PDA

View Full Version : Positions or semantics?

DitchDat
03-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Ok, so we all know the five traditional positions in basketball: point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and center.

However, can we still say these positions exist ? Haven't they become a formality in the NBA today?

For example, point guards are generally small players. Does this automatically make "small" players point guards? (Iverson, House, Robinson)
Does being big make you a PF or a C ? (Donte' Greene, Gallinari)
Does it even matter anymore? I saw the Knicks have a starting lineup consisting of T-Mac (PG), Bill Walker (SG), Wilson Chandler (SF), Danilo Gallinari (PF) and David Lee (C). Basically, they started 4 wing players and a power forward.

Do we need to get back to being more traditional ? Or do positions not matter anymore? The players are getting bigger and bigger each year, so I definitely think this is something worth thinking about.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-12/22/xin_231201220926947200572.jpg

Hawkeye15
03-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I think the point guard is a defined position obviously. Other than that, there are many teams who dont even have a center. Call them wings, and bigs

Raph12
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
In today's league, there are a number of players without just one position to define their playing style.

Now with guys like Iverson, Kidd, Lebron, Shard, Bargnani, etc... you do have players of different sizes playing non-defined positions (combo guard, power guard, point forward, shooting forward, etc...), But with that being said, there are still a few players who play traditionally at certain positions; Ie. True PG - Steve Nash | True SG - Ray Allen | True SF - Kevin Durant | True PF - Carlos Boozer | True C - Dwight Howard

Personally, I'd just prefer to call them guards, forwards and centers, with no specific positions necessary nor any outlines necessary.

69centers
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
It's more of how they play out on the court, then what position they are labeled as or where they are designated in the starting line up.

Nothing is more evidence of this than Tim Duncan, who plays on the court like a center, but is always listed as a power forward.

GodsSon
03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
In today's league, there are a number of players without just one position to define their playing style.

Now with guys like Iverson, Kidd, Lebron, Shard, Bargnani, etc... you do have players of different sizes playing non-defined positions (combo guard, power guard, point forward, shooting forward, etc...), But with that being said, there are still a few players who play traditionally at certain positions; Ie. True PG - Steve Nash | True SG - Ray Allen | True SF - Kevin Durant | True PF - Carlos Boozer | True C - Dwight Howard

Personally, I'd just prefer to call them guards, forwards and centers, with no specific positions necessary nor any outlines necessary.

I thought Dwight was a natural 4?

Angel2Maverick
03-22-2010, 12:56 PM

They moved him because he couldn't shoot well enough at the 4

DitchDat
03-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Who are some others traditional players?
PG - Chauncey Billups
SF -
C - Marc Gasol, Chris Kaman
SG - Richard Hamilton
PF -

And what "traditional" position does Ron Artest play? And I'm really interested to hear what you guys think about Bargnani. To me, he's a 7-foot small forward, just like Nowitzki.

avrpatsfan
03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Point Guard is a very defined position. Center and power forward not so much.

DitchDat
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
What people's opinion on power forwards being forced to play center? Power forwards I think are left to struggle as centers: Al Jefferson, Chris Bosh and David Lee. I say get a real center to line up beside them, and they'll be much better off. Just my opinion.

sugarrayray
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Me too, a guy like Andrew Bogut is a completely true center. Although Howard plays the center extremely well, I still think he's more of a 4 playing the 5. He has transitioned to the 5 as well as anyone could have though.

I actually think there are few "true centers" in the game today.

Some teams don't have their players in completely defined roles, but a lot of them still do. But this thread makes a good point; roles are becoming less defined in the NBA today.

abe_froman
03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Do we need to get back to being more traditional ? Or do positions not matter anymore? The players are getting bigger and bigger each year, so I definitely think this is something worth thinking about.

i actually got into a discussion about this not that long ago and yes the age of of those 5 fixed positional definitions has been dying for awhile and all but dead now as pretty much everyone can be described as a combo player...or one who can play both.and look at the young players and you'll find even even more combo players

but i dont like calling pg,sg,sf,pf,c as the traditional positions,because they're not.the original and still official recognized positions(by the nba)are just guard,forward,center...such things as being a "power forward" came later on,used to describe guys like petitt

but yes we are getting to the point where the best way is just to call them a a guard:evans,curry,rose,ect.,ect.,ect.

so yeah the argument over wat a guy is,or really is(if he "plays out of position" to them),is just semantics

Draco
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok, so we all know the five traditional positions in basketball: point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and center.

However, can we still say these positions exist ? Haven't they become a formality in the NBA today?

For example, point guards are generally small players. Does this automatically make "small" players point guards? (Iverson, House, Robinson)
Does being big make you a PF or a C ? (Donte' Greene, Gallinari)
Does it even matter anymore? I saw the Knicks have a starting lineup consisting of T-Mac (PG), Bill Walker (SG), Wilson Chandler (SF), Danilo Gallinari (PF) and David Lee (C). Basically, they started 4 wing players and a power forward.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-12/22/xin_231201220926947200572.jpg

No.. teams still prefer to have PGs who are primarily distributors, SGs with some length, that can shoot and handle the ball a little, bigs who can defend the paint and/or get high % shots, etc.. If these things didn't matter anymore, then how exactly has the game gotten away from these traditional roles? Have Iverson, et al. had enough success in their careers that GMs are now actually looking for these kind of players? Why would you provide NY as example of how things might have changed? They haven't been and aren't winning games.

IndyRealist
03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I think the newer designations of point, wings, and bigs are more appropriate these days. And you could even do away with point to some extent, I mean how many are really traditional pass-first PG's anyways?

DitchDat
03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
No.. teams still prefer to have PGs who are primarily distributors, SGs with some length, that can shoot and handle the ball a little, bigs who can defend the paint and/or get high % shots, etc.. If these things didn't matter anymore, then how exactly has the game gotten away from these traditional roles? Have Iverson, et al. had enough success in their careers that GMs are now actually looking for these kind of players? Why would you provide NY as example of how things might have changed? They haven't been and aren't winning games.

I'm not saying it works for them, I'm just saying that is was an actual starting lineup they put on the court.

MagicDojo
03-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Me too, a guy like Andrew Bogut is a completely true center. Although Howard plays the center extremely well, I still think he's more of a 4 playing the 5. He has transitioned to the 5 as well as anyone could have though.

I actually think there are few "true centers" in the game today.

Some teams don't have their players in completely defined roles, but a lot of them still do. But this thread makes a good point; roles are becoming less defined in the NBA today.

The Magic have tride him at 4 with gortat at 5 a few games with mixed results.

MagicDojo
03-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Who are some others traditional players?
PG - Chauncey Billups
SF -
C - Marc Gasol, Chris Kaman
SG - Richard Hamilton
PF -

And what "traditional" position does Ron Artest play? And I'm really interested to hear what you guys think about Bargnani. To me, he's a 7-foot small forward, just like Nowitzki.

G- Nash