawed and abused around here. Everyone has an excuse for their favorite player.

Hes already getting recognition so whats the problem?

Raph12
03-23-2010, 02:43 PM
He's getting recognition as the #4 best SG in the league (Kobe, Wade, Roy and then JJ) for being a near 20-5-5 guy. He plays on a team where they play with a well-balanced attack on both ends, he's not a superstar and shouldn't be seen as one IMO.

Evans is doing that (20-5-5) in his rookie season soooo....

Tony_Starks
03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Wait so your saying the guy who forced his way out of a championship contender to join a floundering team isnt concerned with stats? Not that its a bad thing but lets not act like hes some saint who is holding back for the betterment of the team.

The guy is who he is, its not about wanting anything. This idea that players can just put up whatever stats they want is horrendously flawed and abused around here. Everyone has an excuse for their favorite player.

Hes already getting recognition so whats the problem?

I can't call Phoenix a championship contender since they never made it to the finals.

Also Im not so sure he forced his way out but I think it was more of them not wanting to commit to him long term.

... that aside I do agree though he gets plenty of props. Last I checked he was team Jordan and thats a pretty big deal in itself.

Joshtd1
03-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I think he's gotten plenty of props..enough that he should get anyway. I still think a healthy Manu is better then him, but Im a homer :smoking:

Chronz
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I can't call Phoenix a championship contender since they never made it to the finals.

Also Im not so sure he forced his way out but I think it was more of them not wanting to commit to him long term.

... that aside I do agree though he gets plenty of props. Last I checked he was team Jordan and thats a pretty big deal in itself.
They were winning 60+ games, thats a contender any way you slice it.

He was a RFA, PHX wanted to match the offer sheet, he told them no.

Blackjack24
03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I didn't know RFA players had the right to say 'no.' -- Did he threaten a hold out or something? I remember Phoenix got picks and Diaw or something, but clearly Johnson would have been a better player for them.

Lakers4ItAll
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
He's getting recognition as the #4 best SG in the league (Kobe, Wade, Roy and then JJ) for being a near 20-5-5 guy. He plays on a team where they play with a well-balanced attack on both ends, he's not a superstar and shouldn't be seen as one IMO.

Evans is doing that (20-5-5) in his rookie season soooo....

Agreed

Chronz
03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
I didn't know RFA players had the right to say 'no.' -- Did he threaten a hold out or something? I remember Phoenix got picks and Diaw or something, but clearly Johnson would have been a better player for them.
Why would you want a player who doesnt want to be there, Odom pulled it on us a few years back, frankly I have more respect for players when they tell us what they want than when they hide it from us and stab us in the back ala Brand.

As always there are 2 sides to every story, Im guessing Phx insulted JJ somehow with the contract situation.

JordansBulls
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM

How the hell is a team that wins 60 games not a chamionship team?

magichatnumber9
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
We all know who Joe Johnson is. There have been threads about him in the past. And there will be threads about him in the future.

Tony_Starks
03-23-2010, 04:06 PM
How the hell is a team that wins 60 games not a chamionship team?

By defenition a championship team would be someone that is competing in a championship game. They never did. They were a excellent regular season, decent playoff, team.

JayW_1023
03-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I think he's gotten plenty of props..enough that he should get anyway. I still think a healthy Manu is better then him, but Im a homer :smoking:

A healthy Manu isn't better than JJ, but really close. It's hard to argue your point the way Manu is playing now.

As for JJ...Steve Nash and Amare would've had at least one ring if he had bothered to stay in Phoenix. The Suns would still be contenders now.

marlinsfan24
03-23-2010, 05:52 PM

I agree with the Manu over JJ.

td0tsfinest
03-23-2010, 06:40 PM

1. :rolleyes: right

2. This Guy is also part of Team Jordan (http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/index.html#team/jared-jefferies)

JordansBulls
03-23-2010, 06:44 PM
By defenition a championship team would be someone that is competing in a championship game. They never did. They were a excellent regular season, decent playoff, team.

I'm sorry that doesn't make sense. A championship team is a team that is good enough to win the title.

Kakaroach
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Its funny to think he's still under-rated. The Hawks aren't much without Joe Johnson. Just another low-tier playoff team that would get bounced out in the first round of the playoffs.

avrpatsfan
03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
The whole Atlanta Hawks team is under respected and so is Joe Johnson. He is a good player but not top 10. He deserves recognition though. He's a great player.

ugafan
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Joe Johnson is easily the most overrated player in the league. I watch every single Hawk game, trust me.

Chronz
03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry that doesn't make sense. A championship team is a team that is good enough to win the title.

You guys need to drop the irrelevant issue, just agree they were atleast contenders. Everyone is happy that way

smith&wesson
03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
They were winning 60+ games, thats a contender any way you slice it.

