PDA

View Full Version : Would You Rather Build Your Team Around Durant or LeBron?

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Im talking about right now.

If you had the option of building a team around a 25 year old LeBron James, or a 21 year old Kevin Durant. Who would you choose?

Would you build the team around a player like LeBron James who is at the peak of his prime as a player and is in the process of adjusting his game for it to become more well rounded rather than relying on his scoring ability and athleticism.

In the case of Durant you have a 21 year old player who has yet to reach his peak physically or in his game alone despite being viewed already as a Top 5 player in the NBA. There stands the potential for him to become better than he currently is aswell as the flexibility for him to tune up his game to become virtually unstoppable.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 01:30 PM
LJ
next

Iodine
03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
As much as I dislike LBJ (mostly due to the hype machine) and want KD inside me, this isnt even close

DitchDat
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
^^ inside you? tf

LBJ

bahama0811
03-22-2010, 01:35 PM
LBJ of course.

lakerssssssss
03-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Durant

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 01:57 PM
not that I don't think Durant is great, but please explain to me why you would start a franchise with Durant over LeBron.

IRUAM #21
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Lebron ftw.

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
As much as I dislike LBJ (mostly due to the hype machine) and want KD inside me, this isnt even close

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/62302d94eca88c46722f3f4f29353177.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4158)

Katspinal1313
03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
not that I don't think Durant is great, but please explain to me why you would start a franchise with Durant over LeBron.

There is no reason, unless LBJ pissed in your cheerio's.

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM

# of Titles.

Neither guy has won a Title, so what you're saying is that you think LeBron currently with the right players offers the better chance to lead you to a NBA Title than a team with the right players built around Durant.

You could go either way with your choice.

In my opinion, Durant offers an easier team to build around due to his versatility. The offense doesn't have to run through him, unlike LeBron who runs the offense himself.

IndyRealist
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Say what you want, Durant's cheaper.

jrm2054
03-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Lebron

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Say what you want, Durant's cheaper.

His game is timeless aswell. He could get older and lose his athletic ability and speed and still be a dangerous scorer due to his range and length.

He gets compared to Gervin but that doesn't do him enough justice, he has the scoring ability of Gervin with 3 extra inches in height and a wingspan of a hawk.

Big Zo
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Did you really just ask that? :facepalm:

FachoinaNYY
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
There is no other answer other than: LeBron.

Durant is great but there is no comparison here.

prodigy
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd rather build my team around Ben Wallace.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
# of Titles.

Neither guy has won a Title, so what you're saying is that you think LeBron currently with the right players offers the better chance to lead you to a NBA Title than a team with the right players built around Durant.

In my opinion, Durant offers an easier team to build around due to his versatility. The offense doesn't have to run through him, unlike LeBron who runs the offense himself.

no, you can't go either way. There is no rational argument really. Durant will never be the distributor LeBron is, and probably won't be the defender LeBron is. Factor in how much more money LeBron brings your franchise, and its a no brainer.
And versatility? LeBron James could play 4 positions.

Iodine
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/62302d94eca88c46722f3f4f29353177.gif

There is nothing wrong with wanting another man for some passionless gay sexual intercourse. Unless of course one or both of you have std's

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
no, you can't go either way. There is no rational argument really. Durant will never be the distributor LeBron is, and probably won't be the defender LeBron is. Factor in how much more money LeBron brings your franchise, and its a no brainer.
And versatility? LeBron James could play 4 positions.

Thats a lot of talk for a guy who isn't even close to reaching the long stretch of his prime.

I am not saying that Durant is the superior player than LeBron now, but there still is an unknown of what type of player Durant will be 5 years from now.

eugene
03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
why this thread even started??

JordansBulls
03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
LJ
next

Pretty much this.

We know Lebron is the type who will be considered the best in the league if he isn't already. We don't know if Durant will ever be better than top 3 though in any year.

magichatnumber9
03-22-2010, 02:42 PM
As much as I dislike LBJ (mostly due to the hype machine) and want KD inside me, this isnt even closeWTF. Not the place, I don't care what gender on sexual preference.

