PDA

View Full Version : Superstars disgraced by playing for other teams..

PHX2daDEATH
03-23-2010, 02:52 AM
We always hear it in football more then basketball..

Unitas playing for the Chargers
Emmitt Smith playing for the Cardinals
Jerry Rice in a Raiders Jersey..

In terms of the NBA the three that really stand out to me are Karl Malone playing for the Lakers , Patrick Ewing on the Magic and Sonics and Hakeem in Toronto.. We know Karl was chasing a title with the Lakers but what were Pat and Dream thinking? Two of the best centers of their era on mediocre teams...

What players from your favorite have done this? Dont be afraid to go back in time either!

TopsyTurvy
03-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Might get hate for this, but Kareem Abdul-Jabbar demanded a trade from the Bucks team who had Oscar Robertson in a move that is still scrutinized today. I'm not even a Bucks fan, but to go from the high of Oscar Robertson + Kareem making a push for another title to Kareem asking to be traded for both on and off the court reasons...

LeBroom
03-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Chris Webber's cameo stint with the Warriors a few years ago.

asandhu23
03-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Baron Davis: From Warriors to Clippers....

Barry Bonds: from San Diego Padres to San Francisco Giants.

Kevin Garnett: Wolves to Celtics

Wilt Chamberlain: From Warriors to 76ers to Lakers.

Joe Montana: Niners to Kansas City

asandhu23
03-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Chris Webber's cameo stint with the Warriors a few years ago.

Last year

TopsyTurvy
03-23-2010, 03:26 AM

:nod:

abe_froman
03-23-2010, 03:36 AM
mj,wizards..he still wasnt bad or anything and motivation to do it.but the last shot in the 98 finals was the storybook ending,and should have been it

Master Mind
03-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Shaq

HiphopRelated
03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Hakeem on the Raptors

Tufnel_11
03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
- Roger Clemens on the Yankees
- Brett Favre on the Jets, Vikes
- Ron Santo on the White Sox

Going to a rival is one of the things I find odd. Money talks I guess.

WatWoudJordanDo
03-23-2010, 08:23 AM

:shrug: did i miss something? pretty sure bonds only played for the pirates and giants. and either way he didnt disgrace himself by doing so.

Jack of Blades
03-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I was kinda pissed when Nash left the Mavs :(

Dallas has had a long streak of some pretty good PGs though. Nash, Harris, Kidd, and soon it will be Roddy.

69centers
03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
For me, it has to be Robert Parish going to the Hornets in '94 and then the Bulls in '96.

The Hornets had upset Boston in the 1st round of the '93 playoffs, and then he goes to play for the Celtic rival Bulls and wins a ring with them.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-23-2010, 09:34 AM
- Roger Clemens on the Yankees
- Brett Favre on the Jets, Vikes
- Ron Santo on the White Sox

Going to a rival is one of the things I find odd. Money talks I guess.

Still can't believe that happened.

Chelios to the RedWings for me.

lvlheaded
03-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Nomar on the A's

BOSTON617
03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
75 % of all yankee players lol

td0tsfinest
03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Damon from the BoSox to Yankees

Gretzky to St Louis

asandhu23
03-23-2010, 10:47 AM
:shrug: did i miss something? pretty sure bonds only played for the pirates and giants. and either way he didnt disgrace himself by doing so.

you are right! :facepalm: for me

Iodine
03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Why the **** are most of these posts been about other sports? I mean they are completey irrelevent, like me saying that Rakim's 7th seal butchered his legacy in this thread

Oh and to answer the thread im a big fan of Cwebb in Gstate and Sheed to celtics (not superstar but its still a massive fail)

Also all time Cooz playing for the royals afdter becoming their coach is funny ish to

Double_R
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
MARCUS ALLEN going into the HOF as a Chief... Still can't understand how this is allowed to happen... I don't care what your beef is with an owner/organization, the bottom line is the only reason your in the hall is because of what you did with the Raiders...

Young2Kinsler
03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Michael Finley being money hungry at the end of his career and leaving the town that made him what he was for our biggest rival. I'll never respect that piece of trash

Toenail Clipper
03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Elton Brand, that's what that ****** gets!

bigsams50
03-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Elton Brand, that's what that ****** gets!

This.

Beltrans Mole
03-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Patrick Ewing on the Sonics/Magic?

miller74
03-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Jerry Rice was still a good player on the raiders, but Jerry Rice on the Seahawks now thats terrible

Avenged
03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Shaq, as great as his legacy and resume is, he shouldn't be bouncing from team to team.

Tymer
03-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Jerry Rice was still a good player on the raiders, but Jerry Rice on the Seahawks now thats terrible

Jerry was still good on the Seahawks... when he was the 5th wideout on the Broncos now that is terrible

A.I. in Detroit

RaiderLakersA's
03-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Jerry Rice in a Raiders Jersey...

