PDA

View Full Version : Cavs LeBron James agreeing to long-term contract extension with Nike

zadora5
03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
www.benmaller.com

LeBron James hinted on Sunday that he was close to agreeing to a long-term extension with Nike to continue to be one of their top pitchmen. James’ original seven-year contract that paid him in excess of $100 million with bonuses is set to expire in a couple of months. “I don’t plan on going anywhere, maybe I already have a agreement,” James said perhaps not wanting to take away from a formal announcement. “I take care of my business on and off the court.” It isn’t clear just how much James’ new Nike deal may be worth. The numbers can always been inflated to assume certain incentives and royalties from sales. When James’ initially signed with Nike, at least $90 million was guaranteed including a $10 million signing bonus. As part of that first contract, sources said, there was a potential $5 million per year bonus if James played in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles in the first few years of the deal. That clause expired, however, several years ago. It has been a theory that endorsement money would be one reason James would consider leaving Cleveland when he becomes a free agent this summer. With the Nike extension plus deals with Coke, State Farm and McDonald’s, James will likely remain as the highest-earning current NBA player when it comes to endorsements. — Cleveland Plain Dealer

BOSTON617
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
if i was lebron id leave clevland extra 5 mil a year damnnn :facepalm: lol just playing but thats a lot of money he got enough of it tho

GodsSon
03-22-2010, 01:41 PM
$$$

The Ooh Child
03-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Probably should have specified he was agreeing to an extension with Nike in the thread title

zadora5
03-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Probably should have specified he was agreeing to an extension with Nike in the thread title

did it on purpose ;)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM

ripjhb18
03-22-2010, 01:57 PM
did it on purpose ;)

Which is bound to cause problems

zadora5
03-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Which is bound to cause problems

=]

prodigy
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
See really not much of a reason to leave cleveland. He'll make the same money anywhere he goes.

IndyRealist
03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I assume someone changed the title of the thread, but "with Nike" still scrolls to the next line, so if you're not paying attention you don't see it.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
www.benmaller.com

LeBron James hinted on Sunday that he was close to agreeing to a long-term extension with Nike to continue to be one of their top pitchmen. James’ original seven-year contract that paid him in excess of $100 million with bonuses is set to expire in a couple of months. “I don’t plan on going anywhere, maybe I already have a agreement,” James said perhaps not wanting to take away from a formal announcement. “I take care of my business on and off the court.” It isn’t clear just how much James’ new Nike deal may be worth. The numbers can always been inflated to assume certain incentives and royalties from sales. When James’ initially signed with Nike, at least $90 million was guaranteed including a $10 million signing bonus. As part of that first contract, sources said, there was a potential $5 million per year bonus if James played in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles in the first few years of the deal. That clause expired, however, several years ago. It has been a theory that endorsement money would be one reason James would consider leaving Cleveland when he becomes a free agent this summer. With the Nike extension plus deals with Coke, State Farm and McDonald’s, James will likely remain as the highest-earning current NBA player when it comes to endorsements. — Cleveland Plain Dealer

I hope everyone in New York really understands that part. No more extra incentive to leave. He'll get the same money no matter what.

prodigy
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I hope everyone in New York really understands that part. No more extra incentive to leave. He'll get the same money no matter what.

If they do put that in the contract again(not sure if possible), then the cavs could sue Nike and file tampering charges.

king4day
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Cavs forum?

prodigy
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Cavs forum?

I don't think so. Because it puts a big hole in the whole NY marketing thing.

zadora5
03-22-2010, 02:29 PM
who the hell changed the title ? these people on hear piss me the **** off

The Ooh Child
03-22-2010, 02:50 PM
did it on purpose ;)

:laugh2: I actually kinda figured that. I approve :clap:

DaBUU
03-22-2010, 03:15 PM

yeah god forbid someone gets confused by the title and starts telling all his family that Lebron signed his extension.

JNA17
03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
K

DerekRE_3
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM

I did. Misleading titles will always be changed.