PDA

View Full Version : Sign and Trade Rules

RelaxedFan
03-22-2010, 09:34 AM
What are the rules of a sign and trade?

I thought it has to match in salary for the 1st year only.
I think it doesn't have to be a fair trade in value because the trading team is getting somthing instead of nothing (i.e. R. Lewis going to Orlando).
I know the Hedu T. trade last season was pretty complicated between Orlando, Toronto and Dallas, but Orlando really didn't get anything in that deal. Salary dumps on Orlando but Dallas did get somthing.

I think this should be claired up prior to FA so people know what can be done in a s/t.

Thanks.

OrderOfCook
03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
There are no "sign and trade" rules. The rules for it are the same as trade rules.

The principle is that you sign the player to your team because of the various advantages that have been discussed many times on this forum. At that point he belongs to your team. You then trade that player.

Even though it occurs as "one transaction" it can be divided into two separate steps.

hans dolo
03-22-2010, 12:16 PM
i love the sign and trade

IndyRealist
03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
There are no "sign and trade" rules. The rules for it are the same as trade rules.

The principle is that you sign the player to your team because of the various advantages that have been discussed many times on this forum. At that point he belongs to your team. You then trade that player.

Even though it occurs as "one transaction" it can be divided into two separate steps.

Essentially, yes. Though a sign-and-trade contract generally contains a stipulation that the team will trade him to the said team, or the contract is void.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2010, 02:45 PM
What I never really got was what the player had to gain from it as opposed to just out right signing to the team he wants.....

rabueed
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
What I never really got was what the player had to gain from it as opposed to just out right signing to the team he wants.....

some players don't like to screw over the franchise they belonged to, so they participate in a sign-and-trade to not cripple the organization.

also, i'll give you an example of why it's necessary sometimes: Lebron to the Lakers. Lebron cannot outright sign with the Lakers, no cap space for it. But if the Lakers trade for him, we obtain his bird rights (I think) and it would be the only possible way for the Lakers to get Lebron James.

Warning: don't take the Lebron-to-the-Lakers example out of context, I don't believe he will end up on the Lakers in a sign-and-trade for mbenga, powell, farmar, vujacic, and 6 first round picks. I just needed an example.

cheerio
03-22-2010, 09:05 PM

politics

RaptorizedKevin
03-22-2010, 09:19 PM
trade turkoglu plox

king4day
03-22-2010, 09:32 PM

The team he's expiring from gets to sign him long term for 6 years. If he leaves as a free agent, the new team can only sign him for 5.

Also, as mentioned above, if the team looking to acquire the player would be over the cap, the sign and trade would allow them maintain their cap position.

NastyRud
03-22-2010, 09:37 PM

The player gains an extra year on his contract if he does a S & T. I believe it's 6 yrs for his team, 5 yrs if he signs with another team. Basically an extra yr of guaranteed money for the player, & compensation for the team losing the player......You beat me to it King.

steveshane67
03-23-2010, 12:27 AM
some players don't like to screw over the franchise they belonged to, so they participate in a sign-and-trade to not cripple the organization.

also, i'll give you an example of why it's necessary sometimes: Lebron to the Lakers. Lebron cannot outright sign with the Lakers, no cap space for it. But if the Lakers trade for him, we obtain his bird rights (I think) and it would be the only possible way for the Lakers to get Lebron James.

Warning: don't take the Lebron-to-the-Lakers example out of context, I don't believe he will end up on the Lakers in a sign-and-trade for mbenga, powell, farmar, vujacic, and 6 first round picks. I just needed an example.

that might be the dumbest argument ever. all money issues being equal, if you were a had the choice to sign with a new team and have that new team keep its [good] players, or to be traded to that same new team, but that new team has less [good] players, why in the world would you choose the trade option?

this is a business, franchises certainly dont give 2 shlts about players when they are no longer valuable commodities to the team, why should a player help out his old team and hurt his new team?