Mane
03-22-2010, 02:46 PM
WTF. Not the place, I don't care what gender on sexual preference.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/funny-pictures-cat-alarms-you.jpg

Buckwheat
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM

This is unacceptable. You should have your account revoked and in the spirit of the upcoming Easter season, I say we crucify you on a cross.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Thats a lot of talk for a guy who isn't even close to reaching the long stretch of his prime.

I am not saying that Durant is the superior player than LeBron now, but there still is an unknown of what type of player Durant will be 5 years from now.

then compare LeBron at 21 to Kevin at 21. LeBron had a much higher PER, and was a WAAAAAAY better passer. Everything else was similar. LeBron also went for 31-8-6 in 13 playoff games.
Look, Durant is special. But LeBron was better then, and that is with his skill level not being that of an elite basketball player yet, while Durant is all basketball skill.
There just isn't a comparions. Not on this one.

ManRam
03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
LeBron James.

Iodine is not funny.

Bye.

Iodine
03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
This is unacceptable. You should have your account revoked and in the spirit of the upcoming Easter season, I say we crucify you on a cross.

At least my name isnt chad brooks aka CB aka **** block

Iodine
03-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Iodine is not funny.

I thought my name is Iodouche?

Mane
03-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Also, give him a thorned crown

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 03:05 PM
then compare LeBron at 21 to Kevin at 21. LeBron had a much higher PER, and was a WAAAAAAY better passer. Everything else was similar. LeBron also went for 31-8-6 in 13 playoff games.
Look, Durant is special. But LeBron was better then, and that is with his skill level not being that of an elite basketball player yet, while Durant is all basketball skill.
There just isn't a comparions. Not on this one.

There is a difference that you haven't even discussed that LeBron is a Point Forward who creates for his teammates which is why his assist numbers are high, while Durant is a traditional SF while Westbrook serves as the PG.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
There is a difference that you haven't even discussed that LeBron is a Point Forward who creates for his teammates which is why his assist numbers are high, while Durant is a traditional SF while Westbrook serves as the PG.

Why is LeBron a point forward? Because he CAN be. He has a unique abiltiy to act as the ball distributor, go to scorer, dominant rebounder, guard the other teams best player, etc.
If Durant had the capability to pass like LeBron does, don't you think OKC would have gone to this already?
Basically man, there games are different. Durant is the new Melo. That should have been what you did this comparison on. A 21 year old Durant vs a 25 year old Melo. LeBron is the most complete, all around player in the NBA. Durant doesn't project as this. He is too skinny to get the go to the basket game LeBron has, and he doesnt have any of the court vision or ball handling skills of LeBron. Durant is elite. A top 6-7 player. But LeBron, at that age, was already being discussed with Kobe.

sp1derm00
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I would prefer Durant simply because Lebron's team lives and dies with Lebron. He is their system, and I don't like that. They are good players, but Lebron reduces them to role players, even Antawn Jamison, one of my favorite bigs.

WITZ
03-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Lmao ,but to answer ur question on who to build a team around gotta go with lebron.

jim51990
03-22-2010, 03:25 PM
anyone picking durant is an idiot no doubt about it
if you actually know anything about basketball you pick lebron

lvlheaded
03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I would prefer Durant simply because Lebron's team lives and dies with Lebron. He is their system, and I don't like that. They are good players, but Lebron reduces them to role players, even Antawn Jamison, one of my favorite bigs.

Kobe does this too. Only a Laker fan would get on Lebron about doing the same thing. Its LeBron all the way. Durant, IMO, is the 4-6 best player in the league while Lebron is in a tie for 1st, maybe has it by himself.

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Why is LeBron a point forward? Because he CAN be. He has a unique abiltiy to act as the ball distributor, go to scorer, dominant rebounder, guard the other teams best player, etc.
If Durant had the capability to pass like LeBron does, don't you think OKC would have gone to this already?
Basically man, there games are different. Durant is the new Melo. That should have been what you did this comparison on. A 21 year old Durant vs a 25 year old Melo. LeBron is the most complete, all around player in the NBA. Durant doesn't project as this. He is too skinny to get the go to the basket game LeBron has, and he doesnt have any of the court vision or ball handling skills of LeBron. Durant is elite. A top 6-7 player. But LeBron, at that age, was already being discussed with Kobe.