Bad example. Jerry wanted to continue to play, but the Niner organization had TO in hand and was gladly showing Rice the door. They insulted HIM by saying that he couldn't be an impact starter. Jerry had no choice but to walk. Truth be told, quite a few 49er fans were upset with Jerry for not agreeing to take a diminished role with the Niners. They, too, thought Rice was all but done.

Enter: Al Davis and The Raiders.

Sure, The Raiders get knocked as the place where careers go to die, but when that player happens to be a Rod Woodson or a Jerry Rice -- a player who still has some greatness left in the tank -- you have to give him a chance. What did Jerry do while a Raider, playing alongside another future HOF in Tim Brown? Not too badly. I'll let you look up his stats, including the Pro Bowl appearance and yet another Super Bowl appearance.

As for the original post, I didn't like Barkley to the Suns for some reason. Gary Payton to the Lakers was the other signing that gave me the willies. Didn't like them. Can't explain it.

THATSALL
03-23-2010, 12:47 PM

the worst in history. sad day for football

Double_R
03-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Bad example. Jerry wanted to continue to play, but the Niner organization had TO in hand and was gladly showing Rice the door. They insulted HIM by saying that he couldn't be an impact starter. Jerry had no choice but to walk. Truth be told, quite a few 49er fans were upset with Jerry for not agreeing to take a diminished role with the Niners. They, too, thought Rice was all but done.

Sure, The Raiders get knocked as the place where careers go to die, but when that player happens to be a Rod Woodson or a Jerry Rice -- a player who still has some greatness left in the tank -- you have to give him a chance. What did Jerry do while a Raider, playing alongside another future HOF in Tim Brown? Not too badly. I'll let you look up his stats, including the Pro Bowl appearance and yet another Super Bowl appearance.

As for the original post, I didn't like Barkley to the Suns for some reason. Gary Payton to the Lakers was the other signing that gave me the willies. Didn't like them. Can't explain it.

Exactly...

Marcus Allen again, it was insane

How about Shaq going to the Suns, then the Cavs... desperation at it's finest

lakerssssssss
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Iverson to Memphis which lasted something like 3 games. I still don't get what he was thinking. He should have retired after the year in Detroit. It was nice though to see Iverson back in 76ers jersey.

Jordan to the Wizards.

Big Zo
03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Jordan on the Wizards (can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to say it), and I personally hated seeing Alonzo Mourning on the Nets.

Chronz
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
You cannot disgrace yourself by continuing to play basketball, every season ADDS a chapter to ones career.

:nod:

:pity:

Raph12
03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
VC to NJ, they still hate him in TO for that.

UofA
03-23-2010, 02:50 PM

How was Garnett disgraced by playing for the C's, he got traded and won a title his first year with them after never winning one with the Twolves

Tony_Starks
03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I always thought that Ewing not retiring a Knick was a huge travesty and part of the reason they still suck til this very day... but hey

Lakers4ItAll
03-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Gary Payton
Shaq after Heat

Lakers4ItAll
03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Jordan on the Wizards (can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to say it), and I personally hated seeing Alonzo Mourning on the Nets.

:clap:

Chronz
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM

:clap:

On Page1
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12679639&postcount=7

mj,wizards..he still wasnt bad or anything and motivation to do it.but the last shot in the 98 finals was the storybook ending,and should have been it

Iodine
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Chronz you have reached your pwn limit for the day
please stop

Big Zo
03-23-2010, 03:49 PM
On Page1
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12679639&postcount=7

Whoops! Missed that one.

Bruno
03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
With a lot of these guys it was an attempt to prove they weren't washed up. The unsuccessful ring chasers are the only ones who left in disgrace, IMO. Even Laker luck couldnt shake off the Malone Curse.

JasonJohnHorn
03-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't think Ewing was thinking anything other than: I've been traded and I still want the money owed to me in my contract.

As for Hakeem, he made it very clear why he did it at the time. He was actually going to sign with Vancouver, but the team moved that season, so he signed with the Raptors. He had said that he wanted to be an international star in the world of basketball. I'm not sure how playing for a Canadian team really works for that, but I was expecting him to extend his career by playing in Europe after that, but.... yeah. Even knowing what he wanted to do by it, it seemed odd. I would have understood him playing in Europe to achieve that aim, but as a Toronto fan it was nice to see him in that jersey.

The biggest one in basketball I think is Jordan in a Wizards jersey.

SteveNash
03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Fat Dominique playing in the celebrity game.

PHX2daDEATH
03-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Yeah I admit that was a bad example... but I was looking at it through the eyes of a Niners fan, i think there is some hatred between SF and Oak .. I know I did root for the Raiders back in the early 00's just because they had Jerry..

MagicDojo
03-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Shawn Kemp was so fat and hungover when he played for the Magic that he could barely touch the rim.

JayW_1023
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Rodman coming back to play for the Lakers and Mavs.