PDA

View Full Version : How to revive the dunk contest?

lebronaliers
03-18-2010, 02:31 PM
http://peteprose.com/2010/03/reviving-the-dunk-contest/

basically like the article says they should just go with what they promised they'd do for the last one. lebron needs to step up.

GoatMilk
03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
cancel it for a few years, then when it comes back the hype will be huge.
we'll all be salivating for it

D1JM
03-18-2010, 02:37 PM
lebron is scared that he might lose the dunk contest, thats why he dont do it

macc
03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm not a Lebron hater by no means, but when he said he would be in this years dunk comp and then decided not to. I thought that was a kick in the balls to alot of fans. I mean if you're not going to do it thats fine, but why say you will on national tv?

As far as reviving it, big names help. Or I wouldn't mind seeing a youtube slam dunk winner play against some big names.

Theres still alot of dunks that we haven't seen in the NBA yet. Hell, search dunks on youtube and you'll see alot of crazy stuff.

The key is being creative, it's not all about difficulty anymore. Lets see some summersaults invovled in the dunk. Lets see a double alley oop. Heck, even turn on a game of 2k and watch some of the dunks that are very capable of our nba players to do.

Also you need great athletes but great entertainers as well. You look at the Dwight Howard Superman dunk, yes it was a cool dunk but the way Dwight sold it made it even better.

I like the idea of a 11-12 ft high basket to dunk on.

Or let the fans choose the contestants like they do the all star game.

Theres ways of saving the dunk contest but its like Stern doesn't really try anything new.

DCB/LAL
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Use trampolines? :shrug:

Like slamball the only reason I use to watch was to see if there would be any cool dunks either way thats doesn't really take talent but oh well we've pretty much already seen everything you can see why not change it up?

GSW Hoops
03-18-2010, 03:38 PM
cancel it for a few years, then when it comes back the hype will be huge.
we'll all be salivating for it

Exactly right. Have it once every 3-4 years and all the big stars will want to compete because it will be a huge deal. Same with the 3-point contest and other events. Then you can make it a huge 12-man field instead of just 3 or 4 guys.

I think the all-star weekend needs to rotate events in and out to keep things fresh. East vs. West one year, U.S. vs. International players another year, etc.

nuggetsyankees
03-18-2010, 03:42 PM
have some people from the AND1 Steeetball team participate

Miltown34
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Yea and Team Flight brothers 2 people from non- NBA and 2 NBA players

nuggetsyankees
03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
maybe even have European players participate in the Skills Challenge

nuggetsyankees
or 3-point contest

Corey
I don't think it's ever going to be good again unless superstars step up.

This 'youth jam' thing is a terrible idea, and whoever thought it up should be fired. I have nothing against young players, and Nate has been entertaining (not this year, but in other years)...but it doesn't compare to when the best players/scorers in the league were competing.

All of the allure is gone.

nuggetsyankees
03-18-2010, 04:04 PM
put marion in the contest for all i care he's probably a better player than anyone else that's gonna be in the contest

RaptorizedKevin
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Get These people in the dunk contest

Josh Smith
Dwight Howard
Nate Robinson
Lebron james

that contest will be so sick .

RaptorizedKevin
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM
put marion in the contest for all i care he's probably a better player than anyone else that's gonna be in the contest

Oh man marion is so sick he hsould had been there years ago though. his leggs arent the same :S. but he could try lmao .

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
to revive the dunk contest...

LeBron
Wade
VC
Josh Smith

sep11ie
03-18-2010, 04:24 PM
James White needs to be in it

jmtapia
03-18-2010, 04:26 PM
actually have the best dunkers in the league... ei. LBJ

topdog
03-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Use trampolines? :shrug:

lol for some reason this cracks me up!

I like the idea of fan voting, though part of the problem is guys actually willing to compete.

I don't think they need a major overhall, but maybe try-outs and dunk screening with a couple month advance commitment.

Raidaz4Life
03-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Put Shannon Brown in the dunk contest. Oh wait....

J-Relo
03-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Josh Smith
Dwight Howard
Nate Robinson
Lebron james

throw out Nate and maybe then we can talk...

PS: check out JAMES WHITE

TheGreenMonster
03-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Let playboy models participate on a trampoline.

JIMMY CONWAY
03-18-2010, 04:59 PM
lebron is scared that he might lose the dunk contest, thats why he dont do it

He will lose it. He's a good dunker but isn't creative enough. All the greats have won it...

Michael
Kobe
Nique
Lebron? Nope.

Miltown34
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
we need 2 invite some of the best people in the world to these competitions. If YouTube Tdub from team flgiht brothers he can get up as high and as quick any NBA player I have seen.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Josh Smith
Dwight Howard
Nate Robinson
Lebron james

please no :puke: