PDA

View Full Version : Source: LeBron interested in playing with Johnson

*Superman*
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
ESPN NBA analyst Ric Bucher quoted a league source yesterday when he said that LeBron James might be more interested in coming to the Knicks if they have Hawks' shooting guard Joe Johnson.

"If it's LeBron James they want," Bucher said, "a league source says the Hawks' shooting guard is a very good place to start."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/opportunity_knocks_for_knicks_giddens_b36h0YalG3eq 35EWIvABEP

Knicks got the money this off-season. Will it happen?

JNA17
03-19-2010, 10:41 AM
this is interesting, last season i actually picked the knicks to get joe johnson in 2010, but if they do get him....

eh who knows, still a crapshoot

HoopsDrive
03-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Sounds about right.

bigsams50
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I think the Knicks will end up with Johnson and Bosh. IDk about LBJ

king4day
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm sure he'd be just as happy with Wade too.
But more realistically, JJ or Bosh/Amar'e will be enough for Lebron to come over. It will at least intrigue him if nothing else.

Raph12
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Amare would be a perfect fit in both D'Antoni's system and with Lebron running the show.

They'd still get killed by teams with big frontcourts, unless they go out and find a suitable big man to compete with Dwight and Pau/Bynum, they won't be getting too far.

madiaz3
03-19-2010, 10:49 AM
this is interesting, last season i actually picked the knicks to get joe johnson in 2010, but if they do get him....

eh who knows, still a crapshoot

who is that in your sig

*Superman*
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Do the Knicks really have that much money to get LeBron AND Wade/A'mare/Bosh?

pacofunk64
03-19-2010, 10:57 AM
The Knicks are not getting LBJ...I do see the Knicks getting 2 other great players though.

Jetsguy
03-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Do the Knicks really have that much money to get LeBron AND Wade/A'mare/Bosh?

no one will know until we get what the cap will be for next year.

RaysFan
03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
PG: Toney Douglas
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: LeBron James
PF: Wilson Chandler
C: Danilo Gallinari

I could see that group winning 50+ games and being really fun to watch. They would get shredded by teams like the Lakers and Magic but they would be entertaining.

If LeBron wants to win, he signs a short-term contract with Cleveland...maybe for another 3 years. If he wants to have a good time and just sort of party, he will choose the Knicks. I think that's what it comes down to.

MJ-BULLS
03-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't think that the Knicks will end up with Lebron James. Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire far better possibilities then Lebron.

king4day
03-19-2010, 11:10 AM

I could see that group winning 50+ games and being really fun to watch. They would get shredded by teams like the Lakers and Magic but they would be entertaining.

If LeBron wants to win, he signs a short-term contract with Cleveland...maybe for another 3 years. If he wants to have a good time and just sort of party, he will choose the Knicks. I think that's what it comes down to.

Is Gallo tall enough to play center?
I think NY should go after Theo Ratliff to play center instead. Not sure if he can run, but he's cheap and servicable.
Or even maybe make a trade for Big Baby Davis. Seems like he can be had for cheap.
Leon Powe could be gettable too.

*Superman*
03-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Other C's would abuse Gallinari.

RaysFan
03-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, Gallo would get handled, but this would be a run and gun team similar to what Golden State had a few years ago only with LeBron. Look, it's not going to be a championship-contender, but it could be fun and exciting to watch. LeBron would be forced to play 40mpg at least because they would have no depth at all but you have to admit that it would be fun to see that unit run up and down the floor together.

With that being said I would hope that the best player of his generation would not want to subject himself to something like that, but who knows. Like I said, if LeBron is serious about winning then he stays with Cleveland. If he wants to run and gun and party in New York, he signs with the Knicks.

ugafan
03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I know this isn't the point of this thread, but imagie this:

PG: Bibby
SG: Johnson
SF: LeBron
PF: Josh Smith
C: Al Horford

with Crawford and Williams off the bench, possibly a top 5 team of all time.

deuces
03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
i think he would prefer joe because he is not a superstar like wade, lebron knows that he can still be the man, but still have an allstar shooting guard to pass it to and help him

*Superman*
03-19-2010, 11:32 AM

1 problem. No money.

ugafan
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
1 problem. No money.

Yeah. :sad2:
Unless the Hawks pick up a star, we're gonna fall off like crazy. Crawford isn't starter material.

masalex1205
03-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Wilson Chandler at PF?

Avenged
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Lebron James and Joe Johnson together is a very good team already. I mean you can have 3 scrubs starting along side them and at least one will look like an all-star and another might be borderline all-star. We know Lebron is willing, but is Johnson? he's only what 28? unless he's at the point where he doesn't care about being the man and just wants to win a championship.

sep11ie
03-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I got a johnson he can play with! NO HOMO!

kntresistheheat
03-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Sorry, but thats very homo!!!

kntresistheheat
03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
i think he would prefer joe because he is not a superstar like wade, lebron knows that he can still be the man, but still have an allstar shooting guard to pass it to and help him

I think you have a valuable point, but I know I rather play along side wade than Joe Johnson:rolleyes:

colinskik
03-19-2010, 11:53 AM
No. That's as homo as it gets, pal.

JIMMY CONWAY
03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
This can also said, " I guarantee Kobe Bryant will never again wear a Lakers jersey," a few years back. This stiff has more **** come out of his mouth than out of his ***...

Raph12
03-19-2010, 11:57 AM

They can't afford that... If you want to go into the realm of fantasy, then;

PG - Nelson
SG - Carter
SF - Lebron
PF - Lewis
C - Dwight

with a deep bench like theirs, possibly a top 1 team of all time. :rolleyes:

sep11ie
03-19-2010, 11:58 AM
No. That's as homo as it gets, pal.

It was pretty homo, but it woulda been more homo if I said I'd play with his Johnson.

colinskik
03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
But on the real...

Joe Johnson would be a great complement to LBJ for many of the reasons already stated. JJ is a low key star type of player so LBJ would still be the top gun, obviously. Douglas I think would really thrive with LBJ taking some of the ball handling responsibilities. Gallo would primarily be a spot up 3 point shooter, because in all reality that's what he is. And Chandler can concentrate on doing the little things to help the team.

PG Toney Douglas
SG Joe Johnson
SF LBJ
PF Gallinari
C - Need to get a guy who is all D.

Then you have Chandler off the bench, hopefully we can keep Bill Walker too.

However, without a big guy at C, this team will have problems against bigger teams like the Lakers

Avenged
03-19-2010, 12:00 PM
They can't afford that... If you want to go into the realm of fantasy, then;

PG - Nelson
SG - Carter
SF - Lebron
PF - Lewis
C - Dwight

with a deep bench like theirs, possibly a top 1 team of all time. :rolleyes:

Put Lebron on the current Lakers squad and that'll be a top 1 team of all time. :laugh2:

philsphorever76
knicks are gonna get him if cleaveland dosent

colinskik
It was pretty homo, but it woulda been more homo if I said I'd play with his Johnson.
Yes, that would have been more homo.

oak2455
03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
How bout Shaq follows LBJ and Joe Johnson because hes from the tri state area.....signs for low based high incentive contract wants another Ring:clap:

PlezPlayDKnicks
03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
But on the real...

Joe Johnson would be a great complement to LBJ for many of the reasons already stated. JJ is a low key star type of player so LBJ would still be the top gun, obviously. Douglas I think would really thrive with LBJ taking some of the ball handling responsibilities. Gallo would primarily be a spot up 3 point shooter, because in all reality that's what he is. And Chandler can concentrate on doing the little things to help the team.

PG Toney Douglas
SG Joe Johnson
SF LBJ
PF Gallinari
C - Need to get a guy who is all D.

Then you have Chandler off the bench, hopefully we can keep Bill Walker too.

However, without a big guy at C, this team will have problems against bigger teams like the Lakers

Disagree.. He is very good at spotting up for 3 but he is far from being only a spot up shooter. Spot up shooters arent 2nd on their team in free throw attempts per game. But thats another arguement for another day.

colinskik
03-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Disagree.. He is very good at spotting up for 3 but he is far from being only a spot up shooter. Spot up shooters arent 2nd on their team in free throw attempts per game. But thats another arguement for another day.
I agree that Gallo has more talent than that of a spot up shooter, but in that imaginary lineup that would be his role, and it would be an important role. If given time, I think Gallo could maybe, (let me repeat -- maybe) be the go to guy on a team, but I don't believe the Knicks are going to wait around to let him develop into that type of player.

Blackjack24
03-19-2010, 12:27 PM
In that lineup too, Gallo would have some of his rebounding duties relieved by LBJ. He'd definitely be able to be a stretch 4.

Any chance the Knicks can dump Curry's soon to be expiring on a useful center next year? That'd solve a lot of things.

deuces
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
how come no knicks fans have chris duhon as their starting pointguard next season?
lol

bkmikeyy
03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
IF knicks get LBJ and Johnson then there will probably be some trades to go along with the signings. Gallo, Chandler, Walker, Toney have all proven they have some value and can be added with the expiring contract of Eddy Curry to bring in a legitimate big man with a contract that might not be so desirable for a small market team. Maybe they can make something work with one or two of those guys and Curry for Collison and Okafor. Hornets would love a cheap SF like Chandler and they would save LOTS of money on Okafor, while Collisons value is going to really drop once Paul comes back. No point in having a back up like that for a top 3 PG in the league that is only 25 years old.

bkmikeyy
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
so with those trades imagine a line up of....
collison
johnson
lbj
gallo
okafor

bench
douglas
walker
tmac (signs for vet min)

they would just need to find a back up big man (draft maybe), or they would possibly have a few million left over to sign one if Johnson takes slightly less than the max.

nycsports2
03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/opportunity_knocks_for_knicks_giddens_b36h0YalG3eq 35EWIvABEP

we are getting joe johnson just not bron..... we suck:facepalm:

J-Relo
03-19-2010, 12:55 PM

you are smoking right?... :facepalm:

JNA17
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
who is that in your sig

i have no idea to be honest. I just found the gif on the site lol.

Either way.... :drool:

J-Relo
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
are all knick fans thinking that their roster of average players are that good? they aren't that bad but c'mon let's be realistic

lvlheaded
03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Joe Johnson has expressed interest in playin in D'Antoni's system, him LBJ and maybe a Camby could win a lot of games

PG: Douglas
SF: James
PF: Gallo
C: Camby

Bench: Chandler, Walker, Rodriguez, Curry, 2nd, 2nd

IRUAM #21
03-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Cool, Lebron's headed to the ATL :hide:

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Joe Johnson is great! I can see why LBJ would want to play alongside him. Solid defender, respectable shooter, great cutting to the basket, handles the ball well and works the boards well for his position. Throw him on the Cavs roster and forget about it.

Its funny though that throughout LBJ's career the issue he's had is getting a decent shooting guard in the rotation. The Cavs have had a great front court the last few years, and have always had a decent point guard, but they've never really had the pure shooter to spread the floor and solid defender at shooting guard to compete with, or at least look respectable against the leagues better shooting guards.

Its usually the center position that kills teams. The Jazz, the Bulls, Barkley's Suns, Barkley's Sixers, the Mavs (the Spurs this year). These teams have always had a hard time finding a true center to really solidify their front court (and the Bulls are the only one to win without a true center) and James (like Kobe) has been pretty blessed to have that front court to play with, but for some reason the position that is usually easier to fill has escaped the Cavs.

There are teams like the Celtics in 08 and the Spurs with Nazr and Nesterovic who won without a great center (though Perkins is a decent player), but both had arguably the best power forward in the league when they won. Other than those two teams and Jordan's Bulls, I can't think of a team in the last 30 years that has won without a really solid center, and those teams usually don't have much of a problem finding a decent shooting guard.

OrderOfCook
03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Extremely good players enjoy the possibility of playing with other good players, story at 6. source. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

JordansBulls
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Buchler also said Kobe in 2007-2008 would never play another game with the Lakers. He also said Boozer would be traded to Chicago. He also said Amare was going to get traded 100% by the deadline.

RadiantShot
03-19-2010, 03:27 PM
*Sniff Sniff*
Shut up Roger!

TheWatcher34
03-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Lebron's decision about where to play next year will not depend on a single player. never. he already is presuming that whatever team he decides to go to, the franchise will do anything to build around him. and in the end, he will resign with Cle.

*Superman*
03-19-2010, 04:06 PM
*Sniff Sniff*
Shut up Roger!

lmao at that quote.

ldc62
03-19-2010, 05:29 PM
If the Knicks end up with no one, then Houston hit the jackpot:dance:

They will probably end up with [only] Amare.

Bashna
03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
If the Knicks end up with no one, then Houston hit the jackpot:dance:

They will probably end up with [only] Amare.

Amare is staying with the suns, whether he opts-in or resigns...

sep11ie
03-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Put Lebron on the current Lakers squad and that'll be a top 1 team of all time. :laugh2:

Yea, that'll prove ow good he is:rolleyes:

RaysFan
03-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Joe Johnson has expressed interest in playin in D'Antoni's system, him LBJ and maybe a Camby could win a lot of games

PG: Douglas
SF: James
PF: Gallo
C: Camby

Bench: Chandler, Walker, Rodriguez, Curry, 2nd, 2nd

Camby is not going to sign for the vet min and that is literally all NY could offer if they sign 2 max-contract players.

Slimsim
03-20-2010, 12:03 AM
how come no knicks fans have chris duhon as their starting pointguard next season?
lol

Toney douglas

jrm2054
03-20-2010, 12:07 AM
why would lebron leave a championship caliber team to go to a team like that with no chance cmon the bosh and lebron ideas at least made sense this is just stupid lebron wants rings not partys

caddiemaster
03-20-2010, 12:09 AM
He said yesterday he's thinking about a west coast team!

dtmagnet
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM
He said yesterday he's thinking about a west coast team!

No, I don't think he ever said that.