Actually you're wrong, LeBron is a Point Forward because thats always been his play style. He has mentioned before he models his game after Magic Johnson in terms of being a 6'8 wing forward capable of creating for his teammates aswell as being the Go To guy when he needs to be.

Durant on the other hand has a game similar to that of a Gervin but there is no real distinct comparison for his ability. Its not that Durant can't be a guy who gets 25/7/7 a night, its just that that isn't his style of play. He wants to be the guy who when he receives the ball will score or get to the free throw line rather than the guy who penetrates and dishes. Although completely irreleant to the thread, Carmelo Anthony is nothing like Kevin Durant. Melo's game is patterned to that of Adrian Dantley, hes a wing forward that murders you on the baseline whether face up or with his back to the basket. Melo has the ballhandling ability and vision to get others involved if that was his role or if thats the style of player he wants to be, but he chooses to do what helps the team win which is handle the scoring.

Im not saying that LeBron isn't the 2nd best player in the NBA, but because he plays one style doesn't mean that others couldn't do the same. What stands out about LeBron is that neither Durant or Melo can even match his mix of athleticism, speed, strength, size, and 1 step jump that makes him as great of a player as he is.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
First, LeBron is, and has been the best player in the NBA. Second, as you have claimed, Durant is a prototypical SF. LeBron can play 4 positions, Durant can not.
And you finally sold yourself to the correct answer in your last statement. LeBrons size, strength, and speed are what does, and will continue to, seperate him from others.
I am not gonna do this anymore, I love Durant and don't want to bash him. He is beyond gifted. But Lebron is incredible. Durant is not capable of becoming the all around player LeBron James is, and LeBron is still getting better every year.
Argument, done. No worries, difference of opinions is what makes us unique. I can not be convinced Durant is going to be better. Not at all

R_O_W_E
03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Kobe does this too. Only a Laker fan would get on Lebron about doing the same thing. Its LeBron all the way. Durant, IMO, is the 4-6 best player in the league while Lebron is in a tie for 1st, maybe has it by himself.

Thats not true. Kobe knows when to take a step back and let his teammates excel and when he needs to take over the offense, he has one of the highest basketball IQ's in the history of the NBA and shows it each night. The Lakers are a Playoff team talentwise without him, but they're a Championship team with him. Hes the Mariano Rivera of the 4th Quarter.

LeBron does reduce his teammates to highly effective role players because he makes it his goal to create for them, thats why the Cavs are made up of either spot shooters or rebounders. If you take LeBron away from the Cavs who sets the tempo for the Cavs offense? Mo Williams? West? Therefore when hes struggling or they are forced due to the score for LeBron to take all of the shots, they in a sense do live and die with him. LeBron still needs a legit 2nd option at SG who compliments him, and can take the pressure off of LeBron to create shots for others and instead let LeBron move without the ball as a scoring forward a la Durant & Melo rather than being a facilitator.

mp3
03-22-2010, 03:39 PM
durant is 21...

ManRam
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
durant is 21...

So am I. What are you getting at?

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 03:42 PM

I would take you over a 25 year old PSD poster then

bigsams50
03-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Lebron easy. Durants great, but LBJ is just on another level

td0tsfinest
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM

I agree, except that inside me part.

BOSTON617
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
duranntt younger and is easier to build a team around

_KB24_
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM

But that 21 year old poster has so much potential! :p

Lebron
/thread

Kyben36
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Bron, because Bron is a #1 option and play maker

Durrant has not proben yet to be a playmaker, only a shot maker. HE is more of a scorer than distributor, and I just dont think you can win with your #1 option being a scorer only. not to say he cant become a better distributor, but ill go for the sure thing.

dtmagnet
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Shame on anyone who said Durant.

RaptorizedKevin
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Lebron all the way. hes a complete player. Durant will never be as good of a playmaker and scorer. Lebron is better. and leading his team to the best record in the nba

D1JM
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
lebron james is just way way way up there.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
The King.

bigsams50
03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
But that 21 year old poster has so much potential! :p

Lebron
/thread

You voted Durant? lol

_KB24_
03-22-2010, 04:39 PM
You voted Durant? lol

I voted Bron....

May have accidently hit Durant, stupid internet in Mexico.....

No worries, gotta love Spring Break baby! :cool:

kjoke
03-22-2010, 04:40 PM
can i have both inside me?

bigsams50
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I voted Bron....

May have accidently hit Durant, stupid internet in Mexico.....

No worries, gotta love Spring Break baby! :cool:

lol i know how ya feel, internet here in Greece is horrific at times

Iodine
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Your legal <3

MagicDojo
03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
James no doubt. imho

tdunk21
03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
lebron and durant as lebron's sidekick

RenegadeRiot36
03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Actually you're wrong, LeBron is a Point Forward because thats always been his play style. He has mentioned before he models his game after Magic Johnson in terms of being a 6'8 wing forward capable of creating for his teammates aswell as being the Go To guy when he needs to be.

Durant on the other hand has a game similar to that of a Gervin but there is no real distinct comparison for his ability. Its not that Durant can't be a guy who gets 25/7/7 a night, its just that that isn't his style of play. He wants to be the guy who when he receives the ball will score or get to the free throw line rather than the guy who penetrates and dishes. Although completely irreleant to the thread, Carmelo Anthony is nothing like Kevin Durant. Melo's game is patterned to that of Adrian Dantley, hes a wing forward that murders you on the baseline whether face up or with his back to the basket. Melo has the ballhandling ability and vision to get others involved if that was his role or if thats the style of player he wants to be, but he chooses to do what helps the team win which is handle the scoring.

Im not saying that LeBron isn't the 2nd best player in the NBA, but because he plays one style doesn't mean that others couldn't do the same. What stands out about LeBron is that neither Durant or Melo can even match his mix of athleticism, speed, strength, size, and 1 step jump that makes him as great of a player as he is.

playstyle and ability are completely different things. this is like saying that chris pauls playing style is of a point guard but he can average 12 rebounds a game.

Thats not true. Kobe knows when to take a step back and let his teammates excel and when he needs to take over the offense, he has one of the highest basketball IQ's in the history of the NBA and shows it each night. The Lakers are a Playoff team talentwise without him, but they're a Championship team with him. Hes the Mariano Rivera of the 4th Quarter.

the reason the offense runs through lbj is because hes great at it. the type of production would be much lower if mo or west took over the pg for good. if it wasnt working, he wouldnt be handling the ball, plain and simple. also, you assume that lebron is running point, which he only does for about 20min a game. the rest of the time, he is picking apart and dishing the rock effortlessly. if we go to your "playstyle" analogy, if lebron wanted to give up the assists and rebounds, theres nothing stopping him from averaging 45 points again. the same can be said for the other two catagories. he has found the way to maximize his effectivness and impact on the game. durant at this point in his career is a great scoring option, but not a playmaker

Young2Kinsler
03-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Anyone voting for Durant at this point is foolish and lying to themselves.

JasonJohnHorn
03-22-2010, 04:56 PM

You want Durant INSIDE you? :facepalm:

Slimsim
03-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Durrant please.

Iodine
03-22-2010, 05:08 PM

inĚside (n-sd, nsd)
n.
a. An inner or interior part.

avrpatsfan
03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
It's a hard choice actually. Lebron is 4 years older and Durant is at almost the same level. Lebron is a much better passer and set up player but Durant is 4 years younger and can score with Lebron. I would still choose Lebron though.

avrpatsfan
03-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Such a dumb post. If it's a she it's fine but if it's a guy then :facepalm:

jackdawson
03-22-2010, 05:14 PM
I love Kevin Durant; he is probably my 3rd fav player in the league, but c'mon, this is not even close. people who picked or will pick Kevin Durant here are 99% laker fans and 1% extreme Lebron haters around the league who cannot live with Lebron's fame.

Baller1
03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
I love Kevin Durant; he is probably my 3rd fav player in the league, but c'mon, this is not even close. people who picked or will pick Kevin Durant here are 99% laker fans and 1% extreme Lebron haters around the league who cannot live with Lebron's fame.

Or a Durant homer, like myself.

JasonJohnHorn
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
A lot of people are just dropping LBJ's name, and for me the answer is that simple. There isn't even a debate going on in my head, but there are reasons for it.

They are both solid rebouders, but James has a better inside game because his size gives him the muscle to work the post and clean the glass. Their averages for rebounds are about the same, but James is more of an interior presence.

And James is clearly the better play maker, hands down, and when you have a guy who domninates the ball as much as Durant and James do, you want to know that they can make plays for others so that the offence doesn't stagnate. That was one of Jordan's best attributes is that he could score 30+ a night, but still hand out 7 or 8 assists. Durnat may or may not develop that game, but I'd go with what I know, and I know that James IS the better play maker now.

They are about even on 3P%, but James is ahead on FG% and TS%, and James is a better scorer hands down. He has more weapons. He can make the paly for another guy, post up, go mid-range and go long range. Durant can do most of these things to, but not all of them as well as James, most especially the play making and post game.

Defensively, I haven't gotten to really watch Durant on defence much as I've only seen a handful of games, but James is a player I know to be solid on defence. Durant and James both get solid number in defensive stats (both around a block a game and both around 1.5 steals, though James has higher averages in both catagories), but defensive stats don't always indicate great defence and you really have to watch a guy play a lot to determine that.

Even looking at LBJ's numbers when he was 21, he has a clear edge over Durant with 31/7/6 a game to Durants 29/7/2.8

Looking at the stats, their numbers aren't that far apart, so their is room for debate here. But being as how building a team is also about making a profit and know that James is a juggernaut for merchandise sales, choosing James would be the easier choice for me, even though that is not related to basketball exactly.

James has also put these type of numbers up on a top tier team and we have seen in the past some player post great numbers like these on midlevel teams (like McGrady in Orlando) only to see their numbers and overall performance dip when they are put around better talent. So I would be apprehensive about picking Durant because of that as well. This is a circumstantial issue and not Durant's fault, but again, I'll go with what I know over potential.

I think a better question would be: Wade or Durant. Or perhaps Melo or Durant. Even Kobe or Durant.

jackdawson
03-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Dude, give him a break. Some people will always hate Lebron regardless of the topic. Why waste time behind this?

Raiders#1 Scout
03-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Lebron, end of story

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Dude, give him a break. Some people will always hate Lebron regardless of the topic. Why waste time behind this?

trust me, I have defended Kobe as well in these scenarios. And in reality, the poster I was debating with never told me he would choose Durant that I can remember, I think he was just trying to get a debate going, which I can appreciate

dev0
03-22-2010, 05:39 PM
as if people think that Durant is more versatile than LBJ
Defense- not even a question... LeBron is one of the better ones in the league
and LBJ is top 7 or 8 in assists in the league
no contest

basketfan4life
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM

LeBron does reduce his teammates to highly effective role players because he makes it his goal to create for them, thats why the Cavs are made up of either spot shooters or rebounders. If you take LeBron away from the Cavs who sets the tempo for the Cavs offense? Mo Williams? West? Therefore when hes struggling or they are forced due to the score for LeBron to take all of the shots, they in a sense do live and die with him. LeBron still needs a legit 2nd option at SG who compliments him, and can take the pressure off of LeBron to create shots for others and instead let LeBron move without the ball as a scoring forward a la Durant & Melo rather than being a facilitator.
this is one of the best posts i've ever seen in psd nba forums.just like a week or two ago,i explained this exact same thing..and poeple react this post like 'this is crazy talk'...with this style of the play bron has,you can never,ever,never have a star player next to lebron.now we hear about lbj and j.johnson thing...i am absolutely sure that if this happens,jj turns in to mo williams...

if lebron wants to be the best basketball player,he has to change the path he has,please,without prejudgement,ask yourselfs this question,if lebron has russell westbrook,how would westbrook perform?i tell you,he would fail big time,he can't have the opportunities to dribble on a half court offense,he can't have the opportunity to run the offense and dish,he would turn in to a guy who just sometimes finishes at the fastbreak because he has no good shooting ability.

no,lebron doesn't make teammates better, he makes them worse..he is just a very good passer...name me some players who are statistically got better after coming to cleveland...larry hughes?(yeah jump on me now that hughes was a big failure,do you just one time think about if lebron has something to do with it),antawn jamison?mo williams?shaq(don't tell me he is too old,dude was scoring 18 a game last year and that is making teammates better,respect to nash.)...

