PDA

View Full Version : "Who had the better year" vs "Who was the better player" - Is it the same answer?

JordansBulls
03-18-2010, 01:55 PM
When discussing players in the NBA there generally is a concensus when it comes to what player was better than the other in any given year. However I do wonder at times if everyone feels the same on this topic.

Here is the question.

Is the answer the same between the player:

"Who had the better year" vs "Who was the better player"

mikantsass
03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
If Kobe wins a championship and LeBron wins the MVP...

Kobe had the better year but Lebron was the better player.

Is that what you mean?

Hawkeye15
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
If Kobe wins a championship and LeBron wins the MVP...

Kobe had the better year but Lebron was the better player.

Is that what you mean?

there it is. Once a superstar gets to the level of being a top 5 player, the better year comes from who had more team success. Who was the better player is from stats and bottom line dominance

Niro
03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
there it is. Once a superstar gets to the level of being a top 5 player, the better year comes from who had more team success. Who was the better player is from stats and bottom line dominance

this

camador22
03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Durants having a better year then both Wade and Kobe but he's not a better player yet. Boozer having a better season then both Bosh and Amare and yet everyone will look to sign the other two first. Players have off years and players have lucky seasons like Devin Harris and Danny Granger last season. The consistent players are always better

Hawkeye15
03-18-2010, 04:12 PM
eh, Durant is having a better offensive year then either. There is a difference. And Durant, at this point, probably is a better scorer then either Wade or Kobe. That is what Durant does.

JordansBulls
03-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Good examples have been used thus far supporting both claims. I guess this shows the view of most is different.

Also I would assume having the better year either means winning it all, or going further than you should have.

J-Relo
03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
"Who had the better year" vs "Who was the better player"

accomplishments (more of teamwise) vs stats (individual)?

mikantsass
03-18-2010, 05:04 PM
I guess it can work on the flip....

Say the Bobcats make it to the 2nd round and Stephen Jackson carried them. The Cavs get upset in the first round but LeBron wins DPOY, MVP & scoring title.

Would we say Jax is the better player and LeBron had the better year?

JordansBulls
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I guess it can work on the flip....

Say the Bobcats make it to the 2nd round and Stephen Jackson carried them. The Cavs get upset in the first round but LeBron wins DPOY, MVP & scoring title.

Would we say Jax is the better player and LeBron had the better year?

No, because Jackson isn't a top 5 player or anything. Like last year with Dwight as the #3 seed upsetting Lebron as the #1 seed and best record, you can make a case for saying Dwight was better because of that.

I value losing with HCA tremendously.

Personally I feel that if you have the better record and you have the better star player you should win the series.

cheerio
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM

:clap:

JordansBulls
03-23-2010, 08:49 AM
eh, Durant is having a better offensive year then either. There is a difference. And Durant, at this point, probably is a better scorer then either Wade or Kobe. That is what Durant does.

Well Wade and Durant have to score.

JNA17
03-23-2010, 10:27 AM

fail

avrpatsfan
03-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Nailed it.

/thread

Raph12
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
With Z back and Shaq returning in the 2nd round, he has more than enough talent around him to win, it will be upto how badly he wants it and if he doesn't win, it'll be because he doesn't have that killer instinct to go get it.

And when I'm comparing players, that killer instinct does play it's part and the rings also play their part. If Lebron doesn't win a ring this season, he's still not the best player in my book.

Ovratd1up
03-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Not necessarily. Chris Kaman had a better year than Kevin Garnett, but KG is probably still a better player, and had more team success.

Lakersfanla24
03-23-2010, 07:51 PM
With Z back and Shaq returning in the 2nd round, he has more than enough talent around him to win, it will be upto how badly he wants it and if he doesn't win, it'll be because he doesn't have that killer instinct to go get it.

And when I'm comparing players, that killer instinct does play it's part and the rings also play their part. If Lebron doesn't win a ring this season, he's still not the best player in my book.

This, and if he does win the title it will be hard not to call him the best right now but i still wont like him just respect his game more.

Lakersfanla24
03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
to reply to the thread i don't think its the same answer. as many have posted if your top 5 player and a champion at the end of the year you obviously had a better year then someone with ridiculous stats. Which for some reason possibly people just looking at the box-score rather than actually watching the game has become the determining factor of who the "better" player is. :rolleyes: