PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Tyler Quits Maccabi Haifa

junebug1989
03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Jeremy Tyler quit Maccabi Haifa and returned home to San Diego on Friday, cutting short a disappointing first pro season.

The 18-year-old Tyler arrived in Israel on a wave of publicity in August after deciding to skip his senior year at San Diego High School to gain professional experience.

However, his time in Israel was fraught with problems, and he left two months before the end of the season.

“Due to personal matters, Jeremy chose to leave the team on his own will on March 18 and return home to San Diego,” Maccabi Haifa owner Jeffery Rosen said in a statement. “We wish Jeremy all the best.”

In the 10 games Tyler played for Haifa, the 6-foot-11 power forward averaged only 2.1 points and 1.9 rebounds in 7.6 minutes. Tyler, who reportedly earned a $140,000 salary, found it hard to adapt to the pro game and couldn't find a place in Maccabi Haifa's starting lineup.

Sources: Via Globe and Mail and Real GM

bigsams50
03-19-2010, 10:25 AM
He was an idiot for leavin school early. I wonder what he's gonna do now

arkanian215
03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
damn i thought he went to maccabi tel aviv. pini gershon would've given him his mocha face speech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2iZO5gz_Xw

*Superman*
03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Who?

clutchski
03-19-2010, 10:45 AM
quitter!

pacofunk64
03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
That's why kids don't play in a man's league...& that's not even really a man's league.

IRUAM #21
03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
He can go back to school, right ?

magichatnumber9
03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I hope he can

Miltown34
03-19-2010, 02:07 PM

I hear you can't wants you make money idk

Big Quett
03-19-2010, 02:11 PM

he cant play for college because he is now considered a professional since he has been paid for playing basketball. He essentially ended his college eligibility when he signed with them.

td0tsfinest
03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
These kids really underestimate the euro-league. Communication alone is a strong barrier to overcome. It's a tough and rugged game over there.

This kid made a huge mistake going oversea's, he should've asked Brandon Jennings for some advice. I remember hearing how Jennings got into a plane and flew back home, same day the season had ended. It's not a place for a 19 year old, let a lone a 17 year old.

ManRam
03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Is it mean if I say that I'm glad he failed?

$ NyC $
03-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I actually live in Israel pretty close 2 Haifa (originally from NY), and English is extremely popular here almost every1 speaks English so it shouldn't have been such a problem for him. The team as a whole isn't even all that good so i don't know what exactly he struggled with.

IndyRealist
03-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Poor kid. Got conned into being the poster child for someone else's agenda, and now he has to deal with the consequences.

ripjhb18
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
:laugh2:

So he couldn't cut it there and can't play in college. He doesn't have a high school degree and probably can't get a college one.

Better make that $140,000 last for awhile. Hope it was worth it to him.

AI4MVP
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
wooow. wait so what is he gunna do now? he doesnt have any college eligibility and high school basketball is over for this year. is he gunna sit out an entire year? that wouldnt be to great for his draft stock.

pacofunk64
03-19-2010, 03:37 PM
If I'm an NBA team why not sign him to a very low contract & put him on your NBDL team? He obviously has potential.

Miltown34
03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
That 100,000 has to be mostly gone, after taxes, agent, rent and the dollar is worth more so he doesn't have too much.

Big Quett
03-19-2010, 04:07 PM
If I'm an NBA team why not sign him to a very low contract & put him on your NBDL team? He obviously has potential.

To enter the NBA you have to enter the draft not get pick but enter it. he is not draft eligible. i think even if you consider him a Euro prospect doesnt he have to at least be 19 still?

SeoulBeatz
03-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Is it mean if I say that I'm glad he failed?

no, i was kind of hoping he failed too because the first article i read about Tyler he sounded like a bigheaded arrogant player who was trying to coast his way to the NBA.

im glad he got a wake up call cause now maybe he'll try a bit harder. you can't get off easy young fella.

Big Quett
03-19-2010, 04:09 PM
That 100,000 has to be mostly gone, after taxes, agent, rent and the dollar is worth more so he doesn't have too much.

But most contracts overseas usally already take the taxes out and include room and board. And plus his family was not poor to begin with they arent rich but they are not poor. I think his dad owns a restaurant or something like that

Big Quett
03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
no, i was kind of hoping he failed too because the first article i read about Tyler he sounded like a bigheaded arrogant player who was trying to coast his way to the NBA.

im glad he got a wake up call cause now maybe he'll try a bit harder. you can't get off easy young fella.

How was he trying to coast? He said he wanted to go play overseas because High School wasnt competitive to him. He said he wanted to go play against better competition.

jetsfan28
03-19-2010, 04:12 PM
wooow. wait so what is he gunna do now? he doesnt have any college eligibility and high school basketball is over for this year. is he gunna sit out an entire year? that wouldnt be to great for his draft stock.

I'm guessing he'll play in the D-League next year

SeoulBeatz
03-19-2010, 04:28 PM
How was he trying to coast? He said he wanted to go play overseas because High School wasnt competitive to him. He said he wanted to go play against better competition.

in the article i read his maccabi coach was saying that Tyler wasn't putting in enough effort and felt that he could walk in and get the starting job right away.

so yes, he obviously thought he could get away with not giving his all, but he was dead wrong and now he quit.

R_O_W_E
03-19-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm guessing he'll play in the D-League next year

He has to. There is no where else he can go since he cant go back to HS and play.

NBDL is better for him anyways because he'll be facing NBA guys who play the NBA style game, it also will give him an opportunity to work on his skills.

Hes still a Lottery Pick.

Corey
03-19-2010, 05:07 PM
:laugh2:

So he couldn't cut it there and can't play in college. He doesn't have a high school degree and probably can't get a college one.

Better make that $140,000 last for awhile. Hope it was worth it to him.

Considering that's entry level for about 5 and a half years, he'll be fine for a while.

All he needs to do is kill the remaining time of his non-eligibility, sign on with a d-league team and practice.

This kid was so hyped, and is VERY talented. He just didn't adapt well. There's no doubt in my mind that many NBA teams are interested in his upside down the road.