durant is way too easier to build a team around...don't get me wrong,lebron is the better player clearly,but every bit of a skill a player has is usefull if you have durant...but with lebron you have to shoot the ball real good, you have to dunk when you catch a good pass from bron,and that's it...you can have no other role on the offense,and it clearly reduces the players role,value and makes them worse...
call me crazy,but lebron doesn't make teammates better,he reduces their value.for example the differnce jamison brings over gooden for this cavs team is that he is better shooter and has the range to shoot the three.the style of play the cavs and lebron has makes all the capabilities jamison has on the offensive end useless besides of shooting.
if you run other wing of the floor when your teammate-who is capable of scoring-has the ball,then you take the defensive pressure off of him and that makes him better.this is just an example...jordan,kobe,duncan,shaq are all experts of these kind of things and lebron has to learn these too,if he wants to win several c'ships...

i'm telling you,the better lebron's stats gets the worse the cavs get,if he turns in to 26-7-5 type of player,he can accomplish greater things..and the only season he reached the finals,he had that kind of stats,and stats wise that was his worse year in last 5-6 years.

and i am telling this honestly,i am not a kobe fan,not a lakers fan,i just like bball,and there are some facts about this game.and i really like lebron james,just amazing to watch him,and he has all the skills to be one of the best players ever if not the best.he just has to learn some other things if he doesn't want to turn some worse type of big o.because for sure,he is the biggest force in this league now and it would be such shame not to accomplish great things.

dodie53
03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
lebron
nuff said

JNA17
03-23-2010, 09:05 PM
trust me, I have defended Kobe as well in these scenarios.

:laugh:

SchyGuy11
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
lebron

celtisox41
03-23-2010, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeye15;12671573]not that I don't think Durant is great, but please explain to me why you would start a franchise with Durant over LeBron.[/QUOTE

Because Durant has the potential to be even better than Lebron, he is rapidly getting better, and he is already considered to be a top 10 player, Lebron is as good as he is going to get, he is only going to get worse. In my opinion Durant is a harder worker too, Lebron could fall apart once you pay him, he already has the endorsements and he needs the game less than Durant does

Chest Rockwell
03-23-2010, 09:46 PM

Because Durant has the potential to be even better than Lebron, he is rapidly getting better, and he is already considered to be a top 10 player, Lebron is as good as he is going to get, he is only going to get worse. In my opinion Durant is a harder worker too, Lebron could fall apart once you pay him, he already has the endorsements and he needs the game less than Durant does

And I thought I was a hater.

MJ-BULLS
03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
I love Kevin Durant but it has to be Lebron James.

knickfan4life
03-23-2010, 10:11 PM
is this a serious thread? come onnnnnn man...

ldc62
03-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I like KD better but of course its Lebron.

jmtapia
03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
LeBron with out even hesitation...

mike_noodles
03-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Durant, he's younger and he already has a killer instinct. Not to mention the consistency that he fills it up with. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a ring by the time he's 25.

pippsux
03-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Easily Lebron, but just like milk in a carton for too long, it will expire soon. Lebron has no excuses this year, championship or bust.

DUraNtCAN
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Pretty much this.

We know Lebron is the type who will be considered the best in the league if he isn't already. We don't know if Durant will ever be better than top 3 though in any year.

OK, the people who flat out dismiss this as a serious question are people who have not seen Kevin Durant play, and don't know how really good Kevin is.

KB both scores more and rebounds better than Lebron (Look these numbers up I am not lying). Lebron is a better passer and defender.

Currently, Lebron has the edge because he has that finishing quality that KD has shown flashes of and is doing more often but is not doing it all the time or as consistenly as LBJ.

For the future, Lebron is not as close to his ceiling as most think he is (I believe) and he will get better, but I think KD will get an IMMEASURABLE amount better, I'm thinking a whole different level for him.

So with the question in mind, as far as who you would rather build around, and therefore it's aspect of future state, I would pick Kevin Durant.

And as far as "we don't know if Kevin Durant will ever be better than top 3" comment, he's already second in MVP voting (to Lebron, I know I know), so this is a completely uninformed statement, no offense.