He was a RFA, PHX wanted to match the offer sheet, he told them no.

I agree, i think if horry didnt provoke that fight with amare in the series that year that phx would have been in the the finals.

nash, jonhson, barbosa, amare, raja bell, boris diaw = contenders for back then.

jonhson does get recognition. free agent talks suround lebron, bosh, wade and then its jonson and amare. the funny thing is alot of ppl are projecting new york to atain amare and joe jonson. I think that would be an interesting reunion with dantoni in new york.

JayW_1023
03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Johnson is one of those guys who would have a better legacy as a second option on a contender...Chris Bosh, ditto.

It's good to see Vince Carter finally figuring that out now in Orlando.

Tony_Starks
03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Joe Johnson is easily the most overrated player in the league. I watch every single Hawk game, trust me.

The man puts up all star numbers, hits game winners, and has taken a team that was a total laughing stock to one of the best teams in the East. He not only scores but leads the team in assist.

Seriously man, what in the world else can you ask for?

ugafan
03-23-2010, 08:03 PM
The man puts up all star numbers, hits game winners, and has taken a team that was a total laughing stock to one of the best teams in the East. He not only scores but leads the team in assist.

Seriously man, what in the world else can you ask for?

Is consistency too much to ask for?
I know he doesn't suck, but he's nowhere close to the franchise player which people are labeling him. He cannot score consistently and he seemingly only turns it on when he feels like it.

Also, it's not like he's doing it by himself. The Hawks without him are still a playoff team:

PG: Mike Bibby
SG: Jamal Crawford
SF: Marvin Williams
PF: Josh Smith
C: Al Horford

JJ gets way too much ****ing credit.

ugafan
03-23-2010, 08:03 PM
I know he doesn't suck, but he's nowhere close to the franchise player which people are labeling him. He cannot score consistently and he seemingly only turns it on when he feels like it.

Also, it's not like he's doing it by himself. The Hawks without him are still a playoff team:

And I will laugh at the team that offers him anywhere near a max contract.

Tony_Starks
03-23-2010, 08:12 PM

I don't really understand you're argument. He's putting up at least 21 a night which is pretty damn consistent to me and more than average. He also leads the team in assist so its not like all he's doing is scoring.

Marvin Williams is considered a bust of a draft pick. Bibby is on his last leg and his numbers are very ordinary, to say the least.

My point is before he got there you guys weren't even close to relevant and since have become a playoff team and some would argue contender. Does he not deserve the credit for that monumentous turnaround? If he leaves do you honestly think you'll get BETTER?

ugafan
03-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't really understand you're argument. He's putting up at least 21 a night which is pretty damn consistent to me and more than average. He also leads the team in assist so its not like all he's doing is scoring.

Marvin Williams is considered a bust of a draft pick. Bibby is on his last leg and his numbers are very ordinary, to say the least.

My point is before he got there you guys weren't even close to relevant and since have become a playoff team and some would argue contender. Does he not deserve the credit for that monumentous turnaround? If he leaves do you honestly think you'll get BETTER?
Last 10 games played:
27 pts
20 pts
18 pts
26 pts
18 pts
22 pts
20 pts
18 pts
10 pts
18 pts
14 pts

It ends up at 21 or so PPG, but he's not consistently putting up 21 so don't give me that ****.

He leads the team in assists because Bibby gets **** playing time due to Johnson and Crawford. Crawford gets more playing time than Bibby so JJ sometimes needs to pass the ball.

YOU consider Marvin a bust. He does what is needed of him every night. He can go for 20 every night if he got the touches(26 vs SA 2 games ago) he can hit the boards hard(14 boards vs CHA 3 games ago) but he doesn't take stupid shots. Your Bibby argument is irrelevant because he barely plays, and when he does he is serviceable. The Hawks would be at worst a 7 seed.

You act like JJ came and we magically got better. Not like we drafted Josh Smith and Al Horford right? And we never traded for Bibby and Crawford right?

I'm done here, you're just wrong.

what54!?
03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
no he gets the love right where he's at. he's a beast and is the 1st reason of the hawks becoming good but I don't see him as a player who will put a team on his back and lead them to a title. Still hell of a player though

JordansBulls
03-23-2010, 11:37 PM

Depends on where you rank him?

Raidaz4Life
03-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I think JJ is pretty overrated... he is way too inconsistent to be considered a superstar.

footballer2369
03-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Joe Johnson too mediocre?

mr_relevant
03-24-2010, 04:06 AM
He needs to work on his charisma and possibly fire his current PR guy. He's way behind guys such as Kobe, Melo, Lebron in terms of media exposure. Basketball-wise though, I find nothing wrong with him.

heathonater
03-24-2010, 04:10 AM
no i dont think he is too focused on personal stats. he has helped raise the hawks to contenders, and i guarantee that the suns would love to have him around right now.