Public Enemy #1
03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Whoever picks Durant is stupid. I'm not even saying this as a Lebron fan. Lebron hasn't reached his peak and is only 25. Durant is soooooo overrated, he takes 20-25 shots a night and never passes the ball. I agree that Durant will get better as well but unless he beefs up, learns how to pass, and starts playing consistent defense, he will never be in the same sentence as Lebron James. I would pick Wade/ Howard/ Melo over Durant. As much as you die hard Durant fans and die hard Lebron haters want to think Durant would be a better player to build around at this current time, you have to be on something! lol

Bashna
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
# of Titles.

Laker homer... Stop your bad posting and obvious bias.

Raidaz4Life
03-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Durant no brainer

Flamarlins21
03-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Are you a girl?

And if not, can we get a no homo bruh?

Wilson
03-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I LOVE Kevin Durant, but there's no question that LeBron James is the better player right now. Look at Durant's stats for this season (his 3rd) to LeBron's 3rd season and LeBron's current season. LeBron's numbers are consistently slightly better, whereas his passing stats are significantly higher. His PER this season is much higher as well.*

The age difference has been mentioned, but at 25 years old it's not like LeBron is about to retire.

In my opinion, the only argument for Kevin right now is the money. For the 2009-2010 season he makes $4,796,880, whereas LeBron makes $15,779,912. If you took Kevin, that $10,983,032 difference could help pay for a better second option or collection of role players.

*:- EDIT: Just checked, and LeBron is currently producing the 7th highest PER ever with 31.58. Last season, his PER of 31.67 was the 4th highest, behind only Wilt Chamberlain ('62-'63 & '61-'62) and Michael Jordan ('87-'88).

tredigs
03-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Tough to say.

Statistically, although both are beyond measure, you have to go with 'Bron. It has to be noted though that the guy developed young and came in to the league as a man. Even at 21 Durant still strikes me as a kid who's still figuring everything out --including his body framework--, albeit an insanely talented kid who's doing the figuring out at a level higher than just about anyone in the league. Still, Lebron is fully proven and although I don't know that he'll get much better, barring injury he absolutely isn't getting worse any time soon... and where he is at (to me, the best player in the NBA by a fairly decent margin) is more than good enough.

But there's intangibles that Durant has that I think are going to make him an all time great if he can keep at them. By all accounts, the kid has a work ethic second to none, and wants nothing more than to be a good teammate and get better at basketball. Things like his transformation on defense from year 2 (mediocre at best) to 3 (upper echelon) is a VERY good sign that he's willing to work to excel at different levels of his game over the summer (a la Kobe/Jordan. and... not a la Rudy Gay. I love Rudy but g'damn he just hasn't really improved).

That said, at this point if I'm a GM I'd be hard pressed to choose anyone other than a 25 yr old who has a skill set as imposing as anyone who has ever played in the NBA and can draw sold out stadiums on a nightly basis. Besides, Durant has already said that he loves Oklahoma City and his teammates (oddly, you actually believe him when he says that) and doesn't want to even think about leaving the team come free agency, which is exactly what makes him and The Thunder so dangerous in the coming years.

Raph12
03-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Did you really just ask that? :facepalm:

This

soonabooma
03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Lebron James is an unbelievable talent, no question. He has crazy skills and his physical gifts make him probably the most unique player to ever play the game, I didn't say best.....that's reserved for MJ, but unique, YES. He's like the Adrian Peterson of basketball, no one has seen a specimen quite like him before. He's top notch, and there's no denying that. But Kevin Durant is very special in his own right. He is a basketball player, that's what he does, it's what he's always done, and he devotes his life to being the best player he can be. He doesn't worry about how much attention he gets, he doesn't worry about being in front of the lights and camera, he's not a drama queen, and he's not a spoiled immature brat. He's plays ball, and he lets his play do the talking, he's a team player, and selfishness is not in his nature. He's a winner and he has heart. He's about as humble of a player as we've ever seen, and his work ethic really is second to none, when he sets his mind to something he gets it done. You can't perfect every single area in one year, nobody can do that, but let's just say KD will become as complete of a player as he needs to be on both ends of the floor. He won't have it any other way. What he wants to do, he'll certainly do. He's just getting warmed up, but once he's really sharpened his game.....he'll be about as unstoppable as it gets. I'll take KD to lead us into the future.

JJ_JKidd
03-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Durant off course. He's LBJ and Kobe combined! :facepalm:

Prosportsdaily NBA forum:

Durant threads - 45%
LBJ threads - 20%
Kobe threads - 20%
Random threads - 15%

mr_relevant
03-24-2010, 04:02 AM
His game is timeless aswell. He could get older and lose his athletic ability and speed and still be a dangerous scorer due to his range and length.

He gets compared to Gervin but that doesn't do him enough justice, he has the scoring ability of Gervin with 3 extra inches in height and a wingspan of a hawk.

A+ post right here

Durant's beautiful jumpshot will be the reason why the 10s will be his decade, not Lbj's. KD will only get better once he learns to score in the post.

heathonater
03-24-2010, 04:08 AM
i would take lebron because of his verstality. as much as i think durant is a great player, lebron is the best player in the league. lebron's versatility is unmached in the league consbidering he can play as a distributor or score. durant wont be on lebron's levele until durant can distribute the ball and score like lebron can.

mr_relevant
03-24-2010, 04:14 AM
i would take lebron because of his verstality. as much as i think durant is a great player, lebron is the best player in the league. lebron's versatility is unmached in the league consbidering he can play as a distributor or score. durant wont be on lebron's levele until durant can distribute the ball and score like lebron can.

Durant will never need to be his team's primary distributor because they have Westbrook

DUraNtCAN
03-27-2010, 09:56 AM

LOL!!!:laugh:

Chill_Will_24
03-29-2010, 12:30 AM

Why ask this dumb question if your already biased toward a particular guy? Lebron is better in all aspects. You build a team around Lebron.

*Superman*
03-29-2010, 12:33 AM
LeBron duh.

FOBolous
03-29-2010, 12:35 AM
sooo...what else can Durant do other than score? rebound a little? I want to see what Durant is going to be like he's 25 years old? Carmelo Anthony. That's who Kevin Durant is going to become.

soo...Carmelo Anthony or Lebron James? hmmm...Lebron James.

GaSoft16
03-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Durant, just because you could get "close to" the same production as LBJ would give you, but with no headaches or no brain aneurysms that you as an owner might get from just thinking about your superstar franchise player wanting to play in a bigger market and be in talks of the summer of 2010 and all that speculation that is unnecessary.

Team*Chicago
03-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Clearly LeBron, that should not even be a question.

valade16
03-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Durant, just because you could get "close to" the same production as LBJ would give you, but with no headaches or no brain aneurysms that you as an owner might get from just thinking about your superstar franchise player wanting to play in a bigger market and be in talks of the summer of 2010 and all that speculation that is unnecessary.

Really? So LBJ averages more turnovers than assists too?! :rolleyes:

sventhedog
03-29-2010, 02:43 AM
tough call but i'd build a circus around lebron. he is destined to be a clown than to win a title. he'd take fans attention over the championship ring. you'd be blind not to see that.

danielleighgill
03-29-2010, 03:01 AM

Wow. Congratulations on being even more tasteless than the person who wants to get penetrated by Durant.

Just so you know, you can't be crucified on anything except a cross. Even if it isn't a traditional symbol of christianity it would still be considered a cross when someone was crucified on it.

Seriously though...whats wrong with you?

momoneyyyy
03-29-2010, 03:17 AM
why is this thread still open.

JayW_1023
03-29-2010, 07:19 AM
It's LeBron!

Hawkize31
03-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Wow. Congratulations on being even more tasteless than the person who wants to get penetrated by Durant.

Just so you know, you can't be crucified on anything except a cross. Even if it isn't a traditional symbol of christianity it would still be considered a cross when someone was crucified on it.

Seriously though...whats wrong with you?

:facepalm:

Listen, don't try to play the "that offends my religious beliefs" card on the internet. Nobody cares.

And Lebron easy. Really can't believe 25% voted for Durant. I'm guessing most of them just dislike Lebron, because basketball-wise, there is no better player to build around.